Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 25- a cup o' kindness

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days of auld lang syne?
And days of auld lang syne, my dear,
And days of auld lang syne.
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days of auld lang syne? And ther's a hand, my trusty friend,
And gie's a hand o' thine;
We'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne."

Robbie Burns

_____________________________________________________________

Harry sat in front of the fire. Ron and Hermione joined him with a bag of marshmallows and some sticks.

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked. After talking to Draco and seeing how upset he was she knew some of Harry's memories must have been very upsetting.

"I'm better. Dumbledore and I talked." Harry smiled at her but his green eyes still looked worried.

"Did Draco go to talk to you?"

Harry smiled softly. "Yeah that was a surprise. We sort of ironed some things out. He actually made me realize there was something I needed to do."

Ron's brow wrinkled. "It's nothing dangerous is it, because I still don't trust him."

"No, no, it's nothing like that." Harry took a deep breath and skewered one of the marshmallows on a stick. He held it into the flames, watching it turn brown.

Ron and Hermione looked at each other, confused. "So what is it then?" Hermione asked softly.

Harry swallowed, looking rather uncomfortable. "The prophecy."

Hermione sighed. "Don't worry about it, Harry. It's pointless to wonder what it said."

"I know what it predicted,” he responded in a quiet voice.

Ron moved closer. "How?"

"Last year after what happened, Dumbledore took me into his office. We talked – well, he talked; I yelled and destroyed his office."

"What?!" Hermione asked in disbelief.

"I was upset with him over Sirius' death and for not telling me about a lot of things." Harry looked at her with wide eyes. His gaze went back to the fire. "After I calmed down he told me there was something he had been keeping from me for years." He took a deep shuddering breath.

Hermione went closer to him and put her head on his shoulder. "It's okay;  whatever it is it's okay. You can tell us."

"Come on, Harry,” Ron encouraged.

"Dumbledore had the real prophecy; the one that was destroyed was just a copy,” he explained.

"What did it say?" Hermione whispered anxiously.

"Basically that I’m the only one who can vanquish Voldemort, that neither of us can live while the other survives. If I want to live I have to kill him,” Harry said quietly, feeling rather sick. Hermione clutched him tighter. Ron bit his lip, looking at him with immense sympathy welling in his eyes.

"I'll help you any way I can,” Ron assured him.

"Me too,” Hermione responded fiercely.

"No,” choked out Harry. "I don't want either of you to die. I couldn't stand it." He buried his face in Hermione's hair.

Hermione pulled back and put her hands on either side of his face. "Listen. If you don't kill him neither Ron nor I will live anyway. If he wins everyone we care about will be dead." She glanced at Ron, who moved closer and nodded. "Ron and I would rather die trying to help you win than die doing nothing."

"It's not your job to keep us safe, Harry,” Ron softly added. ****************************************************************

Draco woke up hours later feeling rested and stronger than he had in days. Snape had sat beside him after their talk until he had fallen asleep. Professor McGonagall had just come into the room.

"How are you feeling?" she asked with a smile.

He grinned. "Hungry."

"Now that's good news. I was sent to check up on you and to see if you'd like to come for a little while to the Gryffindor common room for food and roasted marshmallows."

Draco looked around. "Where's Professor Snape?"

"He had to go to his office and do some preparation for next week’s classes."

Draco paused. The thought of sitting around a fire with the Golden Trio was ludicrous, yet a part of him was jealous of what they had and to be a part of it was tempting.

Minerva watched the emotions cross Draco's face. Years of resentment and hate didn't normally vanish so quickly, yet after what he had suffered at the hands of his father there was hope that he would grasp  the offer of friendship. She knew Draco acted rashly at times but he was intelligent.

"Maybe I could try for a little while?" He looked at her hesitantly.

"Of course. You can come right back here whenever you want. Come on now; you need to get some food into you as once again the men have forgotten you also need good nourishment."

Draco smiled as she was always trying to get food into him. "Um, Professor McGonagall, I need to get dressed."

She shook her head. "Professor Snape has strict instructions that you rest for this evening, which means you will be on the sofa in front of the fire. You can put your robe over your pajamas."

"But Hermione will be there."

McGonagall's eyebrows shot up. "Yes, is that a problem?"

Draco flushed slightly.

"After they found you, and when we were trying to heal you, you wore considerably less at times, so seeing you in a robe and pajamas certainly won't be a shock to her."

"I didn't mean that, I…" with a frustrated snort Draco stopped and just slipped into the robe McGonagall held out.

"Mr. Weasley mentioned after the Occlumency lesson that you had asked for me. I'm sorry I was in Hogsmeade, but I wanted to reassure you that you are welcome to come and talk to me anytime."

Draco froze for a moment. "What did Weasley say?"

"Not much, just that you had wanted to talk to me and since I wasn't around you went to Professor Dumbledore. I spoke to Professor Snape later, however. I'm so sorry for everything that happened to you."

He nodded.

"You are safe now." She squeezed his arm. "Are you starting to feel a little better?"

"Yes." He gave her a small smile.

When they entered the Gryffindor common room, the mood seemed very somber. The Golden Trio looked up at him but they seemed distracted and looked uncomfortable.

Draco cleared his throat. "I don't have to be here; I can go back again."

Harry was the first one on his feet. "No, stay - we were just talking." His green eyes looked worried. He added, "I told them."

Draco realized he was talking about those strange eerie words he had heard during the Occlumency lesson.

"Malfoy knows?" Ron burst out incredulous.

Hermione put a restraining hand on his arm, realization dawning. "I think he heard part of it during Harry's Occlumency lesson."

Draco gave a quick nod in their direction, then looked at Harry. "I'm glad you found the guts to tell them."

Harry's eyes narrowed. "It wasn't a matter of guts."

Draco swallowed, realizing he would have to pay more attention to what he said to the golden boy. Old habits were hard to break. He nodded again as Professor McGonagall prodded him towards the sofa.

"Mr. Malfoy is under strict orders to stay on the sofa, nothing strenuous. I have a vial of the stomach potion in case he needs it." She handed it to Hermione. "Professor Snape will come and pick him up in a few hours. I trust you will all behave yourselves?" She looked at them sternly. "If you need me, use the fireplace. I will be having a New Year's toast with the other professors in the headmaster’s office."

After she left, Ron broke into a huge grin. "Well, now that it's getting closer to midnight, I'll bring out the surprise. Seamus left it for us for Christmas, actually, but since we weren't here I thought I'd wait till New Year's to bring it out." He disappeared for a moment and then brought out a case of six Butterbeers.

"It's the alcoholic kind." Ron grinned.

"No; no way! We can't drink that! We could get expelled for that!" Hermione shrieked, freaking out..

Draco burst out laughing. "Is she always like this?"

Ron grinned. "Pretty much."

Harry smiled fondly at Hermione.

"Well I'm not drinking any!" she declared in a huff.

"Come on ‘Mione, you know they aren't very strong, you can have one,” Ron coaxed.

"I've seen what drinking those does to people,” she countered.

"Crabbe and Goyle and I have had them,” Draco spoke up.

She snorted. "Well then, point proven."

Draco sneered. "I thought you Gryffindors were supposed to be nice."

She glared at him while Harry and Ron tried to suppress their laughter.

Ron popped a bottle open and handed one to Harry and Draco.

"Ron, Draco's not well yet; he shouldn't be drinking,” Hermione insisted, looking at him with worry.

"I'm fine.” Draco said with a disgruntled tone in his voice.

Harry handed him a plate of sandwiches and some roasted marshmallows. "At least eat something or McGonagall will have all our heads."

Draco put the plate of sandwiches on his lap and started eating.

Hermione grabbed one of the bottles and popped one open herself.

"I thought you weren't going to have any?" Harry asked.

She smiled. "I changed my mind." She took a tiny sip. "Do you realize they don't taste very different from the regular Butterbeers?”

Ron smirked. "Yes they do, much better."

"The alcoholic content is really low and besides it's not like we're going anywhere tonight,” Harry stated.

Hermione leant back, smiling mischievously, "So, time for truth; who’s the last person you’ve kissed?"

Harry blushed. "Cho. What about you, Ron?"

"Padma,” Ron replied sadly. Then he added, "Malfoy, what about you?"

"Pansy -  well, actually, she kissed me. Hermione, what about you?"

Hermione, with a glint in her eye, replied "Harry."

“What!” both Draco and Ron responded. Ron looked in shock at his best friend, while Draco found himself feeling envious.

Harry's eyes widened as he looked at Hermione with surprise.

She giggled. "On the cheek. Ron didn't specify where."

Harry smiled softly, remembering when she did that.

"I thought you meant on the lips, of course,” Ron grumbled.

"A lady doesn't kiss and tell." Hermione grinned, lifting her chin.

After eating the sandwiches and drinking the Butterbeer, an incredible sleepiness overcame Draco and he found it hard keeping his eyes open.

"Shhhhh, our guest has fallen asleep." Harry interrupted Ron's recap on his first outing on his Firebolt.

Hermione went closer to the sofa, gently removing the mug that dangled precariously close to the edge. She pulled a blanket over him.

"Who would ever have thought that the three of us would be spending New Year's Eve with Draco Malfoy,” she asked.

Ron snorted. "Certainly not me." Then he laughed softly. "I'm surprised Trelawney didn't predict it - it would have been bizarre enough."

As they munched on the last of their Honeydukes Christmas chocolates, Harry filled them in on Dumbledore's plan to teach them all Occlumency and more skills to fight the Dark Arts with.

Hermione got very excited at the prospect of more classes in the New Year. "I can't wait! I wonder if we'll learn how to Apparate?” Her enthusiasm was interrupted by Draco.

"No, stop it please … hurts so much, stop please,” Draco screamed, thrashing about.

Draco woke up breathing hard and realized that the Golden Trio were looking at him in shock. With a shuddering breath, he realized tears were coursing down his face. "Damn it!" he whispered. He pushed them out of the way, leapt off the bed and headed for the door. He didn't want any more pity.

Stunned by his sudden action, Ron, Harry and Hermione jumped up to go after him.

"Draco, it's okay, come back!” Hermione yelled after him.

"Accio Malfoy!” Ron blurted out, waving his wand.

Draco came to a dead stop and found himself lifted off his feet and thrown backwards; he landed in a heap on the soft carpet almost on top of Ron.

Stunned, he sat up, wiping his face and breathing in shock. Hermione immediately went down and put an arm around him. "Are you okay? Ron, you're not supposed to use that spell on a person!"

"Sorry, but it jumped into my mind when I was trying to stop him." He and Harry knelt down beside him. "Sorry, Malfoy; I didn't mean to hurt you."

"I'm not hurt,” Draco said quietly, trying to even out his breathing.

"You don't need to be embarrased,” Harry added.

"I'm not,” Draco responded, refusing to look up.

"It was the Cruciatus Curse, wasn't it?" Harry asked, his green eyes wide with shock.

Draco reluctantly nodded. He patted Hermione's arm and pulled out of her embrace.

"Your father?" Harry probed.

Draco's gray gaze looked at Harry angrily. He shouted, "Who else?” Then, taking another calming breath, he explained. "When I was eleven, I ran away to Hogwarts  after - after he was upset with me. Later, when I went back for a weekend during school, he punished me with the curse." His voice had dropped to a whisper but then he took a deep breath and got to his feet.

He went back and lay down on the sofa, looking at them with resentment.

Harry saw that he was covering his embarrassment with the classic Malfoy glare. He decided to change the topic so the focus wasn’t on Malfoy and he would feel more comfortable. "Hey, it's almost midnight; grab a mug."

They lifted all lifted their mugs, making wishes for a happy New Year. As Ron and Hermione were laughing over something. Harry thought of Sirius and turned away from the others for a moment as he closed his eyes. He opened them again and turned back, meeting Draco's tortured gaze.

Draco tried to focus on the new year ahead. He was sure would be an improvement over the old one but for a moment he thought of Lucius, the looming specter that hung over him. He met Harry's wounded look.

Draco cleared his throat and quietly said, "To your godfather." Harry cleared his throat and lifted his glass, connecting it with Draco's. Then  he added, "To Snape." Draco smiled softly, not breaking the connection with Harry. "To a better year."

After a New Year’s feast in the Great Hall Draco and Harry found themselves in Professor Snape's office.

He had requested a meeting with both of them.

He beckoned them to sit down on the sofa as he sat in a chair across from them.

"Draco, I realize you are wary and at this point opposed to any more Occlumency lessons but you are in danger and because of what you now know your knowledge puts us all in danger. Therefore private Occlumency lessons are a must and in a few weeks when you have fully recovered from your injuries we will continue."

Draco looked resentful and shook his head.

"If the Dark Lord gets hold of you and probes your mind, he will know I am a double agent and that I am teaching Harry Occlumency. Which means that I am as good as dead,” Snape stated, looking Draco in the eye.

He turned a shade paler as the defiance left his eyes. "Okay,” he agreed quietly.

Snape nodded. "Thank you."

He looked over at Harry, who looked apprehensive. He knew the teen was worried that he would never learn Occlumency but with the dreams starting up again, it was of the utmost importance to train him immediately.

"I have asked you both to be here today because there are some things I want you to see about me, to better understand me. To not fly off the handle if I say something that upsets your delicate sensibilities. My life has not been easy; it is something the three of us share in various degrees. I have not always handled things well."

He got up. "Harry, as you have done once before, I want you to perform Legilimency on me. Draco, I want you to put your hand on Harry's wand so you too will see these images. They are important."

Draco reluctantly put his hand on the wand. He glanced at Potter who looked incredibly uncomfortable.

Harry reluctantly held the wand; he knew the pain and agony that lay at end of the Legilimens spell. He cleared his throat. "Legilimens."

In the first flash they saw a hook-nosed dark-haired man hitting a lovely young woman, knocking her into a wall. A young, thin, dark-haired boy ran up to the woman while the man grabbed him by the hair and viciously hit him, knocking him out.

The next flash showed the young boy lying on the ground while the man chanted a spell that caused bloody gashes to appear on his body as he writhed in agony.

The next flash showed a dark-haired teenager with tears streaming down his face reading a letter stating that his father had killed his mother.

A mind-numbings pain accompanied the next image as the Dark Mark was burned into the teenage Snape's skin.

They then saw a young Snape hurling the Avada Kedavra curse at the older hook-nosed man. Snape then fell to his knees, curling into a ball.

Then a rush of terrible fear, horror and guilt as an entire family was murdered in front of their eyes.

Then Snape crying as he looked into the vacant green eyes of the woman in his arms.

Then an adult version of Snape backhanding Draco, knocking him into a wall.

Then Snape snarling that the events at Hogsmeade were all Harry's fault.

Then Dumbledore on the floor beside Snape with his arm around him as he sobbed.

Draco, shaking violently, let go of the wand and fell to the floor. Harry lifted the spell. He too was trembling and he had seen enough.

Snape collapsed to the ground, shivering violently, tears coursing down his face, as he held his head in his hands. Snape felt sick and his heart ached. His life had been an endless array of hopeless years full of heartache and pain. The only lifeline that had kept him going was the headmaster who offered him salvation, hope and optimism. Things that he latched onto but never allowed himself to really believe possible.

He looked at Harry whose wonderful green eyes were so like his mother’s. His eyes had welled up full of sympathy. Would he too end up lying dead, those eyes closed to him forever because the dark side won? How could he help Harry to defeat the Dark Lord when he doubted that it was possible? How much more heartache lay in the future?

His blurry eyes lit on Draco, who had crumbled to the floor and was trying to hide the tears racing down his cheeks. Would Lucius get him and kill him, would the Dark Lord torture him to death for choosing the light?

Would he have to watch all this or would he hopefully be dead before this happened? He hoped his cursed existence would have ended before any of that happened.

Knowing that Malfoy was still recovering, Harry dropped down beside him first while keeping a concerned eye on Snape. He put his hand on his shoulder but Malfoy pulled away. He was shaking.

"Come on, you know Snape needs us. Take those deep breaths,” Harry said softly.

His eyes opened, looking angry. "Why don't you go to him and get out of my face!”

Harry's eyes narrowed, not understanding Malfoy's hostility. He shook his head at him. He went over to Snape. "Are you okay?"

Snape sat back, wiping his face. "I'm fine, Harry."

Harry swallowed. "I don't know what to say."

"You don't need to say anything but since we need to work together closely I think it's important for you." He stopped and glanced at Draco. "Both of you to understand me better."

Draco refused to look at him; he hastily wiped his face and shakily got to his feet.

"Draco, come over here please.” Snape spoke up.

Draco stopped moving (he had turned towards the door). He wanted to leave. Snape had had a similar childhood, except he had had a mother who seemed to love him. The images he had seen had shaken him thoroughly but the one when Snape had hit him made his heart ache and his face burn. Knowing how it felt to be beaten, Snape had slapped him that day. How could he have done that, knowing how it felt? Draco took a deep breath. He needed to go away by himself and think. His head was swimming with the images he had seen - he couldn't think clearly.

"Draco, please?" Snape's voice came softly. He turned, looking at Snape still sitting on the floor. Harry sat beside him. He shook his head and left the room.

"Do you want me to go after him?" Harry asked with annoyance in his voice.

"No, he's upset. I'll talk to him later."

Harry snorted. "He's a selfish brat sometimes."

Snape looked at him with surprise. "I'd have expected a little more empathy from you,” he stated curtly.

"You just showed us some of the worst memories of your life; you obviously have a lot in common with Draco. After his own Occlumency lesson he should realize how hard that was for you, yet he's run off being angry again."

"I know why he's upset and angry - did you not see me backhand him in one of those memories?"

Harry had been so horrified by the images that the one of Snape hitting Draco hadn't left a huge imprint on him. "I guess so, but I'm assuming that happened long ago."

"In the early fall, but you need to realize now, knowing that I had a life similar to his, my hitting him when I know how it feels to be beaten has put him into turmoil. He hasn't realized that growing up so violently makes one lash out. He usually doesn't do it with his fists but with his words, as do I, but I lost control with him that one time. He's too upset with me right now to stop and think that I apologized and have never repeated that, nor do I ever intend to lose control again."

Harry looked at him, his eyes wide with compassion. He asked in a quiet voice," You killed your father?"

Snape sighed deeply. "Yes. After I took the Dark Mark I felt powerful and invincible. I killed him not for all the things he had done to me but for killing my mother. I thought it would make me feel stronger and justified but instead I felt empty. I had let my hatred turn me into a killer. I was just like him,” Snape whispered.

"NO! You aren’t,” Harry protested. "You turned to the light."

Snape looked at him with a haunted look.

"What made you turn to the light?"

"Seeing a family of Muggles die at the hands of a group of Death Eaters I was with. I went to Dumbledore and begged for mercy that night. He granted it. He calmed me, he gave me hope. He taught me Occlumency, he gave me a path to follow, the only path that offered me the hope that one day the possibility existed that I could feel a little redeemed for all the awful things I had done,” Snape hoarsely explained.

"You really loved my mother?"

Snape looked at him with his dark, unfathomable eyes and nodded. He didn't say it out loud but once in a while he looked at Harry and for a split second pretended he was his son and Lily’s. Then James Potter entered his mind and the pleasant thought dissipated.

"I can understand why you wanted Draco to see this, but why me?" Harry asked thoughtfully.

"Would you rather not have seen this?"

Harry raised his eyes to his. "It helps me to understand you better."

"Good, then it has achieved what I wanted it to,” Snape stated. "Tomorrow we will have another Occlumency lesson so I want you to go and practice."

Harry nodded as they both stood up. Snape stiffly headed over to the sofa and sat down in front of the fire, staring into the flames while absentmindedly petting Loki.

Harry headed to Snape's private rooms, where he knew he would find Malfoy.

****************************************************************

Draco had stormed out of Snape's office. He would have gone down to the lake if he wasn't afraid of one of the professors catching him and then forcing him into the hospital wing, possibly putting him in restraints as Lupin had threatened. He knew he still hadn't recovered. His chest hurt again and he was short of breath.

He went to Snape's room. The bed he had spent the night on yesterday was still there. Soon when classes started he would be back in the Slytherin rooms amongst his fellow classmates, pretending that none of this had happened. In private he would be taking Occlumency and other special lessons. After feeling the immense agony and pain of the Dark Mark from Snape's memory, he knew that Snape had spoken the truth about life as a Death Eater.

He sat down on the bed, closing his eyes. Snape's memories had shaken him to the core. Suddenly a door opened and closed with a bang. Startled, he jumped but then just stared resentfully when Potter came into the bedroom.

"So here you are wallowing in self pity,” Harry spat at him.

"Shut up, Potter,” he growled angrily.

"When Snape needs you, you run away and yet you profess to care about him and whine that he's the only person you have. Or is this the usual selfish, spoiled Malfoy behaviour? He's there when you need him when it's convenient but if the situation is reversed you couldn't care less?"

It took every ounce of self-control Draco had to not jump off the bed and sock Harry. Instead he took some steadying breaths and narrowed his icy eyes at him.

"So what happens now? First chance you get to score marks with Voldemort you'll tell him everything you know? If today is any indication you obviously don't care if Snape suffers, so what does it matter if Voldemort kills him?"

The last ounce of self-control evaporated and a blind rage overcame Draco as he flew at Harry, fists raised. Harry easily sidestepped him. "Acting like Lucius, are you?" Potter's words stopped Draco cold in his tracks. "Don't you realize Snape did this for us? So we could understand him better. For me to not hold it against him and act irrationally when on occasion he snaps? For you to not become what he is, bitter and angry. Why couldn't you have reached out to him and let him know that you care? He loves you, he really does. How could you let him down like that?" Potter spoke so calmly and quietly that the words seeped into Draco's brain.

An overwhelming cloud of guilt descended on him. Potter swam before his eyes as he backed away and stumbled to the bed again.

Harry looked at his former nemesis, hating himself for saying what he did but knowing that Malfoy needed to hear it if there was ever any chance of them all working together.

He sat down on the bed near him, watching as Malfoy angrily wiped at his face. He felt a pang of guilt, noting how pale he was and how badly he trembled. Snape's memories, his own Occlumency lesson, and his reactions to both had set back his recovery. Yet he weathered the blows in his own ways.

Harry cleared his throat. "You know he entrusted us both with his memories because he wants us to be united in this battle against Voldemort,” he stated softly, trying to reach Malfoy and make him focus.

Draco looked up, the gray eyes still pained; he bit his lip as the truth of Potter’s words sunk in. The dark-haired teen held out his hand. "Truce." Draco gulped a mouthful of air as he tentatively grasped Potter's hand. "Truce."

*****************************************************************

Snape walked into his rooms later with a plate of food and a glass of pumpkin juice. He wasn't angry with Draco for his behaviour, a bit disappointed perhaps, but he had been pleased by Harry's efforts. Draco needed more time and lots of patience. As Dumbledore suggested, perhaps it was time to discuss the past with the boy, so he would understand things a bit better. He suspected Draco had gone to his private rooms for fear of punishment if he jeopardized his recovery by going outside after being expressly forbidden from doing so. He found Draco lying on the bed looking pale and tired. Draco immediately sat up as his guardian entered the room.

"Since you missed lunch I brought you some food,” Snape stated curtly as he set it down on the nightstand. He then went back into the main room and sat down in front of the fireplace, wondering how he would talk to Draco.

Draco's heart felt tight and his stomach queasy when Snape had entered. He wasn't hungry but he knew Snape would insist he eat if he just left it. So he took a few swallows of the pumpkin juice and ate half a sandwich. Snape had barely said two words to him. He hadn't seemed angry or sad, just distanced.

He stood up feeling shaky but went into the other room where Snape sat staring at the fire. Snape didn't look up, which made Draco feel even worse.

He took a step closer. "I'm sorry,” he whispered.

Snape still didn't look up. "Sorry for what, Draco? Sorry for running away? Sorry for not at least making an effort? Sorry that Potter did make the effort?" Snape asked, his voice sounding slightly more bitter than he had meant it to.

When no answer came, he glanced up to find Draco near him; he stared into the fireplace, his chin quivering slightly, his breath coming in quiet shallow pants.

"Sit down,” Snape commanded.

Draco sat in a chair across from him, finally lifting his eyes to his. He looked miserable. "I'm sorry I left,” came his shaky response.

Snape looked at him with dark narrowed eyes. "Why did you?'

A slight flicker of anger surged in Draco's expression. His eyes narrowed slightly, the guilt he had felt over Potter's words momentarily vanishing. He responded defensively, “Maybe I was worried I'd get backhanded again."

Snape's expression stayed calm but his voice acquired a dangerous silky note. "That's hardly a fair response. I had hoped you could at least find the courage to be honest."

Draco flinched as if Snape had slapped him. Resentment welled in his eyes. His usual drawl had a note of unrestrained anger. "It doesn't take courage to hit someone you care about!"

Snape nodded. "It takes anger to make one do that." Then Snape added softly, "But courage to admit it was a regrettable action."

Draco visibly calmed, the anger in his eyes subsiding a little.

"Why do you think I showed you these memories?"

Draco looked at him, hurt and confusion in his eyes. "To show me your father wasn't any better than mine."

"In part, but mostly to show you that I've been in a similar place in which you are now. The turning point for me was that I had the headmaster as my lifeline during a time in which I didn't care if I lived or died. I think you've been at that point and you need to realize that you have lots of support here. Draco, I did not mean to hit you that day - a lifetime of anger and violence broke out in me and unfortunately you took the blow. I wanted you and Harry to understand why I have lashed out at both of you on occasion. I am fighting a battle within myself and I am winning it more now than I've ever been able to." He got up and went to sit beside Draco. "I'm sorry I hit you and I'm sorry the memory upset you so much." He squeezed Draco's shoulder reassuringly.

Draco's hand came up to wipe his eyes, desperately trying but failing to stop the tears that pooled there. "That last image of you and Dumbledore -  why were you … what happened to make …" He stumbled over the words, not sure how to express what he wanted to know.

"The last image was just after we found you half-dead by the Shrieking Shack. I brought you back here and tried everything I could think of to save you but nothing was working. The headmaster offered me comfort."

Snape looked at Draco; tears were sliding down his cheeks. He pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and handed it to Draco, who took it and blew his nose loudly. Snape sighed. One moment Draco was angry and then the next he was practically bursting into tears; emotions were completely unchecked and volatile. He knew that it would take time and lots of support to bring Draco to a form of normalcy. The healing process was moving forward, albeit slowly, but just as Harry was making advancements so was Draco. He lightly draped an arm around his shoulders.

"All through our years at Hogwarts, your father and I were friends. We secretly brewed potions together to hide the scars, welts, and wounds our fathers inflicted on us during holidays,” Snape explained quietly.

Draco looked up, startled. "My father?"

Snape nodded. "Your grandfather was a very violent man and unfortunately Lucius learned his lessons well and has passed them on to you."

Draco winced.

"You are stronger than your father is - you are rebellious and you have already proved you walk your own path."

Draco grew silent for a moment, staring at the floor. "How did you escape?"

"I wasn't as strong as you. I thought power was the only option, the only escape. I turned to the Darl Lord and eagerly took the Dark Mark. I then went and killed my father, thinking that it would make up for my mother's death. Instead, all I felt was empty. Life as a Death Eater wasn't what I thought it would be, either. My father was a brutal man that thrived on pain but he was nothing compared to the Dark Lord. I lost any pride I had left; I almost lost my humanity. I realized that one night when a family of innocent people died at the hands of a group of Death Eaters I belonged to. That night I went to the headmaster and sought the light."

Draco looked at him in awe. "You’re a spy, then?"

Snape nodded. "Do you now understand why it's so important for you to learn Occlumency?”

Draco nodded wearily. He shuddered slightly. "When Potter's Occlumency lessons ended I couldn't go to him and today I couldn't go to you. Maybe I'm just like my father, just as cold-blooded and heartless,” he whispered dejectedly.

Snape asked, "Did you enjoy seeing Harry and I in pain?"

Draco's gray eyes went wide. "No!"

"Did you feel what we were feeling?"

Draco squeezed his eyes shut. "Yes."

"Then you are off to a good start because your father was never capable of feeling or sympathizing with anyone else's pain." Snape pulled him into a reassuring hug. "You need to get some rest." He felt some of the tension slowly leave the boy's body.

"Go to bed and sleep with your furry dragon,” Snape teased, watching with amusement as Draco blushed pink, opened his mouth to dispute him but then thought better of it as he got up and hurried into the other room.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks so much for the reviews on the last chapter! I hope you like this one too :)