Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4 - Pain

Harry whimpered as someone kept lightly slapping his face.

"Potter wake up!" He heard Professor Snape’s impatient voice.

He cringed, turning his face away. He was breathing hard and he felt like Voldemort had just put the Cruciatus Curse on him. He gasped out loud and shivered violently.

Someone grabbed his chin and forcibly turned his head. "Potter! Open your eyes."

With a soft groan, Harry opened his eyes and saw Snape’s dark eyes inches from his face.

"What potion did you take?" came the angry, yet controlled, voice.

Harry swallowed.

"Potter, you have overdosed on a potion. Tell me right now what it was!"

The Quidditch match flew through Harry’s head. What had happened? He must have fallen – every inch of his body ached.

"Did you steal Dreamless Sleep potion from my office?" Snape yelled, making Harry cringe.

"Nnnno," he lied.

Snape’s eyes flashed. "What, then, did you take?!"

Harry shivered again as a wave of pain overwhelmed him. "Nothing, I’ve got the flu."

"You are lying," Snape growled. "You foolish boy, you almost killed yourself. I would give you Veritaserum to get the truth out of you if I wasn’t worried how it will interact with whatever it is that you took. I’m warning you, Potter, we cannot treat you until you tell me what have taken!"

Harry stubbornly responded again, "Nothing."

Snape sat back with a grim expression. "I didn’t want to do this, but you leave me no choice."

He grabbed Potter’s arm, the one that was the closest to him. Harry let out a cry of pain and struggled to pull from Snape’s grasp. Snape waved his wand and ropes flew out from under the bed and wrapped around Harry, effectively making him immobile.

Potter, panting from the pain and the fright, turned tear-filled green eyes on him. "Nooo, let me go, please," he whispered, close to panic.

Snape swallowed and when he spoke, his tones were quiet. " Relax. I will let you go and untie you if you tell me right now what it is that you have taken!"

Half dazed with pain, Harry couldn’t think clearly. He couldn’t tell Snape that he had stolen the potions. He’d find out he hadn’t spoken to Lupin and things would be back to where they had started. He shook his head.

"You leave me no choice." Snape responded angrily. Out of his pocket he took a vial. He stretched Harry’s arm out and applied a liquid to the vein on the inside of his arm. Then he inserted a needle.

Harry jumped as far as the ropes would let him. Incredible pain went coursing up his arm causing pinpricks of fire to ignite throughout his body. The pain was excruciating. With a cry, he turned pleading eyes on Snape, his voice breaking as he begged. "Stop, please stop." He took a shuddering breath. "This really hurts bad, please, why are doing this to me?" His last word ended in a sob as he squeezed his eyes shut, shivering uncontrollably. "Stop."

"Your reaction proves almost conclusively that you stole the Dreamless Sleep potion. One of its side effects is an intolerance to pain. This needle shouldn’t have been more than a minor discomfort, a slight pinch, yet here you are experiencing unbearable pain."

He withdrew the needle and a small amount of blood came with it.

"Madam Pomfrey and I will test this. If you had told me the truth, this would not have been necessary." He put a touch of liquid on the spot from where he had withdrawn the blood to ensure it wouldn’t keep bleeding. Then, he waved his wand and released the ropes. Harry pulled his arm close. Panting rapidly, he put his head down on the sore arm, black hair falling as he cradled his arm close to his body.

"Potter, if the tests prove conclusively that this is a Dreamless Sleep potion overdose, you can rest assured that you will be punished. You will spend a month of detention in my office and you will be banned from Quidditch matches for the rest of the year!" Snape then whispered icily into Harry’s ear, "Don’t ever steal from me again!"

Harry tried to quickly turn away from him, but the stabbing sensation in his ribs made the world go black.

White-faced and shaking himself, Snape sat back regarding the unconscious boy. Just when he had started to trust Potter and actually letting himself feel something other than dislike for him, Potter had to pull something like this. He trembled in anger.

"I understand that you are angry and feel betrayed, but that was rather harsh Severus," came Dumbledore’s voice softy behind him.

Snape cleared his throat. "How long have you been there."

"From the beginning."

Snape turned to him angrily. "Didn’t trust me with the Golden Boy?"

"Did you trust yourself?" Dumbledore regarded him with a piercing look over his half-moon glasses. "Look at him."

Reluctantly, Snape turned back to regard Harry’s very pale face, a silver trail of tears that he had caused shimming down his face. His breathing was still rapid. A sheen of sweat covered his skin. Snape sighed and all anger that he had felt left him.

"Harry needs us," Dumbledore’s murmured sadly.

Snape got up, ignoring Dumbledore’s last comment. "I have to get this tested."

"Let me know the results."

Very early the next morning when the world was still dark but slight edges of gray poked at the horizon, Harry woke up. He felt horribly sick and knew he would throw up. A hand helped him sit up and a bucket was placed before him. When he finished, he was once again trembling uncontrollably, icy sweat covered his skin and he winced at the shards of pain cutting through him. An arm went around him and Harry found hot tears coursing down his face and into Dumbledore’s beard as the old wizard pulled him close.

His one hand stroked the smooth black hair and the other rubbed Harry’s back.

"Unfortunately, because you took much too much Dreamless Sleep potion, we cannot give you any painkillers, as they would harm you further. I’m sorry you are suffering so much, but by the end of the week you’ll feel much better. Professor Snape is…"

"Don’t say his name," gasped Harry. "I don’t ever want to see him again." His head sank further into Dumbledore’s beard.

Dumbledore gently grabbed his shoulders, pulling him back a little. "Harry, I want you to listen to me." He made eye contact with Harry’s pain-filled gaze. "Professor Snape is rightfully angry at you. He trusted you and he was even proud of you after the last lesson you had together. How do you think he feels after finding out that you stole from him? You have betrayed a hard-won trust." Dumbledore paused so his words would sink in. "Nevertheless, despite his anger, he is incredibly worried about you. He has spent half the night trying to find something that will ease the pain you are feeling a bit, and he has spent the other half sitting here with you, helping you sit up everytime you were sick, applying balm to your forehead to cool you off when the fever took hold, wrapping you in warm blankets and applying the warming package when chills shook you. You are doing an incredible disservice to both Professor Snape and yourself by being angry with him. What you did is not his fault – it is yours alone. Not only did you seriously injure yourself, but you almost took Mr. Malfoy’s life."

Harry swallowed hard, remembering the Quidditch match. "Is Draco okay?"

"His shoulder was dislocated, he has a serious concussion, and many painful scrapes and bruises. He will recover. He is sleeping across the room."

"I’m sorry," Harry whispered painfully.

"I hope so," Dumbledore said gravely.

"I wanted to catch the snitch and dedicate the win to Sirius," Harry whispered brokenly.

"There will be many more Quidditch matches and snitches to catch."

Harry winced, shaking his head. "Professor Snape said I can’t play Quidditch for the rest of the year and I have to have a month in detention with him."

"There will be punishment for what you have done, but since Professor McGonagall is head of your house, I’m sure she will speak to Professor Snape about a compromise. Now, let’s not worry about Quidditch and focus on making you feel better. Once you have recovered, Professor Snape will be speaking with you to find out why you took so much of the potion. I suggest that you do not lie to him again or I will allow him to use Veritaserum on you." Dumbledore’s voice took on a stern tone.

The dark lashes closed tightly against his pale cheeks. Not Snape again. Harry wished he’d never have to see him again.

Dumbledore adjusted the boy’s weight down onto the bed and Harry found himself drifting off into a restless sleep again.

Dumbledore quietly got up and went over to check on Draco. The boy seemed to be sleeping peacefully. Dumbledore reached over and gently stroked the soft, light-blond hair. He was relieved to feel no fever. As soon as he went back to Harry, Draco’s silver eyes opened again. He had awakened a short while ago and heard bits of Dumbledore’s conversation with Potter. He lay there puzzled. Potter had stolen a sleep potion from Professor Snape? Was he insane? Potter seemed to be in bad shape. He couldn’t figure out how Potter could overdose on sleep potion.

------------

Draco awoke the following morning feeling much better. He was still rather sore and stiff, but if he moved slowly the pain was bearable.

Professors and Madam Pomfrey were constantly hovering around Potter’s bed. Draco imagined it would be even worse once the students were allowed in. He carefully got out of bed, closing his eyes for a moment until his equilibrium returned and he moved slowly over to Potter’s bed. Potter looked like hell - a grey cast to his skin and he was apparently unconscious again. Madam Pomfrey shooed him away from the bed and he returned to his own. He didn’t want to be in here anymore; he hated the hospital wing. When Madam Pomfrey bustled out to likely get something for Potter, he gingerly put on the robe and slippers that Professor McGonagall had brought for him. Picking up the pain potion that Snape had left for him, he slowly made his way over to the door.

He winced as he opened it; his head still pounded painfully. The door closed behind him just as the pain potion slipped through his fingers. He bent quickly to pick it up and inadvertently hit his shoulder on the stone wall. The pain brought him to his knees, making his eyes water and his teeth clench. A soft hiss escaped from his lips as he tried to keep from sinking into blackness.

"Well there’s a sight that makes my soul sing. Draco Malfoy on his knees," came Hermione’s cold voice as she bent down to pick up the potion. With a sly smile she added, "I think it’s obvious that you are falling for me."

Draco winced as he looked up at her. "You may wish that was the case, Mudblood, but it will never happen."

Hermione was startled by how bad Malfoy looked. His gray eyes were teary and it was obvious he was hurting. He was still wearing pajamas and a silver robe.

Ignoring his usual insults, she asked, "What are doing out of the hospital wing?"

"None of your business!" came Malfoy’s abrupt reply.

"All right then." She headed to the door.

"Wait, Mudblood. Give me the potion!"

She turned to regard him coldly. "Excuse me? Did you say something ferret boy?"

He shuddered slightly. It was obvious that he did not like being reminded of the fake Moody’s punishment two years ago, a time when he was thoroughly humiliated. He took a deep breath, calming himself. He needed a swig of the painkiller or else he’d never make it back to his tower. "Please, give me the potion," he said with his voice full of resentment.

"I will on one condition: say my name."

He almost opened his mouth and said Mudblood, but her eyes were flashing angrily at him. He tried to get up but his knees buckled. Through a haze of pain he looked at her. "Please, Hermione," he said hoarsely.

She was at his side instantly and handed him the bottle. He clumsily tried to unscrew the top but his hands were shaking too much. Hermione reached over and did it for him. She lifted the potion up to his mouth. "Take a couple of sips." He did and suddenly felt very drowsy.

Hermione noted how the silver eyes closed and Draco looked as if he would fall asleep right there. "Come on. You need to go back into the hospital ward."

His eyes opened again and he glared at her. "No!"

She snorted at him angrily. "Suit yourself."

"I’m fine. At least I didn’t overdose like Potter did."

"What, what did you say?" she asked, panic in her eyes.

"You heard me. Potter overdosed on Dreamless Sleep potion. Apparently he stole it from Professor Snape."

Hermione’s heart did a painful jump.

Draco tried again to get to his feet and, with a wince, he finally succeeded, even though he wavered unsteadily.

As much as she detested Malfoy and all the malicious things he had done over the years, she felt a twinge of sympathy seeing him look so vulnerable.

He gripped the wall tightly as he shivered.

She sighed impatiently. "Do you want me to help you get to wherever you are going?" she asked in an exasperated tone.

He glanced at her again. It was obvious she didn’t want to help him anymore than he wanted her help. He stood there confused for a moment, knowing that he wouldn’t likely be able to make it on his own.

"Well?" she asked again, tapping her foot.

He tried to shrug casually but the stab in his shoulder made him gasp as he answered. "If you insist."

"Um, right then. Where did you want to go?" she asked as she went to stand beside him. "Put your hand on my shoulder so you don’t fall over."

Draco hesitantly and awkwardly put his hand on Hermione’s shoulder. She moved closer and her arm slid gently around his waist. "Okay, now just lean on me. You still haven’t told me where you want to go."

"My room."

"Do you have Madam Pomfrey's permission? Because you really don’t look well enough to be up."

Before Draco had a chance to lie, Professor Snape suddenly appeared.

"Draco! What are you doing out of bed?" He looked rather confused at the sight of Hermione and Draco so close together.

"I knew it." Hermione spoke up. "Professor Snape, Malfoy isn’t well enough to be up."

"I fully agree," was Snape’s response.

Draco cleared his throat. "Professor, please, I just want to be in my own bed."

"What you want at the moment isn’t what matters. You need to be in the hospital ward recuperating. Let’s go!" Snape’s patience level was at an all time low.

Draco removed his arm from around Hermione after throwing her an icy look. Snape immediately grabbed him.

"Ms. Granger, if you are considering paying Potter a visit you’ll have to postpone that for another day. He is in no condition to receive visitors yet."

Hermione’s face fell. "How is he? Malfoy said he overdosed on Dreamless Sleep potion."

Snape glared at Draco and a sick feeling began to form in Draco’s stomach. "I’m sure Draco won’t be telling anyone else what he has overheard?" Snape’s voice took on a dangerous tone.

Draco shook his head causing a wave of dizziness.

Snape’s gaze went back to Hermione. "Yes, Potter is suffering from an overdose. We are taking care of him and he’ll likely be feeling better by the weekend."

"When can I see him?"

"Not for a few days." Snape’s tone had a finality about it, and Hermione knew it was pointless to argue.

----------

Harry was almost afraid to open his eyes, worried that Snape would be there to torture him again.

"Harry?" Lupin's voice came out of the haze.

He opened his eyes.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

Harry gave a small smile. "I’ve, I’ve been better."

Lupin smiled gently. "You have two broken ribs, which Madam Pomfrey bound tightly, various bruises, and of course all the side effects from the potion. Are you still feeling sick?"

Harry nodded.

"Professor Snape brewed up some tea with special herbs he got from the Forbidden Forest this morning. They won’t interact negatively with the potion." He brought the cup over to him, but Harry shook his head.

"Would you rather spend the next few days being sick?"

Harry shook his head miserably. He said weakly, "I don’t want anything from Snape."

"Watch, Harry." Lupin took a big swallow from the cup. He smiled at him patiently. "See, it’s not poison. Professor Snape isn’t out to purposely hurt you."

Harry shivered at his words and Lupin sat back thoughtfully. Dumbledore had told him that Harry had been traumatized a bit by what Snape needed to do last night to find out what he had taken. He hadn’t given him details, but he had suggested that Lupin, rather than Snape, give him the tea. He reached over and held the cup in front of Harry again. Harry looked at it suspiciously but then attempted to sit up. Lupin’s arm appeared under his shoulder and lifted him, allowing him to drink the tea. The effort exhausted him and he lay back down and fell asleep. Lupin sat watching him.

Snape came in assisting Draco. Lupin looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Mr. Malfoy decided to go for a stroll." He brought him over to the bed. As soon as Draco lay down, he fell asleep again. Snape pulled the covers over him before going over to join Lupin.

"How is he?"

"Tired and, as expected, in pain."

"Did he drink the tea?"

"Yes." Lupin looked closely at Snape. All the professors were tired this morning, but Snape looked especially haggard. "I’ll stay with him. Why don’t you get some sleep before your class?"

He shook his head. "I appreciate your concern, Remus, but I need to talk to you." He spoke the first few words with a hint of sarcasm.

Lupin ignored it and tried again. "Severus you are exhausted. I won’t go anywhere and you can talk to me after getting some rest."

Annoyance flashed in Snape’s eyes. "No, this should be important to you as it concerns Harry. Did anything come up in your conversation with him that might have made him want to take the Dreamless Sleep potion?"

Lupin shook his head. "I have attempted to reach out to Harry on a number of occasions since Sirius died, but aside from casual conversations, he has avoided me."

Snape seemed to have gone into a trance.

"Severus?"

His eyes snapped back at Lupin, a strange expression on his face. "I’m going to follow your advice after all Remus. I’m sure you and Madam Pomfrey will keep an eye on him."

"Of course."

Casting a glance at Harry, Snape walked out feeling like everything around him was spinning. He retreated down into his office, lit a fire, and sat in the recliner. Loki jumped on his lap and purred comfortingly. Snape stroked the silky, black fur, a realization dawning in his mind: ‘Harry had taken the sleeping potion in order to block him in Occlumency.’

"He’s certainly not himself today," Hermione whispered to Ron. Ron shook his head, watching Professor Snape mechanically teach a potions lesson. Neville’s potion had exploded, but aside from a sharp "Mr. Longbottom clean up that mess," Snape had only absentmindedly wandered around the room.

"I guess he’s just tired; all the professors are. Most of them were up half the night taking care of Harry and Malfoy," Ron replied as he carefully made sure to add just the right amount of wart of toad to his potion.

"So, as soon as this lesson is over we’ll sneak in to see Harry? I knew something was wrong. I just wish he wouldn’t keep shutting us out. I can’t believe he overdosed on the potion and that he stole it from Professor Snape."

Ron shuddered. "Snape must be furious with him."

Hermione nodded. "Not only did he steal the potion but he hurt Malfoy. I only hope Professor Snape isn’t too mean to him."

Ron made a face. "He’s always mean."

Right after class Snape went to find Lupin and together they went to meet with Dumbledore.

"Severus I don’t understand why I need to be at this meeting," Lupin questioned, obviously confused.

"You’ll understand shortly."

Dumbledore sat behind his desk regarding the two men before him. Severus seemed determined while Remus looked somewhat confused.

"Severus, you asked for this meeting. What can I do for you?"

"I would like you to turn Potter over to Remus for Occlumency lessons. He refuses to learn from me. He lies and steals and I have had enough of his behavior!" Snape responded angrily.

Lupin opened his mouth to say something but Dumbledore held up his hand. "Two days ago you reported to me that Harry had made a huge improvement and you were very willing to help him until he mastered Occlumency. He needs you now more than ever. I understand how angry you are and I assure you that he will be punished for stealing from you, but I expect you to continue the lessons."

"If I may interrupt for a moment. Although I am trained in Occlumency, I am no where as skilled as you are, Severus. Considering who Harry is up against, he needs the best."

"Nothing I say or do will make Potter learn Occlumency. He is stubborn, evasive, and manipulative! I am convinced he stole the potion in order to numb his subconscious and therefore block me at Occlumency. He has not been able to master it on his own, and since lessons were very hard on him I suggested he need to learn to deal with the events in his life that have caused him pain. I insisted he speak to you, Remus, since he said you were the person he trusted the most. This morning I discover he never even made an attempt!" Snape’s dark eyes were cloaked in fury and his body had become very rigid with anger.

"Relax, professor. We all understand your frustration and we have all been feeling badly that none of us anticipated what Harry has done. You are the one who should feel the least guilty as you attempted to provide an outlet for him. It is Harry’s fault for not following your advice, not yours. However, I believe that Remus, who is his father’s last living friend, Peter Pettigrew aside, is the wrong choice right now. Harry is in a much too emotional state at the moment; he would not want to break down in front of his father’s friend. I think when you and Minerva meet to discuss his punishment you will agree on some detention time, which Harry will serve with you. Do what you need to do, within reason, to make Harry talk about these events and help him to deal with it. Test him at Occlumency again. If there is little improvement, you may need to take him to the Ministry of Magic to the veil."

Snape shook his head. "Potter will never confide in me. He detests me, especially after what I needed to do."

"Then you will need to change that. You will both need to learn how to trust each other. Severus, you need to be patient."

"Perhaps it would be beneficial to not let on that you know why he took the potion. Encourage him to tell you in his own why he took it and that he hasn’t spoken to me," Lupin suggested.

"Wonderful idea, Remus. I’m sure Severus will take advantage of that suggestion." Dumbledore looked at Snape expectantly.

Snape looked anything but pleased. "I’m sure our famous Golden Boy will just lie to me again!"

"I don’t believe so. I told him he needs to be honest with you because I’ve given you permission to use Veritaserum on him if he wasn’t."

Snape’s dark scowl lightened somewhat. He nodded grudgingly. "It’s good to hear that he can expect some repercussions with your approval."

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "Repercussions, yes, but I will not condone harsh treatment." Blue eyes regarded dark eyes intently.

Snape nodded curtly.

"If I can be of any help, I’m sure you will let me know. I will attempt to draw Harry out as much as I can," Lupin stated.

-------

They peeked into the hospital wing and were relieved to see that no one was there. "I think Madam Pomfrey went for a cup of tea. I usually see her near the kitchens at this time of day," Hermione whispered.

They made their way over to Harry’s bed. Hermione glanced over at Malfoy, who was fast asleep.

They were both shocked to see how incredibly ill Harry looked. Tears formed in Hermione’s eyes as guilt washed over her. Why hadn’t she seen what Harry was doing? Why hadn’t she found a way to stop him, to help him? She had just let him drive her away. She sat down on a chair close to his bed and gently reached over to take his warm hand in her own. His face was turned towards her, his dark hair mussed, his lashes dark against his pale face. "Oh, Harry. Why did you do this?" she whispered.

Ron had gone to the other side of the bed and quietly pulled up a chair. He followed Hermione’s lead and grabbed Harry’s other hand. "Hey mate, we’re here for you," he whispered.

Harry felt the warmth spread through him. He opened his eyes to look into Hermione’s tear-filled brown ones. He attempted a small smile.

"How are you feeling?"

"Kind of like a dementor played rugby with me."

Ron snorted.

"Shhhhh. Do you want to get us kicked out," Hermione whispered.

"Mate, why didn’t you tell us? We could have helped," Ron asked quietly.

Harry shook his head.

"Harry, is it true? You stole potions from Professor Snape?"

He nodded again, looking very uncomfortable. "I’m getting detention for that and being banned from Quidditch. I just don’t know for how long yet," Harry responded hoarsely.

"Bloody hell, you love Quidditch!"

Harry didn’t want to think about it.

"How touching, Potter, to have your pets gathered around you," Draco sneered as he sat up

"How sad, Malfoy, that none of your goons care enough to come," Hermione stated with her eyes flashing. She had hoped that Malfoy would at least lay off for a bit until Harry had fully recovered. Seeing his once again malicious expression made her furious with herself for having helped him this morning.

"I’m sure they’re planning on getting Potter back for having almost killed me."

"Shut up, Malfoy, or I’ll give you a real reason for lounging about, faking it here in the hospital wing!" Ron shouted angrily.

"Ron stop. He’s not faking it. Just ignore him," Hermione spoke up.

"I’m sorry I got you injured, Malfoy," came a quiet voice.

Potter was apologizing to him? Draco hadn’t expected that and it caught him off guard.

"I’m sure Malfoy will go running to his father, if he can find him, and get new broomstick or something out of it. He’ll be milking it for plenty of sympathy," Ron growled.

"Shut up, Weasley. Just shut the hell up!" Malfoy shouted loudly.

Puzzled by his outburst, Ron and Hermione looked at him wide-eyed.

"Just leave him alone, okay," came Harry’s hoarse voice from the bed.

Draco lay back sulking. His heart raced at the mention of his father. He didn’t need the weasel bringing him up and he didn’t need Potty protecting him.

"What are you two doing in here?" Professor Snape entered the hospital wing closing the door with a bang.

They gaped at him, not knowing what to say, and, judging by the scowl on his face, no words would have mattered.

Ms. Granger, I thought I made myself explicitly clear that Potter could receive no visitors until the end of the week!"

"Sorry Professor. We were just so worried about him." She got up and reached over to kiss Harry on the forehead. "Please get better soon. Listen to what Madam Pomfrey tells you."

He nodded, his heart clenching as Snape approached.

Ron and Hermione left, casting worried glances backward as they exited the room.

"

"Draco, if you are feeling up to it, you may go for a short stroll. I expect you back here in 10 minutes."

Draco put on his robe and slowly made his way out the door. He glanced back at Professor Snape, wondering what he would have to say to Potter.

"Potter, Madam Pomfrey tells me that you have not eaten any of the broth she has prepared for you. Since it is vital that you at least start to keep small amounts of food down, I have brought you some porridge."

Harry refused to look at Snape.

"Avoiding eye contact with me will not make me simply vanish, no matter how much you want me to. I’m giving you a choice: either you eat some of this willingly or we will have to resort to feeding you via a needle in your arm. Although you have recovered somewhat from the potion's effects, I can assure you that this needle will be virtually as painful as the last one. It is in your best interest to eat."

Harry snorted softly. "You’re just looking for another excuse to torment me. Was last night not enjoyable enough for you? Didn’t I beg enough for you to stop? You want a replay." Anger, mixed with despair, glared out of Harry’s eyes.

Snape responded angrily. "I gave you a choice last night and you chose to lie to me. In order to possibly save your life I had no choice with what I had to do." He calmed himself somewhat. Remembering how Potter had looked last night when Dumbledore had made him look, he added softly, " I know how much I had to hurt you last night and I am sorry, Potter."

Harry squeezed his eyes shut and turned away. Snape gently turned his arm over. Harry jumped, then, with a cry of pain and fell back against the pillow trying to pull his arm back.

"Shhhh, let me see," Snape spoke curtly. Potter’s arm was blue at the injection site and the bruise traveled up his arm and almost to his shoulder. "As soon as all the potion has worn off, I will put something on that to heal you. I did not cause you all this pain on purpose," Snape stated firmly.

Snape uncovered the bowl of porridge he had carried in. He pulled out a spoon and held them out to Potter, whose stomach gave a soft growl. He shakily reached out to the spoon, but a tremor ran through him and he dropped it on the sheets.

With a sigh, Snape picked it up and set it down on the nightstand. He slipped his arm under Potter’s shoulders and lifted him enough so he was a bit elevated with the help of the pillows. He filled the spoon half way with porridge and held it to Potter’s mouth. Potter looked at him warily, swallowing hard, then took the spoonful. He managed to swallow three mouthfuls and then shook his head.

"Well done. Hopefully this will stay down and we can improve day by day. Try and get some more sleep. Professor McGonagall will be here shortly".

"She has already arrived," came Minerva’s somewhat amused statement. She had walked in to the sight of Severus spoon feeding Harry. Her thin lips parted in a smile as she regarded him. He glowered at her in return.

"You might have made your presence known."

"Why Severus? You were doing a fine job."

She sat down beside Harry who was already half asleep. She patted his hand. "You get some rest, dear."

Snape left the room as quickly as possible, almost colliding with Draco as he entered. "Get back into your bed and get some sleep," he snapped at him, leaving a startled Draco holding the door.

---------

"So why did you do it Potter?" Draco had gotten up and sat in the chair by Harry’s bed.

Harry smiled wryly. "Did you really think I would tell you?"

Draco sneered. "Well, since you almost killed me, I think you could at least tell me why."

"I could, but I won’t," Harry responded softly.

"Too embarrassed?" Draco challenged.

Harry looked at him intently. "Why don’t you confide what you’re hiding first?"

Color drained from Draco’s face but then he recovered quickly. "What are you playing at, Potter? I have nothing to hide!"

Harry shrugged. "If you say so."

With an annoyed snort, Draco got up and headed back to his own bed. When he climbed back into his bed, he realized that Potter had effectively diverted the focus from himself. His eyes narrowed. What was Potter hiding?

Madam Pomfrey bustled in with some broth for Harry and a plate of sandwiches and pumpkin juice for Draco.

Harry still didn’t feel like eating, but Professor McGonagall had told him earlier that the sooner he started eating the sooner he’d be able to leave the hospital ward. He was still feeling very shaky, but his breathing had finally slowed down a bit and, with the help of Snape’s tea, he hadn’t thrown up anymore. He still had the alternating chills and fever and his ribs still hurt a lot, but Madam Pomfrey had said it was only a matter of time before she could heal those.

He couldn’t suppress the groan when he sat up and he felt a chill course through him. Panting slightly, he picked up the cup Madam Pomfrey had put the broth into and slowly lifted the shaking cup to his mouth. He managed to drink about half of it, but then a wave of dizziness took over and he quickly put it down on the nightstand.

Someone had put his robe on the chair beside the bed. He was cold from the chills, but he didn’t really want to slide under the covers again; he wanted to stay sitting up for a little while at least. He carefully reached over to grab the robe but suddenly a stab of agony shot through his ribs and, with a cry of pain, he sank back, wrapping his arms around his ribs while gasping for breath.

Draco had been watching Potter through narrowed eyes, but when he tried to grab the robe and gasped with pain, he got up. He went over to Potter. "Do you want me to get Madam Pomfrey?"

Harry shook his head and trembled as he answered. "No, she can’t do anything yet."

Reluctantly Draco grabbed the robe from the chair and threw it around Potter’s shoulders.

Harry looked up at him, puzzled. "Thanks."

With a quick nod, Draco went back to his bed to finish his pumpkin juice.

Madam Pomfrey soon bustled in to check on them. "Are you both doing okay?"

"Potter’s not doing so well."

"What happened, Mr. Potter?" She went over to him, feeling his forehead.

Draco couldn’t help but smile at the annoyed look Potter threw him.

"I’m fine, really. It was just my ribs for a moment," Harry explained.

She nodded. "You didn’t finish all your broth."

Harry shook his head. "I don’t want the rest."

"I insist you take a full cup tomorrow morning or eat a bowl of porridge," came her orders.

"I’ll try," he promised.

She went over to Draco. "Empty plate and glass. Well done Mr. Malfoy. I expect you might be able to return to your room tomorrow."

Malfoy smiled.

"Okay, it’s time for lights out." The only lights she left burning were the small lanterns by their beds. "Professor McGonagall will be back tonight to periodically check up on you both."

She left after both boys had settled under the covers.

Just after midnight, Draco was awakened. At first he didn’t know by what, but then he heard Potter tossing and turning and mumbling something.

He seemed to be having a really bad dream. With a frown, Draco got up and went over to him. He reached down, shaking his shoulder. "Potter, wake up!"

Voldemort had Hermione and he was laughing at him.. "You can’t win, Harry. I will kill everyone you care about, one by one." Then he shouted Avada Kedavra and a bolt of green light shot out of his wand and Hermione lay dead before him, her eyes wide and accusing. Harry screamed "Nooooo" an unbearable pain gripping his heart. Then Voldemort's horrible face broke into a smile and he pointed shouting "LOOK!" Harry tearfully turned from Hermione’s body just in time to see Ron, with a look of betrayal, falling through the veil. "NO don’t die!" Harry sobbed.

"Move, Mr. Malfoy." Professor McGonagall lightly tapped Harry’s face. "Potter, come on. You’re having a nightmare, wake up, wake up!" Harry came awake with a start. He gripped Professor McGonagall’s hand. "Hermione and Ron, please are they okay? Please go look."

"Hush, they are both just fine. I just came from the Gryffindor tower and I promise you that they are both fine. You just had a nightmare." Minerva realized she would need to tell Severus about this as soon as possible in the morning. Apparently the Dreamless Sleep potion overdose had worn off enough for the nightmares to start again, as Mr. Weasley had told her had been occurring regularly.

Harry suddenly realized that Malfoy was standing there and regarding him with a rather shocked expression. His hands quickly came up to wipe the tears of his face. He closed his eyes and breathed. First Snape, now Malfoy! Could he possibly be humiliated even more?

Professor McGonagall turned to Draco. "Mr. Malfoy, thank you for coming to Mr. Potter’s aid. I will assume, now, that you will keep this to yourself, otherwise I will be forced to place you into detention and deduct points from Slytherin."

Draco glared at her then went back to bed. So Potter was dreaming that the mudblood and the weasel were dead. Seeing Harry all upset, practically crying, had made him feel odd. Even if Professor McGonagall hadn’t threatened him, he knew he wouldn’t have told anyone. It reminded him too much of how embarrassed he had felt when he was losing it in front of Snape. He went back under the covers and fell asleep to the sounds of the professor calming Potter.

Harry took a few sips of the tea that Snape had made for calming his stomach and then settled back down in his bed. Professor McGonagall fussed over him and finally sat down in the chair, taking his hand. "Go to sleep, Mr. Potter. I will sit here with you." Harry nodded gratefully and fell into a deep sleep.

Minerva had no idea that Harry wouldn’t be the one needing her the most that night. She had drifted into a light sleep when Malfoy’s cries awakened her.

She got up and went over to him. He was curled into a ball and was covered in a sheen of sweat. "I’m sorry," he gasped. Minerva shook him lightly to try and wake him.

It was last Christmas Eve. Numerous high-ranking guests attended the lavish evening party.

"So tell me, Draco, how are you doing at Hogwarts?" asked John Dark.

"I’m doing really well," Draco responded.

"Are you at the top of your studies? I heard that a mudblood was in the lead."

Draco snorted. "Hermione Granger? Yes, she is in the lead, but not for long. She’ll fall like Potter."

"Hasn’t Potter beaten you at every Quidditch match you have played?"

Draco suddenly felt uncomfortable. This Death Eater was a well-respected enemy of Lucius’ as both men were vying for the Dark Lord’s attention.

"Wel,l technically yes, but…"

"John, would you kindly excuse us for a moment? I need a moment with my son," came Lucius’ drawling voice.

Draco stiffened, a sense of horror creeping up his skin.

"Of course, Lucius."

"Your room, Draco," Lucius whispered between clenched teeth.

"Father, I… "

"Silence!"

As soon as they entered the bedroom, Lucius placed a silencing charm on the room. Draco backed up against the wall.

"You confess your weaknesses and lack of skills to my worst enemy!!!" Lucius’ pale eyes bore into his son. "Take off your shirt."

Draco pleadingly shook his head. "I’m sorry."

Lucius took out his wand and, with a whisk, Draco’s shirt flew off. Before he had a chance to try to reason with Lucius, the silver tipped serpent staff had cut into his shoulder, drawing blood. Draco fell to his knees. Lucius had never hit him with the top of his staff before. Five more blows fell across his back until he lifted his tear-stained face up to Lucius. A look of satisfaction crossed his father’s face. He went over, picked up the shirt he had stripped him of, and calmly wiped the blood and skin from serpent’s head.

"I expect you to be out there in five minutes. Do not disappoint me again." He left the room as Draco collapsed flat on the floor, sobbing.

He awoke suddenly and abruptly sat up. With an expression of complete horror he came face to face with Professor McGonagall’s concerned expression.

Minerva regarded Draco. He looked at her with complete shock registering on his face. Tears were sliding down his cheeks, his hair was mussed over his eyes, and his breathing was panicked.

"What happened?" she asked softly.

He shook his head and trembled violently.

She sat on the bed beside him. "It’s all right, Mr. Malfoy. You don’t have to tell me. Just calm down. You’ve obviously had an upsetting dream." She slid her arm around his trembling shoulders and pulled him close, but he stayed tense. She rambled about how it must be a night about nightmares as she rested her chin against his forehead until he stopped shaking and his breathing became calmer. "Everything is fine now; you are safe here at Hogwarts." Gently she wiped the tears off his face and got him to lie down again. Exhausted, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Minerva sat back wondering what had happened tonight. Both students had obviously had disturbing nightmares. It wasn’t even a full moon or anything. Harry’s bad dreams were expected after all the blows life had dealt him, but Draco Malfoy, the spoiled prince of Slytherin, that was not expected. She smiled grimly remembering something Dumbledore had once told her: ‘Never assume anything about the students.’ She would need to tell Severus about this boy tomorrow as well.