Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6 - FOG

Harry lay back with his eyes closed trying to clear his thoughts. The cooling balm soothed the pain in his head. The dream had been so real and he wished he could have seen for himself that Dumbledore was okay. He felt a hand on his forehead softly stroking is hair. He opened his eyes and found himself looking into Dumbledore’s very much alive blue eyes.

"Harry, are you okay now?"

"Yes, I had a nightmare and…" His breathing became more rapid.

"Calm down. I know it was very upsetting for you, but I need for you to tell me what exactly was in your dream."

Harry nodded and slowly relived the horrible dream; he was shaking again as he got to the end.

Dumbledore smiled softly. "I do not think that Voldemort was in your head this time. As you can see, I am perfectly fine. I think your own fears prompted this nightmare."

"But my scar hurt and it usually only does this when I have a connection with Voldemort." Harry so wanted to believe Dumbledore’s words, but the pain he had felt in his latest dream was like before.

"Headmaster, if I may answer that question," Snape spoke up. "Potter, when you and I worked on Occlumency, your scar hurt because you were reliving things that had happened and that were painful to you. I agree with the headmaster, on this matter. I think that your present fears combined with events in the past to produce this particular nightmare."

Harry took a deep breath, feeling slightly better.

"Now, I want you to go back to sleep, Harry. Try to clear your mind and not think about anything," Dumbledore said softly.

Harry nodded, glancing up at Snape.

Snape looked at him with worry in his eyes. "You and I will work on preventing things like this from happening in the future."

Professor McGonagall patted his arm again. "Sleep well, Mr. Potter."

Harry awoke the next morning feeling well rested despite the horrible dream from the night before.

Madam Pomfrey brought him breakfast. He wasn’t very hungry, but he knew if he wanted to get out of the wing he better eat everything on the tray. He forced it down. Snape came in, his dark eyes flickering over his tray.

"Good to see you eating, Potter." He went over to Madam Pomfrey and the two of them had a quiet conversation.

"Well Potter, against my better judgment, Professor Snape thinks you are well enough to leave the wing today. I would have liked to wait another day, but apparently I’m being overruled. So let’s get your shirt off and heal your ribs."

Harry glanced up at Snape. He still didn’t like him – and he certainly didn’t trust him – but he was starting to understand that Snape was trying to help him. He reluctantly mouthed a "thank you." Snape curtly nodded his head in acknowledgement.

"All right, Mr. Potter. Let me check those ribs." Pomfrey’s hands expertly fingered down his rib cage while Harry bit his lip whenever she came across one that caused a stab of pain. "They are starting to heal well on their own, but this potion will help speed up the process. In 24 hours you won’t even feel a twinge." She helped him sit up and gave him a glass of potion that almost made him gag.

"Ugh, why do these healing potions always have to taste so horrible?" he asked, grimacing from the bitter taste.

Madam Pomfrey, in her no nonsense approach, sternly replied, "If they tasted like honey, they wouldn’t be very effective."

Snape sat down beside Harry and pulled a bottle out from under his robe. "I promised you once the overdose wore off that I would heal your arm." He stretched out Harry’s bruised arm – the one he had originally taken the blood from – and smeared a cream that smelled like it had come from deep within a spruce forest. As it spread over his skin it created a warm, soothing sensation and the residual pain he had felt disappeared.

Harry flopped back onto the bed, enjoying the feeling of being pain free for the first time in many days. "Mr. Potter, I have brought you some clothes. I assume you’ll be able to dress yourself?" Professor McGonagall asked.

Harry’s eyes flew open. "Yes, of course." He sat up as Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall stepped back and Snape pulled the curtains around him to allow him some privacy.

"I have a class to teach, Minerva. I’m assuming you will help Potter up to his room?" Snape inquired.

"Actually, I have already arranged an escort for Mr. Potter." A smile touched her lips as Hermione and Ron entered with beaming smiles.

Harry, now fully dressed, stepped out from behind the curtains to be enveloped in a huge hug by Hermione and Ron. "We missed you dreadfully," Hermione said, smiling up at him.

"We’re not the only ones." Ron smiled broadly with a twinkle in his eyes.

"I missed you both, too. I’m so glad to be getting out of here," Harry said.

"Mr. Potter, keep in mind you haven’t been doing much moving about. Walk slowly. You are likely to experience some dizziness until you get your strength back," Madam Pomfrey ordered.

"I insist that, for today, you stay in bed," came Professor McGonagall’s stern order.

Harry agreed to everything. He was just so happy to finally be feeling better and walking around.

They slowly made it up the stairs with Ron and Hermione chatting with him the whole time.

"I’m so glad you’re going to be able to go to the Halloween party."

Harry smiled. "I wouldn’t miss that."

They entered the Gryffindor common room and Harry’s heart jumped when suddenly people jumped up from behind the chairs and sofas yelling "Surprise!" Balloons floated up to the ceiling and his fellow Gryffindors hugged him and shouted, "Welcome back!" Harry smiled gratefully over at Ron and Hermione; he knew that they had thrown this together very quickly.

After a half-hour, they helped him get into bed. Hermione surrounded him with books and all the homework he had missed while Ron emptied a bag of candy and chocolate on the bed. "In case you get hungry," he claimed, grinning broadly.

"We have to get to Potions or Snape will give us detention."

Harry nodded gratefully. "Thanks so much for doing this."

Hermione hugged him again. "You know we all love you," she whispered in his ear.

Harry lay back in bed feeling happier than he had in a long, long time.

____________________________________________________________________________

Draco went into Potions class with Crabbe and Goyle by his side. Pansy kept fussing over him, and he found her terribly irritating. He sat down, his heart racing and his stomach in turmoil. At breakfast this morning the mail had come and a letter had fallen into his lap. He recognized the writing immediately – it was from his father. He had tucked it under his cloak. A part of him just wanted to shred it without ever even looking at it, but the other part wondered what his father would be writing to him about. He resolved to find a quiet place after class to read it.

It was mid-morning when Harry woke up. He hadn’t planned on falling asleep, but the combination of having the nightmare last night and finally being back in his own bed made sleep irresistible.

He got up, hesitating for a moment as a wave of dizziness overwhelmed him. It passed quickly and he made his way over to the window. A heavy layer of fog had rolled in. He loved the fog, especially lately. The summer had been so sunny and the pain of losing Sirius was even worse when everyone was enjoying the warmth and the brightness. He rested his head against the wall when he suddenly noticed some movement below. He frowned when he recognized Malfoy heading across the lawn down to the lake. What was he doing? There was something up with him, something almost desperate. Harry’s instincts told him something was wrong.

"Harry, what are you doing out of bed? Professor McGonagall would be really angry if she walked in," Hermione scolded.

"I’m okay. I just wanted to look out of the window at the fog." He kept looking out, watching Malfoy slowly disappear into the drifting clouds of grey.

"Do you know why Malfoy would be out in the fog?"

"What?" Hermione looked out of the window and just caught a brief glimpse of Malfoy before he disappeared from sight. "He really shouldn’t be out there. He’s not fully recovered yet. I mean, he’s always been pale, but he looked positively white in Potions today."

"Was he his usually nasty self?"

"Actually, I doubt he barely even said a word to anyone."

She looked at Harry who seemed to be staring out into the fog looking rather concerned. "Something is up with him."

"Harry, two days ago when we were in the wing, you said something about Malfoy crying on Snape’s shoulder. Did that really happen?"

Harry looked at her wide-eyed. She could tell he was really uncomfortable. He opened his mouth to say something then closed it again, staring at the wall. "I can’t talk about that. Sorry, I promised."

"Do you want me to follow him to make sure he’s okay?"

Harry frowned. "No, he could be meeting with Lucius."

"Look Harry, you obviously know more than I do about Malfoy. If you think something is wrong, I can go and check. I’ll be careful and I will have my wand with me just in case," Hermione stated confidently.

"It’s not that I care what happens to Malfoy, it’s just I feel guilty for causing the accident and for saying what I did."

Hermione smiled at him warmly. "Don’t worry. I’ll make sure he’s all right and I will likely get my head bitten off for it."

Harry smiled at her. "Thanks, but be really careful. You don’t know who could be out there."

"I’m on Hogwarts grounds. I think I’m pretty safe," she claimed with a departing smile.

____________________________________________________________________________

The fog was incredibly thick and it cast everything into a white oblivion. It suited Draco’s mood as he went to sit under one of the trees by the lake. With shaking hands, he opened the envelope.

Dear Draco,

As you have no doubt heard by now, I have escaped from Azkaban. My time there gave me opportunity to think about things. Especially you. I have been busy in service to the Dark Lord. I have much to share with you. Come to Hogsmeade on your next outing and meet me behind the Leaky Cauldron in late afternoon. I have missed you, son.

Your father

A strange feeling coursed through Draco. What did he mean when he said he had thought about him and even missed him? Had his time in Azkaban really changed him? A flutter of hope entered his heart.

He read and reread the letter. Snape had said that he would never be the father that he wanted, but what if he was wrong? A chill coursed through him as he remembered all the times when his father was angry with him. He closed his eyes tightly and remembered all the times he could hardly move after his father was displeased with him. He read the line "I have missed you son" again. What if all he missed was bringing him to his knees, being the stronger one, hurting him? Tears fell down his face. What was he going to do? He sat there while his heart raced and a cold chill settled over him.

"Malfoy?"

He looked up in shock to see the mudblood standing in front of him. He scrambled to his feet, dropping the letter in his haste to wipe his face. A soft breeze picked up the letter depositing it at Hermione’s feet.

A look of panic crossed Malfoy’s face as she picked it up. "Give me that," he said shakily.

She frowned at him.

He pulled out his wand. "Give it to me now," he shouted hoarsely.

She quietly stepped closer to him and handed him the piece of paper. His hand shook as he snatched it from her.

Harry was right: there was something very wrong with Malfoy. He was shaking and she had seen the tears on his face before he hastily wiped them away. He was practically in a panic when she had picked up what looked like a letter. He was still pointing his wand at her, his eyes wide with suspicion.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, breathing hard.

"I like the fog so I came for a walk. Are you going to keep pointing the wand at me?" She managed to keep her voice calm.

He hesitated, but then put it inside his robe.

"You really shouldn’t be outside when it’s this cold and damp. You just got out of the hospital wing," she stated gently.

"Just mind your own business, mudblood."

Anger surged up in Hermione.

"Go hover around Potty! After his overdose he needs his pets around him. Maybe he’ll even let you crawl under the covers with him and…" Draco never had a chance to finish because Hermione sprang at him and slapped him across the face. He was stunned for a moment but then grabbed her arm. "You hit me once before, but don’t you ever do that again!"

She stood furiously before him. "Maybe if your parents had taught you some manners I wouldn’t have to. Maybe if you showed some empathy for other people’s feelings, more people would care about you."

He let go of her arm as a look of anguish crossed his face. "Just get out of here," he said quietly.

"What’s the matter, Malfoy. Did I hit a nerve?" she challenged him.

His eyes narrowed at her. Then, with a swirl of his black cloak, he turned and started walking away from her. Unbelievably the fog had thickened even more. Hermione stomped up the hill back to Hogwarts. She was furious with him and she wanted nothing more than to slap him again.

Suddenly she heard a cry and a soft curse. She peered through the fog and saw Malfoy on the ground. She stopped. "What’s the matter, Malfoy? Falling over your own feet?"

"Shut up, Granger!" came the pained reply. He got to his feet, having tripped over a tree root, only to fall again a second later when he tried to put weight on his twisted ankle.

"As enjoyable as it would be to watch you crawl back to school, I’ll help you this one time because it’s getting colder." Hermione moved towards him.

"Don’t bother. I’d rather crawl!" He shouted at her, getting up again and angrily taking a step. With a groan he fell to his knees and stayed down, panting from the pain that shot up his leg.

"Malfoy, stop being such an idiot!" She angrily reached down and grabbed his arm. He grudgingly let her help him to his feet and put his hand on her shoulder.

Hermione hesitated, staring worriedly into the fog.

"It’s this way, Granger." Draco pointed to the right impatiently.

"I’m not sure."

"Well I am. Are we just going to stand here for the rest of the day?" Draco snarled.

"You better be right." They slowly walked with Draco limping badly and wincing every so often.

Suddenly they found themselves in front of Hagrid’s cabin. Hermione glared at him. "Well done!"

Draco couldn’t stop the shiver that coursed through him. He was cold and his ankle throbbed and he felt sick. He didn’t want to go any further, but he certainly didn’t want to spend time with Hagrid.

Hermione looked at the tall, blond boy beside her. He looked positively miserable. "Come on." She tugged at him to head towards Hagrid's door. He went reluctantly. She knocked on the door but there was no answer. "Hagrid?" She sighed loudly. "Great he’s not home."

Malfoy remained silent and she could feel him shiver again. She turned the door handle and found it unlocked. "Fang?" she called out cautiously, but the large, drooly dog wasn’t there either.

She dropped Malfoy off on the sofa and got the fire going so the small house would warm up. Malfoy sat on the sofa staring off into space with such a torturous look she felt a pang of pity for him.

She grabbed a blanket and put it around his shoulders. He looked up at her, startled, as if he had completely forgotten that she was there. Her hand rested on his shoulder for a moment. "What’s wrong?" she asked him softly.

For a moment his grey eyes looked at her with such overwhelming sadness that she almost wanted to hug him, but then it was replaced by a sneer. "I’m trapped here with a mudblood. What do you think is wrong."

She stood before him, clenching her fists.

"What are going to do, hit me again? Do you think your little slap is going to hurt me?" he challenged her, his grey eyes defiant.

Hermione’s dark eyes bore into him. "No, but something obviously has. Tell me, Malfoy, why were you outside crying in the fog?"

____________________________________________________________________________

Harry stared out the window anxiously waiting for Hermione to return.

"Potter, what are you doing out of bed? Sitting by a cold window is not going to speed up your recovery."

Harry jumped, startled to hear Snape’s voice. He had forgotten Snape was coming to hear his decision.

"I was just looking at the fog."

"Are you done?" Snape’s eyes bore into him.

"Yes." Harry got up and slowly got back in the bed.

"Have you made a decision? Who are you going to talk to?"

"There isn’t anyone I want to talk to. I don’t need to talk to anyone. It won’t change anything," Harry responded, frustration evident in his tone.

"No, it won’t change the past. It won’t bring Black back, or Diggory, but it might change the future and prevent more of those you care about from losing their lives," Snape said quietly.

"It doesn’t matter what I do. Voldemort already knows who is close to me, Kreacher ensured that. Everyone who I am close to is in danger." Harry’s voice grew louder.

"So it’s better to just push everyone away, keep everything inside yourself, not let anyone in?" Snape pushed.

Harry glared at him, then angrily looked past him at the wall. "There’s no one."

Snape got up abruptly. "I expect you in my office tomorrow at 6:30pm for detention. If there’s no one you want to talk to, then it will have to be someone you don’t want to talk to." Snape looked at him angrily. "Don’t be late."

Harry stared after him with a sinking feeling in his stomach.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for your reviews - please review