Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

//Disclaimer: Not now nor ever have I or will I own Harry Potter.//

Warning: Child Abuse Implied.

Chapter 5: The Night

Night was drawing near and still no sign of Dumbledore. ‘Hmph… where is the old man…’ Snape thought to himself, ‘Damn him if he doesn’t show up…’

After having finished eating, Snape took Harry back into the sitting room where his crib was. He allowed the boy to play in there with some blocks that he’s transfigured out of random objects. The child seemed rather content playing so Severus took this chance to exit the room. He had made it down to the potions lab and was going over something when he heard a loud clattering sound of something being knocked over.

Severus quickly rose from his seat and made haste to where Harry had been playing. A scowl appeared on his face when he saw the boy sitting near a small bookshelf that was now lying on the floor. "Potter, what have you done?" He asked in a quiet but stern tone. Harry looked up at the unhappy Potions Master. "Mac..?" He said shrugging his shoulders slightly. "Where Mac?"

"Potter, I still have no clue what you are babbling about, but I'm going to assume it’s that 'spider' you've been drawing on about since I found you."

Harry's eyes lit up kind of understanding what was said. He thought maybe Snape knew where his friend was and that maybe, just maybe he'd return Mac to him. "Now, listen to me, boy. This is unacceptable. I don’t care what you were looking for. You could have knocked that bloody shelf over on top of yourself." He spoke firmly, pointing to the bookshelf as he did so.

"Now get over there and play with your blocks, before I take them away and lay you down to sleep. Do you understand?"

Harry's eyes began to water. " 'pider....Mac?" He just sat there starting up at Snape.

A sigh escaped Severus's lips, "Potter... Go play, we will get you a new spider later." He told him. With a nod the boy stood and hurried over to stack of blocks he'd been playing with earlier.

Just then a sound could be heard near the fireplace, and out stepped an old man. "Severus, Harry. G'evning m'boy." Dumbledore said as he approached Snape. "How's he doing, Severus?"

The Potions Master turned to face the man behind him. "The kitchen... We'll talk there." Snape said to the Headmaster, then looked to the boy sitting in the floor. "Potter, stay put. We'll be back in a moment." Harry practically ignored the man, too absorbed in his playing. 

Albus followed Snape into the kitchen and stood there leaning against a counter as the younger man paced back and forth for a moment. This was an odd site indeed. It wasn’t everyday the normally stern, scowling potions master looked worried or took concern over a child. "Albus… I don’t think he should go back…"He whispered still repeating his back and forth motions across the floor.

"Severus, I’m afraid we have no choice. They are his legal guardians."

"Have you not seen the boy!?" Snape yelled, stopping instantly in his tracks. "He’s… well he doesn’t look good. There are marking covering him from head to toe. And he speaks of abuse, Albus. And yet, you dare to send him back?" He questioned in a hiss.

The twinkle that normally lived in the Headmaster’s eyes faded momentarily, "I have seen… yet, there is little we can do, Severus. However…" He began a spark of hope shining in his eye.

Snape glanced up to the older man waiting for the response. ‘What does the old man have up his sleeve?’ He wondered to himself, unsure of where this all would lead.

"You will have to keep the child a while longer and - " He was cut off, "No. I will Not keep him." Severus hated to see the boy like he was, but to house the child of his enemy… of James Potter. No. No he would not stand for that.

"Severus. He will stay here, or return to his Aunt and Uncle." Dumbledore spoke calmly, yet in a very serious manner.

A defeated look over came Snape. Very rarely was this man seen like this, but if someone where to put him there is was to be Dumbledore, the one and probably only person who could do this to the potions master. "Fine. He will stay here. No longer than week though."

"Very well… I’ll return to you when I gather enough information… Just be patient with the boy… you were in his shoes once too, you know…" With that the Headmaster disappeared.

"Hmph… we are nothing alike…" He muttered as he made his way back towards where Harry was playing. And lucky enough the boy had managed to stay out of trouble.

It had seemed the boy hadn’t noticed him yet, so Snape simply stood there. After a moment or so he cleared his throat to make his presents known. Harry turned wide-eyed to face the man. "You pway?" He asked holding a block out as if to offer it to Snape.

"No, it’s time for bed. Since it seems you will be staying here a bit longer we might as well move your crib upstairs." Harry didn’t understand the last bit but knew what time for bed meant. "No…no sweepy." He muttered in an unhappy manner.

Harry knew that talking back would get him in trouble, but was young and tended to forget things in the heat of the moment. "What was that boy?" Snape questioned, with a raised eyebrow, as he pulled out his want.

"No bed…no bed. No sweepy…"He said a bit louder, staring at the floor and fiddling with a block in his hand.

Snape said nothing and instead turned his attention to the wooden crib, which had begun to levitate towards the stairs. He followed the floating object all the way to the second story spare room and then returned for the child. "Alright, Potter. Bed."

Harry jumped up from his spot and hurried into the kitchen, quickly by passing the older man. Even when he was living with his relatives the boy had to be forced into his cupboard, and would not go willingly. He was young and just like any small boy he hated having to go to bed.

"Harry Potter!" Snape shouted from the doorway, spotting the boy hiding under the table, "I suggest you get over here now, boy." His voice was stern with a dangerous tone… one not to bed questioned.

Pouting, the little boy crawled out into the open and stood. "No bed?" he pleaded, turning his gaze to the floor once more. Not wanting to completely frighten the boy, Snape counted backwards to ten and then walked over to the child. "Yes, bed. It’s time for you to sleep. Lets go." He reached down and placed a hand on Harry’s shoulder and pushed lightly trying to guide him towards the stairs. When the kid didn’t move Severus let out a frustrated sigh and leaned down to lift the boy into his arms.

Harry cried all the way up the stairs, but didn’t really fight it. Once in the room, Snape placed the boy in the crib. He had to pinch the bridge of his nose to keep himself calm when the boy didn’t instantly lie down. Instead Harry sat there balled up, crying. "Just go to sleep. You can play in the morning." Snape said softly trying to convince the boy that he was indeed tired.

It was no use and finally he gave up and left Harry on his own in the room to sit and cry. Half an hour later when he went back to check on him, the boy was fast asleep. Quietly, Snape walked in and placed a blanket over the child and then turned to leave. Remembering most children fear the dark he left the door cracked. This way he’d be able to easily hear him in the morning too. With that he headed off to his room for a good nights sleep.

Chapter End Notes:

Well, Snape may seem a bit out of character here and there, but what can you expect when dealing with a child so small. I do hope you enjoyed and sorry it’s taking so long.