Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter Twelve

Snape's bed shook as if an earthquake was shifting the very towers of Hogwarts itself, but the bed's owner and occupant knew better. He cracked one eye open and cast a jaded glance on his son and heir.

"Harry," he managed thickly. "Why are you bouncing on my bed?"

"It's holidays!" Harry sang. "Time to get up!"

"Ugh." Snape rolled and buried his head in his pillow, hoping this would all turn out to be some ill dream, but to no avail. Now that he was singing Harry decided to continue, segueing into a chorus of some ditty doubtless imparted by Neville via his Great Uncle Algy. By the time he reached the chorus Snape gave up on his idea of a lie in and turned over onto his back, squinting at the very early morning sunlight invading his bedroom via minute chinks in the curtains.

"Four more weeks," he groaned.

"Hurrah!" Harry cheered, then he was tossing himself down and snuggling into his father's arm.

"You're a noisy nuisance," Snape grumbled. But he lifted his arm and let Harry snuggle closer.

"But it's breakfast time," Harry pointed out reasonably. "Aren't you hungry?"

"Aren't you sleepy?" Snape returned seriously, peering into almond shaped eyes. "Where do you get your energy?"

Harry tilted his head and considered the question. "Sausages?" he ventured.

Snape sighed. "Serves me right for asking." He sat up, shaking Harry off and stretching irritably. "Is breakfast here yet? Tell me there's tea."

"I can pour it!" Harry volunteered eagerly, bouncing clean off the bed.

"No!" Snape said hastily. "Not unless you want to be put back to bed for the day."

"I'm nearly six you know," Harry reminded him crossly.

Snape reached out and caught the nearly six year old by the waist and lifted him like a sack of potatoes. "Are you sure?" he said doubtfully as Harry squealed with pleasure and kicked his legs. "You don't feel like a nearly six year old."

"I am!" Harry crowed, wriggling and giggling.

Snape plonked him back down and flexed his long fingers, merely threatening to tickle heaving ribs. Without so much as a touch Harry folded like a paper fan, almost breathless with laughter now. "An almost six year old would know what happens to boys who run around without their slippers on," he warned and Harry slipped like an eel through his fathers hands and nipped away.

"I'm getting them!" he called over his shoulder. Then he stopped in the doorway, clinging to the jamb with long fingers. "I hear the owl post!"

"Slippers first!" Snape reminded him, then subsided back into a hunched yawn. "Four more weeks," he muttered again, before resigning himself to the inevitable and looking for his own slippers.

888

The school was blessedly quiet as they strolled down long halls to the side door, but Harry made up for it with his chatter. They were going out to look for wild plants to use in potions and they were each armed with a basket and scissors, small and extremely blunt ones in Harry's case. Lupin was lounging against the balustrade at the top of the stairs and Snape's footsteps hardly faltered as he spotted the tutor straightening to greet them.

"Harry!" he called, waving, and Harry's face lit up with pleasure.

"Mr Lupin! Aren't you on holidays?"

"I'll have my fortnight by the sea in August," Lupin said with a smile. "And how were your dragons?"

888

"Sorry you asked yet?" Snape murmured half an hour later as Harry finally wound down and took a breath. By now they were sitting on the low brick wall overlooking the standing stones.

Lupin smothered a chuckle. "It sounds like you had a wonderful time," he said sincerely. "I can't wait to see your pictures."

"We're going to make an album, aren't we, daddy?" Harry burbled. "And I forgot, Mr Lupin, I bought you a present!"

"Another one?" Lupin grinned. "I've never had so many presents in my life! You're quite spoiling me, Harry."

Harry smiled kindly and patted his tutor's arm. "I never had many presents before either," he revealed. "But now I've got really good ones."

Lupin's face softened and he covered Harry's small grubby hand with his own. "It's the thought that counts," he said softly. "I'm just glad you were thinking of me."

Harry cocked his head and considered this axiom for a moment, idly swinging his little legs. Snape decided he'd borne all he could of the tutor's company for the day and stood up briskly.

"Time to collect these plants, Harry."

Harry scrambled down and picked up his small basket, slinging it professionally over his arm. "We're looking for wild plants," he told Lupin seriously. "And soon we're going to come out at night with lamps and everything, to get plants that can only be picked under the moon." He shivered with pleasure. "It will be fun and creepy. Want to come along?"

"Mr Lupin doesn't like the moonlight, Harry," Snape couldn't resist prodding, but other than a wry look the werewolf wasn't biting.

"We'll see," he said noncommittally. "I saw some dandelions over there, Harry. Do you see them?"

Harry looked for the little nodding yellow flowers and rushed over. "Here they are!" he called. "Can I cut them?"

"Just the leaves," Snape told him, then turned a glance on Lupin. "You may go," he dismissed.

"Yes, master," Lupin drawled, heaving himself to his feet and stretching. His face looked a little drawn, his eyes tired. Snape turned to Harry then glanced back over his shoulder. Lupin was still standing there, gazing after Harry as well.

"Still here?" Snape said politely.

"I suppose it's out of the question," Lupin said tentatively. "I'm sure you'll say no..."

"Then why ask?"

"I just thought I might take Harry for some walks now and then. Or a swim one afternoon." Lupin firmed his jaw. "I know what you're going to say-"

"When?" Snape barked.

Lupin broke off, looking confused. "What?"

Snape sighed. "It's a simple enough question, Lupin. When do you want him?"

"I, er, you don't mind?"

"I hand him over to your care every day during term time," Snape reminded him disdainfully. "It would be a trifle hypocritical of me to deprive you of his company in the holidays, wouldn't it?"

Lupin's confused look faded into comprehension and he finally snickered. "Holidays getting a bit much for you, Severus?"

Snape shrugged eloquently. "If you've changed your mind, Lupin, just say so."

Lupin was still chuckling but he shook his head. "Not at all. I'd like to spend some time with him. Neville too when he comes back."

Snape shrugged again, as if the matter were of no consequence. "Fine," he said carelessly. "Send me a message when you're up to it." He walked a few paces then stopped, keeping his back to Lupin. "About swimming... Harry doesn't know how." He paused, about to frame a request and finding himself unequal to the task. He really couldn't bring himself to ask a favour.

There was a moments silence, then Lupin spoke tentatively. "I could teach him, if you like."

"If you like," Snape repeated, then strode away. Harry had neatly snipped a dozen of the softly scratchy leaves and displayed them proudly to his father, who made a point of examining them carefully and not looking back up until Lupin had walked away.

888

Dumbledore returned from his own brief time away and dropped in for tea that evening. He gratefully accepted the dragon shaped sweets Harry had selected for him and dutifully exclaimed at the wonderful photographs that Harry proudly showed him. Then he produced a gift of his own, a large creamy pastry in a box. Ever a sweet tooth Harry's eyes lit up at the sight.

"It's my especial favourite," Dumbledore confided with a twinkle, cutting it into slices and laying a large piece on a tea plate for the child. "You'd be amazed at how far I go to buy some."

"Thank you," Harry said, before enthusiastically applying his fork to the confection.

"Have you seen the Daily Prophet today, Severus?" the headmaster murmured quietly as he laid a more modest slice on Snape's plate.

"Not yet," Snape said, shooting a glance to his mail and newspaper still laying unopened by the hearth. "Harry was in a rather boisterous mood this morning and I was saving it until I had a quiet moment."

Dumbledore cast a fond glance on Harry's face, now remarkably sporting jam and cream from ear to ear. "I suspect such moment are few and far between," he observed. "Never mind, I bought the front page to show you." He produced a folded sheet from his robe and Snape took it, dread tightening his chest.

His fears proved well founded as he gazed at the banner headline.

HARRY POTTER RUMOURS CONFIRMED! they shrieked, and underneath a large grainy photograph that Snape realised was himself. Warmly wrapped against the cold he stood by a wooden railing, gazing into the distance. Captured in profile he was instantly recognisable, as was his son perched on his hip and gesturing excitedly away out of shot. There were other shifting forms around them but the father and son were the obvious focus of the shot.

"I didn't even see anyone take it," Snape said numbly, still gazing at the picture.

"No doubt there were many holiday makers all snapping away," Dumbledore said sympathetically. "Perhaps you should read the story."

The Boy-Who-Lived sighted in Europe! the headline just below the photograph proclaimed. The reporter was Claude Foote.

The Daily Prophet can now exclusively confirm that Harry Potter, famed hero and tragic figure of the wizarding world is indeed at large. Tirelessly chasing down the wild rumours that have been circulating for months, this reporter has revealed the incredible truth. Harry Potter is indeed living at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry under the care of a teacher who claims to be the famous hero's father!

Severus Snape, who will shortly take up a position as Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at the school has made these wild claims to none other than Albus Dumbledore himself, headmaster of the school and Supreme Mugwamp of the Wizengamut. When sought Professor Dumbledore declined to comment on this fantastic story.

Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, insists there is nothing untoward in the claim. 'The Ministry is and always has been taking care of Harry Potter,' he said late last night. 'His living arrangements are nobody's business but ours.'

The Daily Prophet invites the views of its readers as to whether this outrageous claim has any merit.

Snape flicked his glance from the page to the slice of cake on the plate in front of him, feeling his stomach turn at the nauseating sight of cream and jammy filling. He pushed the plate away with a shudder and handed the clipping back to Dumbledore.

"How typical of the Prophet," he sneered. "Maybe one fact in ten correct. Did they ask you for an interview?"

Dumbledore shook his head. "They might have tried but I was beyond their reach."

Harry was finishing his pastry, licking his lips and the fork with pleasure. Snape automatically picked up a napkin and passed it over and the boy accepted it and wiped his face, spreading the sticky substance even further.

"Go wash your hands and face," Snape ordered abruptly.

"Can't I have any more?" Harry asked plaintively.

Snape's voice was silky soft. "Do I have to tell you twice?"

Harry frowned curiously at the sibilant tone but obediently climbed off his chair and trotted to the bathroom. Snape rubbed at the bridge of his nose with fingers he was pleased to note were steady as usual.

"How will this effect us?" he asked the headmaster.

"Other than have you snapping at your son?" Dumbledore said mildly and Snape shot a seething glance at him. "Not at all, that I can see. After all we've hardly made a secret of Harry's presence here these last months. I doubt there's a child in the school who hasn't written home to tell their families about little Harry Potter coming to live here." He tilted his head and considered for a moment. "At least a child who's parents aren't muggles of course. They probably wouldn't care much."

"You've been keeping it out of the papers, haven't you?" Snape realised but Dumbledore shook his head firmly.

"It would never have occurred to me to do so," he said, voice and eyes candid. "I find banking a fire only makes it burn all the more fiercely when it at last breaks loose. No, I suspect Cornelius Fudge's hand behind this. He likes to keep a firm hold on the media and that's the part that worries me now."

"Because now it suits him for some reason to make this news public? But why? Why now?"

Dumbledore shook his snowy white head again. "It's possible the Prophet simply refused to sit on the story any longer. My guess is that a lot of people have been asking questions these last few months. These rumours the paper refers to."

"Do you believe that? Or do you think Fudge has an agenda of his own?" Snape asked desperately, lowering his voice as Harry rushed past them and into his bedroom.

"Fudge always has an agenda," Dumbledore said with a wry smile.

Snape could only shake his head, too worried to see any humour in the situation.

"Severus," the headmaster said quietly. "Trust me on this. Right here and right now there is no benefit to Fudge to try to take Harry away from us. Whatever seeds he is sowing for the future I do not believe your boy is in any danger from the Ministry."

"Right now," Snape qualified. "Here and now."

Dumbledore's wise old eyes were sober. "Here and now is all I can speak for, I'm afraid."

There were a dozen more fears and questions on Snape's lips but at that moment Harry rushed back in, at top speed as usual.

"I forgot to show you the flute I bought Neville for his birthday!" Harry enthused. He paused and gave his father an uncertain look and Snape nodded at him, regretting his harsh manner earlier. The headmaster was right, snapping at Harry wouldn't help. None of this was his fault.

"It's a fine flute," Dumbledore approved, handling the carved wooden instrument with its long dragon shape carefully. "I'm sure Neville will love it. Do you know, I believe his mother used to play a flute, long ago."

"Uh huh," Harry confirmed, taking the flute back and wrapping it once more in the soft tissue paper. "And she used to sing too. Did you know her, Professor?"

Dumbledore smoothed an unruly lock from Harry's brow, brushing against the pale red scar with long sensitive fingers. "I did," he revealed, a little sadly. "I remember her very well indeed, Harry." His wise eyes looked impossibly far away for a long moment. "I remember them all." Then he shook himself a little and smiled into Harry's eyes. "And what are you hoping for, young man, for your birthday?"

888

"But why can't you teach me how to swim, daddy?" Harry wondered.

Snape pulled out a pair of shorts and surveyed them critically. "These will do," he muttered before glancing back at Harry. "Because Mr Lupin is your teacher, Harry. I'm sure he'll be just as good at teaching you to swim as he is at all your other lessons. Now put these on."

Harry obediently lifted a leg and let his father help him on with the shorts, steadying himself with one hand on Snape's shoulder.

"But this isn't a bathing suit," Harry pointed out. "These are just shorts."

"They'll do for swimming. Put your robes and shoes on for the walk down to the lake."

But Harry had crossed to the mirror and was frowning at himself. "A bathing suit ought to be coloured," he said doubtfully, tugging at the baggy legs of the shorts. "Or shiny."

"Coloured?" Snape mused. He thought about it for a moment while Harry spun, then lifted his wand and cast a spell. A moment later the shorts sprouted silver and gold patches that quickly turned into moons and stars. Harry clapped his hands together.

"Perfect!"

"I thought you'd like them." Snape tugged Harry's robe over his head. "Now get your shoes on or Mr Lupin will think you've changed your mind about the swimming lesson."

Harry dropped to his bottom and tugged on his shoes while Snape wondered to himself if it was normal for a young child to be so clothes conscious. He couldn't recall even thinking about what he wore as a youngster, clothes were just something he wore, the only difference being how many layers depending on the time of the year. In fact he couldn't recall even taking pride in his appearance until he'd attended Hogwarts and been sorted into his house. Until he'd finally found a place he truly belonged.

"I need a towel," Harry reminded him and Snape summoned a clean one from the cabinet. "And can I have a swim ring?"

888

Harry spent the walk down through the castle to the lake explaining what a swim ring was. Unfamiliar with the concept Snape could see the appeal, but unfortunately couldn't think up a spell to conjure such a thing.

"Perhaps next time I'm in muggle London I can find you one," he promised.

Harry gazed up at him in surprise. "Do you go to muggle London? Why? Are wizards allowed there then?"

"Wizards are allowed anywhere they like, Harry," Snape informed him. "It's muggles who are not allowed in our world."

"Why?"

"Good planning on our part." They reached the shore and stood under the shade of the beech tree. Harry stood by his side as Snape laid out the thick green towel and reached for the boy's robe. The boy lifted his arms and let the robe be tugged back over his head, trembling hand smoothing his tousled hair back down as it was mussed.

"Maybe you and Mr Lupin could show me how to swim?" he said nervously.

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to." Snape crouched down and looked into Harry's uncertain little face. With only the baggy shorts slung about his narrow waist the boy looked much smaller and far more fragile. Snape himself was suddenly aware of the large expanse of blue water behind them.

Harry shrugged and bit his lip. "I do want to," he admitted. "How about if you just stay and watch? You could take your shoes off and paddle?"

Before Snape could answer this invitation Lupin was arriving, clad in a one piece swimming costume that covered him from neck to knee and down most of his arms and legs. Diverted from his fears Harry just stared at the red and blue striped outfit for a moment before he started giggling.

Snape rather wished he had a giggle or two in him himself.

Lupin stopped and looked down at himself. "What? No good?"

"I wouldn't say that," Snape managed as Harry covered his mouth and laughed harder. "It's cheered me up no end."

"I'll have you know this suit was handed down to me by my father," Lupin said with some dignity, although there was a twinkle in his amber eyes. "And I think it belonged to his father before him, I'm not sure."

Snape could only shake his head. It was annoyingly typical that even when he should have been embarrassed and humiliated the damn Gryffindor could make a joke out of it.

"Is that a wizard bathing suit, Mr Lupin?" Harry managed.

"The very height of fashion," Lupin informed him, tossing a bright red towel down next to Harry's.

"Perhaps we could get you one just like it, Harry?" Snape suggested, raising a brow. "What do you think?"

Harry raised his own brows in alarm and then looked into his father's eyes and giggled again. "No way!" he retorted. "I like my moons and stars better."

"It's your loss," Lupin informed him, ruffling the boy's silky black hair teasingly. "All ready for your first lesson?"

Harry's grin faded a little. "Um," he said, looking out over the vast expanse of blue water. "What about the giant squid, sir? It doesn't bite, does it?"

"The squid is the guardian of the lake, Harry. He's there to protect us," Lupin informed him, holding out one hand. "Coming?"

"Wait," Snape commanded, lifting his wand. "A little protection against the sun wouldn't go amiss either." He cast a quick spell and Harry shivered a little as a fine mist settled over him. He sniffed.

"Smells nice."

"Coconut," Lupin clarified. "My favourite." He held out his arms. "I could do with some of that myself. Severus?"

With Harry watching Snape could hardly refused, nevertheless he managed a grumble as he cast the spell. "There's hardly enough of you showing to make it worth the effort."

888

Severus watched as Harry tried the water with his toe, still clinging firmly to his tutor's hand. Then as Lupin stepped in up to his ankles Harry bravely followed, casting a glance over his shoulder as if to assure himself that his father was still close by. Then Lupin was sinking up to his neck in the clear water and Harry crouched a little to get wetter.

"Not taking a dip yourself, Severus?"

Snape started at the voice by his ear and shot the headmaster a dark look. "I'm not so fond of water as Harry is." He glanced back at where Harry was still standing while Lupin demonstrated a few moves with his cupped hands. "Not that you'd know it to look at him right now."

"He's a bold lad," Dumbledore said comfortably. He waved his wand and an ornate park bench appeared. The old wizard sat back with a sigh. "It's a perfect day for a swimming lesson, at any rate."

Overhead a bird circled and soared and a gentle breeze ruffled the surface of the lake, which reflected the blue of the sky and the tiny wisps of clouds that floated overhead. It was a perfect July day.

"Just thought I'd let you know that Fudge has been on at me about that picture and article in the Prophet. Didn't sound too pleased about it all, actually."

Snape grunted. He'd read the letters page in the newspaper this morning and it had irritated him so much he'd accidentally set fire to it. Witches and wizards the length and breadth of Britain it seemed all thought they had a right to comment about Harry Potter and his new circumstances. There wasn't a lot of support for the wizard 'claiming' to be his father. Snape had been fuming about that for hours.

"I had a letter from Molly this morning, Severus," Dumbledore continued as if they were having a perfectly chatty conversation instead of a clearly one sided talk. "She mentioned that you refused to let Harry go and stay with her and Arthur during the holidays."

Snape felt a flare of the anger within him. "As I told her when she first broached the subject, headmaster, and when she wrote to me about it later, it would not be safe for Harry to spend time away from Hogwarts."

"You found it safe enough to take him on holidays," Dumbledore pointed out mildly. "And we can certainly take precautions."

"I don't think so."

"If you're worried about being away from Harry I'm sure the Weasleys wouldn't mind you staying-"

"No," Snape said flatly.

"No," Dumbledore repeated.

In the water Harry was now feeling bold enough to float on his back, with Lupin's hands supporting him. His gaily patterned shorts billowed around his skinny legs and knobbly knees as he fearlessly tilted his head back and gazed up at the blue sky.

"Harry is brave," Severus said quietly, almost as if to himself. "He's had to be. But a lot of that courage is only surface deep. He wears it like a shell. Underneath he's still so unsure, so needy..."

Next to him Dumbledore was looking away, as if trying to conceal his expression.

"What?" Snape asked curiously.

"Nothing." Dumbledore's face when he glanced back was innocent. "Well Molly had a second thought, Severus, that you might be more amenable to. She'd like to throw a birthday party for Harry and Neville. What do you say?"

Snape's instinctive reaction was to say no and walk away, but he had learned long ago that instinctive was often reflexive, and that reflexes weren't always the best reaction to a situation.

"Harry might enjoy a party," he said slowly, turning it over in his mind.

"Might?" Dumbledore chuckled. "I'm sure he'd enjoy a party tremendously. And perhaps you're right about him not staying for any length of time. At his age it would be wiser to keep him closer to home. A little of the Weasleys goes a long way."

Severus sat down on the bench, keeping his gaze on the lake shore, where Harry now lay on his front, practising his kicking.

"You think I should do this, don't you?"

Dumbledore sighed. "I think," he began softly, "that the time may well come when such freedom will be denied young Harry. When the luxury of a holiday like the one you've just taken will be out of the question." Snape slanted him a reluctant glance and Dumbledore smiled at him sadly. "I think we need to let Harry enjoy such freedoms while he may."

Snape looked back at the water where the lesson seemed to be over for the moment. Instead Harry had his arms clutched about Lupin's neck and was being towed through the water, to his apparent delight.

"I understand it's not easy for you to trust your son to others. In fact I'm rather impressed, Severus, that you would even allow Remus to teach Harry to swim."

"I'm still impressed that I let Lupin within a mile of Harry," Snape said bluntly. "I wasn't given much choice then or now. The alternative was for Harry to never learn to swim, and believe me when I tell you that I am selfish enough to have seriously considered it as an option."

"But you swallowed your pride and asked Lupin for the favour?"

"He offered," Snape said sharply. "I have never asked him for anything!"

"But you would, for Harry's sake?"

"For Harry's sake," Snape said bitterly. "For Harry's sake. Can you think of any other reason I would let my son anywhere near that family of red headed fools? Why I stand by and let Lupin share these moments with Harry that I-" Snape broke off, rage all but choking him. Harry was squealing with laughter as Lupin tossed him in the air and caught him between strong hands.

"Sharing some fun with Lupin or a cuddle with Molly doesn't take any part of Harry away from you, Severus," Dumbledore said kindly. "And I meant what I said. The old Severus would have rather denied Harry then bent so far."

Snape's rage simmered as he clamped a lid on its cauldron within him. "The old Severus never had Harry in his life," he pointed out more evenly. "However I'm not sure how much farther I may bend, headmaster. Before breaking."

"Nonsense," Dumbledore dismissed. "I tell you quite honestly, my boy. You're stronger now than I've ever known you before."

Snape grunted noncommittally. He didn't feel any stronger. Watching his son with Lupin was like watching him with Molly Weasley. Like seeing a glimpse into a part of Harry that he could never share, because he didn't have the warmth or the heart to cuddle and play so openly.

"You always were harder on yourself than anyone else," Dumbledore said, patting his arm comfortably. "I think you're doing a fine job at fatherhood, for what it's worth."

"After those muggles I could only look good," Snape said gruffly, turning away from the praise.

"So will you think about the party then?"

Harry was wading out of the lake with Lupin beside him, and Snape watched as the tutor playfully rubbed Harry's dripping wet head as if he were a seal. The former Gryffindor was a huge influence on Harry's life. Molly Weasley wanted to be the closest thing to a mother the boy would ever know. Neville was like a brother to him and the Longbottom family, although smaller since the war, retained a prestige and influence that stretched back centuries into the history of the magical world...

Snape said nothing more to Dumbledore as he picked up Harry's towel and tossed it to the approaching child.

"Did you see me, daddy?" Harry was saying excitedly as he rubbed his face dry. "I was floating all by myself and kicking too. Mr Lupin said that tomorrow he'll teach me more and soon I'll be swimming like a fish."

Dumbledore conjured up another bench and a round table and Lupin wrapped his own towel around his shoulders and sat down with a sigh and a damp squelch.

"That's if we may have another lesson tomorrow, Severus?" he asked politely.

Severus inclined his head and Harry clapped his hands together. "I'm starved!" he then announced and Lupin volunteered to summon a house elf to bring them some snacks. Dumbledore chimed in his appreciation of the idea and the three set to deciding what they were most hungry for while Severus sat and surveyed his boy.

For Harry's sake indeed, but not without some deeper plan forming. Snape was a Slytherin after all, and they prided themselves on their cunning. How many brothers in the Weasley clan? Purebloods all. It couldn't hurt for them to grow up fondly thinking of Harry as a little brother. And just how much influence might the next generation of Longbottoms have, properly encouraged?

How many members of the Order surrounded the child, doting on him as he grew?

Harry had it all ahead of him, Dumbledore was only echoing Snape's own thoughts when he voiced that concern. Bringing him here to Hogwarts to keep him safe was like building a wall between the little child and those who might harm him, whatever their motive. How could it hurt then to start building some other walls and maybe some bridges, greater fortifications against what was to come?

Powerful friends and all the lessons that his father could teach him or have taught. What more could Snape do?

A fine job at fatherhood indeed.

888

"Harry," Snape interjected when the boy paused long enough to drain his pumpkin juice. "How would you like a birthday party?"

Harry lowered his glass and stared at his father, eyes wide. "A party?" he repeated. "For me?"

"And Neville."

"But who would come?" Harry wondered.

Snape glanced at Dumbledore and nodded slightly and the older wizard smiled widely.

"All your friends, of course," The headmaster said, spreading his hands. "Mrs Weasley and her family want to throw you and Neville a party at her house. And with you and Neville and his family and Mr Lupin and your father and I, why it should be quite a crowd."

Harry's eyes were still wide with surprise as he considered this. "A party," he said again. He frowned a little and glanced at his father. "With cake and candles and everything?"

"Wouldn't be much of a party without cake and candles," Lupin said cheerfully. "And presents and probably balloons and streamers too."

"Wow." Harry absorbed it all, then sought his father's gaze once more. "Is it all right?" he said uncertainly.

Snape nodded. "It's just fine," he said.