Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter Three

"Now I don't want to have to repeat this, so listen carefully," Snape said firmly, lifting Harry up onto the high stool and putting his drawing book in front of him. "Don't get off the stool and don't try to touch anything. I will be working with factors that might be dangerous and flame that certainly is. Understood?"

Harry nodded obediently and opened his crayon box. "I'm going to draw a picture for Neville," he declared. "As a welcome present."

"So long as you do it quietly," Snape told him, beginning to assemble his potion components on the wide bench opposite. It was time to brew a few of his draughts and he had no choice but to bring Harry with him. Since the incident last week the boy had been a little clingy and it was undoubtedly easier to let him stay as close as he needed for now.

Snape would never have believed he could actually look forward to seeing Remus Lupin but that was certainly the case today. In fact right now he'd welcome anyone who would distract Harry. Fortunately the Longbottom boy was arriving this afternoon and tomorrow morning the boys would begin their lessons.

Snape admitted privately to himself that he was growing somewhat fond of Harry. That didn't change the fact that he could hardly wait for the boy to start spending all day at school.

In fact the thought of being able to sit in on Madam Bright's classes and still have time for his own work was positively cheerful and it was with a light heart that he began to measure ingredients into his cauldron.

"What are you making?" Harry said, looking up from his concentrated efforts.

Snape held a finger to his lips and Harry nodded. "Sorry," he whispered.

Snape gently scorched some seeds and tipped them into a mortar. He applied the pestle vigorously and quickly tipped the smoky powder into his brew, watching with satisfaction as it swirled into the mixture, tingeing the brew a metallic colour. He glanced up at a uncharacteristically silent Harry and was surprised to see the boy's eyes were focused on him in fascination, crayons forgotten.

The brew had reached a critical point and Snape counted automatically under his breath as he added the last of the ingredients, finishing it with a huge spoonful of pale rich honey which oozed into the bubbling brew and thickened it instantly. Immediately he lowered the heat and started stirring anti clockwise, muttering a spell under his breath. Finally his work was done and he pulled the spoon from the brew and left it to simmer. He inhaled the sweet scent with satisfaction, admiring the sensual slide of the now silver potion back into the cauldron as he carefully scraped the spoon so as not to waste a precious drop.

"You may speak now," he said, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand.

"That looks like fun!" Harry exclaimed. "It's like cooking, isn't it, daddy?"

Snape smiled, too content from his successful work to take offence. "These are medicines and potions I'm brewing, Harry," he corrected, sitting back onto a stool and automatically checking the low temperature under the cauldron. "Certainly not food. Do you remember what I told you about potions?"

"Never drink any potion unless you give it to me," Harry repeated by rote. "Was that honey you put in there, daddy? Was that to make it taste nice?"

Snape snorted. "Taste is not an issue in a potion, Harry. Honey is a living substance and it has great power in a mix. Some brewer's spend their entire lives studying the different effects that can be achieved through honey from different blooms and plants. Even different climates and regions." He realised he was lecturing and stopped with a grimace. "Perhaps they'll make a teacher out of me after all," he muttered.

"Can I make a potion too, daddy?" Harry carefully selected another coloured crayon and looked up.

"Perhaps some time," Snape allowed, still feeling generous. "I have another potion to brew, please continue to behave."

Harry nodded agreeably again and went back to his picture, tongue tip protruding as he scribbled industriously away.

888

"Why won't he come out and play with me?" Harry said miserably, pointed chin on his hands as he studied the closed door with brooding eyes. "I thought he was my friend!"

Snape laid his book down and sighed. "The boy's upset, Harry, surely you can understand that. He's probably missing his grandmother."

Harry looked doubtful and Snape had to silently agree. It was hard to imagine anyone missing that bluff old witch. Still, it was obvious she loved the boy, even if she didn't seem to know how to show it. And Neville had appeared composed enough during the gruff good byes and during dinner, although to be honest he hadn't managed to get a word in edgewise as Harry nattered away about how much fun they would have.

Harry shifted impatiently again. Neville had mumbled something about unpacking and disappeared into his room, closing the door firmly behind him and Snape guessed he was indulging in some tears. A private man himself he understood the urge for solitude, but Harry was having a more difficult time with it. Patience was not one of Harry's virtues.

"Why don't we see if he wants some supper?" Snape gave in. "There's a fine looking chocolate cake under a cover in the kitchen."

Harry leapt up and was at the door before Snape was on his feet, knocking gently and pushing it open.

Neville was laying on his bed in the dark, narrow shoulders hunched and Snape stood uncertainly in the doorway, wondering if it wouldn't be kinder to leave him for a little while longer.

But Harry had no such misgivings, he trotted to the side of the bed and hauled himself up. "This is a nice bed," he said conversationally. "The Perfessor and I picked it out together just for you. You should have seen the dust on it!" Harry faked a sneeze and giggled into his hands. "The Perfessor sneezes so loud his whole beard flies up!" Harry confided. "But we decided this was the best bed just for you."

Neville's shoulder quivered and his muffled voice was so soft Snape had to strain to hear it. "Why?"

"Cos it's the same as mine," Harry said as if it was obvious. "I told him that we're best friends and that mine was the best bed in the world and you should have one too. It took us ever so long to find it!" Harry shrugged and rolled his eyes theatrically. "Practickly all day!" he huffed.

Neville turned his head and looked at the designs on the ornate wooden headboard.

"And you've got curtains too," Harry reminded him, standing up on the bed and tugging them closed. Now Snape could only hear them, not see them. "It's cool isn't it? Like a cubby house!"

There was a sniff and then some movement behind the thick curtains. "What's a cubby house?" Neville said thickly.

"You know," Harry prompted. "Like a secret house all our own. And you can pertend that it's a fort or a cave or a pirate ship. Maybe it could be a space ship!"

More shuffling behind the curtain and Neville's voice was clearer. "What's a space ship?"

Harry laughed in surprise. "A ship that goes into space," he said in an isn't-it-obvious tone of voice. "Fancy you not knowing that?"

"W- w- well you didn't know what Gobstones was," Neville said defensively.

There was a moments silence and Snape found himself leaning forward anxiously. Please don't start to squabble, he begged silently. That might actually finish me off.

"That's true," Harry finally agreed, his voice grudging. "My aunt and uncle were muggles and they din't tell me about magic and stuff."

"Really?" Neville sounded amazed. He sniffed again and Snape winced. Little boys seemed to be made up of fifty percent snot at times.

"Yeah," Harry confirmed. "But I don't talk about them any more. My daddy gets real mad when I do and his lips get all thin. It gives me a sore tummy when he gets mad."

Snape felt his own stomach clench at the candid little confession.

"He's a bit scary," Neville agreed in a small voice.

"He just looks that way," Harry assured him. "He gets a scary face sometimes, but he's not really. Not with me cos I'm his boy and he loves me."

"I'm not his boy," Neville said, his voice sad. "What if he gets mad at me?"

"He won't," Harry said confidently. "He gets mad at other people but he won't get mad at us. You're my best friend and..."

Snape hoped he could live up to such faith. He frowned as Harry trailed away.

"And what?" Neville said curiously and Snape nodded, repeating the query in his head.

"Well," Harry said slowly. "I was thinking... You and me could be like brothers, couldn't we? And take care of each other and stuff?"

"Could we still be best friends?" Neville asked anxiously.

"Of course!" Harry said scornfully. "Don't you know brothers are best friends too?"

"Oh."

Silence while Neville absorbed this inside the curtained bed and Snape absorbed it outside. He was constantly amazed at the way Harry's mind worked. Was it his own great capacity for love that drove him? The need to have the family he'd been denied his life long? He was building one now, idolising his unworthy father, adopting a brother. What was next? A mother?

Snape felt a sweat of panic break out on his forehead at the very thought. Especially as he ran over a list of available candidates here at Hogwarts.

"All right," Neville finally agreed and Snape came back to the moment with a bump. "Will you tell me about spaceships then?"

"Sure!" Harry said enthusiastically and Snape took the opportunity to slip away. He sat back down with his book but he couldn't seem to achieve any sort of concentration.

Why do I get the feeling I've bitten off more than I can chew?

888

By breakfast the next morning Snape was utterly sick of spaceships and cursing the ridiculous muggles who ever came up with the idea of building them. He thought that if he had to admire one more picture of Spacemen Harry and Neville he might actually scream. He did admit that Neville's drawing of a graceful galleon floating amongst stars and planets had been particularly effective, though Harry seemed to find it hilarious for some reason.

The sight of Remus Lupin standing in the doorway of the old nursery was almost welcome.

Snape had a boy on each side of him and he glanced down at their half frightened little faces with foreboding. This would all go much smoother if they actually liked their lessons.

"Good morning, boys," Lupin said cheerfully. "I'm Professor Lupin."

"Morning," Neville mumbled.

"Hello," Harry said, gazing up curiously. "Are you a Perfessor? I thought you were a toota?"

"You may just call me Mr Lupin, if you like," Lupin said, smiling kindly. "It's easier to pronounce, isn't it? Would you like to look around your new classroom?" He stood aside and the boys glanced at each other before sidling past him inside.

Snape had to admit the space was being used very effectively. The huge round room directly above their own quarters in the tower was a former nursery for the potions master who had raised his eleven children here at Hogwarts. It was surrounded by wide windows, safely barred but still providing a stunning view over the crags and the lake. Colourful portraits of old fashioned classrooms and students circled the room, one of them made a cheeky face at Snape and he frowned repressively at it.

There were two desks and chairs in the centre of the room but there were benches all around with an array of interesting items, including a large tank filled with greenish water which had drawn Harry and Neville to it like magnets.

"Severus," the tutor said with a cautious nod.

"Lupin," Snape bit out quietly. It wouldn't do for the sharp eyed Harry to see his dislike of the new tutor. He wanted the boys to enjoy their new schooling.

He really really wanted that.

"I have the boys lesson plan here if you'd like to look over it." Lupin handed him a piece of parchment and Snape reluctantly took it, glancing over the neatly drawn tables.

"Art and Craft?" he drawled. "Music? Dance?" He shook his head. "Surely the boys time could be spent more profitably?"

"They're five, Severus," Lupin said with a raised brow. "What would you suggest, Advanced Arithmancy?"

"But dance?"

"Little children enjoy music and movement," Lupin said knowledgeably. "The loud noise, the vigorous exercise, especially when the weather might not permit outside activities." He slanted a sly look at Snape. "Think of all the excess energy it will expel."

At that moment a little green face appeared against the glass tank and Neville squealed loudly, causing Harry to shriek with laughter and Snape to wince.

"I see what you mean," he allowed. "Lupin, I'm coming around to Dumbledore's view. No one deserves this job as much as you." Folding the plan he handed it back, allowing himself an evil smirk. "I really mean that."

Lupin accepted the parchment, suppressing a rueful grin. "Thank you, Severus, I appreciate the thought and the sentiment behind it." He took a deep breath. "Better get started then." He gestured with his wand and a small bell on the desk lifted into the air and chimed. Harry instantly looked around and hurried to a seat and after a moment Neville followed his lead, taking the other seat and copying Harry's every move as he sat up straight, hands on the desk.

"Well done," Lupin praised and Harry beamed. "Remember, when I ring the bell you take your seats and pay attention. Say good bye to Mr Snape, boys, school is about to begin."

Harry looked over at him, his smile fading a little. "Bye, daddy," he said in a quiet voice.

"Bye." Neville waved shyly.

"I will be in the tower all day," Snape said, ostensibly to Lupin but making sure Harry heard. "In the dungeons with Madam Bright and then in my lab." He waved a hand and sketched a small wave and Harry relaxed a little and waved back. "See you at lunch, boys."

Closing the classroom door was a relief but just for a moment there was a kind of sadness too. Harry had been all his for the last month, his total and complete responsibility. There was something a little poignant in handing over some of that responsibility to someone else, even if it was for only six or so hours a day.

The sadness lasted until he was about halfway down the steps before the sense of freedom kicked in. He'd have died under torture before admitting it, but it was just possible Severus Snape was happy as he headed down to the dungeon.

888

By lunchtime Snape had to admit to some curiosity about the boys progress. He slipped away from the back of a truly woeful first year potion lesson while Madam Bright was haranguing a purple and green coloured Hufflepuff girl and pointing out her mistakes.

Had Harry been alright without him? It was the first time they had been parted for any significant time since the incident the week before and Snape found himself picturing a dozen different scenarios in his head as he climbed the steps up to the classroom. What if Harry had cried? Or misbehaved? How exactly was the werewolf planning on punishing infractions in class anyway? Wasn't that something a responsible parent would have asked before dumping his child and gleefully running away?

The old doors in the tower were thick but not quite thick enough to prevent sound from escaping, and Snape could hear the music before he reached the landing. Reining in his impatience he turned the handle and pushed the door open a little before peering in.

Harry and Neville were in the middle of the floor, their desks and chairs pulled to the windows and neatly stacked. The boys were standing side by side following closely the movements of their teacher as a squeaky old machine played a raucous tune. Snape watched in fascination as his childhood nemesis swiveled his hips and sang loudly to the accompanying music.

"If you're happy and you know it shake your legs!" he boomed and Harry and Neville chuckled and shoved each other as they attempted to follow Lupin's movements, shaking first one leg and then the other. Harry was warbling along at the top of his voice, and alas, Snape noted, the boy had inherited his father's singing talent as well.

"If you're happy and you know it and you really want to show it, if you're happy and you know it shake your leg!"

The music died just as the bell on the table rang and Harry and Neville collapsed onto the floor, giggling and nudging each other playfully.

"Whew!" Lupin said, wiping his forehead and grinning widely. "Thank you very much for sharing that song with us, Harry! Perhaps you might know one we can use tomorrow, Neville?"

Neville stood up, dusting off his robes and shrugging. "My gran didn't sing many songs, Mr Lupin," he said doubtfully. "My great-uncle used to sing one sometimes, but I don't think you can dance to it." He covered his mouth and chuckled. "It was a bit rude I think."

Harry looked interested. "Rude?"

Snape judged this an appropriate time to intervene. He pushed the door open and stepped inside. "Ready for lunch, boys?"

"Daddy!" Harry exclaimed happily, trotting over to him. "Did you see us dancing? That was my favourite song from my school! My old school," he added hastily.

"Yes, I was fortunate to catch the last verse," Snape said, catching Lupin's eye. "It's quite possible I shall never forget it."

"You should have joined in," Lupin said innocently, a flush on his pale cheeks. "What do you say, boys? Shall we ask Mr Snape to dance with us next time?"

Neville looked scandalised at the idea but Harry just smiled and grabbed his father's hand. "My daddy doesn't dance," he explained confidently. "Dancing is only for little kids."

"And tutors apparently," Snape said smoothly, squeezing Harry's hand.

"Can Mr Lupin come to lunch with us?" Harry asked eagerly.

"I think Mr Lupin might like a little quiet time to relax," Snape said, hoping he was concealing how appalled he was by the very idea. He knew Dumbledore had assigned the new tutor rooms nearby but that was the extent of his knowledge on the subject. It was his fervent hope that the two of them wouldn't even have to meet outside this classroom.

"Professor Dumbledore has asked me to dine in the main hall," Lupin informed them. "But thank you, Harry, for the kind invitation. Shall we walk down together?" He offered Neville his hand and the youngster took it shyly. Snape wondered if this was some kind of dig at him as they walked down the stairs together. He would have held Neville's hand if the boy had indicated a desire to. The blasted werewolf hadn't given him a chance.

"See you in an hour!" Lupin waved and continued down the corridor to the hall.

"Can we eat with the big kids sometime?" Harry called as he and Neville washed up and Snape uncovered their waiting meal.

"Perhaps, if we're ever invited." Snape checked their hands before allowing them to sit at the table. He'd never met a child like Harry for getting grubby, apparently he had the ability to attract dirt even while sitting perfectly still in a spotless room.

Not that Harry ever sat still.

Still, Snape had to admit that evening that Dumbledore's arrangements were working quite well so far. Instead of having to find tasks to keep an active five year old occupied all he had to do now was ensure two active five year olds didn't destroy their rooms or themselves while they invented new games to play together.

Apart from a brief period as a referee when the boys argued whose drawing was the best Snape had barely had to intervene. He had been forced to amend his no-more-than-four pictures on the kitchen wall at once rule to allow Neville equal space, but after that he'd had a quiet and peaceful evening with his book in front of the fire. Deciding the boys deserved a treat he whipped up a batch of cocoa and divided the remains of the chocolate cake.

Harry, with a five year old's uncanny ability to smell chocolate at fifty paces came belting into the room and beamed happily when he saw the treat. He opened his mouth to yell for Neville but fortunately caught his father's eye. His propensity for 'bellowing' was being nipped in the bud.

Soon the two boys were ensconced by the fireplace munching cake and drinking hot cocoa with blissful expressions on their faces.

"Mr Lupin says we're going to make picture frames in Craft," Harry told him, licking his chocolate moustache. "I told him about my mummy's picture and he said we can make them tomorrow."

"I'm going to make one for my parents," Neville volunteered softly. "Mr Lupin said he'd take a photograph of me to put in it. As a present," he finished on a whisper.

"That sounds pleasant." Snape reflected that he was going to get tired of hearing about Mr Lupin very quickly indeed. "Time for your baths." He glanced at the clock on the wall. "Who wants to go first?"

Harry stared at him, appalled. "We want to have a bath together," he said as if amazed his father could imagine it any other way. "With bubbles."

Snape looked at him doubtfully. "This is bath time, Harry, not play time. The bathroom is not the place for hi-jinx."

"But if we have a bath together we'll have time to play too," Harry pointed out cunningly and Snape was forced to agree with this logic. He was also quite proud of the boy for coming up with the idea.

"We'll give it a try," Snape agreed. "But mind me, Harry! Neville! No dangerous play or in future you will bathe separately in one inch of water and no bubbles."

"Yes, sir," the boys agreed, chastened by such a dire threat.

888

Snape sat on Harry's bed and smoothed the covers over his yawning son's chest. "I like my new school, daddy," Harry confided.

"I guessed." Snape drew the curtains around until they were enclosed in a little cosy cocoon. Harry hadn't strayed to the wardrobe to sleep since the curtains had been installed and Snape congratulated himself on the brilliant idea.

"Daddy?"

"Hmm?"

"Will you kiss me good night?"

This was new and Snape stared at him in surprise. "If you like," he allowed, wondering if perhaps Harry was still more uncertain than he seemed.

"But when you say good night to Neville don't kiss him good night, okay?" Harry hurriedly ordered him. "That's just for daddies and their own boys. Okay?"

Snape studied the small worried crease between Harry's eyes. It had never even occurred to him to say good night to Neville but he hastily revised that plan. The child was doubtless lonely and missing home and could probably do with some reassurance. Harry obviously needed some too.

"You're the only boy I kiss," Snape said honestly, and he leaned over and gently pressed his lips to Harry's brow.

"But you can tuck him in," Harry said graciously.

"Thank you, I will." Snape tousled unruly hair and illuminated the little globe before leaving his son's room and heading for Neville's. The little boy was laying on his back with the light on staring up at the ceiling. Relieved the child wasn't weeping Snape came and awkwardly sat on the edge of the bed. Neville watched him warily.

"I thought you might like a night light," Snape offered, transfiguring a glass ornament from the bedside table into a globe like Harry's and illuminating it. "If you want it to go out just blow on it."

"Thank you," Neville said in a small polite voice.

"If you want me I'll be just down the hall." Snape smoothed the covers over Neville's chest and tried to smile. The boy just blinked at him and Snape sighed and stood, turning off the lights with a muttered Nox. He paused in the doorway and looked back, wondering what the child was thinking and feeling. There was no doubt that Harry's more obvious emotions made him easier to read at times.

"I hope you'll be happy here," was all he could think of.

888

In the night he woke and automatically stumbled down the hall to check on Harry. He peered in through the curtains and cursed under his breath when he saw the bed was empty. A quick check of the wardrobe revealed it was also empty and shivering on the cold floor Snape crossed the hall to Neville's room. Parting the curtain of the boy's bed he breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of the two children laying side by side.

Neville's head was on Harry's shoulder and he was drooling a little onto the thick night gown. Harry snuffled in his sleep, cuddling his Merlin under his chin. The night lights lay together next to Neville's head on his pillow. Wondering just who had needed whom in the night, Snape drew the curtains closed and went back to his own bed.

888

"Neville was crying," Harry revealed as he dressed the next morning. Neville was in the bathroom brushing his teeth and Snape automatically straightened Harry's dragon jumper around his narrow little hips as the boy donned his robes. "He missed his gran and everything."

"I'm sure he'll get used to us," Snape said, wondering, not for the first time how a man who'd never wanted children had ended up with two. "And he'll be going home on the weekend."

"He likes it here," Harry revealed, letting his father help him with his socks and shoes. "It's just new and scary. I was a bit scared when I came here too."

"Were you?" Snape murmured and Harry nodded.

"A bit. But I'm all right now. Neville will be too."

Snape brushed a strand of unruly black hair off Harry's forehead, fingers stroking the old lightening bolt shaped scar. "You're a wise little boy, Harry."

Harry beamed. "And a good dancer too," he bragged.

"I noticed."