Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter Five

Snape and the boys ate breakfast at the staff table at Professor Dumbledore's invitation. Harry was so excited he could barely spoon his porridge into his mouth, his wide eyes were devouring the large hall and the four rows of long tables.

"Look, Neville," he said loudly, waving across the room. "There's Charlie! And that must be his mummy! Hi!"

Molly Weasley was indeed already ensconced at the table and she waved a napkin gaily, nudging another red headed child by her side. Students at the table around her were chuckling and waving back at Harry's unselfconscious greetings and other students in the room began to crane their necks and stare at the newcomers.

"Harry! Sit down at once," Snape ordered sharply. "You're making a spectacle of yourself."

Only slightly abashed Harry sat back and spooned up some more porridge. "She looks nice doesn't she?" He looked around happily. "I like eating in here!"

"I like the sky," Neville said in wonder, gazing up at the magical ceiling, today showing a high blue sky with little fluffy clouds scudding lazily across it.

"Ooh," Harry gazed upwards, openmouthed, porridge dripping down his chin. "How do they do that?"

Snape leaned forward and spoke quietly. "Harry Potter, have you forgotten all the manners I've been teaching you for the last few months? If you cannot behave yourself better you will certainly not be allowed to eat dinner at the Gryffindor table today."

Harry hastily dabbed at his mouth with his napkin and sat back in his chair, finishing his porridge quietly. "Sorry, daddy," he said contritely. "I was just excited."

"It's too early to be so excited," Snape said firmly. "You have a long day ahead of you, boys. Pace yourself."

"You boys eating at the Gryffindor table today?" Professor Flitwick trilled from down the table.

Harry glanced at his father before replying. "Yes, sir. My friend Charlie's mum invited us."

"I was a Ravenclaw myself," the tiny teacher proclaimed proudly, gesturing towards the tables.

"Harry and I are going to be in the same house as our dads," Neville piped up bravely and Harry nodded enthusiastic agreement.

Flitwick opened his mouth to speak but closed it again after a quick glance at Snape's face. "Well, well," he said jovially. "It doesn't always work that way, lads."

"I like the birdie," Neville said, pointing at the pennant over the Ravenclaw table. "It looks jolly."

Flitwick chuckled around his pumpkin juice. "I've never heard our proud symbol described just that way before," he admitted. "What about you, young Harry? What do you like?"

"I think the lion is quite fierce looking, sir," Harry said politely. "But the snake is very cool. And the badger is an interesting animal, my teacher Mr Lupin said so."

"Very diplomatic," Flitwick said approvingly. He turned to his side. "Hear that, Minerva? Young Harry and Neville think all the houses look quite, er, what was that word, Harry? Cool?"

Harry nodded again and dabbed his lips with his napkin. "May we be excused, daddy? We'd like to talk to Charlie before the match."

Neville gulped the last of his milk and wiped his mouth clumsily before looking over anxiously. Snape leaned forward. "You may," he allowed. "But mind me, boys! I will be watching your behaviour closely."

"Yes, daddy!" Harry said, sliding off his seat and pushing it back under the table. "Come on, Neville!"

"They must be quite a handful for you, Severus," Minerva McGonagall said, watching with a fond eye as the two five year olds raced down the hall and were greeted by her house.

Snape sipped appreciatively at his own tea. "Not at all, Minerva," he said sedately. "A little firmness and very clear expectations are all that is needed for children their age."

"And affection," McGonagall said pointedly.

Snape acknowledged the comment politely, most of his attention on the Gryffindor table where Molly Weasley was engulfing the boys in an enormous bosomy hug. Even from where he sat Snape could see that Harry looked quite overwhelmed by the experience, although he was smiling widely a moment later when the newest red headed boy was shoved forward by his mother.

888

Harry pushed his hair a little flatter as he noticed more of the big children around him staring at his scar. He'd never really thought much about it before, but now he found himself wondering a little nervously why it seemed to be getting so much attention. Mrs Weasley had her arm around Neville's shoulder and was chatting with him about how he liked being at school for the first time. Next to him Ronnie Weasley was staring at him, one finger in his mouth.

"Are you really Harry Potter?" he asked curiously.

Harry nodded.

"Oh." Ronnie seemed to think about it for a while. "Want to see my Boomerang Ball?" he said, slipping his hand into his pocket and pulling out a bright red rubber ball. "You can play catch with yourself. If you throw it away it comes back."

"Cool," Harry said, studying the battered looking ball in Ronnie's grubby paw. "Will you show me later?"

"Sure," Ronnie said generously. He nodded at Neville. "Is he your brother?"

Mrs Weasley's attention was caught by Bill and Neville trotted down to them and sat at the table.

"We're like blood brothers," Harry explained. "That's even better than real brothers cos we chose each other."

"Wish I could choose my brothers," Ronnie said darkly.

"I like your brothers!"

"Not them two," Ronnie dismissed. "Fred and George, my other brothers. My mum teaches us at home and they always tease me and stuff. And they hardly ever play with me."

"You can play with us," Neville invited generously and then looked over at Harry as he always did.

"Yeah," Harry said excitedly. "We could have a club and it'd just be the three of us!"

"No twins allowed!" Ron crowed and Neville nodded and beamed.

"Harry?" Mrs Weasley called and Harry trotted over. "Ask your father if you can watch the game with us in the Gryffindor box, instead of with him, will you?"

Harry bit his lip nervously. He liked Mrs Weasley, especially her squashy hugs, but he really wanted to watch the game with his dad.

"Mr Snape's real strict," Neville put in helpfully and Harry nodded fervent agreement. "He won't let us sit with anyone else."

"He likes to look after us, you see," Harry expanded. Mrs Weasley was watching him narrowly and Harry again flattened his hair nervously.

"Well, don't forget to come eat with us after the match then," she reminded him, and Harry smiled.

"We won't! Can Ronnie play with us this afternoon?"

We're not going home right away, are we, mum?" Ronnie asked anxiously and his mother kissed his freckled nose.

"Not right away, no," she said fondly and Ronnie grinned and rubbed his face.

To Harry's surprise she leaned over and kissed his cheek next before engulfing him in another warm hug. He found his eyes drifting closed as he breathed in her scent, he thought that she smelled all good and toasty, like fresh bread and butter. And it felt so nice to have her arms squeezing him and her soft lips bussing his face. "What a lovely boy you are," she murmured proudly.

Then it was Neville's turn for a hug and the other boy was blushing as she set him away and stood up.

"Come on, Ronnie," she said briskly. "Let's go and find some good seats and get settled."

"Bye!" Ronnie waved and the two boys stood side by side as the large hall emptied around them and the children filed out. All of a sudden Harry wanted his daddy and he hunched his shoulders, rubbing at his cheek were Mrs Weasley had kissed him. He almost remembered something now, someone else's soft touch and loving murmur in his ear...

"Harry?"

His father's hand rested on his shoulder and Harry turned into his leg and buried his face in the folds of his familiar velvet coat. It had its own scent, dark and spicy, like the shops Aunt Petunia used to hurry them past when they walked home from school, full of mysterious fruit and veg hanging from the ceiling and rustling in the breeze.

"Harry?" his daddy said again, lifting him into his arms. "Are you all right?"

"He likes Mrs Weasley," Neville said sombrely and Harry peeked down and saw the other boy was leaning against his father too, his round face tight. "She hugs like a mum," he said simply and his daddy laid one hand on Neville's head.

"Come, boys," he said quietly. "Let's find a good seat in the stands, shall we?"

Harry's dad carried him to the stands but Harry quietly said he could climb the stairs on his own. Adults and teachers filed past them up the creaking stairs and his dad put him down and crouched by him, offering a clean hankie.

"Blow," he ordered and Harry did, folding the hanky and tucking it into his own pocket. His dad never did want a hankie back once it had bogies on it . The thought made Harry smile a little and his dad cocked his head to the side. He never smiled with his mouth, Harry's dad, but he smiled with his eyes and Harry felt himself uncoiling a little inside at the sight. His dad's eyes were mostly black but they were a warm and shiny black right now and Harry smiled back.

"Did my mum used to hug me?" he asked curiously, his voice sounding like he had a sore throat.

"I expect so," his dad murmured. "Mothers generally do."

Neville nodded emphatically. "Mine did," he revealed. "And she sang."

"I like your hugs too, daddy," Harry reassured him.

For a moment he thought his dad would hug him but then he knew he wouldn't, not out here. Not in front of all these people. But he did clap his hand gently on his shoulder and then usher them up the stairs to find their seats.

888

Neville went home after tea and Harry sparked out on the soft armchair five minutes later, his newest friend Ronnie by his side, mouth open and snoring gently. Mrs Weasley pulled a throw rug from the back of her own armchair and laid it over their laps tenderly.

"What a pair of firebrands," she whispered. "I'm sure they'll be the best of friends."

"They'll be in First Year together, won't they?"

Molly nodded, sipping her tea with a sigh. "But that's a long way off," she said comfortably. "I've three more at home to see off to school first, and then another after this one."

Snape stared at her, open mouthed, not even caring that he must look like a total fool. "You're joking," he said weakly.

Molly chuckled. "Always wanted a big family," she confided. "Like my own. Lots of little ones running around, a house full of life and love." She looked around the round tower room and huffed a small nod. "I must admit, this place is cosier than I imagined," she admitted grudgingly.

"Did you think I had them locked in the dungeons?" Snape snapped, the habit of answering fight with fight too ingrained to ignore.

"Yes," Molly admitted candidly. "Something like that." She smiled into his astonished eyes. "Well, you must admit, even in the old days you never went out of your way to be friendly. Even when we were on the same side."

"What has friendship to do with raising a child?" Snape asked blankly.

"Plenty! Children learn by example, and I'm not sure James or Lily would want little Harry learning from your example."

Snape clenched his jaw, closing off all expression from his face. "Then perhaps Lily should have chosen another father for her child," he said silkily.

Molly's cheeks reddened a little. "I didn't mean anything like that," she said hastily. "What I meant to say was that Harry might need some other influences in his life, that's all."

"Volunteering yourself by any chance?"

"Why not me?" Molly said reasonably. "I wasn't close to James and Lily, it's true, but we were friends. And a boy should have a female influence in his life, don't you think?"

"Don't you have enough children to mother?"

"Obviously not." Molly smiled sweetly. "The offer's for Neville as well. Both boys could do with some affection. Not that you aren't affectionate," she said hastily. "I didn't mean that!" She laid her tea down with a shaky hand. "Oh, bother," she said crossly. "This isn't coming out right."

"Perhaps you should just make your offer," Snape said, growing bored by the whole thing. Was this how it was going to be? Lupin, McGonagall, this Weasley women? Was he going to have to justify the way he was raising his son to everyone he met?

Molly looked taken aback. "Offer?" she faltered. "I was just hoping to see Harry again, that's all. Have him and Neville over for tea now and then, perhaps to stay in the hols? Ronnie would love some company his own age and why are you shaking your head?" she finished exasperatedly. "Can't you at least hear me out?"

"Not about this," Snape said quietly, casting a glance at the boys to ensure they both still slept. Harry was snuffling into Ron's shoulder, cuddling comfortably against his warmth. "Mrs Weasley, does it not occur to you to wonder why Harry and I are here of all places?"

"You're going to work here, aren't you?" Molly said uncertainly.

"I'm going to work here because this is where we live now. Fortunately I have skills that make me employable as a teacher, or I might have found myself trailing along behind the groundskeeper for my living."

Molly frowned, eyebrows knitting. Then realisation dawned and her face cleared. "Oh," she breathed, hand flying to her mouth. She looked over at Harry and her son, worry clouding her features now. "Oh my. Harry's still in danger, isn't he?"

Snape inclined his head, lips thin with impatience.

Molly was shaking her head. "What a fool you must think me," she said quietly. "It's been so long I'd started to forget you see. What it was like." Her eyes were still on the sleeping children. "I so hoped they wouldn't have to grow up with all these fears and worries."

"I will protect both those children as much as I can from such worries for as long as I can. Fortunately Harry loves his home and his school." Snape clenched his fingers around his teaspoon, feeling the old silver bend under his fingers. "Which is just as well, as this place will virtually be his prison for the next dozen or so years."

"And yours too," Molly said perceptively, dabbing at her eyes with her napkin. She sniffed once or twice and then shook her head briskly. "Well, so that makes it trickier. But I still want to see the boys, be an influence in their lives." She fixed him a earnest look. "Will you let me? Not to replace in any way anything you can do for them. Just as addition, sort of thing. Please?"

Snape recalled Harry's distress earlier and was tempted to reject the offer out of hand. But then he remembered dinner time and the smiles and laughter from Neville and Harry at the Gryffindor table as they drank toast after toast to the team. It was true Molly's presence had caused Harry to feel the loss of his mother more keenly for a few moments, and perhaps he would feel that again and shed tears over it.

But if he could gain any sort of comfort from the relationship, shouldn't he? There had been tears in his eyes for a little while, but most of the day he had hung from Molly's arm and pressed against her side, vying for her attention with every child near her.

His own feelings on watching Harry with her were irrelevant.

"Perhaps something can be arranged," Snape said finally. "But if I feel it is having any adverse reactions on the boys I will put a halt to it immediately."

Molly smiled broadly.

888

After they were gone Snape sat in the darkening room, listening to Harry sleep. Had he just agreed to share his son with someone else? Another old Gryffindor? Had he done the right thing?

Suddenly restless he stood and pulled on his cloak before gathering Harry into his arms, blanket and all.

"Where are we going?" Harry asked sleepily as they climbed some stairs. He rubbed his eyes against his father's shoulder and cuddled close. "Is it night?"

Snape emerged into the Astronomy Tower and strode to the balcony, pushing through the glass doors and finding his old familiar seat against the wall.

"What is this place?" Harry sat a little straighter on his father's lap and looked around the dim balcony curiously.

"I used to come here when I was a boy," Snape revealed. "Look, Harry." And he gently tilted Harry's head back.

The child's eyes opened wide behind the round lenses of his glasses as he took in the Milky Way cutting a swathe through the sky above them. "Wow."

"Yes."

They sat in silence for long minutes, gazing upwards at the endless band of glimmering stars that shone down on them.

"Neville would like this," Harry whispered.

Snape held him closer, feeling the aching vulnerability of small fragile bones against his body. It scared him sometimes, how open Harry was to others, how far he let them inside himself. He dreaded the thought of the inevitable pain such unguarded intimacy would one day bring.

"I know you miss Neville when he goes home," Snape said tentatively, wishing he were better at words, especially the important ones. "And that you like the Weasleys. But you must try not to rely so much on other people, Harry. Sometimes if we give too much of ourselves to others they can... hurt..."

But Harry didn't appear to be listening, his eyes were on the cloud of stars above them, mouth open in wonder. "There's so many of them," he was murmuring. Then he blinked and looked into his father's eyes. "I do miss Neville when he's gone," he confided shyly. "But this is good too, daddy. When it's just you and me, when I'm just your boy."

"I... I like it too," Snape admitted hoarsely. Harry was looking at him and he tried to smile into that dear little face, he really did. But Harry was smiling at him anyway and then he was resting his cheek against his neck just as he had the first time he had been lifted into his father's arms.

And Snape felt it now as he'd felt it then, as he'd felt it every day since in a smaller, more intimate way, that rush of magic moving through him, like blood through veins. Warming him, calming him, making everything clear. Now he knew what it was.

Love, of course.

Had he just been telling Harry not to give of himself? How ironic! When the one true gift he had ever given of himself, (and to old enemies at that) was the best thing he had ever done.

What if he'd never given that gift?

His arms tightened of their own accord around his boy as he thought how close he had come to never having the only thing in his life worth anything.

"Why did you come up here, daddy?" Harry was whispering, breath warm against his father's neck. "When you were a little boy?"

"I came here when I felt alone and somehow the stars made me feel better."

"Now you're not alone any more, are you, daddy?"

"No," Snape admitted softly.

Harry sighed in contentment. "Me neither."