Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter Seven

Snape sipped his tea and sat back in his chair with a sigh, contemplating the thought of the second year class he'd be taking after lunch for double potions. It ought to be good for a laugh, if nothing else. He looked up and frowned as Harry stomped into the room.

"Harry, get your robes on, you're going to be late back to school."

"I'm not wearing my robes," the five year old said crossly. "It's too hot."

"Well I'll perform a cooling charm on you," Snape offered. "If you wipe that scowl off your face."

Harry scowled harder. "The cooling charm wears off too soon," he grumbled. "And the robes get in the way when I run."

"Nevertheless," Snape began, holding onto his patience.

Harry crossed his thin arms and looked mutinous.

"Why don't you take off the muggle clothes and simply wear your drawers under your robe?"

The boy looked horrified. "Then it'd be like I was wearing a dress!"

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose as his ire rose.

"Why can't I wear normal clothes?"

"You are a wizard, Harry, robes are normal. And they are not dresses," he managed. But the boy's brow was still lowered mutinously and his lower lip protruded.

"Why don't we try this then?" Snape said, patience worn thin. "Go and put your robes on or I'll tell Mr Lupin you're not to play any sports this afternoon. How does that sound?"

Harry's chin trembled and his eyes filled with tears, but his father could easily tell they were tears of temper and so he was unmoved.

"Fine!" Harry exclaimed, tossing his hands theatrically. "I'll just cook then!" And he stamped back into his bedroom, kicking the door jamb on the way.

Reflecting that second year students who routinely blew up their cauldrons would be a doddle after this, Snape glanced at Neville who was watching the scene with wide eyes. When he caught Snape's eyes on him he quickly buried his face in his glass of juice and sipped loudly.

888

True to form the second years didn't let him down and after an enjoyable afternoon of sneering at failed potions and handing out detentions Snape felt considerably cheerier. Madam Bright seemed invigorated just by observing and they exchanged an almost pleasant five minutes making sarcastic remarks about the particularly dunderheaded students in the bunch.

It was therefore somewhat disheartening to find Harry sitting in the corner of his classroom with that sulky lower lip once again protruding.

"I'm afraid Harry's had something of a bad afternoon," Lupin said delicately. Neville was sitting behind his desk with his chin on his hands and looking thoroughly miserable. "I was forced to cancel sports," the tutor continued.

"It's a shame Neville had to miss out as well," Snape said meaningfully and Harry frowned even harder.

"Neville rather sealed his own fate when he joined in the mutiny," Lupin revealed and Snape turned an astonished gaze on Neville who sunk even lower in his seat.

"I'm sorry you had a wasted afternoon, Mr Lupin," Snape said, eyeing his two charges balefully. "I'll make sure you receive a pair of apologies tomorrow." He stood back and gestured at the doorway. "Downstairs, boys and quick-smart." Neville stood up and Harry began to drag himself from his stool.

"Now!" Snape barked and both boys jumped and scurried for the door.

Back in their quarters Snape stood with his back to the door and surveyed the two boys sternly.

"Anyone care to tell me what that was all about?"

Neville slanted Harry a quick glance but they both stayed silent.

"Fine," Snape bit out. "Both of you go to your rooms. There will be no playing and no dessert with supper."

Harry scowled but still said nothing. Neville only hung his head.

"And after supper you will both write Mr Lupin a letter of apology. Understand?"

Neville nodded but Harry only turned and fled to his room, slamming the seldom closed door behind him. Neville hung his head again and tramped like a condemned prisoner to his own room.

Left on his own Snape frowned and paced to the kitchen for a much needed cup of tea. Whatever had got into the boys? Neville he could understand, he followed Harry into all things, apparently even into trouble.

But Harry's behaviour was more mysterious. Perhaps he was sickening for something again?

Supper arrived and he carried a plate to Neville and laid it on his small play table. The boy was sitting with his pad in front of him, a neatly written letter on display.

Dear Mr Lupin I am sorry I was norty and said that the sums were dum. I'm sorry I made crosst eyes at you to from Neville Longbottom, wizard.

"Very good," Snape praised.

He hesitated outside Harry's room, but the boy was still not speaking, he sat on his bed, doll under his chin, his back firmly to the door.

"Have you written your apology yet?"

"Not gonna write any dumb old 'pology," Harry muttered.

Snape sighed and laid the tray on the bedside table. "Did you really say that mathematics was dumb?"

"Yes!" Harry said aggressively. "And why should we learn sums anyway? Wizard's shouldn't have to learn dumb old sums."

"It's not for little children to decide what they will or won't learn," Snape said severely. "I'm thoroughly disaffected with you, Harry. It's not bad enough that you get yourself into trouble with your bad temper, but to lead Neville astray too-"

"It's dumb Neville's fault!" Harry yelled, spinning on the bed and facing his father. "You're my daddy, not his! You should be taking me out, not him!"

Nonplussed Snape stared for a few moments. Then realisation dawned.

"This is because I'm taking Neville to visit his parents in the hospital?" he said incredulously. "That's what this song and dance is about?"

"I'm your boy, not him," Harry said angrily. "You've never taken me anywhere, and we've been here years and years!" He gestured sweepingly to indicate the huge length of time he had been at Hogwarts and Snape snorted and shook his head.

"We've been here just a few months, Harry. And they've been very busy months-"

"But you're not too busy to take Neville out," Harry accused, tears in his eyes again. And not just tears of anger this time, Snape noted.

The older wizard shook his head. "This is hardly a pleasure trip Neville and I are going on. His grandmother has hurt her hip and doesn't want Neville to miss his mother's birthday. Surely you can understand that."

But Harry had his face turned away again, burying it in his doll's velvet cap.

Snape stood up. "I am very disappointed in you, Harry. If you want to spend your evening sulking, then by all means do so. But eat your supper and wash up before bedtime."

888

Later that evening Snape went to Neville's room to collect his plate. As was his habit he stood by the boy's bed to wish him good night and tuck him in.

"I'm sorry I was naughty," Neville said miserably. "Harry's mad at me."

Snape sighed and sat down. "Harry's jealous," he told the small boy honestly. "He'll get over it. I'm more concerned with your behaviour today, Neville." He smoothed a hand over the bed covers thoughtfully. "It won't do, you know, to follow Harry into trouble every time he's in the mood for it. In fact, Neville, I was rather counting on you to be a good example to him at such times."

Neville looked astonished. "Me?"

"Yes. You know that Harry was raised by muggles, so he doesn't always know the correct way to act in the wizarding world."

"Like his table manners," Neville said knowingly and Snape nodded.

"Just so. But his manners are much better since he began to copy you."

"Harry copies me?" Neville asked, looking amazed again.

"Hadn't you noticed?"

Neville shook his head in wonder.

"Well he does. And I was hoping some of your other behaviour would rub off as well. I'm not saying it's your job to keep Harry on the straight and narrow." Snape rolled his eyes. "I have the feeling it might take a team of us to do that. But it would help if you didn't allow yourself to be led into bad behaviour just because you care about him."

Neville turned it over in his mind. "I'll try," he said at last and Snape nodded.

"Good."

"Mr Snape?" Neville said. He was tracing the embroidery on his covers, one little finger circling a bright green rose. "If it makes Harry mad maybe I shouldn't ought to visit my parents on Saturday?"

Snape felt a pang of pity for the boy, remembering his instinctive reaction to Mrs Longbottom's request to take the boy visiting his parents in the hospital. He had actually been quite horrified to learn the child had been visiting them for years.

As Snape did with most things these days he measured this against his own life with Harry and found himself quite adamant on the subject. If he had been in Neville's parents place, and he might very well have ended up in such straits, he would not have wanted Harry to visit him. Not just for the boy's sake either, he was selfish enough to revile the idea of his boy seeing him in such a condition.

"It's your mother's birthday," he said helplessly. "And your grandmother's wish that you visit."

Neville just shrugged, eyes still on his finger tracing the rose around and around.

Snape covered that restless hand briefly, squeezing the fingers before standing up. "We won't stay long," he promised, vowing to break one of his own rules and speak with Mrs Longbottom about the raising of the child. After all, he spent more time with Neville than she did these days. Her decisions, especially the stupid ones, effected him as well.

Next it was to Harry's room and Snape was gratified to see the supper tray had been licked clean. His own father would have sent him to bed without any supper but Harry had had too much of that kind of punishment already. He was healthy enough these days that a missed meal wouldn't damage his body, but Snape wasn't sure what it might to do to his peace of mind.

He cast a glance at Harry's bottom drawer where an unopened box of Honeyduke's biscuits still resided. Harry didn't hoard his food any more and he didn't creep from his bed in the night to seek the comfort of the wardrobe or Neville's bed. But he didn't need any reminders of those bad times either.

Harry was laying back under the covers, face shining from his evening wash, doll tucked under his chin. He looked deceptively virtuous as he blinked sleepily up at his father with those almond shaped eyes.

"Finished your sulk yet?" Snape wondered, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

Harry's chin quivered. "Can't I go with you?" he beseeched.

"Even if that were possible I'd be unlikely to reward you for your bad behaviour today, would I?" his father said sternly.

Lip's quivering now Harry nodded. "I was naughty," he admitted and Snape softened, reflecting that if he wasn't careful this child would twist him around his little finger.

"You were," he returned, maintaining his severe face. "You can make up for it by apologising to your tutor tomorrow, and being nicer to Neville. You've made him quite miserable, you know, with your attitude."

Two big fat tears rolled down the side of Harry's face into his snowy white pillow. "'kay," he whispered.

"And if you do behave yourself for the rest of this week I will take you both to the village on Sunday. How does that sound?"

Harry sniffed and rubbed his face on his doll. "Really?" he said cautiously.

"If you're very good," Snape reminded him. "And that includes not making a fuss when I take Neville to the hospital on Saturday. Understand?"

Harry nodded meekly. "Yes, daddy," he whispered.

Snape made to stand and then hesitated. Since the day Neville had arrived and Harry had asked him for a kiss goodnight he had kissed the boy's forehead after tucking him in every night without fail. He was still slightly out of temper with the child, not least because he was unsure if he had made the right decision in not punishing him further for his behaviour today. But he didn't want Harry to think that his father's affections would be withheld if he misbehaved.

Snape remembered all too well how that felt.

So he leaned forward to bestow a brusque peck to Harry's forehead.

Before he could straighten though, skinny little arms circled his neck and Harry's damp cheek pressed against his own for a moment. The boy was crying again.

Snape patted his shoulder awkwardly. "Well," he said gruffly. "No need to carry on so. It's all over, isn't it?"

Harry nodded and sniffed again, subsiding back on his pillow and knuckling his eyes.

Snape let him settle back and conjured a hanky to wipe the boy's eyes. "There are other people in our lives, Harry," he said softly, smoothing the soft lawn over damp cheeks. "And we're glad to have them there, aren't we?"

Harry nodded.

"But we're each other's family, you and I, right? Just the two of us?"

And Harry nodded again, his lips turning up in the tiniest smile.

"Well then." Snape stood and extinguished the light, setting the night light aglow in their evening ritual. "Good night."

"Night, daddy."

888

True to his promise Harry's behaviour was back to normal the next day and Snape breathed a sigh of relief. After those initial stirrings of possessiveness when Neville first arrived Harry had settled in quite nicely to sharing his new father. He even seemed to enjoy having someone to compete against for praise. The incident yesterday had been the first time Harry had really shown his jealousy, although upon reflection Snape thought he should have expected it. The trip to London with Neville must seem like quite a big deal to such a small child.

By Saturday morning Harry was clearly unhappy again, but he didn't lose his temper when Mr Lupin dropped by to pick him up.

"I appreciate you giving up your morning to take care of Harry," Snape told the tutor stiffly. Harry was leaning against his father's leg, Merlin clutched to his chest.

"Not at all." Lupin smiled kindly at the little boy's sullen face. "I'm sure we'll have a fine time. I though Harry might like to visit Hagrid."

Harry's interest perked up. "The giant?" he said uncertainly.

Lupin smiled. "The groundskeeper," he clarified.

Harry let go his father's leg and took a step closer. "With the puppy dog?"

"That's the one."

Harry cast one more reluctant glance at his father and then trotted over to his tutor's side.

"Okay," he agreed. Then he glanced up and met Lupin's eye. "I mean, all right," he corrected. Then his dark mood seemed to break and he smiled his old smile. "I've wanted to meet him for ages and ages," he revealed shyly. "But daddy says he's much too busy to bother."

"I also mentioned his habit of keeping rather dangerous pets," Snape expanded, glaring at Lupin. There was no way he could possibly withdraw the treat now but he would certainly have a few sharp words to say to the tutor later on. He had deliberately kept the boys away from the rather dubious influence of Hogwarts infamous groundskeeper. "Mind your manners. Harry," Snape warned his son. "Be a good boy."

"I will," Harry said sunnily. "Don't forget we're going to the village tomorrow, though, all right?"

"I won't."

888

They flooed to Diagon Alley and then walked to the muggle subway from there. Neville was still subdued and he merely walked along quietly by Snape's side as they boarded the train.

Muggles around them stared curiously and Snape met their impertinent glances with a glare, causing some of them to pale and look quickly away. Glancing down at himself Snape had to wonder what had drawn their attention. In deference to the weather he had eschewed his robes and cloak and was wearing a simple black velvet suit with silver embroidered buttons. Neville was appropriately dressed for a child of his age in pumpkin knickerbockers and long white stockings, with a dark green embroidered waistcoat and long sleeved lawn shirt beneath it. Even his black buckled shoes were nicely shined.

Shrugging away the curious propensities of muggles Snape sat back to endure the ride, holding out an automatic hand to the boy as the ridiculous mode of transportation jerked to a halt at every stop.

By the time they arrived at their station the crowds were thicker and Snape lifted Neville up and perched him on his hip to disembark the train. The boy stiffened and clutched his shoulders and Snape redoubled his firm hold.

"It's very high up here," Neville said nervously as they pushed through the crowds on the platform. He leaned closer, hands holding tightly. "No one's ever carried me before," he revealed.

"We must have chosen a bad time of day," Snape said, patting his back absently. "If you were to walk you'd probably be crushed."

"I don't mind," Neville assured him quickly. He looked around and his round face creased in his first smile all day. "I like it."

The small hands relaxed on his shoulders and Snape relaxed a little himself. He hadn't realised how Neville's dread at the upcoming visit had been effecting him until this moment.

He had his own burden of uncertainty about Frank and Alice Longbottom.

Outside the hospital ward Neville hesitated and Snape made up his mind.

"It's all right if you don't want to go in," he told the child. "I'll talk to your grandmother about it."

Neville looked tempted for a moment, biting his lower lip nervously. Then his shoulders slumped. "Gran says they look forward to seeing me," he explained sadly. "So I better not disappoint them."

Snape seated himself in the corner of the little closed in section of the ward, picking up a crudely framed photograph where a picture of Neville waved out at him. Two adults were sitting by the window, looking out at the occasional cloud floating by in the bright blue sky. They didn't even look up as Neville greeted them. With a sigh the child climbed up on a chair next to his mother and began to talk; he was obviously used to this.

Watching the small child interact with his unresponsive parents Snape reflected on a few things. Sometimes he felt like he'd learned a lifetime's worth of lessons from his son in the months they'd spent together, all of them positive. Now for the first time he was realising he'd learned a few lessons from undemanding little Neville as well.

Patience firstly. Snapping at Neville was only effective if your ultimate goal was broken crockery and accusing looks from Harry.

And now this new lesson. That sometimes courage came in the most unusual packages. Like small round faced boys with nervous eyes.

As they finally bade the unresponsive Longbottoms farewell, Neville reached out one small hand and laid it over his mother's lax one, in her lap. For a moment there was no response, Alice continued staring out the window at the bright blue sky. Then her shoulders twitched and she looked down at her lap, before lifting her free hand and awkwardly patting her son's.

888

Neville was smiling as he exited the hospital, and Snape took a great breath of fresh air. He'd never been so glad to leave a place before in his life.

"Gran was right!" Neville said happily. "She was glad to see me! Did you see?"

Snape laid a hand on Neville's silky head. "I saw."

888

"We're going to Hogsmeade!" Harry sang at breakfast and Neville joined in.

"We're going to Honeyduke's!"

"There's more to Hogsmeade than just a sweet shop, boys," Snape lectured. He found himself facing two uncomprehending stares.

"It's not just a sweet shop, daddy," Harry explained patiently. "It's the best sweet shop in the whole world! My friend Hagrid told me all about it!"

"I wish I could meet Hagrid," Neville said enviously and Harry preened.

"He said he knew me when I was a little baby," Harry said for the tenth time. "And he took me for a ride on a flying motorbike." He sighed sadly. "He doesn't have it any more though, he told me."

Neville looked uncertain. "I don't think I'd like a flying motor bike," he confessed. "It would go too high."

"I can't wait to go high!" Harry bubbled excitedly. He zoomed his spoon around the table, dripping milk all over the once pristine cloth. "I can't wait 'til I can fly a broom and zoom everywhere!"

"You'll be zooming straight back to bed if you don't sit back and eat your breakfast!" his father exclaimed and Harry popped the spoon into his mouth and sat back.

"Maybe Mr Lupin will take us to see Hagrid?" Neville said timidly into the silence.

Harry cast his father a look. "Maybe," he said more sedately. "He did say Hagrid has interesting animals we should know about."

"And did you see any?" Snape asked silkily, reminding himself to have words with Lupin on the subject as soon as possible.

"Just his puppy dog." Harry giggled, wrinkling his nose. "He's an awfully licky dog, and his breath stinks!"

"To save yourself from the same fate, finish your breakfast and brush your teeth," his father ordered. "It's almost time to go."

"Yay!" Harry and Neville cheered.

888

On the outskirts of the school Snape crouched and faced his two squarely. "Now, remember what I said, boys. You hold each other's hands and you do not let go. You stay by my side at all times. Wander, even just a little, and we turn around and come home. Understood?"

"Yes, daddy."

"Yes, sir."

Snape reached into his coat and pulled out two huge galleons. Two pairs of eyes lit up.

"One each," he said, pressing them into little hands. "But, mind! They're not to be spent all at once, and not all on sweets!"

The boys clutched their coins and immediately reached out and grabbed each other's hands.

"We'll be good," Harry vowed and Neville nodded vigourously.

One hand in his pocket around his wand and both eyes on his charges Snape led them down the path to the village of Hogsmeade.

"That's where I got my cape," Harry said excitedly, pointing at the Gladrags store.

"Look, Harry!" Neville exclaimed. "Horsies!"

"And horsie poo!" Harry returned, snickering coarsely. "It's huge and stinky!"

"And not something to chatter about," Snape said long sufferingly. But Harry was already off on another subject and Snape could only roll his eyes and let himself be carried along on a wave of enthusiasm.

888

His feet ached from walking, his shoulders ached from tension and his ears were protesting hours of excited chatter and squeals. Never so glad to sit down in his life Snape enjoyed a well earned butter beer while the boys spread their purchases over the table and compared treats.

Harry was wearing a hat he had purchased from the joke shop, every minute or so it changed dramatically, and at the moment it was shaped like a pirate hat, jaunty white feather and all. With a quiet pop it became a feathered confection with a stuffed bluebird soaring majestically in its centre.

Snape hoped the charm wore off quickly.

Neville had made an altogether more sensible purchase of a paint set with a dozen or so jars of bright colours. Since he had very nearly decided on a shrill tin whistle that loudly replayed every tune played on it, Snape thought he had made an excellent choice.

"Move your things, boys, lunch is arriving."

Harry swept his sweets back into his bag and smiled happily at Madam Rosmerta as she laid a steaming bowl of soup and a crusty bun in front of him.

"Looks like two young fellows have had a busy day," she said, patting Harry's tousled head and winking at Neville.

"An expensive one at any rate," Snape said sourly and she wrinkled her nose and grimaced prettily at him. "Two sweet lads like these deserve spoiling." She patted Harry's head again then stopped abruptly and drew back her hand. "Oh, my," she breathed. "It's little Harry Potter!"

Snape stiffened and looked around the room but the noise level was high and no one appeared to have overheard.

"I'd appreciate if you didn't broadcast that all over the town," Snape snapped and Rosmerta looked startled.

"But little Harry Potter!" she enthused more quietly. "The boy who lived!"

Harry was looking confused and Snape stood and loomed over her, grasping her arm and pulling her a few steps away from the table.

"The very young boy who lived," he snarled into her wide eyes. "Who doesn't need and won't understand the attentions of a bunch of gaping strangers."

"All right," Rosmerta huffed, pulling her arm free and rubbing it. "I was just excited is all. I don't want to scare the lad."

Snape schooled his face. "I apologise for grabbing you," he said stiffly. "But-"

Rosmerta held up her hand and he broke off. "It's all right," she said with a rueful half smile. "I understand. You're just looking out for him." She slanted Harry a curious glance and smiled at him.

Seeing the worry in the child's eyes Snape nodded and Harry relaxed and began to eat his soup.

"He's so little," she said quietly. "Course you want to protect him."

Unsure how to respond to such sentiments Snape contented himself with another nod.

"You go back to your lunch, dearie," Rosmerta urged, patting him on his arm.

Snape watched her click away on her high heels and sat back in his seat.

"She's pretty," Neville observed.

"She knows my name," Harry said curiously. "And she was looking at my scar like the big kids at home do."

Neville considered Harry's forehead as he spooned his soup.

"It is very cool," he observed, then grinned proudly at using one of the words Harry had taught him.

Harry grinned back.

888

The boys little legs were dragging by the time they reached the beech tree, so Snape conjured a blanket and they all sank down on it gladly. Another quick spell and a house elf appeared with a jug of iced pumpkin juice and they enjoyed a glassful while they sat in the shade and watched the gentle breeze ruffle the calm blue waters of the lake. Students were about, some resting like themselves, other hardier souls playing one sort of game or another. Their cries were like distant background music as Snape leaned back against the trunk of the tree and relaxed.

Neville was already on his back, snoring, and Harry, his mouth sticky from the treats he'd indulged in on the walk home, had flopped onto his side.

"No napping, daddy, okay?" he appealed, then instantly fell asleep.

Resisting the urge himself Snape tilted his head back and studied the clear sky, eyes half closing at the pleasures of the afternoon.

When was the last time he'd sat under a tree and just gazed at the sky? Had he ever?

His mind drifted back over the day. Although the village near the school enjoyed its own share of protections there was no doubt Harry had been vulnerable there. Rosmerta had surely not been the only one to notice Harry's scar and recognise he famous child.

But he couldn't keep the boy cooped up forever, occasionally such risks had to be taken.

Snape wondered to himself just how serious the threat to Harry might be. Without the Dark Lord around did his followers really have any interest in stirring up trouble for themselves? Fanatics like the LeStranges had shown their hands quickly after the day their master disappeared and were rotting in Azkaban. And what did that leave? Wizards like Malfoy who had spent all his time and influence back then protecting his own narrow white arse?

He shivered at the thought of that pale pointed face sneeringly asking about Harry. Maybe there was a threat there, even if it was just the general malice of evil.

Neville snored and snuffled in his sleep and Snape glanced back down at his charges, letting the peace of the day wash over him once more. He wouldn't worry about the evil out there, not on such a fine day, and not for as many days as he could manage. For now he would do something else he couldn't ever remember doing before.

Just enjoy himself.