Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

This fic will most probably turn out slash, Harry/Draco. Nothing intimate or so, as I’ll focus more on Harry and Severus’s relationship as father and son. Some minor language will definitely be found.

 

I’m ignoring a lot of things that were revealed to us in book 5 and 6. If something doesn’t fit with what JK wrote then it’s because I didn’t go according to that…

 

Slash relationship possible: Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy

Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter has not been beta read yet. Chapter 2 and 3 has been and I will update them tomorrow.

Disclaimer: I don’t own Harry Potter. This magical world belongs to JK Rowling and her publishers. No profit is made from this.

Chapter 1

Severus Snape swept through the corridors of Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The students unlucky enough to find themselves in his way were ruthlessly pushed aside with biting comments and a severe loss of points.

Severus was not a happy man! To think that he had ever considered that man a friend!? No, friend would imply someone you cared about, or who cared about you! No, a friend would never do something like this to you…

In all fairness, the man was not unreasonable, okay, he was actually quite sensible and decent about it, but that did not matter to Severus.

The conversation he’d just had with his best friend ran through his head like an old broken car with no brakes.

Flashback

“Severus! So glad I could find you. Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?”

Severus spun around at the sound of the familiar voice. Raising an eyebrow at the man standing behind him he gave a tight nod and followed his friends to his quarters.

“To what do I owe this surprise visit Lucius? Surely your wife hasn’t driven you out of your house,… again!”

The scowl directed his way had absolutely no effect on Severus as he himself had taught the man how to do it effectively. Lucius Malfoy might have grown up with etiquette lessons hammered into his head but ‘scowling’, no, that he had learned from Severus.

“Not that it concerns you Severus, but no, my wife has behaved decently enough since her last unfortunate accident. She complained for days about a lingering scent of moss and grime.”

Severus smirked at the memory before turning serious again.

“If not to complain about demanding wives, what brings you here?”

Severus watched with confusion as his normally stoic friend actually squirmed in his seat.

“Someone came to visit me over the weekend and I’m afraid that it was not a very…. enjoyable visit. Patricia Parkinson has proposed the suggestion of her daughter becoming betrothed to Draco. She feels that as soon as the children leave for school, various things might interfere and influence the children, thus pushing them apart. I think you can see for yourself where this is going…”

Severus sat back in his chair as he studied his long time friend.

For Lucius to come to him with the ‘problem’, would suggest that it was not just a mere suggestion from Parkinson’s side but an actual formal request.

A Formal Request for a marriage proposal between two such prominent wizarding families was not to be taken lightly, and was definitely not refused without considering the consequences.

“I take it that she’s invoked ‘Marriage Proposal Act 15 of 1852’?” At Lucius’s nod Severus continued. “I can understand your reluctance in promising your son to her daughter but what is it you want from me?”

Lucius focused his complete attention on Severus and the foreboding feeling which had formed in his chest as soon as Lucius had started talking, now blossomed into outright panic – which he ruthlessly squashed down.

“No Lucius, you can not possibly be asking this from me! I might be in need of an heir, I know that the family name can not continue without any offspring of my own, but I’ve come to grips with that, I’ve made peace with that!”

End Flashback

Of course, Lucius had pointed out some very valid points after that but Severus refused to let his righteous anger diminish even one tiny bit. This was asking too much of him.

He had known for years that it was possible to obtain an heir through adoption; he even knew that you could pass down generations of magic through an adoption bond – which would make it possible to adopt an ordinary muggle and make him/her magical.

If, and only if he went through with this ridiculous notion, he would make sure to take revenge the best way possible! An heir, any heir, would just mean one thing – the family name would continue – it doesn’t mean that he would like the brat or, Merlin forbid, look out for him! No, what it would mean is that his godson, who just happens to be his best friend’s son, would have someone else he could become betrothed to.

What would Lucius say when he found out just who, or rather, what Severus planned to adopt. Oh, the man would learn his lesson and learn it well!!

*****

The orphanage before him seemed to be fairly well cared for. Even though some of the paint had begun to peel, the windows were all still in-tact and actually clean; which was more than he could say of the previous two he had ‘visited’.

With a disgusted sneer, Severus made his way up the path and rapped three times on the door. If he had to wait more than one minute, he would leave; as he had with the first orphanage he had visited. He did not have time for any dallying!

Just as he made to turn around the large oak door creaked open and a timid voice beckoned him, “Yes sir?”

Looking down at the filthy brat who’d opened the door, Severus put on his most menacing expression before stating curtly that he wished to speak with the ‘manager’ of the orphanage.

The brat looked at him with wide, fearful eyes but nodded hastily and retreated inside the building.

Severus followed slowly, taking in his surroundings; he thanked his lucky stars that he had never lived in such a deplorable place.

A strict looking woman beckoned him to follow and he made his way slowly after her.

Lucius was so going to regret dragging him into this mess!

*****

The office they entered had a surprising number of photos and pictures. Apparently, the caretaker had lost her mind after the many years of dealing with snot-nosed brats. That was the only reason Severus could think of that someone would keep such a number of photos in her office.

“Now dear sir, what can I help you with?”

Severus focused on the woman before him and in the most calm and collected voice he could manage; he presented his case to her.

He was a very accomplished business man with more money than he could ever use himself. In a very selfless attempt to reach out to his fellow man, he had decided to take in three orphans for the summer holidays. All his credentials and any other ‘useless muggle rubbish’ – as he called it – had been prepared and presented to the woman. Of course, as he knew would happen, she was delighted and with the ‘permission’ he had gained from the local authorities, she was only too glad to hand him over three of the little brats.

“Only boys for now please, we wouldn’t want any unnecessary ‘accidents’ to take place, now would we?”

The woman regarded him with a thoughtful expression before nodding and leading him to one of the dormitories.

“I think it would be best then to keep them to the younger kids. No one older than twelve I’d say.”

Severus nodded in consent. The thought of having to deal with three teenagers made the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. Younger kids he could handle, just scowl at them and snap a few times and they would learn their place. Older kids usually had more ‘guts’ or ‘foolish Gryffindor bravery’ as he called it and would most likely get the idea in their heads that they could actually talk back to him!

No; better to keep this little ‘experiment’ to the younger kids.

Of course, Severus was not planning on returning all three brats by summer’s end. He would, if he was lucky, return two of the brats after a week and the last one… well, the brat he finally decided on keeping would learn what it takes to be a Snape, his heir and above all, magical.

Entering the dorm for the younger kids, the woman called out five names. Terry, John, Henry, Peter and Shaun.

Severus eyed the boys with well disguised disgust. He was so not cut out for this!

Severus once again wracked his brain for any other possible payment of the life-debt he owed Lucius but he knew it was a futile endeavor. He had gone over every other possibility only to realize that nothing else would satisfy a life-debt.

Promising his heir to Lucius’s son; that unfortunately, was enough to satisfy such a debt and Severus had to pay it.

Looking the brats over, Severus picked three of them out with his eyes. Shaun, the last brat Madam Kitchener had called was not even an option. The boy looked to be about eight years old while the others were all about ten, maybe eleven. He was scrawny, the smallest of the bunch and looked as if a strong wind would blow him over. No, not Shaun.

After careful consideration, Severus finally picked Henry and Terry. They looked to be the strongest of those called over to them and even made an attempt to stand upright and keep their heads high, it didn’t quite succeed but they did make the effort.

Facing the last three, Severus once again looked them over carefully. Just as he was about to call out that he’d take John with him as well, he caught Shaun’s gaze. He couldn’t quite explain it, not even to himself, but there was an inner strength he could see in the boy’s eyes and the name that slipped from his lips was not John, but Shaun. The boy in question blinked at him before turning around to gather his belongings.

Wondering just what on earth had happened, Severus beckoned the three brats out before following them. Signing the last of the necessary papers, Severus ushered the boy’s out and down the street to a deserted alleyway.

“What I am going to tell you and show you now will not be repeated to anyone, ever! Understood?”

“Yes sir.” Three voices chorused. Severus nodded once before pulling out the portkey he had acquired just for this occasion.

“Touch this book and on the count of three, close your eyes. One, two, three!”

As the portkey whisked them away, Severus once again caught Shaun’s eyes and instead of seeing fear and bewilderment in them, all he found was awe and excitement.

*****

So what you’re saying is that magic is real, you’re a wizard and flying carpets are not only found in fairytales?”

Severus bit back the urge to snap at the boy. It had taken the better part of an hour to explain what had happened when they had traveled by portkey, where they were now and what would happen for the rest of the holidays.

“Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Now, if you please, the three of you can choose any room you wish on the ground floor. You will stay here for at least a week so choose something you are comfortable with. The first floor has a pool, a bar and just a general relaxing area. You are allowed to go there whenever you wish. The second floor is strictly forbidden however. That is where I live and work, you will not enter there under any circumstances. Understood?”

“Yes sir.” Three voices chorused and Severus closed his eyes in resignation. He would have to deal with three brats for a week, a week! Worse even, he would most probably have to ‘keep’ one of them… That prospect left a bitter taste in his mouth.

*****

Shaun Petersen looked around him and smiled in satisfaction. The man – Snape – had left them to their own devices about an hour ago and Shaun had finally settled into a room that he felt suited him best.

The décor of the place was simply outstanding and the fact that they each received their own room was more than he had ever expected to have.

Thinking back on exactly how they had arrived at Mr Snape’s home, Shaun found himself considering all the possible implications.

He had known for years that he was different from other kids. Something strange always happened around him – which was the main reason his relatives had left him at the orphanage in the first place.

When Shaun had reached the age of six, the strange phenomena that always happened around him had reached a whole new level.

On his first day of the second term of school, his cousin Dudley had decided it would be lots of fun to chase his cousin around the school. Being smaller and faster than Dudley had helped him quite a bit, but, Dudley’s friends had soon joined in on the ‘fun’ and Shaun had had no choice but to think up something really quickly…

Thus, he had found himself on the school’s roof after wishing with all his might that he could be somewhere his cousin would never be able to get to him.

Of course, this stunt had landed him in a whole lot of trouble but the sense of freedom he had felt when he’d disappeared from the ground had stayed with him ever since.

That was also the same day he had found himself left on the steps of the orphanage.

His aunt and uncle had not even bothered to take him in and explain anything to the caretaker, no; they had just left him on the steps and driven off, never to see him again.

Shaun still wondered to this day if his aunt and uncle had ever told him the truth… When he had first been enrolled in the school, his aunt and uncle had had a debate as to what to call him. Before going to school, he had always been freak, boy or just ‘you!’. Starting school, he had learned that he was Shaun Petersen and that was that.

No one told him about his parents, whether they were alive or not. No one told him why he had always been ‘freak’ and ‘boy’, no, he was just to know that he would forevermore be known as Shaun Petersen and that any questions he might have would not be answered – except maybe with a slap to the face…

Shaun brought himself back from his gloomy thoughts and turned towards the magnificent bed. His life had just taken a drastic turn – hopefully for the better – and Shaun couldn’t wait to find out what would happen tomorrow.

*****

Severus locked up his private potions lab and silently made his way through his house. Quiet had descended on the place a while ago and Severus dearly hoped that it was because his three charges had gone to sleep and not some other sinister reason – like children plotting pranks…

Making his way through the hallways, Severus peaked into each bedroom and was relieved to find both Henry and Terry sound asleep. As he opened the door to Shaun’s room, Severus once again frowned in thought as he remembered the little brat.

The boy had absolutely nothing going for him, short, scrawny, way too thin to be healthy and with a bird’s nest for hair. What then had made him choose this little twerp?

Questions upon questions raged through his mind and Severus knew he could come no closer to any answer by just standing in a doorway, looking at a brat.

Shaking himself out of his thoughts and scolding himself thoroughly for even contemplating the idea to look deeper into this whole mess, Severus made his way over to his own rooms and settled in for what he hoped would be a good night’s sleep.

Chapter End Notes:
I’m typing this as I go along so no prior planning and plotting has taken place. Any ideas you might have will be welcome and appreciated!