Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Exhaustion

Autum 1988

Harry gazed tiredly at the blurry pages in front of him. He could barely make out the words but he needed to keep reading. One year after Severus had taken him in and he was finally getting to the interesting parts of his training. He was finally starting to learn the basics of Silvanimus' magic. While they were doing nothing but theory now, Severus had promised him they would start on the practices soon. Sighing he looked at his watch and groaned when he saw that it was already one o'clock. He still had a few pages to go before he finished reviewing what they had done that day. He felt tempted to stop and just go to bed but knew he would regret it tomorrow. The last year had been completely dedicated to his studies, Severus seemed to think they were working against the clock as it was which drove Harry to try and work even harder. But it was starting to catch up with him, his mind was not so sharp as it was a few months ago, and it took longer for him to memorise the theory Severus drilled into his brain. Since he didn't want to disappoint the man, he kept going until he was sure he would remember everything, that in turn meant he had to stay up late which didn't help with his tiredness.

It was a vicious cycle, and Harry didn't know how to break it. The words in front of him blurred once again. He was mentally exhausted but he told himself that he only had two more pages to go, then he would be able to go to sleep. Before he was even halfway through the first of the two pages, his eyes closed and refused to open again. Reassuring himself that he would just rest for a few minutes, he slumped so that his head leaned against the desk and relaxed into the embrace of sleep.

A few minutes later, Severus stepped out of the shadows, a deep frown etched on his face. It had been three days since Harry's professor had taken him aside for a talk.

Flashback

“Harry, can you wait for a moment, I need to speak with Mr. Snape briefly.”

By the surprised face of his apprentice, Severus knew that the boy was not in trouble. The child knew his rules very well and knew when he was breaking him. Wondering what this could be about, he tried to cast his mind over different scenarios, but found nothing wrong there. The boy's grades were excellent and as far as he knew he got on well with the other children in his class.

Once the woman had closed the door, she turned to him, a worried frown on her face. “What is wrong, Miss Moran?”

The woman hesitated for a moment, she was not really sure if she should broach the subject at all. “Is Harry having problems at home, Mr. Snape?”

Severus blinked, completely floored at the question. “Not that I know off, what makes you think he does?”

If someone else had dared to say something like that he would have flat out told them it was none of their business, but this woman had proven more than once that she cared about her students. And on top of that she seemed to be very intuitive. He couldn't in good conscience dismiss something that worried her to the point of bringing it up to him.

“Maybe it's not my place to say so, but Harry looks exhausted. I hadn't noticed myself until one of the other children had to nudge him awake during class today. That has never happened before.”

Severus turned to the closed door, there was a window there which allowed him a clear sight of the class. Harry was sitting there, reading quietly from a book. At first glance, he just looked like he always did, but for the first time in many months, Severus looked at him intently, comparing his face to the one he remembered from a year ago. It was fuller, a clear sign of the good nutrition he was allowed now, but instead of the healthy flush that should cover his checks there was only paleness. Except for the dark shadows under his eyes, which were the only colour that covered his face besides his eyes. The Silvanimus blinked but the sight remained the same. How he had failed to notice before that, he didn't know, but the child looked much frailer than he should.

“You're right, he does not look good at all.” Turning to the woman with a deep frown on his faces, he dipped his head slightly. “I had not noticed. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, once again I am in your debt.”

The woman flushed slightly. “It's nothing, Mr. Snape, it is just part of my job.”

The man snorted slightly. “And if everyone was as dedicated as you, the world would be a much better place.” Severus looked through the window once again. “Give me a couple of days to try and find out why the child is so tired. I might find it necessary to withdraw him from school for a few weeks so he has the chance to recuperate. Would that be a problem?”

Isabel shrugged slightly. “Harry is quite a smart child, if it's necessary I'll give you the work we'll be covering and you can make sure he completes at his own pace.”

Severus nodded and after reiterating his thanks he stepped into the room and called Harry to him. The child quickly gathered his things and went to him, a confused frown on his face.

“Am I in trouble?”

Severus gave him a small smile, hiding his concern at the pale face looking up at him. “No, child, of course not. Come on, we have things to do.”

End flashback

The first thing he had done when they had arrived home was to check the wards that surrounded the child's room. A small variation in the balance of the power the forest that was allowed into the room might explain Harry's exhaustion. But everything was in order, as he had really known it would. Those wards were extremely precise, he had spent nearly a year putting them in place and he fine-tuned them each month. After that, he just took to keep a discrete eye on the child. Once lessons were done for the day, he concealed himself and followed him to his room. He never entered the apprentice's rooms, as he felt that they should have a private space and part of Harry's duties was to keep that space clean, but he felt concerned enough to breach his own rule.

Then, night after night he watched as the boy worked himself to exhaustion, going over the work they had done that day again and again. He had assumed that the child spent the hours in his room relaxing, either playing with the few games and toys he had bought him or reading the novels he had provided. But a search for a aforementioned items revealed that they were mostly still in their original packages. So, this was not a new development but rather an ongoing problem. One which he hadn't noticed. Severus had observed that Harry was making much more progress than any of his apprentices before him, but he had attributed it to a very bright mind. His mother had been exceptional and his father, while loving pranks and causing trouble, never had much problem with his grades. He had assumed Harry would share their facility for his studies.

Looking down at the sleeping boy, Severus shook his head slightly. No, the boy was smart, but he had to admit, even if it was only to himself, that he had been much more demanding with this child than the other ones before him. He had seen his potential and Harry had not disappointed him. Severus realised that the few times Harry had not performed to his expectations he had been incredibly harsh, much harsher than he had the right to be. It was not surprising that Harry had preferred to work himself so hard in order to avoid angering him than to admit he just couldn't keep up any more.

With a deep sigh, he bent down and gathered the boy into his arms. He was disappointed in himself, he should have noticed there was something wrong. Severus shifted Harry until his heavy head was resting on his shoulder. Then, taking some pyjamas from the closet he left the room. As tired as he was, it would not do for the child to remain in the room. The forest would not doubt to try and take advantage of it.

Severus put the boy in the room next to his. It was smaller than the apprentices' room, but it had a connection to his own room which would make keeping an eye on him easier. Once he had tucked Harry into bed he remained standing in the room for a long moment. Tomorrow he would need to go to the school and warn Miss Moran that Harry would be taking a few days off. Looking down at the sleeping child, he shook his head slightly and though it may as well be a few weeks. The Silvanimus sighed and went to his own bed, tomorrow would be soon enough to try and correct the situation.

The next morning, Severus waited patiently for Harry to wake. He had taken a seat next to the child's bed and was reading one of his potions journals, checking from time to time that whether the child was still sleeping. Why lunch time came and Harry still gave no signs of waking up, Severus decided that he might best have a healer look over the child. He was obviously much more tired than he had expected and the healer might give him pointers as to how to deal with this problem properly. Heading towards the fireplace placed in his study, he hesitated for a moment, not sure who he should call. He could, of course, make a general call to St. Mungos so they would send someone, but he had to remember just who was lying in the bed upstairs. In the end he decided he was better safe than sorry and called onto Hogwarts' infirmary. Poppy's face appeared in midst of the fire, a surprised and concerned frown edged on her face.

“Severus, it's been quite a long time since we last talked. Are you unwell?”

The man shook his head. “Good afternoon, Poppy. I am feeling fine, but if you are not too busy I would appreciate it if you could step through and come check on my apprentice.”

The woman's eyebrow rose a bit at that piece of information. “I didn't know you had a new apprentice, you really should tell me those things in advance.”

Severus chuckled. “I'm surprised Albus didn't tell you.”

Poppy snorted slightly. “Please, Severus, the day that man tells anyone something on his own free will will be the day that hell freezes over.”

The Silvanimus rolled his eyes. “Indeed. Can you come?”

The nurse nodded her head slightly. “Give me a minute to gather my things and I'll be with you. Still living at the same house?”

Severus snorted slightly. “Of course, where else would I be? I'll keep the floo open for you.”

Ten minutes later, the nurse stepped into his office. she looked him over as soon as she had removed the shoot from her robes and frowned.

“You look like you didn't get much sleep last night.”

“I did.” At her incredulous glance he amended: “I tried at least.”

Poppy snorted. “If you say so. What's wrong with your apprentice?”

Severus sighed, leaning against his desk. “I was careless.”

The nurse shook her head. “That's not like you.”

The Silvanimus shrugged. “I'm afraid that in this instance I was. My apprentice is overworked, he is completely exhausted.”

In short sentences, he explained how he had come to realise there was something wrong and what he found out. The nurse nodded in understanding. “You will need to take things more calmly.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “Thank you for stating the obvious, I didn't bring you here so you could tell me that. What I wish to know is how to deal with the child until he is fine again.”

Poppy turned to the door. “Lets get a look at him first.”

Silently, the Silvanimus led the nurse to the room he had placed Harry in. The child was still sleeping peacefully unaware of the two adults looking down at him. Poppy stared down at the black haired head, narrowing her eyes, she bend over so she could brush the child's bangs away only to reveal a scar she would have recognised anywhere. She shot a look towards her old friend.

“Harry Potter is your apprentice?”

Her voice had come out shriller than she had meant making Severus hiss. “Shh, I would appreciate it if you didn't wake him. And yes, Harry is my assigned apprentice, that's why I was quite surprised Albus hadn't mentioned the fact.”

Poppy shook her head and returned her attention to the sleeping child. Taking out her wand, she started to run diagnosis charms on the slight form of the child lying in bed. As magic started to flow over the boy, he grew restless. Severus, who had been looking at his sleeping face intently, suddenly spoke up.

“Stop for a second Poppy.”

The woman looked at him startled, immediately stopping the flow of charms she had been muttering. Before she had the chance to ask what was wrong, the boy sat up straight up in bed, looking frantically around himself. Severus moved past the nurse and went to sit next to the child, placing a calming hand on his tense shoulder.

“Relax, Harry.”

His voice was soft and velvety, having put quite some magical strength behind it. Harry had come more proficient in ignoring his voice magic if he wished to but in this instance it worked at once relaxing the boy until he was once again lying down.

“Professor?”

Severus had to smile slightly at the small pout he could detect in the boy's voice while he helped him settle more comfortably into his pillows. “It's all right, child, why don't you try and go back to sleep?”

But Harry had noticed the woman watching them. “Who is she, sir?” After a short glance around the room he added: “This is not my room, why am I here?”

The Silvanimus rolled his eyes slightly. “This lady is Madam Pomfrey she is an old friend of mine. She is also a very talented healer and came to check you over at my request.”

Harry's eyes returned his gaze to his guardian. “I'm not ill, I feel ok.”

Severus raised a disbelieving eyebrow. “That is for Madam Pomfrey to determine. You may not be ill but you are exhausted.”

Harry's frown changed until it was clear he was upset. “I'm just a bit tired, sir, really, there is no need to fuss. A good night's sleep and I'll be fine.”

Severus pushed the child into the pillows as soon as he tried to get up. “I consider there is a need to fuss, so you are going to do what you're told, which right now implies letting Madam Pomfrey finish her examination.”

“But, what about school?”

The Silvanimus rolled his eyes slightly. “I've already called saying you're ill.”

“I'm not!”

Severus shook his head. “That's quite enough. Poppy, you can continue now.”

Harry pouted as Severus stood up from the bed and allowed the woman to come closer. For a brief moment he considered disobeying his guardian, but really there was no sense in trying to escape. If there was one thing he had learned about Severus was that when he decided that something was going to happen it would, no matter what Harry thought about it.

Twenty minutes later, Harry was blinking tiredly, fighting to remain awake as the nurse finally stepped away from his bed. He watched sleepily as she rummaged through her back before coming up with a bottle filled with a green coloured liquid and a spoon. She carefully measured a full dose with the spoon and approached him. A very stern glare from his guardian ensured that Harry didn't give into his need to slap the spoon away and instead took the mouthful of foul tasting potion. Severus watched in quiet amusement as Harry tried to fight the effects of the sleeping potion, the child obviously wanted to prove that he wasn't as tired as Severus thought. The older man bend over and gently covered his charge's eyes with his hand sending a small push of magic into the child.

“Not fair.”

Snape laughed softly at the soft whine as Harry finally slipped under the effects of the potion. Poppy had been looking at his actions and couldn't help but smile. It was always refreshing to see the older man's behaviour around his apprentices.

“You have got a fighter there, Severus.”

The older man straightened and shot her a small glare filled with irony. “There is no need to tell me that, I know it damn well.” Seeing she had already packed her bag, he nodded towards the door. “Shall I get us some tea? I don't think Harry is going to wake any time soon.”

Despite his words, he put a few monitoring charms around the bed that would alert him as soon as Harry woke up.

Once they had settled into the living room with a hot cup of tea, Severus started to question the nurse.

“So? What's your diagnostic?”

Poppy looked at him a bit amused. “You're treating it as if he was severely ill. He's fine, he just needs a break. Did you go on any trip during the summer holiday?”

Severus massaged his brow with a frown. “No, we used it to get a jump on his studies.”

The nurse glared slightly at him. “The holidays are there for a reason, Severus. While I agree with most parents that they are awfully long you need to take at least a break, and not only for the child's health but also your own.”

The man sighed. “Yes, of course, you're right. So, what do I do? Send him back to school?”

The nurse shook her head slightly. “Let him sleep as much as he wants to for the next few days, once he knows that he has a small break his body will probably catch up and he will be even more tired than he is now. Let him rest. I think a small trip might be in order, a change of scenario so to speak. The weather is not too bad yet, I'm sure you could find somewhere to spend a few days with the boy.”

Severus sighed. “Ok, so, somewhere peaceful.”

Poppy shot him an amused glance. “Not too peaceful, he is a small boy, take him somewhere were he is allowed to be wild, to just play and be a child for a change.”

The older man nodded, an idea starting to form in his head. “Very well, I think I know the perfect place. Will he be all right otherwise?”

The nurse sipped her tea and nodded. “He'll be fine, as long as you slow down a bit, I know you love to teach your apprentices and that you want them to be the best they can, but it's not going to help if they are overworked.”

Severus nodded. “I know Poppy, I know.”

Harry woke late that same evening to Severus gently shaking his shoulder. Blinking, the boy sat up and rubbed his eyes. He had not felt so rested in a long while and still he felt like he could have kept on sleeping for some time longer, but his guardian had other ideas.

“Harry.”

When the boy's eyes finally focused on him, Severus motioned to the tray he had brought up. There was a plate of salad and some chicken. “You've not eaten since yesterday, you must be hungry.”

Harry suddenly noticed the small ache in his stomach and nodded, eyeing the tray with a frown.

“I could have come downstairs, I'm fine.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “Considering you're going back to sleep as soon as you're done eating I thought it would be a waste of time to make you come down.”

Harry frowned as the tray was placed on his lap. “I don't want to go back to sleep, I'm not tired.”

Severus shrugged but didn't reply, knowing that the boy would be asleep again in less than an hour, if not by choice then because of the potion he had slipped into his milk. The Silvanimus watched as his charge ate hungrily, ignoring the irritated looks that he kept sending his way.

Finally, Harry seemed to grow tired of his incessant stare. “Don't you have anything else to do besides watching me eat?”

Severus snorted and stood up. “Not really, no, but if it unnerves you I'll go to my study for a while.” Then, as if in an afterthought, he added. “I catch you out of that bed and you'll be in a lot of trouble. Understood?”

Harry's glare intensified. “But I'm fine!”

“So you keep saying, but I think you need more sleep and Madam Pomfrey agrees with me, so do yourself a favour and just go to sleep after you finish eating.”

Harry crossed his arms over his chest. “Or else what?”

Severus' glare became frosty. “Else I'll force feed you a potion and when you're well again I'll take you over my knee for a sound spanking. Now eat that up and cease this temper tantrum, you're just proving my point that you're over tired since normally you would know better than to carry on so.”

Harry was very tempted to throw his bread at the man's back, but common sense won over his anger. It was not often that Severus threatened to spank him and thus far he had only been over the man's knee twice. Not an experience he cared to repeat any time soon as Severus had a very hard hand and was convinced a sound spanking could teach more lessons than even a lecture, specially when Harry was not in the mood for listening to the man prattle on. Telling him just that had been what had earned him his first spanking, not a very smart thing to do, Harry thought in retrospect.

With a deep sigh, the boy turned to his food and cleaned up the plate. Once he was done, he placed the tray on the floor next to the bed and laid back in bed, eyes wide open. He was going to show Severus that he was not tired.

When the older Silvanimus entered the room twenty minutes later he found an empty tray and a deeply sleeping child. Once he had tucked the boy firmly in bed he left, he had a few letters to send.