Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

The fine rash blossomed across Rys’ torso late the next evening, just as Phillip Mays had predicted it would and Severus had a potion ready to use.  Rys had been subdued in the interim, the fever finally breaking just before the rash appeared.  Severus wasn’t sure whether the boy still felt ill or was fearful that he’d caused too much trouble, but whichever it might be, he seemed content to allow Severus to minister to him.   His son leaned against him as Severus rubbed potion onto his chest.

“Daddy?”

“Yes, sweet boy?” Severus suppressed a smile as the toddler extended an arm next for attention.

“Rys sweep wit’ Daddy?”

Severus didn’t look into the brilliant eyes, knowing they would implore him with the look he was finding he had trouble refusing.  “May I sleep with you, Daddy?”

“May I sweep wit’ you, Daddy?”  Rys repeated obediently, his voice muffled as he leaned across Severus’ lap to present his back.  

Severus didn’t even try to curb the smile.  Perhaps his son was just still feeling his illness and had enough faith in Severus to know he wasn’t in trouble for being sick.  The thought of what Petunia Evans…Dursley would have done to the boy if he had gotten sick flashed through his mind - a raw image of a helpless, sick baby, soiled and uncared for - and rage surged in Severus’ chest.  Rys encircled his thigh with his arms, hugging it as Severus continued to coat the thin back with potion and struggled to contain his anger.  There wasn’t anything he could do about those horrid eight months but hope that they became a forgotten dark memory for his son. 

“Perhaps you should attempt to sleep in your own bed first, Rys, and if you wake in the night, then may come into mine.”

A noise from the kitchen made both of them jump, but Severus didn’t stop his ministration, knowing it was simply Masly puttering about.  The house elf had appeared this afternoon and promptly announced he was to stay and serve his new masters.  Severus had been too weary to argue, relieved to be able to leave his son safely in someone’s care so that he could double-check the wards on the house.  He’d shutdown and warded the Floo after Phillip Mays left that morning, but Severus knew if their location had been compromised, a warded Floo would be little protection against Albus Dumbledore’s magic.

The Headmaster’s continued silence had Severus worried.  Knowing the man’s methods, he would expect Dumbledore to make the attempt to locate the Dursleys and question them, but he also knew it was likely Lucius Malfoy had Obliviated them before sending them away.  Ministry connections could be utilized to trace the documents he had submitted, but doing so would bring out the truth of what had happened to the Boy Who Lived and undermine Dumbledore’s standing in the wizarding community.

The allegation that Severus had broken his Vow or the Wizard’s Oath he had made to Lily still stung.  Severus had promised Lily that he would protect their son at any cost, even that of his own life.  Dumbledore’s Unbreakable Vow had Severus vowing to protect Harry Potter with his life.  Breaking that Vow would be impossible and would kill him if he tried, and breaking a Wizard’s Oath would strip him of his magic – neither of which had happened.    He was guilty of defying Albus Dumbledore’s directive, Severus acknowledged, by going to check on his son, but that had not been part of the Vow he’d sworn.   

“Master Severus, would you be wanting Masly to carry young Master to bed?”

Too tired now to be startled, Severus glanced down to see that the boy had fallen asleep across his lap as Severus had been lost in thought.  Easing Rys up, Severus slipped his arms around his son and stood.

“If you would pull the bedding down, Masly, I will settle him and then go to bed myself.  You may retire as well.”

The elderly house-elf bobbed his head in agreement, but as Severus was beginning to learn, chose not to speak.  It took little time to straighten Rys' pajamas and tuck him into bed.  Severus spelled one taper in a wall sconce to burn low, softly lighting the head of the bed where the boy laid curled around his soft toy.  Leaning down, Severus brushed his lips on the small, thankfully cool forehead to kiss Rys good night.  When he stood up, Severus made his way to his own bedroom, barely noticing that Masly had changed his bedding and cleaned the room.  Stopping only to strip down to his pants, Severus fell into bed and was instantly asleep.


“Daddy?”

Severus hated the timidity that still resonated in his son’s voice, loathed the fear that the filthy Muggles had instilled in his boy, the fear he was still trying to assuage.  Each time Rys gathered himself to ask for anything, his body tensed as if ready to flinch away from a blow that might be struck. It was a step forward; Severus reasoned to himself, that the boy was able to ask at all.

“Yes, Rys?”

“Go outside, Daddy?” 

The brilliant eyes watched as Severus opened his mouth to automatically correct him and Rys hurried to interject.  “Pwease, can we go outside, Daddy?” 

A smile curved that small mouth, an increasingly frequent sight and Severus couldn’t help but smile back thankfully.  He looked up to see the sun through the window of the kitchen where they were eating their lunch.  The fog had cleared and sunshine illuminated the tall grass in the field across from the house.  There was no sign of the commotion that had erupted yesterday at the top of the cliffs, just visible through the fog, thankfully.  Beachy Head was known as an area that drew the despondent intent on leaping from its heights and Severus was sure many restless spirits inhabited the area around the cliffs.  Perhaps the residual magic of those poor souls could actually help mask the magic surrounding the farmhouse.

"Perhaps a walk would be in order."  Severus agreed and was pleased as Rys' face lit up.

It was warm in the afternoon sunshine and Severus allowed Rys to dress in his shorts and shirt, keeping a jumper in hand in the event that the fog returned during their sojourn.  Rys stayed close to his side as they walked down the dirt lane towards the only gate in the tall fence made of wood and rock.  Quietly pointing out various examples of the local flora and their practical applications in potions, Severus was startled by the small hand that slipped into his as they walked.  It was a trusting gesture, one that no one but Lily had ever shown him.  Severus knew that his son had never had reason to trust since Lily and Potter had died, but was giving him that gift.  He squeezed the hand gently before continuing his dissertation.

Out of the corner of his eye, Severus caught sight of a moving speck at the far tree line.  It moved steadily towards them, but he wasn't worried as the wards repelled any incoming post owls.  Looking down, Severus noticed that Rys was skipping to keep up with his longer strides and immediately slowed his pace.

"Are you still feeling all right, sweet boy?"

"Yes, Daddy."

The reply wasn't stilted, but it seemed a bit forced for the child, and Severus opened his mouth to speak when the sound of great wings reached his ears.  Spinning, and lifting Rys into his arms, Severus curled his body around his son as he prepared to sprint back to the farmhouse, only to freeze as Rys tried to climb over his shoulder.

"Daddy, warm bird!"

Turning slowly, Severus felt his breath leave him as he watched Dumbledore's phoenix slowly circling above them.  It wasn't unexpected, he reflected wryly, but if the old man thought Severus would allow his child to be taken from him, Dumbledore was sadly mistaken.  Readjusting his hold on the toddler, Severus wrapped a hand firmly around Rys thigh, so that no Portkey or Apparation spell could whisk him away.  Rys squirmed in his arms, trying to reach out toward the magical creature as if compelled to do so.

"Rys! Stop it!"  Severus snapped, fear making his voice sharper than he'd wanted and his son instantly cringed.

Cradling Rys tight against his chest, Severus beckoned the phoenix closer.  "I had thought you understood, Fawkes.  I must protect my son at all costs."

The creature's great eyes blinked slowly as it hovered at shoulder height and Fawkes began to trill softly.  The phoenix song seemed to relax the stiff little body in his arms and Severus was thankful that despite Rys' reaction to his tone he'd not tried to pull away.  Feeling himself relax slightly under the magically soothing sound, Severus knew he could not afford to let down his guard.  He eyed the great scarlet avian, remembering this creature could have compromised their safety once before, and had not given away their secret. 

A scroll of parchment was slowly extended towards him, almost if the intelligence in those eyes understood Severus' wariness.   A small hand reached out again, although hesitantly, as if desperate to touch the warm feathers while the phoenix continued to hover, huge wings flapping just enough to keep Fawkes suspended in front of him.  Taking a step closer, Severus gingerly touched the parchment scroll, before pulling back quickly.  Phoenix song continued to reverberate around them and Rys relaxed in his arms as Severus reached out again to take the scroll, then leaned close enough to let his son's fingers brush against the red-gold plumage.

The phoenix stretched his neck, butting against the tiny fingers like a cat wanting to be petted.  Delighted green eyes sought his approval and Severus, keeping one arm wrapped firmly around the boy, nodded.  Shifting the scroll to his other hand, Severus awkwardly retrieved his wand and cast several revealing spells over the parchment.  It was free of enchantments, with the exception of Albus Dumbledore's magical signature.   Severus nodded with grim satisfaction; the Headmaster knew what a suspicious git he was.

Severus,

It appears that you have managed to inspire great loyalty in those people you have chosen to take into your confidence, no matter the personal jeopardy in which this puts them or their families.  I am pleased and amazed, given the pattern of choices you have made in your young life thus far.

Severus' breath caught in his throat at the implications and the veiled threat.

Rest assured that I have allowed no harm, implied or from other quarters, to come to your friends despite their less than helpful attitudes.  The Ministry has been forced to acknowledge, through thorough documentation and Pensieve testimony, the paternity of the child in your custody.  Harry James Snape will legally remain in your custody, Severus, you have secured that much. That being said, I must remind you of your Oath to Lily and myself to keep the boy safe, and I can't fathom that would entail taking him away from everyone who cares for him.

Severus snorted bitterly.  The manipulative bastard must not have been able to find the Dursleys and had figured out appeasing him was the only way of keeping some manner of control over the boy.

I now realize that perhaps I should have heeded your concerns about Petunia, but the blood wards were to keep Harry safe from those who would harm him from without. It did not make sense to believe the danger would be from within and doesn't do to dwell on the unfortunate circumstances of the past. In tomorrow's Daily Prophet, Horace Slughorn's retirement will be announced, as will your appointment as Professor of Potions and Head of Slytherin House.  The Head of House appointment will require your moving back into Hogwarts.  The castle is at this time rearranging rooms between the Slytherin common room and your classroom.  Appropriate arrangements will be made for the care of the boy while you are teaching. You must remember that Harry is the child of prophecy, Severus, and has a destiny to fulfill, as we both know that the reign of terror created by Lord Voldemort has only been temporarily stilled. 

I await your return, my boy.

With a scowl, Severus let the parchment roll back up, dark thoughts directed at the man who had 'redeemed' Severus after he'd reported half of that vague prophecy to the Dark Lord.  It wouldn't have surprised Severus to learn that Dumbledore might have somehow influenced which boy the Dark Lord targeted as being the one in the prophecy he'd overhead.  If he ever found any proof of that suspicion…

"Look, Daddy!"  Rys fairly bounced in his arms, a small feather from the phoenix's crest clutched in his fingers. 

Slipping the scroll into his pocket, Severus brought his free hand up to gently cup his son's.  The deep red feather was about the size of his little finger and the edges seemed to be brushed with glittering gold.  Severus could feel the warmth of the plum seeping through his skin and glanced at the magical creature still lazily hovering beside them, still softly singing phoenix song.

"It would seem that Fawkes has gifted you with a symbol of loyalty and honesty, Rys, which is a great honor.  You will need to take special care never to lose this feather or the Phoenix might lose faith in you."

"T'ank you, Fawkes," his son said solemnly, then giggled as the bird moved to butt its head against Rys gently.

Severus watched with fascination as Fawkes seemed to rub his eye against the jagged scar on Rys' forehead briefly, before rising slowly away from them.  Fawkes allowed his singing to fade away as the ancient eyes bore into Severus', trying to convey a sense of safety and security to him, to reassure him that Fawkes meant no harm to either of them.  Severus could only nod, hoping he had interrupted the message correctly.  With a farewell burst of Phoenix song, the magical bird lifted above their heads and disappeared in a burst of golden flame.

"Oh!" Rys gasped, holding tightly to Severus, his eyes wide. 

"I think he has taken a liking to you, sweet boy," Severus said quietly, his eyes lingering on the spot where the phoenix was last visible, hoping Fawkes' approval was a good omen.


Two mornings later, Severus lay in bed watching the gray light of dawn creep across the floor.   The light had that watery quality to it that told Severus the fog layer had returned this morning.  Rys lay curled beside him, a nightmare having sent the frightened toddler scurrying silently into his father's room.   Unable to resist, Severus carefully brushed the soft hair back from his son's forehead and exposed the ugly scar, lightly tracing the puckered surface.  It was almost as if he could feel the Dark magic radiating from the slightly warmer flesh of the scar. 

Frowning, Severus bent down for a closer examination, pressing slightly against the marred skin.  Rys hissed, pressing his head deeper into the pillow in an attempt to get away.  Severus ran his hand down the boy's back and he stilled, slipping back into sleep.  Grimly, Severus made a mental note to have Phillip Mays look at the scar and see what he thought as soon as possible. 

With great reluctance, Severus slid out of bed, shivering slightly in the cool air.  He hurried through his morning ablutions and dressed in his brewing robes.  Rys still seemed frail to him, most probably simply the boy's thinness, but Severus didn't want to take any chance on him falling ill again.  Tucked up in his warm corner of Severus' lab would be best place for the child on this foggy, cool day.   Perhaps porridge would be a good, warm way to start the day, Severus thought as he made his way downstairs.

Masly gave an irritated sniff when Severus insisted on cooking breakfast, but relented enough to let the house-elf serve them.  Rys seemed sleepy when he came down to the kitchen already dressed in his favorite black shorts and ate in silence.  Severus reached over to lay his hand on the boy's forehead, but it felt fine.  The fear of illness was a new one for Severus, but he certainly didn't want to go through another incident like the first.  His son looked up with a lopsided smile and went back to spooning porridge into his mouth.  Severus found himself smiling back.

The first disruption in the wards came as Severus was opening up his lab, a deep resounding gong that reverberated throughout the old farmhouse.  It wasn't unexpected, not after Severus had banished the scraggily rat after that had run across the flower garden in front of them yesterday.  He had known the minute he'd used his magic to send the mangy thing to the woods behind the house and outside the wards, that his magical signature had been exposed.  Even if the Floo had not been traceable, it would have led anyone watching for him to the general area.  Severus also knew that he still didn't trust Albus Dumbledore enough to meet him with Rys beside him and potentially vulnerable.

"Rys!  I need you to come here, now!" 

Urgency made his voice harsh, and his son ran in from the kitchen with a fearful look on his face, his soft toy clutched to his chest and his Phoenix feather in his hand.  Gesturing with his hand, Severus was relieved when Rys scooted to sit down in the corner Severus had fortified and prepared for any possibility.  Masly had left to take the carefully worded letter to Bernard and the Mays, confirming what Dumbledore's missive had indicated. 

Stopping long enough to press a kiss to the top of the boy's head, Severus stepped to the door.  "Please, my sweet boy, do not come out until I come for you."

Sealing the door behind him, Severus cleared the kitchen with a wave of his wand before walking through the sitting room to the front.  Wand still in his hand, robes buttoned against the dampness, Severus stepped out the door and positioned himself on the pathway.  He could almost feel the ripples in the wards as they were dismantled in sections and he braced himself for the burst of flamboyant color to come into sight.  Wand at ready, Severus stood at ready.

Severus was not prepared for the sight of the white-blond hair and immaculate black robes of Lucius Malfoy seemingly parted the fog with his cane.      

"Ah, Severus, old friend," The pureblood wizard stopped when he caught sight of Severus.  "I find myself saddened at this turn of events."

The cultured voice was even, but laced with dry sarcasm and Severus allowed the neutral mask of his spying days to slide over his features.  "Sullying your hands, Lucius?  I thought you had Ministry minions to do that for you."

The hands clad in the finest leather curled tightly at each end of the serpent-headed cane and the aristocrat curled his lip.  "I had thought you brilliant when you convinced that old fool Dumbledore to testify on your behalf in front of the Wizengamot, had believed you were going to bide your time until our Lord could be resurrected into a new body… and then you steal the boy right out from under the Muggle-loving fool's nose with a brilliant move.  You seemed to be ahead of me at every turn, Severus, and I had applauded your Slytherin cunning, until my contacts inside the Ministry informed me that you were actually the father of the Boy Who Lived."

Severus felt his back straighten and his shoulders square proudly as Malfoy's tone slipped into disgust.

 "A Mudblood, Severus?  How low did you have to sink to crawl to Dumbledore for protection and claim your bastard?"

"It is even lower than you can fathom, Lucius – Dumbledore told the truth to the Wizengamot and I loved that woman."  Severus tensed for the response.

He didn't have to wait long as Malfoy burst into motion as the words sank in.  Severus twirled and lunged to one side as a hex brushed past his shoulder.  Spinning and coming up sharply, Severus began by casting a shielding charm even as he sent a volley of stunners at the his former collogue.  For the next several minutes both men were a blur of motion as they dueled across the fog-shrouded pathway.   Lucius had been tutored in the Dark Arts by his father, one of the Dark Lord's original followers, and he had even taken lessons from the powerful wizard himself.  He had a repertoire of hexes and spells that would make short work of most average wizards.

Luckily, Severus was a gifted wizard in his own right, proving that with fierce determination while he renewed his weakened shield as his slashing hex drew blood.  His eyes never left the flamboyant wand hand of his former house-mate, having learned over the years that Lucius Malfoy had a showy dueling style.  That, along with the spell light as his opponent cast his hexes, allowed Severus to anticipate and block most of them, but Malfoy was powerful, his magic tainted with Darkness. 

A searing pain exploded along his left forearm and Severus lost his concentration, his shield collapsing as he spun away from a blasting curse.  The hex caught his left shoulder, throwing him to the ground.  Panting, he lurched to his feet, only to find himself facing Lucius Malfoy's wand-tip and arrogant smirk.  

"Never attempt to duel with your betters, Severus," Malfoy sneered, drawing back his wand. "As you will always lose, but it's a mute point now, as I will be leaving both you and that abnormality you call a son dead when I leave this place." 

Severus held his wand loosely with its tip down, as his mind raced and his lungs struggled to pull in air against the pain.  Suddenly, Severus felt a surge of magical power race through him and knew instantly that Rys was pushing magic through their bond, as the blonde wizard started a familiar wand movement.

 "Avada Ked…" 

Severus spun to the right and dove to the ground, his wand-tip snapping up.  He could feel the flow of magic tingle his fingertips as he cast his spells.   

"Stupify! Petrificus Totalus!"

Lucius Malfoy dropped to the ground, the look of shocked surprise frozen across the arrogant features.  Severus took as deep a breath as he was able to and stood up slowly.  He stood next to the frozen wizard and without a qualm, kicked him hard in the ribs.

"My son is the reason you are laying on your arse in the dirt and weeds, Lucius - the mere son of a Mudblood and a Half-blood.  It is a pity that I can't allow you to keep the memory of this humiliation or to kill you now, as you intended to kill both of us, but there would be too many questions asked.  So instead, I'll leave you with a mysterious bruise and the vague notion that tangling with a Snape is a bad idea."    

Severus smiled dangerously, delighted when the blond's eyes widened with fear. 

"Obliviate!"

The cold gray eyes lost their focus momentarily and Severus immediately cast a sleeping charm on the prone figure. 

"Masly!"

The house-elf appeared at his side with soft pop.  "Master Snape?"

"Is my son all right?"  Severus asked and was relieved when the diminutive creature gave a jerky nod, protruding eyes locked on the prone form. 

"I would like you to take and deposit this," Severus curled his lip, "piece of filth in Knockturn Alley and dump him discreetly.  I would then like you to advise your master that I will be Fire-calling him in half an hour, please."

Masly bowed deep.  "As you wish, Master Snape."  

 Pressing a finger to the finely cut robes of the blond wizard with what appeared to Severus to be a grimace of distaste, the house-elf disappeared with another pop.  Ignoring the pain throbbing throughout his arm and shoulder, Severus made his way back into the house, carefully securing the door with wards as strong as the residual combined magic would allow.  Severus refused to take any further chances on the safety of his son, he thought grimly, and if Lucius Malfoy could find him then Albus Dumbledore knew exactly where they were.

Easing open the door to the lab, Severus braced himself for the impact of a small body, but it didn't come.  He found Rys huddled in his corner, face tear stained and his soft toy crushed against his chest.  The expressive eyes were round with fear and Severus' heart clenched, not able to tell if his son was afraid of what had happened or the way Severus would react to it.  Holding his left arm tightly to his body, Severus knelt down in front of the toddler.

"Thank you, sweet boy, for helping me," Severus said softly, extending his right hand towards Rys.

The boy dropped his toy and crawled the short distance separating them, carefully pulling himself up on Severus' uninjured arm.  His arms circled Severus' neck, clinging with silent desperation.  Putting his wand away, Severus slid his arm around his son and hugged him tightly, despite the flare of pain.

"Bad man hurt Daddy."  Rys whispered into the neck of his brewing robes, loosening his grip.

"I believe I will survive," Severus assured the boy as he stood, staggering slightly, before settling the boy on his hip.

Summoning the soft toy, Severus moved to one of the neatly ordered shelves.  "Rys, can you reach over and pick up the blue jar on the shelf in front of us?"

Looking at where Severus pointed, Rys reached hesitantly toward the correct vial.

"Yes, that's it," Severus assured him.  "Hold it carefully now."

The tiny fingers wrapped around the blue crystalline vial and Rys carefully lifted it down, bringing it in to cradle against his chest.  With a nod, Severus gritted his teeth against the pain and carried his son through to the sitting room.  Remembering to unward the Floo, Severus carefully sat on the couch and settled Rys to the side with the admonishment not to move as he turned slightly away.  Gingerly unbuttoning his robes, Severus peeled them back as carefully as he could; trying to shield Rys' from what he was sure would be raw, seared skin.  Hissing out a breath, he managed to pull the cloth back from his shoulder and get his garments down past his bicep before the pain made him pause. 

Swallowing a groan, Severus closed his eyes against the pain.  The couch shifted beside him as Rys moved, but Severus ignored it until he felt the small fingers working the buttons at the cuff of his shirt.   Opening his eyes to deliver a biting retort for the boy's disobedience, it lodged on the tip of his tongue as the sight of the small face screwed up in concentration as Rys carefully worked to unfasten his sleeve. 

His son looked up triumphantly as the cuff loosened.  "Rys help Daddy."

The boy's voice was earnest and quiet, and Severus swallowed anything he might have been tempted to say, reaching out with his right hand to stroke the soft hair.  Between them, they were able to get Severus' robes and shirt off, the ugly hex-trail revealed across the top of his shoulder.  Rys retrieved the vial that he'd set aside and held it tightly as Severus removed the top.  Applying it gingerly to the burned skin, Severus sighed in relief as the pain ebbed slowly.  Rys watched silently as Severus finally leaned back.

"Severus Snape!" 

Bernard McBride's voice boomed through the room, making Severus start and Rys jump in fear.  Severus managed to grab the boy's arm before he could flee.

"It is my friend, Mr. McBride," Severus explained as his shoulder throbbed anew.  "Will you go to the fireplace and tell him to come through, please?"

With a hesitant nod, Rys trotted to the hearth, squatting down to peer into the green flames.

"Daddy 'ted come here," Rys said and Severus had to smile at the boy's careful enunciation.

"Rys!  Step back, son, I'm coming through."

His son scrambled back to his side, and Severus realized that he'd not shown Rys how the Floo worked as the green eyes widened in surprise when Bernard stepped through the flames. 

"Sweet Merlin, Severus!"  His friend swore softly as he stepped closer to the couch.  "Are you sure that Malfoy got the worst of this?"

Severus couldn't help snorting.  "I'm not the one lying in an alley in Knockturn, now am I?"

Bernard shook his head as he sat on the low table in front of Severus.  "Maybe not, but you haven't looked this bad since that encounter…" his eyes shifted towards Rys as he knelt next to his father, carefully spreading the healing potion on a smaller burn patch on Severus' bicep, "in your student years."  

Severus looked down at the top of his son's bowed head, and the random thought of how like Lily this child was flashed through his mind.  "Speaking of students, Bernard…"

"Ah, yes, I believe congratulations are in order for your recent appointment, Professor."

There was a definite smirk in his friend's voice and Severus rebuked him immediately.  "You do wish to continue profiting from our friendship, Mr. McBride?"

The boy looked up at him as he heard the bite in Severus' voice and Bernard was almost successful in smothering the idiotic grin that kept attempting to emerge.  Fingers itched to wipe the mirth off the other man's face, but Severus knew Bernard didn't mean to be snide; it was just a sore subject for Severus at the moment.  Rys put his hand back on his injured arm and Severus reached across to smooth the hair back from the child's face.

"Don't worry, sweet boy, Mr. McBride is just being a prat."  Severus narrowed his eyes at his solicitor.  "I need a Heritage Amulet, Bernard, before I take Rys to meet with Albus Dumbledore, one with protective runes and a locator spell woven into it.  A ring or a bracelet, I am thinking, and the older the better."

It was Bernard's turn to frown.  "You can't be contemplating taking your son back to Hogwarts with you, Severus!  That's just what the old bast - fool wants!"

Severus met his friend's eyes.  "Rys, please show Mr. McBride the gift that Fawkes gave you."

Almost dropping the blue vial in his haste to do as his father asked, Rys turned and carefully slid the small scarlet feather out of the special pocket Severus had made for him.  Severus smirked as Bernard blinked at the small splash of color and reached out to touch it gingerly.  Rys gave him a tentative smile as he settled back down on the couch, and leaned against Severus' chest, stroking a finger over the feather.

"Albus Dumbledore's familiar gave Rys a crest feather?"  Bernard asked incredulously.

There was an undertone of wonder in the solicitor's voice and Severus nodded, wincing as his son's head lay at the edge of the burned skin. "Yes, when he brought the Headmaster's last message."

Bernard leaned forward and took the vial from his hand, re-stoppering it before setting it aside.  "Perhaps, then, the castle will also extend its protection as well, Severus, making it truly the safest place for both of you, regardless of the amulet."

Severus slowly manipulated his left shoulder, trying to judge the residual damage as Bernard's words sank in.  Rys leaned further across his lap, careful to stay out of the way as he put the feather away.  Finding that the skin seemed to have healed well enough and a pain-relieving potion would probably take care of the residual ache, Severus shifted Rys as he tried to put his shirt back on. 

"It sounds like you are suggesting the castle is a sentient being, Bernard."

His friend reached over and picked up his shirtsleeve, helping to guide Severus' arm back into his clothing.  "Not like a conscious awareness, Severus, more like a life-force, an emotional awareness of its surrounding as well as its occupants."  Bernard searched his face intently.  "Ask Masly or any other house-elf sometime, Severus, why it is that they serve witches and wizards when their own magic is as powerful.  You didn't really think that all those house-elves in the castle were there simply to cook and clean for the students, did you?  They also care for Hogwarts herself, and if Hogwarts chooses to protect your little one, the house-elves will do the same."    

Hogwarts itself could choose to protect his son?  Severus frowned, stilling the now squirming boy with a hand on his shoulder before silently Summoning the letter he'd received from Albus Dumbledore.  Handing it to Bernard, Severus laid his wrist in his son's lap, allowing Rys to help button up his cuff, amazed at the gleeful response it provoked from the boy.  The adrenaline from discovering Lucius Malfoy in his front yard had run through his system and Severus felt suddenly weary.  He had known that it wouldn't be easy when he'd made the decision to raise his son, but he'd hoped to avoid this type of difficulty until the boy was older and better able to protect himself.   Even as magically strong as he was at two years old, Rys was still just a toddler, and one that had been subjected to a level of abuse that could have left permanent scaring. 

" ' The Head of House appointment will require your moving back into Hogwarts.  The castle is at this time rearranging rooms between the Slytherin common room and your classroom.' " Bernard read aloud from the parchment, before looking up at Severus.  "That sounds fairly definite to me, Severus, although I'm not sure that Dumbledore realizes why the castle is being so accommodating."

Severus nodded, keeping his injured arm looped loosely around his son.  "Could you please do two things for me, Bernard?  The first is to find a Heritage Amulet and the second is to set up an appointment with Albus Dumbledore."      

His old friend nodded his head slowly, and Severus could feel the intensity of the scrutiny he was being subjected too.

"It's not like you to resign yourself to any fate, Severus…"

"I'm not resigning myself to anything!" Severus snapped, his arm tightening as he felt Rys jump.  He took a calming breath.  "I'm simply attempting to provide the best protection I can for both of us, with the least amount of interference from all quarters.  The last thing I need is the Ministry getting involved, which is what Dumbledore will instigate should I take the boy and disappear.  If I can be assured that he is safest there from the likes of Lucius Malfoy and the other rabid followers of the Dark Lord, than I can put up with Albus Dumbledore's attempts at manipulation and remain at Hogwarts.  Rys needs time to grow and heal, Bernard, and I will do anything I must to make sure he has that time!"

The solicitor gave into the grin that Severus suspected he had been hiding and narrowed his eyes at being deliberately provoked.  "Very well, I will be off to do your bidding, my friend.  I simply wanted to make sure that you were set on whichever course you were going to take."

Bernard stood up and brushed off the seat of his trousers as he moved to stand in front of the fireplace.  With a nod and a tiny wave at Rys, the solicitor Flooed back to his office, leaving Severus with his son and his thoughts. 

The boy was playing with his soft toy silently within the circle of Severus' arm, and he found himself giving into the temptation to kiss the top of the child's head just to see the brilliant smile Rys responded with.  The responsibility of keeping Lily's son safe and healthy sat squarely on his shoulders and Severus could only hope to meet the challenges that entailed.