Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Please remember this is a WIP and will be updated when real life allows. Thank you for reading!
Chapter 7

Severus surveyed the large classroom with satisfaction. With the assistance of Altor and Masly, the room had been cleaned of many years of residual soot and potions effluence that clung to the stone floor and walls. Slughorn hadn't allowed the house-elves into his domain to clean up the spills and splatters of his students, believing that assigned detentions were sufficient to keep up with the grime. It wasn't, and Severus was not going to allow his son in a room as filthy as this had been. He needed to remember to leave out another box of the Honeydukes chocolates that Rys had discovered the house-elves loved.

His stomach rumbled and Severus realized it had to be mid-afternoon. Setting the damp cleaning rag aside, Severus straightened the stack of lesson plans on his desk and picked up his outer robe from where he had draped it over the chair. Moving through the door that led to his office, Severus continued down the short corridor to his rooms. Plucking an apple from the bowl on the table, Severus hurriedly ate it as he collected a clean set of robes for his son. He'd learnt that, when left to their own devices, Rys would get every bit as dirty as Kyler when they played.

Flooing through to the cottage, Severus spelled the soot off his and Rys' robes before walking into the kitchen. A sandwich and a mug of tea sat on the table and a grumpy-looking Masly stood in front of the backdoor. With a roll of his eyes, Severus paused long enough to devour the food under the house-elf's watchful gaze.

Drinking down the perfectly prepared tea, Severus took the time to ponder the rest of the day. He was due to take Rys to meet Phillip May at St. Mungo's later for an in-depth examination, particularly of the curse scar on the toddler's forehead. Both Severus and Phillip believed there had to be a reason that the level of Dark Magic residue was so high in the scar. Severus was well aware of the Dark Lord’s focus a year ago, and shuddered at the thought that the evil wizard had manipulated the Killing Curse in some way that left some kind of residual darkness in his son's scar.

After the whirlwind trip into London, Severus was then taking Rys to Hogwarts to spend their first night in the castle. That included the very first dinner in the Great Hall, with the other members of the teaching staff. Altor's warning continued to plague Severus and he knew that somehow he had to find out who on the staff would hurt his son. Until Severus had some indication of whom he could trust, he had to suspect that everyone was capable of putting the toddler at risk.

Setting his mug down, Severus picked up the small robes and, with a nod to Masly, headed out of the door. The warm breeze greeted him as Severus strode the short distance between the two cottages, feeling the brush of the protective fields they had erected around Hannah and Phillip's home two days before. If Rys was going to be spending his days here, both Severus and Bernard had insisted the Mays allow them to reinforce the wards. Once that had been dealt with, Bernard had drawn up a contract giving Hannah the ability to seek treatment for Rys if he got hurt, as well as laying out a payment schedule for Rys' care and education. Hannah, who had trained as a teacher, had been delighted when Severus suggested she begin tutoring both boys in their letters and numbers. To keep him from getting anxious about the separation, Severus thought it best that his son's mind was challenged.

"Daddy!"

A dark haired blur impacted against his legs as Severus walked up to the Mays' backdoor, a smile erupting on Severus' face as he grabbed the doorframe. A red and white streak circled them as Farsh barked his own greeting.

"Mis'd you, Daddy!" Those brilliant eyes glowed as they looked up at Severus.

"I missed you too, sweet boy," Severus told Rys, reaching down to stroke a hand through the soft hair.

"Rys knew you were home before you rounded the corner of your cottage." Hannah told him from the kitchen doorway, Kyler in her arms.

Severus pried Rys off his legs and lifted him, kissing his nose before setting the toddler on his hip. "Were you a good boy for Mrs. May, Rys?"

Rys glanced at Hannah before nodding his head, leaning close. Severus shot Hannah an enquiring look.

"We might have had a bit of a bad moment when the boys woke up from their nap, but Rys figured out where he was pretty quickly."

Giving his son a gentle squeeze, Severus leaned down to kiss the silky hair. "That's my good boy. Are you ready to get cleaned-up and go with me to our appointment?"

Rys looked up and gave him a small smile, nodding his head before wrapping his arms around Severus' neck. With a snort, Severus stepped into the kitchen as Hannah beckoned him through to the sitting room, the corgi puppy following them. While listening to Hannah relay the boys’ activities that morning, Severus stripped off Rys' play clothes and put on his robes. The toddler's attempts to help hampered their progress, but Severus had learned to work with the little fingers getting in the way without getting irritated.

Finally smoothing Rys' little robes, Severus quietly bid farewell to Hannah and Kyler, settled his son against him, and stepped into the fireplace. Rys stiffened, burying his face in Severus' shoulder as they twirled. The Floo deposited them in a bustling waiting room at St. Mungo's, where a harried looking junior healer was waiting. Worried that the mode of travel had upset his son's stomach, Severus rubbed the boy's back reassuringly as the witch stepped forward.

"Mr. Snape?" The girl asked hesitantly.

Severus nodded his head graciously, recognizing her as a Hufflepuff who'd been several years behind him at Hogwarts, and followed her away from the noise. They walked down a quiet side corridor, before she silently ushered them into a small examining room.

"Healer May will be with you in a few moments."

"Thank you,"

Severus waited until the door closed softly before shifting Rys to his hip, forcing the toddler to look at him. The brilliant eyes were anxious as Rys cautiously looked around the room.

"Do you feel sick, sweet boy?"

Rys shook his head, his body relaxing slightly as he resumed looking around the room. A straight-backed chair stood in the far corner, on the other side of a small examining table in the center. A large window lit the pale green walls and Rys giggled as he caught sight of a flock of baby sheep frolicking near the corner of the magical mural. Severus tried not to pace as his anxiety grew with each passing moment. He had been plagued by nightmares of late about the Dark Lord's fanatical activities during the period just before he'd attacked Godric's Hollow, the potions Severus had been ordered to create alone had been terrifying in their purposes.

The snick of the handle turning sent Rys scurrying back to Severus' side, but both of them relaxed when they saw the smiling Phillip May step inside.

"Good afternoon, Severus," the healer’s deep voice greeted them quietly while he watched the boy’s grip on Severus’ leg relax. "Hello, Rys."

Severus stroked the boy's hair reassuringly and was pleased when Rys let go of him to take a step towards Phillip, offering the healer a shy smile.

"M'lo."

Rys didn't protest as Philip lifted him up and onto the examination table. Severus moved around to stand at his son's head as the healer gently urged him to lie down.

"That's a good boy, Rys," Phillip crooned as he used hand and wand to examine the toddler. "You're growing so fast!"

A small hand reached up toward Severus, who captured it in his larger one, squeezing it gently and giving Rys a reassuring smile. Only the brilliant eyes moved as Phillip continued to check over the boy, getting closer and closer to his head. Severus could feel the tension in the solid grip around his fingers. Using his other hand, Severus gently brushed the hair back from Rys’ forehead, exposing the jagged scar. The solemn eyes watched his face intently as Severus continued to stroke Rys' hair.

"You are being a very good boy, Rys," Phillip said softly, resting a hand on the tiny shoulder as his wand began an intricate dance over Rys' forehead.

As the wand tip came closer and closer, the fingers wrapped around his tightened, and Severus tried to reassure the wary toddler. The healer's lips moved in a silent incantation and Severus' focus was yanked towards the lightning bolt-shaped scar as it began to glow an eerie green, circled in black: it was the color of the Killing Curse.

The bracelet around his wrist warmed and Severus quickly resumed his stroking of Rys' hair, doing his best to give his son a reassuring smile. Rys’ face tightened as if in pain, but he kept his eyes focused on Severus'. Finally, Phillip stepped back and Rys seemed to launch himself into Severus' arms, clinging to him frantically as Severus held him tightly.

"Phillip?"

The healer seemed pale as he met Severus' eyes, tilting his head towards Rys before shaking it slightly. Phillip clearly didn't want to speak in front of the toddler and so Severus concentrated on calming his son by rocking him gently. Rys clung to him tightly and Severus allowed it, especially when he rubbed his forehead against Severus' shoulder. The healer watched silently for a moment before flicking his wand over the toddler’s head towards the door and the sound beyond the door became muffled. Another flick and all sound was gone.

"Silencing Charm?" Severus guessed as he continued to rock his son.

"Yes." Phillip met his eyes, face still a shade pale. "There is organic matter lodged in Rys' scar, Severus."

It was only by sheer determination that Severus didn't stiffen or stop rocking. He swallowed several times against a sudden dryness in his throat.

"Organic matter?" he repeated softly, glancing down at his son while the memory of what had happened the night Lily and Potter had died played in his mind.

"Yes, Severus." The healer watched him. "I have to assume the contributor is the person who cast the Dark curse that created the scar."

Severus could feel his heart contract and then expand; his lungs struggle to pull in air as the ramifications of Phillip's words sank in. A physical piece of the Dark Lord had struck his son, but didn't rebound as the Killing Curse had, but what piece? One didn't curse someone with their bodies; they did it with their magic. Severus was well aware of the many potions he had been ordered to brew during those dark days and instinctively he knew this had something to do with the Dark Lord's attempts to make himself immortal. Had either one of the potions or a newly created spell changed the Dark Lord's magic from ethereal to something solid and organic?

Rys lifted his head and Severus could see that his son's forehead was red from rubbing against the heavy robes. Although he knew it must be a play of the light, the thin, jagged scar seemed slightly raised from the rest of his skin. The brilliant eyes looked up at him solemnly and Severus attempted to give the toddler a reassuring smile. Bringing a hand up to cup the back of Rys’ head, Severus brushed a kiss across the blemished skin and was rewarded with a small smile.

"Is there a way to remove it safely?"

Phillip May tilted his head slightly. "I'm not sure. Possibly."

Severus nodded once. He knew he would have to research the effects of the potions he'd been ordered to brew, along with the other measures the Dark Lord might have employed in his bid for immortality. Albus Dumbledore undoubtedly knew more than he had ever told Severus, as did members of the Inner Circle such as Lucius Malfoy. There should be enough information left to for them to reason out what it would take to remove the organic matter – if he could find it.

Rys leaned in and wrapped his arms around Severus' neck. "Home, Daddy?"

Severus glanced up to get an affirmative nod from the healer. "An excellent idea, I believe." He met Phillip's eyes, seeing in them all the emotion he felt swirling in his chest. "Perhaps we can get together to discuss this…matter over tea soon."

"Absolutely."


Still feeling numb, Severus carried his son as he stepped from the Floo into their cottage. Tonight was the first night they would be staying at Hogwarts and Severus wanted to make sure they had everything they would need. Sweeping up the stairs, Severus worked diligently to dissect the news he'd been given and compartmentalize it behind his Occlumency shields. It wouldn't do to have Albus Dumbledore learn of their discovery before Severus had time to research what the Dark Lord had been doing in those chaotic days. There had been so much subterfuge going on, even among those who thought of themselves as the vaunted inner circle.

Rys squirmed as they entered Severus' bedroom. "Need to go, Daddy."

Setting Rys down, Severus watched as the boy disappeared into the shared bathroom. A glance around the room showed him that the book he'd been reading had vanished off his bedside table, telling him that Masly had already taken the last of their items to their new rooms in the castle.

"Severus?"

Bernard's voice filtered up from below as Rys came out of the bathroom, trying to pull the bottom of his robe out of his trousers. Severus automatically reached down to help.

"We are up here, Bernard."

His son gave him a small smile when Severus finished adjusting his clothing and kissed his hair.

"Ah, here you are!" Bernard swept into the room, still dressed in what Severus privately called his supercilious barrister robes, a scroll of parchment in one hand. "I thought I'd deliver you a copy of the signed agreement with Dumbledore before you attended your official meal at Hogwarts." With a broad grin, Bernard bent down, extending the scroll towards Rys. "Will you give that to your dad for me, Rys?"

With a quick look up at Severus, Rys walked over and carefully took the scroll with both hands. "T'ank you."

Severus let Rys hold the parchment as he reached down to pick him up. Bernard took the hint, leading the way out of the room and back down the stairs. They needed to Floo over to Hogwarts in time for dinner.

"What are you working on that has you in your grandiose finery?" Severus asked when curiosity got the best of him.

"Walburga Black wants to change her will again, but she is barking mad, so I just had to make an appearance in the courtroom."

“And this pertains to me, why?”  Severus asked curiously, smoothing a hand over Rys’ hair.

Bernard smiled as his eyes followed the motion. "Because Harry Potter is named as Sirius Black's sole heir and any change in the old bat's will would affect my young client."

The words caught Severus by surprise, even though it certainly made sense – he knew James Potter had named Black godfather for Rys, but the bastard's betrayal of Lily, Potter, and the baby had voided the bond as far as he was concerned.

"There was a contingent of Malfoy barristers there, supposedly to protect the interest of Narcissa and her son as Black relatives, especially with Regulus dead and Sirius in Azkaban." Bernard glanced at the Floo and took a step closer. "I believe they were petitioning to have Draco Malfoy named as the new Black family heir, but because Orion never disowned Sirius and Walburga, while she disowned him, didn't have the legal authority to change Orion's will."

Severus frowned. "Doesn't a conviction and sentence to Azkaban have any bearing?"

Bernard shook his head. "Sirius was never tried or convicted for any crime, Severus; he was simply thrown into Azkaban and locked away, not that Walburga noticed, I suppose. They say she went round the twist when Regulus' body showed up, mangled and blackened, dead by some incredibly Dark curse, the Dark Mark seared from his arm."

Watching as Bernard shook his head, Severus did his best not to sneer. He remembered when the younger Black was in Hogwarts, rich, pampered, and pompous, and had become an immediate favorite of their Head of House. It had been almost a social event when the prat had taken the Dark Mark at sixteen, proud mother beaming at his side. His stomach churned with the memory of the Dark Lord's incandescent rage just a couple of years later, when Black had become disillusioned. Swallowing thickly, Severus remembered seeing for the first time the effects of a potion he'd developed on the Dark Lord's orders...

"…and it has me curious now, Severus," Bernard was still talking, "but did you ever see Lily's will? Or Potter's for that matter?"

"No, I…" Severus cleared his throat, firmly pushing the memories aside. "I was told there weren’t any."

Frowning, Bernard cocked his head. "I find that hard to believe, given the extent of the Potter family holdings, so I would suspect Dumbledore was involved. I believe that I will see if I can find them, as they might be very informative."

Rys wrapped his arms around Severus' leg, clearly feeling the unease in him. Leaning down to lift the toddler into his arms, Severus made a snap decision.

"While you are searching, will you also see if Regulus Black left any type of will or other documents?"

Sending Bernard a piercing look, Severus held Rys tightly against his chest, arms wrapped protectively around the boy. "Philip found organic matter in the scar this afternoon, very Dark matter," Severus told his friend quietly.

Taking a step forward, Bernard laid his hand on Rys back for a moment, his expression somber. "I'll do my best, Severus. Take your son to dinner and leave this to me." Then the barrister grinned suddenly. "Besides, I look forward to managing Rys' assets, for my usual fee, of course!"


"Are you ready, sweet boy?" Severus asked his son, smoothing a non-existent wrinkle from the dark green robes and checking that Rys' fringe still covered the infamous scar on his forehead.

Rys eyed the huge doors to the Great Hall for a moment before tilting his head to look up at Severus. "Yes, Daddy."

Nodding his approval, Severus extended his hand and waited until his son had a firm grip on his fingers before waving his hand at the doors. Creaking open slowly, the doors parted and Severus started down the wide center aisle at a moderate stride, very cognizant of the small child beside him. The murmur of conversation dwindled as he approached the Head Table and then stopped altogether when his colleagues caught sight of the small child clutching at his hand. Rys had picked out robes as close in coloring as he could to Severus' jet-black teaching robes, the white button-down shirt and black trousers a match to his father's. Even Severus had to admit that at first glance the toddler bore a striking resemblance to him, the auburn highlights and almond shape of his son's eyes the only hints to his mother.

The sharp clatter of a spoon dropped into a porcelain bowl startled him and looking quickly, Severus caught the fleeting look of astonished recognition on Minerva McGonagall's face. It was quickly masked and Severus felt a tendril of unease as the Headmaster cleared his throat.

"Severus, so glad you could join us tonight."

It was all he could do not to sneer at the jovial tone – as if he'd had a choice in the matter – but Severus simply inclined his head in acknowledgement. Maneuvering behind Professor Sprout, Severus claimed the chair next to Filius Flitwick, transfiguring the legs of the chair between him and Sprout taller, and lifting Rys into it. The Herbology professor looked down at the boy and then nodded to Severus, before turning back to her bowl of soup.

"And who is this little tyke, Severus?" the diminutive Charms professor asked, looking across Severus to the silent child.

"This is my son, Rys," Severus said formally, scowling as he waited for the food to appear in front of them. "Rys, this is Professor Flitwick."

Flitwick smiled as Rys glanced at him long enough to nod, before dropping his eyes back down to stare at his hands clasped in his lap. "And the lad's mother, will she be joining us at Hogwarts as well?"

Severus' closed his eyes tightly for a moment and felt Rys lean against his arm. Opening them, Severus looked down and gave his son a reassuring smile.

"No, Professor, she won't be. She died last year,"

"Oh, terribly sorry to hear that, Severus!" Flitwick said in a mortified voice and turned quickly back to his soup.

There was a moment of heavy silence, which Severus ignored as he reached down to help Rys with his napkin. A buzz of conversation began at the other end of the table and slowly worked its way down as Severus prepared a small plate for Rys and then filled his own. Never far from his mind was the warning that Altor had given him, but Severus knew he need not worry about the food the house-elves prepared. He even suspected that the addition of several of the dishes, ones that lent themselves well to little fingers, had been for Rys.

"I see you've settled in, Severus." Dumbledore's voice cut through the babble around him. "Do you have everything you need?"

A subtle emphasis on words let Severus know that Dumbledore had received his copy of their signed contact and he swallowed the food in his mouth. "Yes, thank you, Headmaster."

"Severus," Sprout gestured with her fork over Rys' head. "I've used the small hothouse to plant those special herbs you requested and the Nightshade is flourishing in there as well."

Severus leaned closer as Sprout described the status of the various plants she was growing for his Potions classes. Rys ate quietly, his eyes on his plate for the most part with only the occasional glance up to look around. It was the first time they had been in a setting with so many other people and Severus knew that the boy was uncomfortable. Other than a bit more use of his fingers as cutlery, Severus was proud of the way his son was behaving and turned his attention back to Sprout while he ate.

Out of the corner of his eye, Severus saw Rys lean forward, reaching for the chocolate biscuits that he'd developed a great liking for. Severus saw the sleeve of Rys' robes brush against his cup of milk and the cup tumbled toward Severus' lap. Wide-eyed, the boy slammed himself back in the chair, a hand crammed into his mouth to prevent any sound from escaping as Severus watched the cup tumble over and over. It took everything he had to remain in his seat, to watch the cup land in his lap without spilling. The house-elves had spelled it, Severus thought, relieved.

The bracelet warmed against his skin and Severus looked over to see a terrified Rys, silent tears streaming down his face as he waited for Severus to react. The entire room had gone silent, but Severus ignored those around the table as he slowly, carefully set the cup back on the table and held his hand out to his son. In the blink of an eye, Rys was in his lap, face buried in Severus' black robes as his whole body trembled. Severus ran his fingers through the smooth hair as his other arm held the toddler close; the boy curled into him, grasping the front on his robes tightly.

As the tears eased, Severus could feel the tension slowly drain out Rys, but his hand continued to card through the silky hair. Feeling the weight of numerous eyes, Severus brought his head up, his face set in an emotionless mask. He returned each of the stares directly until each of his colleagues looked away, with the exception of Poppy Pomfrey who gave him a hard inquiring look and Minerva McGonagall, who simply looked stunned. Albus Dumbledore continued to eat the afters he'd chosen for himself without comment.

"Severus, I believe the tyke wanted one of these." Pomona Sprout held out one of the chocolate biscuits.

"Yes," Severus said, shifting slightly so that his son was leaning back against him, pointedly ignoring the mess his crying had made. "He's developed quite a fondness for them. Rys, Professor Sprout has a biscuit for you."

One hand still entangled in his father's robes, Rys dragged his other arm across his face before he looked up at Sprout and tentatively reached for the sweet. Taking it in his hand, Rys brought it back slowly, his eyes on the Herbologist.

"T'ank you," the boy said softly and Severus nodded his approval.

Severus allowed Rys to remain in his lap while he finished his dinner, the boy content to nibble on biscuits as the conversation resumed and flowed around them. He felt no need for an explanation, nor would Severus give Dumbledore any leeway to make some dramatic announcement. His son's identity as the Boy Who Lived would be revealed only when Severus was ready. Until he knew who he could trust and who he couldn't, Severus preferred anyone with ill-intent towards his son to remain ignorant of the boy's presence.


Childish giggles woke Severus from a sound sleep and he lay still for a moment, trying to convince himself that he'd dreamed the noise. Another burst of giggles had Severus on his feet, wand in hand, and running through the bathroom into Rys' room. The sight of his son's empty bed, illuminated by a single spelled-candle, made his heart stop, even as another burst of giggles came from the sitting room. Gripping his wand tightly, Severus silently made his way toward the sound.

The boy sat underneath the tapestry of Merlin, giggling as a tabby cat stood on its hind feet and licked his face. Someone or something had lit the torches, so Severus raised his wand, pointing it at the cat. The bracelet hadn't given any indication of danger, but Severus wasn't taking any chances. He moved closer, trying to figure out a way to snatch his son away from the intruder.

"Rys," Severus said softly, careful not to startle the boy. "Come to Daddy."

Both heads turned toward him and Severus almost gasped when he recognized the dark markings around the cat's eyes. Why would Minerva McGonagall be in his rooms at three in the morning, playing with his son?

"Daddy, look!" Rys tried to grab the cat as it danced out of his reach and Severus jumped, scooping the toddler up without ever lowering his wand.

Rys' initial cry of protest was cut off when Severus tightened his hold, pressing the boy into his shoulder while the cat watched. In a blur, the cat was gone and a disheveled Minerva McGonagall stood in front of him, wringing her hands. Holding his wand steady, Severus waited, desperately wanting to get Rys out of harm's way, but unwilling to turn his back until he knew what the witch's intent was. The Professor McGonagall that Severus had always known was a staunch supporter of Albus Dumbledore and Severus couldn't trust anyone with those ties.

"My apologies, Severus, it was unbelievably rude of me to sneak in at this hour, but I…"

Severus frowned as McGonagall's voice broke, while Rys stirred against his chest, trying to get a look at the talking cat, no doubt.

"Why are you here, Professor?" His voice was harsh.

"To see if this was indeed the baby boy I helped bring into the world," came her soft response.

Severus frowned as the dark eyes lifted to meet his. He knew that Lily had been exceptionally close to the Transfiguration professor when they were in school, so it was possible she might have confided in McGonagall. They had both been part of the Order of the Phoenix at the time James Potter went missing and Lily's only other confidant was Alice Longbottom, now a permanent resident of St. Mungo's Spell Damage Ward.

"I helped her with the charms when…your son was born." McGonagall didn't flinch from his scowl. "I was also the one who told Dumbledore not to leave the baby with those horrid Muggles!"

Severus could see the truth in her eyes and slowly lowered his wand as he shifted Rys to his hip. The toddler looked curiously at the woman and then around the room, no doubt still looking for the tabby cat he'd played with just minutes before. Severus was surprised at the way the woman's face softened when she looked at Rys. As his heart rate returned to normal, Severus realized that had McGonagall meant to harm the boy, she could have done so while he was still asleep.

Taking a deep breath, Severus set his son down and Summoned his dressing gown. Rys clung uncertainly to his sleep pants, one hand rubbing at a now sleepy eye.

"Change back, Professor," Severus suggested quietly. "Let Rys see that you are the cat."

There was a shimmer and Rys let go of him to reach for the tabby cat, only to stare at McGonagall in her tartan robes when she reappeared. The boy took a step closer, however, and the witch sank down onto the settee. Looking over his shoulder at Severus, Rys didn't seem to know what to do.

"It's all right, sweet boy," Severus said, wand now held down by his side.

Rys walked closer and then stunned the woman by stopping in front of her and placing his hand carefully on her knee. "You'r a kitty?"

"When I want to be," she told him primly. "Would you…would you like to sit on my lap?"

Glancing back at Severus again, the boy gave a slight nod, but held himself stiffly while he was lifted onto McGonagall's lap. Severus moved to sit beside them.

"Professor?" Severus watched as a silent tear slid down the weathered cheek.

"James knew," the witch said quietly, coaxing Rys to lean back against her. "Lily told him--not who, mind you--but she told him what had happened. He never asked, either, although I believe he suspected…Lily only had one friend she truly loved…James simply accepted, loving the baby and Lily."

Severus couldn't stop the bitter snort of laughter. "That doesn't sound like the Potter I knew."

The dark eyes flicked upwards to meet his. "Whatever happened during that month he was held captive changed him, Severus. James chose to accept the baby as his own and he truly did love him."

Rys reached out and tentatively patted McGonagall on the arm, allowing her to cuddle him closer.

"Surely Lily's will told you the story, Severus?" McGonagall frowned. "I know that Lily put a provision in hers to make sure you or Sirius Black, Har…the baby's godfather was given custody just to prevent him from ending up with those Muggles, that sister of Lily's was foul! It was also why they didn't make Sirius their Secret Keeper, James was afraid it would make him an even bigger target, especially after Regulus was killed!"

Severus watched as Rys finally relaxed and snuggled into the tartan robes while his mind mulled over everything Minerva McGonagall had just told him. As his son's eyes drifted closed, Severus made the similar decision to trust his old Transfiguration teacher.

"I haven't been able to find Lily's will, Professor," Severus said and watched her reaction carefully. "I actually paid a great deal of money to 'adopt' my son and am now trying to repair the damage done."

A horrified look crossed her face, settling into anger as Severus watched the witch's arms tighten around the boy.

"There are other ramifications as well, Prof…Minerva, but right now, my greatest challenge is to protect my son from all that would hurt or manipulate him," Severus emphasized the word delicately. "Would you be willing to help me protect him?"

A fiercely protective look settled over her face. "With my very life, Severus."