Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 1: Consequences

The sound of hurried footsteps echoed in empty corridor. Torches on the other wise bare walls were the only thing pervading light.

A slim teenaged boy with raven-colored hair over his forehead rushed through.

Had there been any onlookers, they would have seen that his posture was stiff and his hands were clenched. But nobody was looking. Anyone even thinking about him would assume that he was safe in his bed.At the end of the corridor, he suddenly turned around. He looked around, standing very still, listening, but whatever he was expecting wasn't there.

After walking a few feet, he turned again. His emerald eyes sparkled with rage and a touch of unease.

A door appeared right as Harry walked past it. Backtracking, he wrenched the door open, and without looking to see if anybody had seen, he walked through. The room looked like the Gryffindor common room except this room had only one chair, a side table and one big fireplace.

He knew that this room could provide what he needed most, and right now, all Harry needed was to get away from everyone, and Snape particularly. The room Harry had entered was Room of Requirement Snape. Harry shook with rage at the very thought of the Potions Master. Harry paced back and forth. It was late and he was tired, but his emotions kept him standing.

What he had just seen-confused him. It seemed that Snape had been submitted to just as much embarrassment as Harry had. Harry couldn’t begin to count the times where Dudley and his gang had mocked him for having no parents and for his over sized clothes.

Was James really as mean and arrogant as Snape had always said? After seeing the memory in Snape’s pensieve, Harry found his father’s actions hard ignore. He didn’t like what he had seen.

Harry's mind whirled. How could his mother marry someone that embarrassed somebody just because his friend said he was bored? And what was Sirius doing! Why didn’t he stop James? At least Remus should have said something! He was supposed to be the perfect prefect.

Everything Harry had thought his father was seemed to crash around him, leaving Harry feeling unsure of himself. Sirius had said so many times that Harry was just like his father. But now…Harry wasn’t sure he wanted to be like his father. After trying so hard to be like his parents, after so much asking…begging people to tell him more about them, he just found this.

Harry stopped pacing.

A cold chill ran down Harry’s skin, and Harry went to the fireplace, one quick flick of his wand later and he had himself a nice fire. Harry sat in the lonely chair, wishing he had some hot cocoa. The cocoa appeared right beside Harry. It even had the little marshmallows that he secretly loved.

A faint pounding started in Harry’s head and he set his cup down on the side table. Taking his glasses off, Harry rubbed at his eyes.

Occlumency lessons with Snape had gone horribly. No, this was the worst almost lesson Harry had ever had. They hadn’t even begun the lesson.

It is your fault, though, Harry admitted to himself. If only you hadn’t given in to your cursed curiosity!

Harry sometimes found it disturbing that his conscious sounded like Hermione. Then he realized that Hermione would flip when she found out his Occlumency lessons are off. Ron would understand, but Hermione…not so much. Harry could already hear her reprimanding him.

He would never hear the end of it.

Dumbledore would be worse then Hermione. Harry could see him now, sitting in his high-backed chair, staring at Harry with deeply disappointed blue eyes.

Harry shifted in his seat. Maybe if Dumbledore had told him what he was planning--told him anything, for that matter--maybe he would have not felt the urgent need to look in the pensieve.

But how would you like it if somebody viewed your private thoughts? Harry’s conscience questioned. But, honestly, this is Snape! You think that he’s so far from human that he doesn’t have feelings?

Harry groaned, and suddenly felt uncomfortable. He was being put on the spot by his own conscious! Harry sat back deep in the chair and ran a hand through his hair.

“Merlin, I’m pathetic!”

The outburst sounded loud in the silent room, and the unexpected reply sounded even louder.

“I agree.”

Harry jumped out of the chair and spun around to where the voice had came from, upsetting the side table as he did so. Harry couldn’t believe his eyes as he held his wand over the intruder.

“I hope your face doesn’t get stuck like that or we’ll never get married,” the intruder said. Harry snapped his mouth shut, only wondering for a second what the married comment meant. But really, there could be no doubt. Standing right in front of Harry was a slim, tall replica of…himself.

He looked like an older version of Harry. The only things different were his height, clothes, missing glasses and the way he held himself. The replica’s hair was brushed over his forehead to hide the lightening bolt scar. His hands were in his blue jean jacket, and his aged green eyes and tired face spoke volumes for whatever he’d been through .

“Who are you? What do you want?” Harry was sure this was a Death Eater trick.

The replica stepped forward and Harry raised his wand threateningly.

“I’m you,” he replied, “and to answer your second question….I need you to lower your wand first.”

Harry snorted loudly, a grim grin coming over his features.

“You think I’m stupid enough to do that?”

The man’s green eyes narrowed to slits.

“You were stupid enough to look in the pensieve. Yes, I know about that, so pick your jaw up of the floor and listen to me, I…”

Before he could say a thing further, Harry had jumped forward and poked his wand into the man’s chest, right above his heart. “No, you listen to me!” Harry growled, he heart pounding. “I want to know who you really are, why you’re here, and how you got here!”

If he get’s nasty I can tie him in ropes and--

Quicker then anything Harry had ever seen, the man grabbed his arm and flipped Harry over his back. While Harry lay on the floor, the man snatched Harry’s wand up, gathered the front of Harry’s robes in one fist and pulled the stumbling teen over towards the chair he had been sitting in so peacefully before. Roughly, the man pushed Harry into the chair. Harry tried to get up and to his utter surprise, the man slapped him. Harry gasped, for the pure force behind the slap made Harry’s face sting something horrible.

The man was panting slightly as he lowered himself to Harry’s level, grabbed Harry’s chin, and stared straight at him. The man’s eyes were deadly.

“You’re in no position to make demands,” he said. “You will listen willingly, or I’ll make you. Which one is it going to be?”

Harry didn’t say anything, but the man didn’t need an answer. He straightened up and rubbed his left arm with his right, making a pained face as he did so.

Harry was scared stiff. Who was he and what did he want? Was he a kidnapper? One of Voldemort’s minions?

If Harry screamed, nobody would hear. The entire castle was asleep… This thought made Harry breathe faster.

The man shook his head in annoyance. He was looking at Harry like he was a puzzle.

“What do you want me to tell you so you’ll believe me when I say that I am you?”

Harry stared at the man incredulously. One second he was slapping him and now he wanted to be friendly? The man sighed when he caught the look. With a quick wave of Harry’s wand, a plain wooden chair appeared and the man sat down. Leaning back in the chair, he closed his eyes. Harry briefly thought of trying to get away.

“Move and suffer my wrath.” So much for that idea, thought Harry. He sat absolutely still.

“Let’s see…something only I would know,” the man muttered to himself. He stood a few second later and pulled the chair closer to Harry.

“In second year, Hermione stole the ingredients to make the Polyjuice potion while me and Ron created a diversion. When you told Sirius that you wanted to live with him, it was mainly because of the Dursleys. You like Ginny, but don’t want to say anything because you think that Ron will disapprove.”

The man took a deep breath and then continued.

“You slept in a cupboard before the Hogwarts letter came, and sometimes you miss it. You wanted to be a train driver, then a pianist, then a magician when you were younger. You used to do everything you could think of to make Petunia love you before you gave up. You used to wish that Professor Snape would learn how to like you. Now you think yourself stupid for once wishing that.”

Harry’s mouth had fallen open a long time ago, now it snapped shut.

“Is that enough for you?” The man--Harry--asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I…Why are you here?”

A short sigh. “We keep coming back to that don’t we? I have come to change our future.”

Once again, Harry stared incredulously. “What!” he shouted. “What’s so wrong with my future that you had to come back and change it?”

The older Potter ran a hand through his messy locks just like Harry had a while ago. He seemed like he was trying to figure out what to say. “Some terrible things happen in your future,” he said, finally. “I came back to try and stop them from happening.” “Like what?” Harry challenged. He was still having a hard time believing that this man was his future self.

The man stared at Harry until Harry felt uncomfortable, then said, “I can’t won’t tell you how they happen but--” He took a deep breath. “--people you love die…your wife dies in your arms and you…turn bitter. You lose your friends because they either die or just can’t stand to be around you anymore. Your children are killed before your eyes…and when somebody comes and asks you for forgiveness, you throw him to the dogs.”

He wasn’t looking at Harry as he told of his fate.

“I…I woul….”

“Wouldn’t do that?” The black-haired man didn’t look sympathetic. “Oh, but you do. You turn your back on everybody you ever trusted and when they try to help…you tell them to leave and never come back and they do leave. Ron dies trying to protect you and Hermione can’t stand the wizarding world anymore after that, so she leaves. There’s no Dumbledore to run to now…no, he’s been dead for years.”

Harry watched the man, hoping that he was bluffing, but the man was caught up in memories so terrible that he didn’t even notice. There was a desperation in his eyes that reminded Harry of Sirius when he had met Harry in the Shrieking Shack, desperately trying to convince Harry of his innocence.

“Ginny…sweet… so sweet… and innocent as she lay in my arms…dying…I never got to say goodbye.” Harry saw the man swallow hard, and he watched dazedly as the man slowly slid down the wall, emotional agony written all over his face. Harry himself felt numb. Ginny was going to die? In his arms no less. How would Ron die? Who did he end up throwing to the dogs?

Harry sat down on the floor. He didn’t even remember standing up. Too much information in so little time. If any of this happened…Harry couldn’t risk it happening. It would surely kill him. Harry didn’t want to become bitter and mad at the world. Harry took a deep, shaky breath. Looking over to the corner, he saw his future self staring into space with a blank unemotional face. He didn’t want that to be him one day.

“What…should I do?”

Slowly the man turned to look at Harry. After studying Harry for a moment, nodded to himself.

“This is going to sound crazy, but….I need you to trust Severus Snape.”

As Harry gaped he continued in a stern voice,

“You have to learn Occlumency and Professor Snape is the best person to learn it from. I know he’s tough--” Harry snorted and the Older Harry glared at him and stressed the next word. “--but he really is the best there is, besides Voldemort. So unless you want to be responsible for Sirius’s death and many others, I suggest you learn it.”

Harry was shocked but he still managed to choke out, “Sirius dies…because of me?”

The older Harry turned away without answering. “If you play this game right, you might still be able to live with him.”

Harry was thinking this over when he felt his future self watching him. Green eyes met green.

“Professor Snape’s not very happy with me at the moment,” Harry said carefully.

“I wonder why,” The man returned dryly.

“What do I do?”

“That’s for you to decide. Just remember to keep your temper and…Harry?”

Harry looked at his older self. “Yes?”

“Severus Snape is a magnificent spy, but he has to keep up a constant appearance that he hates you. So don’t hate him for that. He’s just doing his job. Also remember, you haven’t given him any reason to like you.”

Harry thought that over before nodding. The older man suddenly shimmered. A pale light rolled over his skin before disappearing and Harry stepped back in alarm. After quickly checking his dirty watch, the grim-faced man looked at Harry.

“I’ve got to go now. I’ll see tomorrow. Same time, same place. Don’t forget to apologize to Snape. Beg if you must. Do whatever you have to as long as you get him to teach you Occlumency.”

Before Harry could say anything, his older self disappeared. “Bye,” Harry said to the empty room.