Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 12: Gryffindor Strikes Back

Harry wanted to sleep. He was tired and did not want to spend the time it took to clear his mind. Harry was not going to stop practicing Occlumency right after he received a compliment from Snape. Even though he wanted too badly.

So before he went to bed, he spent ten minutes calming himself to clear his mind. It was hard to do because of the excitement. He had a lot planned for the Slytherin sleeping in the next bed.

Thinking about it, then, Harry had grinned eagerly. It would be brilliant. They had sent a short message by owl to Hermione explaining their plan and she had sent one back quickly. Harry was surprised at how eagerly she had agreed. But Malfoy was enough to make even the calmest of people want revenge. Now all they had to do was wait until it was time.

If I can fall asleep quickly then the time for pranking will come quicker, Harry thought.

…………………………..

It was just a few hours later that Harry woke up. He had spelled a wake up charm on himself before going to bed. It was still dark outside. The sky had only the slightest tints of light in it. It was time.

Quietly, he got out of bed and moved toward the bed next to him. Ron was shaken awake gently by Harry’s hand. Seamus and Neville were already waking up and one of them moved away to wake up Dean.

They were as silent as mice. Harry had slept in his clothes all night so he would not have to stop and get dressed. There was one small knock on the door before it slid open to reveal Hermione.

She grinned at seeing them and moved into the room. They all stood around Malfoy’s bed impatiently. “Do you have Colin’s camera?” Dean asked Hermione. She took it from a pack she had over her shoulder.

Hermione drew her wand and cast several spells. A few times she frowned while casting, but when she was done she said, “Okay, he won’t be able to hear us, and I put him under a heavy sleeping charm. The only way he’ll wake up is if you drop the bed on the staircase.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” Ron said with a nasty grin and Neville snickered. Harry rolled his eyes and moved the curtains back from Malfoy’s bed. “Ron, we’re pulling a prank, not trying to traumatize him for life.”

“You’re no fun,” Harry heard him grumble. Harry hid a smirk as he vanished the hangings on Malfoy’s bed. Malfoy was sleeping on his back with his hands on his stomach. He even sleeps orderly, Harry thought with a laugh.

“We are going to be in so much trouble!” Hermione said but to Harry she seemed more excited by the prospect than worried.

“As long as were caught after the prank I don’t mind. Now, come on and levitate the bed,” Harry said.

Hermione levitated the bed and Harry grinned as it rose. Next, Seamus made the bed smaller so that it just barely held Malfoy on it. Harry quickly fetched the Marauder Map, being careful not to let his other roommates see it. The bed was led out of the Gryffindor dormitory on carefully down the stairs.

The common room was empty as they entered it with the floating bed right behind them. A fire was out but the embers were still glowing, casting shadows on the walls. Harry cast a disillusionment charm on Malfoy and the bed before leading it out the portrait.

The castle was quiet and the threat of being caught out this early made Harry that more excited. “Thanks for doing this, Hermione,” Harry whispered to his friend.

“Anything to get back at Malfoy,” Hermione muttered with a grin. Even though Malfoy would not be able to hear them because of one of the spells on his bed, they still needed to be careful not to be found by Filch or a ghost.

After going down halls, staircases, and almost waking up Malfoy, they finally made it to the Entrance Hall.

The doors to the Great Hall were shut but a few voices could be heard from inside. Harry thought he recognized McGonagall’s voice before they carefully filed out the door.

The ground outside was mushy. It had pored all night long and some trees were still dripping raindrops. Harry just hoped Hermione would not slip while she was directing Malfoy’s bed. That would certainly wake the blond up.

The Gryffindors almost ran to the lake with Malfoy’s bed flying along behind them. They were careful in their steps, taking care not to step in any puddles.

Harry could not hold in a laugh as they reached the lake. It was going to be brilliant, better than any joke he had ever played before.

Hermione lowered the bed onto the grassy slope that connected to the lake. “Harry, would you like to do the honors?”

Harry took a small bow. “It would be my pleasure,” he said with a smile.

“Let’s get a picture first!” Neville said.

“When we’re old and gray, we can look back and laugh our heads off,” Dean said.

Ron, Harry, and Hermione stood in front of the lake while Neville took a picture of them. A few more pictures were taken of the rest of the Gryffindors and then one of them all standing in front of Malfoy’s bed. They were grinning like idiots but as happy as larks.

The Gryffindors settled down as Harry lifted his wand and floated Malfoy’s bed into the lake. He also cast a flotation spell so that Malfoy would not sink under the lake. It was a good

“You had better tie him to something so that he does not float too far away, Harry,” Hermione said.

Harry did that and Malfoy’s bed floated as far as the rope would let him.

Together they watched as the bed sailed merrily on the lake. “Hope the giant squid doesn’t eat him,” Ron said in false concern. That was all it took for the laughter Harry had been holding in to come out.

He fell to his rear as laughter shook him. Laughter is contagious and before they knew it all the Gryffindors were laughing their head off.

“He is going to freak out!” Harry said as he wiped tears from his eyes. “I gotta send a picture of this to Snuffles.”

“And Remus,” Hermione said. She was using a hanky to dry her face. A few minutes later Dean, Seamus and Neville left to go inside.

Hermione took some pictures of Malfoy from the shore. They could just see him still asleep and lying comfortable. He would never know what hit him. Malfoy’s bed was rocking gently with the waves of the lake. The birds were singing and the sun was coming out. The rays of light warmed Harry’s skin and he sat contently beneath the boughs of a tree.

A few minutes later, Malfoy started waking up. Seeing the light movements, Harry stood up with his friends right behind him.

Harry knew when Malfoy woke. He could see how wide the blond’s eyes were from the shore. Then he started screaming bloody murder as he scooted up against the headboard. His brash movements caused the bed to rock and Malfoy held on for dear life.

Joyous laughter from Harry and his friends caused the blond to spin around.

“Beat that Malfoy!” The dark haired teen crowed, punching the air with victory.

Hermione laughed and clapped her hands together. “POTTER!” Malfoy yelled furiously, he was now clutching the sheets to his chest. His Slytherin green pajama’s shone in the sunlight.

“What is it Malfoy?” Harry called back mockingly.

“I’m going to KILL YOU!” Malfoy screamed back and the bed tilted furiously at his violent fist waving.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning,” Ron said with a snicker. Malfoy muffled a scream of frustration into his duvet and the trio laughed at him.

“What’s the matter? Never had a water bed before?” Hermione called out innocently. Malfoy’s glare was enough to make anyone flinch, and if the friends had not been so pleased with themselves at the moment, they would have.

“If you don’t get me back on shore this instant I’ll--” Malfoy did not know how to complete his threat and he stuttered to a stop.

“You’ll what? Finish a sentence?” Harry asked while laughing. A few students were beginning to wander outside to eat breakfast in the sun. It was Saturday, so there was no need to hurry to class.

Malfoy saw this, as well, and Harry could see him turning pink at the prospect of everyone seeing him. “Come on Potter. The squid is going to eat me!”

Harry laughed. The squid chose that moment to raise a long tentacle right next to Malfoy splashing water on the shrieking teen. “Maybe we should pull him back…” Hermione muttered watching the scene. As she spoke, more and more students were coming to the lake, having heard the commotion.

More tentacles were surfacing around the bed and one wrapped itself around the headboard. “Potter, do something!” Malfoy yelled as he spun around watching in horror as the bed was wrapped in the squids clutches.

Ron gulped as he watched. The squid started dragging Malfoy and his bed farther away from the shore, stretching the rope to its limits. But even the thick rope could not handle the tension and it snapped.

“Crap!” That was the only thing Harry had time to say before he was shooting into the water. The bond would not allow him to be any further away from Malfoy. So Harry was dragged into the lake admist the sounds of his yelling friends.

He inhaled a little air and then a lot of water as he was dragged under. This was not how his prank was supposed to go. Harry did not even have time to get his bearings before he was being dragged through the water.

He was losing his head when the squid stopped. Harry’s lungs ached for fresh air and his eyes stung slightly. He had always hated getting water in them.

Harry could see light upwards through the blackness of the water. He tried to swim to the top without much success. He was not a good swimmer. His brain was getting fuzzy as his energy ran out.

It was a sad thing to quit now. The surface was so close. Then a hand wrapped around his wrist and pulled at him. To Harry it was like being pulled through pudding. The water seemed thick and it seemed like it would never end--but then, he breached the surface.

Harry couldn’t see a thing as he started choking up the water as soon as fresh air hit him. His throat burned and someone was pulling him onto a soft surface which was slightly wobbly.

“Do you have to be so dramatic Potter?” asked Malfoy’s voice. Harry was still trying hard not to cough his guts up so he refrained from answering. He may not of been able to speak but his mind was busy.

Why did he save me? Was Harry’s first question on his mind. Malfoy hated him and although it had toned down, the hatred was still there.

His brain tried to come up with answered too Malfoy sudden bought of heroism. Maybe there would be to many witnesses to say he did not try to save me? He wants to let Voldemort do it instead? He did it by accident, it was just a natural response?

Harry was not sure if he was hoping Malfoy had other reasons for saving him. The thought of Malfoy saving him because he wanted to was almost worse then anything else Harry could think of.

Malfoy was his foe, enemy and all around school nemesis. Harry would ignore these new thoughts. Instead he would hope that Malfoy just wanted too kill him himself. That was something Harry was used to.

After he got his bearings, Harry looked around. He and Malfoy were sitting on the floating bed. It was right along the shore.

Hearing shouts, Harry looked around. He could see Ron and Hermione along with some other students running toward him.

Makfoy was the one that had pulled him out of the water. The Slytherin was now watching him with a smug expression that Harry really wanted to smack off.

“Harry, are you alright?” Hermione asked from just a few feet away on the shore.

She and Ron were panting from running around the lake. “Yeah, I’m fine,” Harry said.

“You could have been drowned, Harry!” Hermione exclaimed as Ron leaned over and held out his hand. The bed wobbled but stayed afloat as Harry used Ron’s hand to climb off the bed.

Malfoy was left to climb out on his own. “It would not have mattered if you had not done this in the first place,” he said with a sneer.

Ron rolled his eyes. “It was a joke, just like the one you pulled on Harry.”

My prank did not involve a ferocious beast!” Malfoy exclaimed as he flattened his normally perfect hair.

Hermione giggled. “The giant squid is hardly a ferocious beast Malfoy.”

“Yeah,” Ron joined in amusedly. “The squid’s harmless.”

Malfoy frowned. “I could of drowned.” A thought suddenly hit Harry for not thinking of it earlier. Malfoy saved me because the bond would of hurt him if he didn’t!

Harry felt like an idiot for thinking his silly thoughts earlier. He grinned to himself happy to know that nothing had changed.

“The squid would of saved you,” Hermione was saying. They started off toward Hogwarts with the dripping bed following behind, thanks to Hermione.

“Oh, just what I need first thing in the morning. A tentacle hauling me out of the lake and putting me back on my brand new water bed.” Malfoy’s voice was so sarcastic that Harry was having a hard time not laughing.

“If that wouldn’t give me a heart attack nothing would,” the Slytherin continued in a growl.

Ron laughed, “Merlin, I wished we could of gotten a picture!”

Malfoy’s sneer was more pronounced now. “Shut your trap, Weasley. Go snog the mudblood or something,” he snarled.

Ron turned red and immediately grabbed his wand. Hermione sighed as the two faced off.

“Oh brother,” Harry muttered with a sigh. He was not happy with Malfoy insulting Hermione but he could de without the fighting.

“Take it back,” Ron warned waving his wand threateningly and Malfoy snorted.

“Think I’m scared of you Weasel?”

Harry stepped forward toward Ron. “Come on, he’s not worth it,” Harry said trying to get his friend to lower his wand.

“Harry’s right, Ron, come on,” Hermione said encouragingly.

It was a miracle that Ron actually listened. It was not something that happened often, and the chances for that happening was even slimmer when Malfoy was involved. But amazingly, Ron lowered his wand. He was breathing heavily and his hand twitched to curse Malfoy, but he turned away and walked back to the Entrance Hall.

Harry glanced in surprise at Hermione and they ran to catch up with their friend. There was a exclamnation from Malfoy as he was dragged along against his will.

“Wow, Ron, that was fantastic!” Harry said enthusiastically. The redhead grinned at Harry amd Hermione who were watching him with new found respect.

“Thanks,” Ron said happily. “I figured if you can try to hold your temper then so can I,” he said to Harry.

“That’s great, Ron,” Hermione said with a contented sigh. “

“Keeping your temper under control is a pretty big task,” Harry said teasingly. Hermione nodded as Ron’s blush rose up again.

“The Weasley temper is famous. It takes more control to keep it down,” Hermione said. “I’m proud of you Ron Weasley.”

From a few feet behind them Malfoy made a gagging noise. Ron’s shoulders stiffened slightly but he calmed a minute later.

They made it to the the Great Hall without any more fighting. Harry was dripping and Malfoy was slightly wet and very disgruntled. Ron headed straight to Gryffindor table with Hermione but Harry and Malfoy went upstairs.

Hermione sent Malfoy’s bed back in the dormitory with Harry. It was drawing a lot of laughter. The same could be said for Malfoy’s underdressed state, much to the teen’s embarrassment. He had conjured a bath robe, admitting sulkily that he did not know how to conjure up a real robe.

They went in opposite directions once they reached their dormitory. Malfoy fetched clothes and headed off to the bathroom to get dressed in privacy. He still looked pretty grumpy when he left but Harry was not extremely worried. When he got back to the Slytherin rooms, then he would be worried.

They were back in the Great Hall within a few minutes. Malfoy was looking immaculate as ever when he had returned from the bathroom. Harry had been ready to leave and have the bond drag Malfoy out of the bathroom but he had finally come along.

Walking through the Great Hall doors, Harry was met with some cheers from his friends. The prank on Malfoy had been spread around already. News always spread fast so Harry was not that surprised.

Harry almost stumbled when he was slapped on the back by Fred and George, who had come up behind him. “Brilliant mate,” Fred said.

“If you ever need a job as prankster apprentice come see us,” George said with a grin in Malfoy’s direction.

Malfoy was not even trying to keep his expression calm. He was furious that he had been embarrassed and was not afraid to show it. Malfoy strode toward the table pulling Harry away from Hannah, who had stopped to talk to him. Harry looked despairingly at Hannah, who was looking amused and slightly worried for her friend’s sake.

The black-haired teen understood her worry. He was worried for himself as well. There was no wrath like an angry Malfoy’s.

The Gryffindors leaned away from Malfoy as he sat ungraciously at the table. The way Malfoy slammed a spoonful of oatmeal on his plate was warning enough. Harry did not know it was possible to show emotion while eating until he watched Malfoy.

The blond ripped apart his toast viciously and spilled pumpkin juice as he slammed his glass down. It seemed that unlike Harry and Ron, Malfoy was not trying to control his anger.

Hermione seemed amused at Malfoy’s anger and Ron was happily smug. Harry on the other hand was about to shout at Malfoy. The blond’s food and drink kept landing on him due to his current loss of table manners. It was not like Malfoy to be so haphazard with food. He usually acted like the aristocrat he was at the table.

The people who had seen just what had happened outside were telling the tale to everyone else. Dumbledore was smiling at the Head Table, but Umbridge looked as unpleasant as ever.

Harry frowned. I wonder what she will try to do to to us on Monday. He wondered with trepidation. Harry looked over at Hermione. He really needed to talk to her about the article. As far as Harry was concerned, the sooner they could get the news out about Umbridge’s abuse, the better. Wondering where or when she would pop up at was grating on his nerves.

Harry tried to divert his thoughts away from Umbridge. He still had to learn Occlumency and study the book from his future self which still had pages he had not even looked at. And he had to do this without attracting Malfoy’s attention.

The DA needed to be sorted out because Harry really wanted to learn how to protect himself better. If Voldemort was planning on attacking soon, he wanted to be prepared.

“So, what are we going to do today?” Ron asked, speaking to no one in particular.

Hermione spoke up. “We need to find the brasious plant for our Herbology.” Before they could complain she continued.

“It would be the perfect day to do that, and we can spend some time outside. We’ve been stuck inside Hogwarts for days,” she said in an almost pleading tone. “I have the same homework,” Malfoy said. “If we get it done I won’t have to drag Potter outside later.”

Ron looked at Harry, asking for his opinion without speaking. Harry shrugged. “The more homework we can get done with the better,” he said.

Hermione smiled at Harry before looking at Ron, who sighed. “I guess the quicker we get it done the more time we’ll have to do everything else.”

…………………………

The three Gryffindors and Malfoy headed outside. Malfoy was giving them the silent treatment now although he had not been quiet about complaining a few minutes ago.

He did not want to go outside where he, ‘might get dirty’ because it was, ‘a muddy zoo’. Harry had laughed at Malfoy making the blond snarled at him. “Just wait, Potter,” he had muttered.

Now Malfoy was subdued. He had to admit that he needed to get his Herbolgy homework done as well. The after-rain smell made Harry breath deeply. It was beautiful outside and Harry would not let his light-hearted mood be disturbed by a moody brat.

They walked along the edge of the forest looking for the plant. “What does it look like again Hermione?”

Hermione sighed and was going to reply but Malfoy cut in. “It’s dark green, but has a bright red stem. It’s about this tall and likes shade,” Malfoy said without scorn.

Hermione blinked, it seemed Malfoy had gotten over his earlier grudge ands was actually trying to be helpful. Ron looked surprised and glanced at Harry.

Harry shook his head and Ron continued looking for the plant. It was more difficult to find than Harry thought it would be.

They searched around the forest floor for ages and even peered into the Forbidden Forest. But they didn’t have any luck.

They trailed away from the forest and passed Hagrid’s hut. Harry wanted to stop and say hello to his large friend but did not think Malfoy would like that idea. Harry was going back to the Slytherin rooms tonight and he already knew that Malfoy was no doubt going to do something terrible to him for the water bed prank.

Although the pranking had all been in fun, Harry wondered if he should try to stop it. Maybe create a truce until the bond thing was done with. Playing pranks on each other probably was not what Dumbledore was hoping for, Harry thought dryly.

Was the reason he was in this bond because Dumbledore really did want them to settle their differences? That was like telling Snape not to take points. But if Harry and Malfoy got along for a while, maybe the bond would be removed.

Harry could always hope. He was not exactly comfortable with Malfoy being around him all the time, and he knew that the Slytherin would say the same about him.

For a minute Harry wondered if there was anything that Malfoy had not been able to do since Harry had been around. Did he have secret plans that could not be revealed to anyone other then his friends? Malfoy could be in the same situation as Harry was--with a few minor differences. Harry was sure that Malfoy’s future self had not come back to warn him of a terrible future.

They were passing the bridge now that went across the lake. It was far below them, just over a sharp cliff. Malfoy did not get too close to the edge but looked out from a distance.

Harry glanced over with Ron and Hermione. The lake was wide, much larger then the one the giant squid lived in. It was beautiful. The water sparkled in the sun. Harry wondered if there were any magical beings under the calm surface.

“Is there anything living under there Hermione? Besides fish, that is,” Harry asked as they walked along the edge carefully.

Hermione’s brow furrowed. “I don’t know,” she said and Ron gaped at her dramatically.

“You don’t know?” he said incredulously and Hermione sighed. “What is the world coming to!” Ron cried out dramatically and Harry looked over at Malfoy who seemed pleased.

They walked a little while longer and Harry was starting to wonder if they were ever going to find the plant. He and the rest of them were stuck between the edge that fell over into the lake far below and a small cliff.

Harry wandered over to the cliff and looked down. It did not jut down like the one next to the lake but instead went down smoothly. Like the rain had taken away any jagedness out of it. Harry was surprised to see a valley just down the hill. It had tall grass in between small trees and a few ferns.

He was further surprised to see a red stemed plant hiding under one of those ferns.

“Hey!” he exclaimed excitedly. His friends and Malfoy turned. “I think I see the brasious plant,” Harry said.

Hermione’s glum expression brightened immediately as she ran over with the other two right behind her. She stepped up behind Harry and looked at where he was pointing. Seeing the plant, Hermione clapped her hands together happily.

“But mate, how are we going to get all the way down there?” Ron asked as he looked down.

Harry bit his lip. “I don’t know.” He leaned over slightly to look left and try to see a way down. “Maybe we can climb--” Harry’s sentence was cut off as the dirt beneath him gave away.

“Harry!” Hermione screamed and reached for him. The thing was that Harry was going down and Hermiones weight was not going to stop him, even when Ron added to that weight.

Hermione rached widely with her other hand and grabbed onto the Malfoy’s cloak. Together they went over the small hill and tumbled down. Harry ended up sliding on his rear down the hill at a fast speed.

He came to a jerky stop that threw him down on his face. Then Ron landed on him, making him gasp and try to escape the redhead’s weight.

Malfoy and Hermione bumped into them making Ron groan. Harry managed to push Ron off him. Seeing their expressions he smiled. “Wow,” he said in mock awe. “Let’s do that again!”

Striding off toward the hill Harry was stopped when Ron, Hermione and Malfoy yelled, “No!” Two hands grabbed Harry’s, ankle making him fall.

Harry laughed at them as they tried to straighten themselves up. The four of them were covered in mud and Ron fell back into the mud when he saw Malfoy. His usually perfect hair was coated in mud and Malfoy himself looked horrified. “Bloody hell, Potter!” he exclaimed. “I’m going to kill you!

Harry frowned. “I did not drag you down the hill and we found the stupid plant,” he said while pointing. Malfoy looked furious.

“I’m going to tear you and your idiotic frends to pieces and then give them to Snape for potions and then--” Malfoy’s ranting was cut off as Harry threw a handfull of mud at him. Malfoy stared at the mud on his chest and face and looked back at Harry. His mouth was shut now but he looked dangerous.

The mud-covered blond bent over gracefully and scooped up a fistful of mud that dripped past his fingers. Harry’s eyes widened. “Malfoy, what--” this time Harry was the one covered in mud.

Malfoy crossed his arms and raised a mud covered eyebrow. “Yes Potter?”

Harry’s mouth betrayed him and he smiled. “You want to play liker that, eh?”

Malfoy almost smiled. “Can’t handle it, Potter?

Harry laughed and fired. A few minutes later nothing in a fifteen feet radius was not brown. The trees had even suffered from Harry’s and Malfoy’s actions.

They were panting and absolutely filthy. Hermione and Ron had wisely kept out of the way and Hermione had reached the plant before Harry and Malfoy. So it was kept safely in the bag Hermione kept over her shoulder.

Together they headed back to the school laughing at each other. “Filch is going to freak,” Malfoy muttered as he stared down at himself in disgust.

Harry snickered. “You don’t know any cleaning spells? I thought you were good in charms?”

Malfoy seemed to straighten at the praise making Ron roll his eyes. “I am,” Malfoy said smugly. “I just don’t know any spells for this sort of damage,” he muttered with a chuckle.

The sun was about to set soon and Harry was hungry. It had been a good day so far but he still had to practice Occlumency with Malfoy. And since the blond’s job was to irritate Harry until his concetration broke, he wondered how he was going to guard his mind tonight.

Chapter End Notes:
Malfoy's not being a good sport, should I dump him back in the lake?