Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 13: Wisdom From Yourself

The group was still dripping mud when they made it to Hogwart’s front doors. Harry had suggested that they take a dip in the lake, but Malfoy had refused, saying, “I’ve had enough of the lake to last me a lifetime.”

Hermione would not agree to cast cleaning charms on them, saying it was their fault for starting a mud fight in the first place.

So that was how they entered the main entrance: covered in mud. The Great Hall was full of chattering students, but luckily, the Gryffindors and Malfoy were hidden from view by two large doors. “Maybe we can get to the tower without being seen,” Harry said hopefully.

It was not to be. They had just made it to the second floor when Snape appeared around a corner. He stopped short at he sight of the Gryffindors and Malfoy. Snape blinked and Harry knew that he was surprised. It was over in a second and Snape was on them like a dog on a bone.

“What did you get into this time, Potter?” he asked disgustedly. Harry winced and he felt Ron and Hermione taking an almost unnoticeable step back. Thanks guys, he thought sarcastically.

“We--fell in the mud sir…multiple times,” Harry said sheepishly. Snape raised an eyebrow in obvious disbelief. “Must have been a lot of mud,” he muttered with a shake of his head.

Harry was staring at the man, Was he actually joking? he wondered. Harry was stopped from staring at the man as he spoke.

“Get to your tower before I decide to take points,” he said threateningly. Harry decided not to test Snape’s patience and left quickly.

“Yes sir, thank you sir,” Harry said. His rather pathetic apology brought Dobby to mind, but he pushed that thought away. After meeting Snape, they all ran to the tower and avoided much attention.

“I can’t believe he let us go!” Ron said in awe. They were now back in the warm, empty common room.

Malfoy rolled his eyes. “We stink Weasley. You may not have noticed because you always smell like this, but Snape definitely smelt us.”

Hermione nodded and crinkled her nose. “His toes were probably curling inside those boots,” she said with a giggle.

Harry nodded; the statement was most likely not far from the truth. The metal image of Snape’s toes though, made him grimace. Although he did wonder what kind of socks the man wore.

Harry and Draco ran toward the boys’ shower, leaving an annoyed Hermione to clean up the mess left behind. Many minutes later they were clean and Malfoy looked extremely relieved about it. Watching Malfoy inspect his arms for dirt, Harry thought that growing up, Malfoy had probably never been dirty for fun.

Unlike Malfoy, Harry had made mud pies and offered them to Dudley when he was little. It had been fun to him, spending hours making ‘masterpieces.’

They had grown up in entirely different environments. The Malfoys, after all, were an old aristocratic family. Draco Malfoy had probably never known the joy of playing in dirt.

To Harry’s surprise, he found himself feeling sad at this latest consideration. Playing outside and especially getting dirty had been fun to him. The highlight of his younger days involved a dirt castle.

Although, Harry was sure Malfoy had probably had many toys. He had probably never found the need to wander outside.

“What are you staring at Potter?” Malfoy crossed his arms over his chest. He was glaring at Harry who had been in the act of tying his shoe for the past several minutes. He had abandoned the task for staring at Malfoy and thinking of mud.

“Nothing, just thinking.” Malfoy was suspicious but he left the matter alone. Harry decided to put aside private deliberations with himself until he was alone. There was no need to make a fool of himself in the process.

They headed down to dinner together where they ate to their heart’s content.

Harry was almost finished when an owl landed next to him. He freed it of his burden and it flew off. He unrolled the short message.

I would like it if you and Mister Malfoy would please sleep in the Gryffindor dormitories tonight.

Yours Sincerely,

Professor Dumbledore

Harry frowned and looked up at the head table. Dumbledore met his gaze and nodded at Harry.

“What is it, Potter?” Malfoy asked him. Harry told and Malfoy frowned grumbling about unfairness as he turned back to his food.

Harry was sure there was more to the message but did not push it, he was happy to stay with his friends for another night.

………………………………..

“Focus, Potter!”

Harry growled at Malfoy, who looked unimpressed. He was bored already. Harry had not been able to clear his mind yet. They had already spent twenty minutes at the task Snape had assigned them. So far, it had only helped Harry get a headache.

Together they had snuck away from the rest of the Gryffindors and hid in the dormitory. There was a locking charm on the door to keep any unwanted people from barging in. Harry knew it would look suspicious if anyone was to try to get in the room. He just hoped that they would be left alone long enough to get done. All Harry had to do was clear in mind in Malfoy’s presence, then he was free. That was the rule Malfoy had laid down when they entered the room. “Clear you mind and keep it that way for a while and I’ll leave you alone after that.”

Malfoy had patience for the first ten minutes and was enjoying the act of diverting Harry’s attention from clearing his mind. Now though, Malfoy was bored and his insults were getting nastier. Harry was ready to bring out his wand and curse the young man.

“I’m trying,” he said petulantly.

“Obviously you are not trying hard enough. Snape is wasting his time,” Malfoy snapped back.

Harry frowned. “Don’t say that, Malfoy.” The idea that all this was in vain made Harry feel ill.

The Slytherin crossed his arms. “Why should I? It’s the truth; you’re wasting his time and mine.”

“I’m trying! It’s the best I can do, okay?” Harry was getting mad. He was trying; he knew what was at stake.

“You have to do more then try, Potter. You have to clear your mind; it’s the main step in learning Occlumency.” Malfoy was starting to calm himself back down.

Harry took a deep breath and ran his fingers through his hair. “Can we try that again?” Malfoy nodded tiredly.

The green-eyed boy sat on his bed and folded his legs underneath him. Closing his eyes, Harry tried to remember the details of his room. The safe place he had found himself was always warm. He imagined a fire that was always burning, and Harry could almost feel the comforting heat.

The blankets wrapped around him, comforting and homey. Home, this is what Harry imagined it would feel like. Safe and at peace, where no one could touch him with the intent of harm.

Someone was knocking on his bedroom door. Harry frowned. It was Malfoy and the prat had managed to grab his attention.

His concentration had been broken. Harry’s safe place was disappearing around him. The strong hold which had felt unbreakable had been broken.

Malfoy was studying him with a finger on his chin. “That was better, Potter. Try it again but this time concentrate.

I was concentrating, Malfoy, Harry thought but he settled back down. His safe place came back quickly. He was aware now of Malfoy lurking around the outsides of his room. It was a bad feeling, like danger was lurking right outside.

Harry told himself that no one could get inside. The door was made of steel. His mind was made of steel and it would not be broken.

Malfoy pulled away and he looked a little surprised. “I did it?’ Harry asked as he stood. Malfoy nodded. “Yes, you finally managed. I couldn’t find any holes or cracks in your shield.”

“My shield?” Harry asked. He had been in his safe place but there had been no shield, only the door could be considered a shield. “You had a metal shield around your mind. I could not breach it,” Malfoy said.

Harry still looked confused. “I don’t remember putting up a shield.” Malfoy sat on his bed to undo his shoes.

“You will not notice yourself doing it until your better. Now you may do it my accident. You don’t have control over it yet,” Malfoy said. “We will have to work harder at getting you aware of your mind. Just thinking things can make them happen. Get control over you thoughts and you will have mastered it.”

It sounded quite difficult to Harry. Malfoy seemed to understand it, though, so it could not be too hard.

Harry wanted to go back downstairs but Malfoy gave him a look that promised pain when he headed to the door. Rolling his eyes, Harry unlocked the door and sat back on his bed.

What could he do now? Do I dare bring out my book? Malfoy was caught up in writing a letter. Harry bit his lip and made a decision. If Malfoy noticed Harry fetch something from his trunk; he did not say anything about it.

Harry wondered if it would look suspicious to close his curtains. Closing them might look like he had something to hide, which he did. Malfoy did not need to know that, though.

He decided that he was probably over-thinking the situation and turned over on his stomach to read. The book was worn from his handling, especially the pages that contained worrisome problems.

There were pages that he had not ventured to. In fact, Harry was not sure he wanted to read those mysterious pages. Would they hold information that would make his job harder?

Knowing he had to look sooner or later, Harry flipped to the unread pages.

Harry’s future self wrote:

I’m sorry this book seems so grim, Harry. I live in grim times and it gets to you after awhile. I wish I could tell you everything that’s going to happen. That would probably mess the future up more than fix it, though. I know this must be frustrating for you. Frustrating is probably toning it down a bit. You have noticed that Dumbledore won’t look at you anymore more. I know you still feel hurt about that. The grim truth is that there is more to worry about than a few hurt feelings. This is war, although you may not know it now. The adults are trying to keep you out of it. I don’t blame them for it and neither should you. I know you want to help and fight, to protect your real family. You will have your chance; I wish we had had a better childhood and more time to grow up. I’m sorry to say that you don’t have time to grow up. I bet I sound like some stern old man, don’t I?

Harry grinned sadly at the book and continued reading.

I guess I should stop droning and write some important stuff down. This is a handbook after all. This next thing does not directly involve the war, but it is important to me.

Malfoy shifted in his spot and Harry’s head jerked up. He watched as Malfoy settled into a more comfortable position before looking back at the book.

Hug Remus and Sirius for me.

Harry blinked in surprise. What? he thought. He could understand Sirius, but did Remus die as well?

I never showed them how much they meant to me. Never got the chance to. The few times I saw Sirius were short and he was busy trying to make himself useful. So next time you see them, and hopefully it will be soon, hug them. You never know when you might get a chance to do it again; some people never get another chance. So love them while you can, Harry, or you will wish you had done it later.

The page ended there and Harry did not move to turn it. He had the sudden urge to hug someone. Preferably Sirius or Remus, Harry thought. He hardly had anybody left that cared for him. Sirius was the only adult who had shown a bit of care except for Mrs. Weasley. Harry was sure that Mrs. Weasley only did it because she felt sorry for him.

Remus was more like a friendly teacher to Harry than a friend. He liked the man and felt happy when he was around, but Remus was not a parent figure. He was not around enough to be one for Harry.

I would still be--heartbroken if he died, though, Harry thought. He knew it was the truth when his heart literally hurt at the thought. Remus still had a life to live and Harry wanted to see if the man would ever get married.

Harry loved him, almost as much as Sirius. He knew that Sirius loved Remus like a brother. They were the only friends left for each other and if one were to die…. Harry sighed softly.

He did not know what he would do without Sirius. He was still hoping the man would let him stay with him. That idea was not looking to promising, though.

Harry did not know why that was either. Sirius wanted him to stay with him. Didn’t he?

“What’s the frown for, Potter?” Malfoy asked unexpectedly.

Jumping in surprise, Harry turned and looked at Malfoy with a frown. “No, I was just…thinking.”

Harry knew he must of sounded weird for Malfoy stared at him. Wrinkles appeared on his forehead and his gaze trailed to the book grasped in Harry’s hands. “What’s that?”

Malfoy’s voice was a little too casual. Harry was instantly on alert. “Just a book, written by a someone who was Muggle-raised. It’s quite good….”

Nose crinkled in disgust, Malfoy sneered. “Anything written by that filth would not interest me.”

 Sure it wouldn’t, Malfoy, Harry thought. The fact that he was tricking the Slytherin was funny to Harry. He wished he could tell his friends about it.

“But Malfoy, I was raised by Muggles. Don’t you like me?” Harry asked. His innocent tone had Malfoy rolling his eyes but he did not reply.

Harry smirked to himself. Sometimes being an almost Slytherin had its good times. It was good that Malfoy had taken the bait; hopefully the blond would not bring up the book again.

Harry went back to his book hoping for some happier matieral to read. With all the grimness Harry wanted some good news. Having read most of the book, he did not have much hope.

I realize now as I write the last few pages, that I have written nothing to inspire you. Everything written has been grimmer and sadder then Trelawneys prophecies.

Harry smiled. Great minds think alike, he thought.

There are some things that I could say to lighten your load. For example, Dudley will miss you when you leave the Dursleys.

Harry froze in surprise. Dudley would miss him? Are we both thinking of the same Dudley, Harry wondered. Dudley Dursley hated him; he was Harry’s childhood tormentor. Yet, Harry had just been told this by a man that would not lie about something like this.

He had no reason to, and Harry wanted to believe him. It was hard to believe but Harry did not really know Dudley. Maybe he was an okay guy

Harry snorted and decided that he was going crazy. Ask Aunt Petunia about a trunk when you see her next, future Harry wrote. She will know what you mean. Harry did not stop to think that over; he would know when he went back to the Dursleys.

Spend some more time with Hermione. You owe her a lot. She deserves some attention.

Harry smiled, Hermione did deserve attention. Maybe he could do that now….

“Hey Malfoy, would you mind reading downstairs in the common room?”

………………………………....

A few minutes later, after physically wrestling Malfoy down the stairs, Harry was in the common room.

Hermione was the only one left besides Harry and Malfoy. Ron had been talking with the other boys in another dormitory and everyone else was also getting ready for bed.

Malfoy was reading a book as far away from Harry and Hermione as possible.

Hermione smiled at Harry right now and he grinned back. He was in the process of his first knitting lesson and Hermione was thrilled. Although the thing Harry was producing from his needles looked nothing like a hat, he was at least trying.

“That looks--brilliant Harry!” Hermione said. Harry had to respect her for trying not to laugh.

Harry held up the mess of tangled string humorously. “I feel sorry for the elf who wears this,” he chuckled.

She laughed and Malfoy looked up, shook his head, and looked back down at the book. Harry grinned at Malfoy and traded a look with Hermione.

That night Harry slept well had no trouble clearing his mind.

Chapter End Notes:
I need a title for this chapter. My mind is dead. There is some SNAPE coming soon to a computer moniter near you!