Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 14: The Attack

It happened suddenly. The event was expected, but still came as a surprise to Harry. He was woken early in the morning by Professor McGonagall. The light only starting to shine through the windows.

“Wake up, Potter, Weasley, Finnigan! Up, up now!” McGonagall said in an alarmed tone. Harry blinked his eyes open confusedly. The sleep had been restful. Why was he being woken from it?

The professor looked to have dressed hurriedly and her normally neat bun was in disarray.

“What’s the matter, professor?“ Harry asked sleepily as he sat up. Looking around the room he saw Malfoy and the other boys getting up as well.

They all looked confused, Ron was clutching the sheets to his chest as he blinked rapidly.

“Voldemort is going to attack the school. We’re evacuating the students. Get dressed now, Potter; we have but a short time.” The words woke Harry up immediately and he stared after her retreating back.

Professor McGonagall moved out of the room and towards the common room, holding her robes up to avoid tripping as she hurried. Harry’s roommates had frozen at McGonagall’s words. Most were pale with fright.

Ron looked at Harry with undisguised fear before moving to get dressed. They were hasty and Seamus accidentally put on Neville’s clothes. The Irish boy apologized to Neville, but did not bother to change because he was so frantic.

Harry realized that this was the reason Dumbledore had made him and Malfoy sleep in Gryffindor. The Headmaster had been expecting an attack.

Harry got up, joined them, and was ready to go in a matter of minutes. He shrunk his trunk and put it in his pocket. The other boys saw and did the same before they ran down the stairs. The common room was in chaos. Younger students were frightened and did not know what to do; older students were trying to control the younger students. They also looked scared witless, some looking ready to hyperventilate.

Harry caught a glimpse of Hermione trying to calm things down. She did not seem to be getting anywhere. “Students!” McGonagall called in an amplified voice and everyone quieted.

“I want you all in lines of two from the first years to the seventh years, now!” The students complied hurriedly and Harry jumped to get in place. “We are leaving the room and going down to my office in an orderly fashion,” McGonagall said sternly.

Malfoy jumped in line beside Harry, looking nervous. Their eyes met and Harry saw that Malfoy was just as scared as he was himself. They were led downstairs neatly but quickly.

Half way there, Harry a firm hand grabbed Harry’s shoulder. He was pulled out of the line by Snape. Malfoy, held by the bond, stopped, too. “You are being sent to stay with your Muggle relatives, Potter,” Snape said hurriedly as he glanced around.

Harry looked at the professor questioningly and the man spoke again. His words made Harry’s blood run cold. “The headmaster believes that the attack may just be away to divert attention from your residence, Potter,” Snape said heavily.

Malfoy gaped. “Then why are we being sent there!” The exasperated tone made Snape glare and Malfoy was subdued to silence.

“The Dursleys house is being watched closely by Order members. And there is protection over that house, shields cast by Dumbledore himself. They may try to attack but they will not breach the shield. Dumbledore has assured the order of this. If anything does happen, like they do attack. The Order has a counter-attack prepared, the neighboring houses will not be harmed. You must stay within the borders of the house, an attack is more likely if you are with their sight. Am I clear?”

Harry nodded. “Yes sir, no one will reach us.”

Snape nodded. “I want you, Potter, occluding to the best of your capabilities until these unexpected events are taken care of,” Snape said. Both his heavy hands were laid on Harry’s shoulders, his grasp tight but not hurtful. Harry found it oddly comforting if a bit strange. At this moment they were not foes; they were mentor and student both fighting for the same thing.

“I’ll do my best and better, sir,” Harry said truthfully. For a second Snape looked pleased, then his mask fell back in place.

A spy is never to show his emotions, Harry thought. Snape nodded to him. “Catch up with McGonagall, Potter, Malfoy.” With that, he was gone.

They ran to McGonagall’s office. The Floo was waiting for them, already lit and ready to transport the students.

“You will be sent immediately to a safe holding place where your parents will pick you up. I want two students in the Floo at a time,” McGonagall said. The students started going through the Floo while McGonagall pulled Harry out of the line. Malfoy was pulled over as well, but he looked too worried to be irritated.

“I’m sending you and Mr. Malfoy through last. You will be going back to your aunt’s house.” Harry nodded in understanding.

“What about the animals, like Hedwig. What will happen to them?” he asked.

“They’re all taken care of, Potter,” she said with a pat to his hand before moving again.

“I don’t want to go to a Muggle’s house!” Malfoy said harshly to Harry.

“I don’t either, Malfoy, but it’s not our decision to make,” Harry said and Malfoy gave him a puzzled look.

Harry gritted his teeth and turned away. The fourth years were going through the Floo now but it seemed to be going extremely slowly to Harry.

Mr. Weasley and Remus came into the office. The Weasley children ran to their father while Remus made his way to Harry.

He looked just like Harry remembered, maybe a little more serious then normal, but that was expected.

Remus did not even glance at as he smiled sadly at Harry. “Hey Remus,” Harry said. Remus’s arms engulfed him in a hug by his old professor. Harry sighed into the man’s warm shoulder. Hadn’t he wished for a hug just last night? Now he was getting one, if only it was under different circumstances.

“Sirius wanted to come, but Professor Dumbledore refused,” Remus whispered.

Harry nodded. “I would rather him stay safe, anyway,” he mumbled.

Remus let go of him and glanced at Malfoy. “Mr. Malfoy,” he said in greeting. Harry wondered if Dumbledore had told Remus about the bond. The werewolf did not seem surprised to see Malfoy.

Malfoy nodded back hesitantly but did not speak. Remus turned back to Harry. “I was wondering if I could borrow the map. It might come on handy if the castle walls are breached,” he said.

Harry’s eyes widened. He hoped it would not come to that but he would help anyway he could. “Of course,” he exclaimed taking the shrunken trunk out of his pocket. Remus chuckled, seeing it.

“I’m glad you came prepared,” he said as Harry dug the map out.

“Constant vigilance,” he said with a grin and handed the map to Remus.

The man chuckled appreciatively. “Moody would be proud to hear you say that,” he said before sighing. “Speaking of Moody, he’s going to skin me alive if I don’t get back. Take care, Harry,” Remus said.

“I will, Remus. You do the same,” Harry said and the man nodded before leaving.

“You’re buddies with the werewolf?” Malfoy asked with a raised eyebrow. Harry glared at him and watched at the Weasleys were sent through the Floo without their father. They had been kept second to last. Hermione was already gone and Mr. Weasley left the room to join Remus.

Harry and Malfoy were left alone with McGonagall, who was gesturing them to come forward. “Come along, boys. We have to get you out of here,” she said impatiently.

Harry and Malfoy were ushered into the Floo. “You might want Malfoy to hide under your Invisibility cloak, Mr. Potter. I don’t think your relatives will be very gracious about having another wizard in their home,” McGonagall said dryly.

Harry nodded and got the cloak out from his trunk.

Malfoy looked at it curiously before covering himself and disappearing. “Good. I’ll see you both after we win the battle,” McGonagall said with a rare smile.

The green flames engulfed them and they were on their way. A second later the fire deposited them onto the rug of the Dursleys’ living room. Harry had landed awkwardly, but heard Malfoy stepping out of the fire gracefully.

“Don’t say a word,” Harry growled quietly. He could tell Malfoy was smirking, although he could not see him.

It’s a good thing Uncle Vernon left the fireplace alone after that incident with the Weasleys, Harry thought. His relatives seemed to be away. They would have heard the sound of the Floo, but no one came.

Malfoy had come to the same conclusion. “Where are the Muggles?” he asked.

“Out, I guess,” Harry said with a shrug.

He was glad that the Dursleys were not home. It made it easier to dump his stuff in his room and hide Malfoy. Harry knew that Malfoy was going to find out how bad his relatives were, and it would probably be soon. Sure, Malfoy had seen his memories, but seeing memories and witnessing the way they acted firsthand was different. Malfoy had not acted really badly about Harry’s relatives; a few taunts were nothing compared to some of his other remarks.

Harry wondered if Malfoy just did not care or if he felt sorry for him. The black-haired boy did not want pity; he was more used to disdainfulness and people ignoring him.

Hopefully the battle at Hogwarts will be over with soon and I can get him out of here, Harry thought. Malfoy had taken off the cloak and hung it on his shoulder like a cape. He moved to look at the pictures that littered every surface. Petunia was very proud of her family, or at least the ones that were Muggles.

Malfoy was staring in distaste at a picture of Dudley. It was a recent picture and Dudley was sitting on his new bicycle.

Harry shifted uncomfortable. The Dursleys could walk in any moment and their reaction to Malfoy was not something Harry wanted the blond the see.

“Let’s put our stuff upstairs,” Harry said. “I don’t know when they’ll be back.”

Malfoy frowned and moved toward the kitchen without answering. Harry sighed and followed before the bond could pull him.

His tormentor was looking around in wary curiosity. “I though Muggles were disgusting and vile,” Harry said sarcastically.

Malfoy snorted. “They are, but if I’m going to stay here I want to know where everything is--what is that!”

Harry rolled his eyes. Malfoy’s awe was inspired by a vacuum Petunia had probably been using on the carpet earlier. It was sitting in the corner and Malfoy looked at it, distrusting the Muggle invention.

Harry stepped over to it with Malfoy following. Standing next to Harry, Malfoy looked the machine over. “It’s hideous,” he said bluntly. At that moment, Harry turned the vacuum on.

The loud whirring sound made Malfoy jump. “Stop it!” he exclaimed and Harry did so, laughing the whole time.

“It’s a vacuum, Malfoy. It cleans carpets and is usually loud,” Harry said cheerfully.

“That was rude, Potter.” Harry smiled and moved out of the kitchen.

“You were asking for it,” he said, climbing the stairs.

The locks on Harry’s bedroom door were still there. Harry tried not to look at them as he opened the door but Malfoy was openly staring at them. “You uh…like your privacy, Potter?” he asked. Harry did not say anything for a moment, his hand still on the doorknob.

“The locks are to keep me in, not the other way around,” he said before entering.

The room was just like Harry remembered it: a small twin-sized bed which his feet hung over, dirty walls, and no furniture except for a desk and wobbly chair.

The light that hung from the ceiling was almost dead. Harry knew this and just left it off, the light coming through the windows was enough for now.

Harry moved to look out of the window for a second. The yard was the same. Nothing changed on Privet Drive.

Malfoy was staring around the room. Everything was studied for a moment, Harry sat on the bed and waited. The grey eyes moved over Dudley’s crayon markings that littered the walls. They had been there for years; Petunia had not bothered to remove them once Harry moved in. He was not worth the trouble, or so she said.

“How long must I stay in this dump,” Malfoy drawled as he looked under the bed coming up with a sick expression. “There is at least an inch of dust and dirt on the floor,” he said slowly.

Harry raised an eyebrow. “Your point?”

“I’m not staying here; can’t you find me another room? You sleep next door, right? I can sleep with you,” Malfoy said sounding flustered and on the verge of a fit.

Harry blinked and laughed. “This is my bedroom, Malfoy. Who did you think slept here?”

Malfoy looked around the room again. “The servants?” he guessed, a then a look of comprehension spread over his face--a look that was more for himself than Harry.

“Muggles don’t usually have servants unless they’re really wealthy, like royalty,” Harry explained slowly. Although, sometimes I am the servant around here, Harry thought. He was not going to share that thought with Malfoy, though. If it was not for the bond, Harry’s secrets would be known halfway around the world.

“I hope we don’t have to stay here long, Potter. You may be used to living the Muggle lifestyle, but I am not.” Looking around the room Malfoy made a face. “Hopefully I will never live like a Muggle,” he said with an artificial shudder.

Harry took his trunk out, frowning as he realized he could not un-shrink it. “You can look at the other rooms if you’re curious, just get back in here quick if you hear a car.”

Puzzled, Malfoy opened his mouth but closed it, sighing. He left leaving Harry alone for the moment. Malfoy was not far, less than ten feet away but it was a little bit of privacy for Harry.

He took the moment to lie down on the bed and curl up slightly. It was slightly cold in the room with the air conditioning on. Harry wrapped his arms around himself shivering momentarily and the cool matieral brushed his skin. A rumbling sound from his stomach made Harry groan. At least Malfoy had not heard his stomach, that would have been embarrassing.

Why didn’t I unshrink my trunk before getting in the Floo? Harry sighed to himself. He would have to steal some food from the kitchen. The Dursleys would probably be too mad to feed him once they found out he had returned.

Harry closed his eyes with a sigh. Right now at least he could try to relax, if only for a moment. Closing his eyes felt wonderful and he wished he could sleep having been woken up early.

“Your cousin’s room is next to yours?” Malfoy asked from the doorway. Harry did not sit up to answer. “Yes.”

Malfoy came into the room again. Harry’s Invisibility cloak was still hanging on his shoulder. Harry watched him through half-open lids; he wanted to take his cloak back but knew that Malfoy would need it.

Malfoy risked sitting in the chair and it creaked warningly. Harry’s lips turned up in a half smile. The sound of a car coming up the road made Harry still and Malfoy look around.

“What’s--” Harry cut him off with a quick “Shh!”

They waited in silence as the car got nearer and then turned up the driveway of number four. “Wonderful.” Harry sighed and stood.

The Dursleys were home. It was time for Harry to go downstairs and meet them. He knew they would not welcome him. He just hoped Malfoy would not memorize everything that would go on.

Malfoy had heard the fron door open and flung the cloak over his body. “Come on,” Harry muttered. “Keep quiet. One peep and we’re doomed.”

Harry heard the flutter of matieral as Malfoy stood and he bit his lip.Taking a deep breath, Harry turned and made his way down the srtairs.

Petunia saw him first from her place next to the door. “Ahhh!” she shrieked in surprise. Uncle Vernon spun around from his place in the hallway to see what the commotion was for.

“Potter!” Vernon spat angrily his face turning pink. “What are you doing here? You’re supposed to stay in that freak school until summer. That’s at least a month away!”

Harry bit his lip again to hold back any anger. If he kept going like this, he would chew his lip right off. “The school is under attack. If everything goes well I should only be here for a day or two,” he said evenly.

“Under attack…?” Petunia questioned, looking reluctantly curious.

Vernon lifted his head. “By that Moldywarts fellow?” he asked stiffly.

Harry coughed into his hand to try and hide the snort of laughter from Malfoy. “Yeah, him,” he said, his voice a little too loud.

Petunia pursed her lips and looked around. Probably making sure all the windows are closed, Harry thought irritably.

“Well, I agree with him,” Vernon said. “That place should come to ruins. In fact, I hope it does,” he said decidedly.

Harry closed his eyes momentarily. “You would not be so eager if you knew what he was like. He hates Muggles. If he wins this war all of you will all die--”

“Are you threatening me, boy!” Vernon had breached pink and was verging on purple as he swelled up in anger.

“No!” Harry said in exasperation.

That did not calm Vernon, though. “Don’t you dare scream at me!” he yelled. With that statement he marched toward Harry and grabbed the teen by his arm.

“Vernon, not so loud!” Petunia hissed looking worried as she glanced between Harry and her husband.

Wrenching Harry’s arm, Vernon pulled him up the stairs ranting all the while. “We brought you in against our better judgement, fed you, clothed you, and gave you a place to sleep. Now you treat us like this! You had better be glad I’m a good man, Potter, or I would of beat you till you bled years ago!”

Harry gritted his teeth and tried to ignore the harsh words. They had reached Harry’s bedroom door and Vernon threw it open, tossing Harry inside.

His back crashed into the bed frame, causing pain to sear across through Harry. Vernon shut the door behind him and stepped into the room. The heavy man made his way toward the wary teen.

Vernon grabbed his collar. His uncle’s angry face filled Harry’s vision and he was slammed agaist the wall as he glared at Vernon.

“Don’t you look at me like that,” he shouted, slamming Harry into the wall again. “You will respect me boy for all I’ve done for you and everything I have not done…yet. If you cause us any trouble, I’ll have a belt against your back before you can speak.”

 

With that, he let go of Harry. The teen fell against the wall and watched as his uncle left stepped toward the door. “I want you out of those freaky clothes. Put on the clothes we gave you, boy. And don’t expect any food. Stay here and be quiet. Maybe we will decide you deserve something,” Vernon said.

He left the room slamming the door behind him. Knowing that the man would leave him alone for a while, Harry sunk to the floor.

It could have been worse, Harry thought as he rubbed his aching arm. The air shimmered in front of him and Harry jerked as Malfoy pulled the cloak off.

Scowling at him, Harry stood. “A little warning would have been nice.” Malfoy did not speak but sat on the bed, watching Harry.

Harry ran a hand through his hair looking around for something to break the uncomfortable silence. “I hope you’re not hungry. I won’t be able to get a hold on some food until night,” Harry said, looking sorry.

Malfoy shrugged. “Not really…how long do you think they will withhold food from you?”

“It depends on how mad they are,” Harry said, sitting on the bed beside Malfoy. Malfoy seemed a little surprised that Harry would sit next to him without being forced to, but he did not move away.

“It’s usually a day, and if they are really mad, two days,” he said with a shrug.

Malfoy blinked. “They do this often?” he asked sounding disbelieving.

“They have--short tempers.”

At the dry chuckle, Harry frowned. He was sitting in his room with none other then Draco Malfoy. Someone had a sense of humor, and Harry did not appreciate it.

Malfoy took out his miniature trunk, placed it at his feet and snapped his fingers. It returned to its full size making Harry yelp to Malfoy’s amusement.

“If they decide to starve you--” Malfoy started to say.

“Not starve,” Harry mumbled.

Malfoy rolled his eyes. “If they decide the hold back food until you eat your shoe, then maybe I’ll share my stash with you,” he said.

Harry perked up perceptibly. “Your stash?” he questioned curiously.

Malfoy nodded. “Not a lot of food mind you, so don’t dive in if it comes to that,” he said warningly. “I must be crazy for even considering sharing with you,” Malfoy shook his head.

Harry did not reply. Malfoy was actually being decent; he was scared that if he opened his mouth he might say the wrong thing. Then he could say ‘bye bye’ to Malfoy’s stash.

The sound of the front door opening and closing with a bang made Harry sit up straighter. “I’m home,” Dudley yelled from the hallway down stairs. There was a lot of talking and Harry could make out that they were going to eat lunch in the kitchen before he stopped listening.

He turned to see Malfoy ready to throw the cloak over himself if needed. “Dudley doesn’t come up here a lot,” he said reassuringly.

Malfoy nodded and put the cloak back in his lap running the material through his fingers. “I used to really want one of these,” he said quietly. “Where did you get it?”

“Heirloom,” Harry said. “It was my father’s.” Malfoy stood and went over to the window, leaving the cloak on thr bed. “We’ve only been here for a few hours and I’m already bored out of my skull,” he moaned. Malfoy spun around, “What do you do when youtr stuck here in the summer? Are you stuck in your room a lot?”

Harry nodded. “Yeah, I am. I’m sorry to say that there is really nothing to do around here.”

Malfoy sneered at him. “You just sit here all day?”

Harry tilted his head to the side in mock thought, “Yep,” he said with a grin. Malfoy grumbled something and Harry lay back down. It was going to be a long day.

Chapter End Notes:
I started a yahoo group because I'm just silly like that, (snicker). It needs new members, and I would love it if you would like to show of your stories in the file section, participate in polls, or just drop in to say hello. I try to post teasers of new chapters every update. So for a teaser of the next chapter come on over. The link is in my profile if anyone is interested.