Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7: Muggle Dueling

Harry stared into Snape’s eyes and had to fight down a gulp of fear at the look on his professor’s face.

What did I do now? Harry wondered as Snape turned away. And why in the world is it always me that seems to irritate the man the most?

Or, Harry wondered as Snape took out his ebony wand, is it just because he hates me?

Harry did not have anymore time to wonder about the mystery that was his Potions professor as instructions appeared on the board.

“I’m assigning you partners for this potion,” Snape said shortly as he took a roll of paper of his desk an unrolled it. Hermione, who was sitting beside Harry, stiffened. Harry glanced at her and could tell by her expression that she knew something was going on and she did not like it.

Harry took a subtle look around him and found that most of the Slytherins had smug or excited looks on their faces. They could all probably tell that Snape was not in a good mood today and that meant more point loss for the other house The dark haired teen knew before Snape called out his name that he was going to be matched with a certain Slytherin.

Hermione wandered off with a stifled sigh to sit with Pansy Parkinson as Snape called out her partner. Harry waited impatiently as all his friends were assigned to Slytherin partners.

“Potter, sit with Malfoy,” Snape finally said with a little bit more sneer in his voice than he had used naming all the other partners.

Harry stiffly gathered his bag and made his way over to Malfoy’s desk, as though he were walking to his death. Malfoy met his eyes with a sneer of pure disgust.

Harry saw Hermione watching him and Malfoy with a worried expression. Harry rolled his eyes for her to see and Hermione, being the good friend that she was, tried to smile. Even though it looked more like a grimace, it made Harry feel slightly better.

As Harry sat down, Malfoy scooted away, like Harry was a dirty dog. Since Harry was feeling particularly malicious today, he sat down closer to Malfoy than was needed. The black-haired teen felt immense satisfaction as Malfoy was forced to sit on the edge of the bench to keep away from Harry.

Malfoy must have notices Harry’s smug expression. The blond’s eyes widened as he realized what Harry had been doing and then narrowed his eyes with evil intent. Harry did not have time to ponder over what Malfoy was thinking as Snape started the class.

“This is a difficult potion and while many of you will undoubtedly fail,” Snape stared at Harry, “I do not want my classroom disrupted my some idiot’s mistake,” Snape said quietly.

“Is that clear?” the professor asked and an echoing, “Yes sir,” rang through the room.

Harry studied the instructions with narrowed eyes. Why does his handwriting need to be so small and cramped? Harry mentally grumbled. He could barely read his professor’s hand writing and Harry wondered if Snape wrote like that on purpose.

“Are you going to continue to stare at the blackboard all day, Potty?” Malfoy asked snidely from beside Harry. Harry did not spare the crude blond a glance as he started to chop the ingredients.

Even though Harry thought he was doing a good job at chopping the tremer root, Malfoy did not seem to agree.

“Give me that,” Malfoy snarled and pulled the knife out of Harry’s hand without waiting for a response.

“Your going to destroy the potion, Potter,” Malfoy in disgust and Harry watched him with irritation.

Who does he think he is? Harry thought angrily. The black-haired boy was still watching Malfoy chop the root into neat pieces when Snape saw him. Without pause the man slid over to there table. “Making Mr. Malfoy do all the work, Potter?”

Snape waved his hand mock-dismissively. “It must run in the family.”

Harry did not dare look at his professor as he started to prepare the potion again. He had barely managed to not blow up in Umbridge’s face and he decided not to test his strength further. He still had to put up with Occlumency lessons tomorrow night and those did not go well when Snape was angry. If Harry went into a frenzy now, Snape would not be manageable during their next lesson.

The last thing Harry needed now was an infuriated Potions master. Harry ignored Malfoy’s mumbled complaints about he prepared the potion.

He wants to get me all riled up, Harry told himself. Don’t give him the satisfaction. After the class was over with, Harry could always get Fred and George to slip the slimy Slytherin one of their wilder inventions. Harry almost smirked at the idea of Malfoy sporting red and gold spots, but stopped himself and tried to concentrate on the potion.

Add the benir weed directly after adding the tremer root, Harry read and did as he was instructed. He could feel Malfoy and the other Slytherins watching and waiting for when he would make a mistake. While Malfoy probably did not really want to fail, Harry was sure that the blond would not mind as long as Harry suffered point loss or received a detention. That thought made Harry clench his teeth and he wondered fleetingly how much Malfoy actually hated him.

It happened quickly. One second the potion was bubbling merrily; the next, the potion blew up. Malfoy was already out of the chair and half way across the room when it blew up, but Harry was not as lucky.

The teen had turned just in time to avoid a face-full of the scalding potion, but his back bore the full force of the explosion. The force of the potion had pushed Harry into the floor where he sat now feeling horrible and soaked.

“Idiot,” Snape snarled. “You continue to surprise me with the depth of your stupidity, Potter!”

Harry looked up to see Snape making his way towards the still dripping remains of the cauldron. “Potter did it, professor,” Malfoy spoke up unnecessarily from somewhere behind Harry.

Harry stood up infuriated. “I did not,” he snarled in a voice that made Snape narrow his eyes and a few students flinch. Harry gestured towards Malfoy and himself. “Our potion exploding was an act of sabotage, professor!”

Snape sneered at him, “Stop with the dramatics, Potter. It will get you no where. Fifty points from Gryffindor.”

Harry saw red and Snape must have seen how close his student was to the edge.

“Temper, Potter, or I’ll be forced to take more,” he warned with a smirk and Harry struggled to control himself. With a wave of his wand Snape had the mess cleaned up and Harry’s clothes dry. But the burns remained on Harry’s back and Snape made no move to do anything about them.

Harry was sure that the professor knew he had been burned. But Snape did not make a move to do anything about it.

“Sit down, Potter, Mr. Malfoy,” Snape said and he moved back to the front of the class.

Harry sat. His face was a stiff mask as he stared straight ahead, not meeting anyone’s eyes. Malfoy sat down with a smirk on his face that made Harry want to punch him.

Snape spoke to the class. “Potter’s caused enough chaos in my classroom for one day; anymore destruction and that person will have detention for a month,” and that was why Harry and Malfoy sat through the rest of the class doing nothing.

Malfoy seemed content to ignore Harry and pick at his manicured nails. Harry, on the other hand, kept shifting in his seat as he waited for Potions to end so he could escape. He had to practice Occlumency and learn something before his lesson with Snape before tomorrow night. There was no telling what course of action the professor would take if he found out that Harry had not learned anything. Harry bit his lip worridly and mentally scolded himself.

I should have practiced during today’s break, Harry thought. Instead I messed around with Ron and Hermione at the lake. If Harry had not been surrounded by people he would have banged his head against the desk before him.

Older Harry had warned him what would happen if he did not learn Occlumency. Sirius would die and his whole world would fall apart after that. An immeasurable amount of guilt suddenly landed on Harry and the teen felt like he was going to be sick.

Harry swallowed against the queasy feeling in his stomach. I can still learn Olcclumency and save Sirius if I put everything else to the side and really practice, Harry told himself as Snape got onto a Gryffindor about something.

It would be a sacrifice to give up time with Ron, Hermione, and his other friends. But Sirius is worth it, Harry thought. The man was the closest thing to a parent Harry had, the teen could not bear to lose someone else close to him.

His lip was starting to hurt so Harry stopped biting it and started biting his nail instead.

If Sirius lived and maybe one day was found innocent… Harry smiled lightly at the thought. A life without the Dursleys, Harry thought with and a small sigh made it past his lips. Harry looked around to see if anyone noticed; Malfoy was watching him chew on his nail with repulsion.

Harry rolled his eyes at the blond teen beside him but stopped chewing on his nails and looked away. It was not his fault that he could not sit without doing something.

I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth like you, Malfoy, Harry thought.

The blond probably had a house elf that brushed his teeth in the morning, afternoon, and before going to sleep. A smirk found its way on to Harry’s face and the teen angled his face down so that no one would see. If Snape took the smirk as mockery… Harry shivered theatrically at the thought. Snape could come up with the most disgusting detentions. More then half of the school knows that from experience, Harry thought grimly.

Harry turned his thought back to thoughts that did not involve disemboweling small animals. I really need to read more of my book. Harry thought about the book his future self had given him.

It needs a title, Harry mused silently. Notes from the Man I Became? Harry almost snorted at the idea. The, should I? Would I? Could I? Book, Harry hid a grin behind his hand. The Owner’s Manual, maybe, or what about, Talking To Myself, Harry thought amusedly.

A pale hand slammed down on Harry’s desk surprising the teen out of his mental deliberation.

Harry’s head jerked up and his green eyes met those of his Potions professor.

“If you are still in this classroom in ten seconds Potter, remedial potions may just be at an end,” Snape snarled.

Harry practically ran out of the grim classroom and past the few remaining students. He met Ron and Hermionme just ouside the door.

“I tried to get your attention, mate,” Ron said to Harry.

“That’s okay Ron,” Harry muttered and started walking with his two best friends. The black-haired teen glanced back at the now-closed Potions classroom door and saw that Malfoy was following behind rather closely. The teen looked away but not before his and Malfoy’s eyes met. Looking back, Harry wished he would have sped up and ignored Malfoy.

It really was inevitable. Gryffindors were known for there bravery and occasionally jumping before they thought. Slytherins were known for their cunning and doing whatever it took to get what they wanted.

And at that moment what Draco Malfoy wanted most, was to enrage Harry Potter. And being a natural Slytherin, Malfoy was determined to do just that.

Harry knew what Malfoy was after as soon as the blond opened his mouth.

“Hey Potty, hold on!” the blond called out. Harry closed his eyes momentarily but besides that he ignored the blond totally. Beside Harry, Ron was grinding his teeth while Hermione muttered, “Just ignore him.”

Many heads had turned at Malfoy’s declaration, waiting and some hoping for a fight.

Malfoy walked a few feet behind his targets, Crabbe and Goyle following along in his wake like two huge, lumbering shadows.

"My, my, Potty,” Malfoy said loud enough for the whole corridor to hear. “You really had it rough today. If I were incompetent enough to make Snape that mad, I'd probably curl up in a cupboard and die.” Malfoy paused dramatically. “Of course, I guess you're used to that kind of thing."

Harry stumbled slightly in his shock but kept walking and most of the students in the corridor gasped at Malfoy’s exclamation.

Hermione’s eyes were wide and Ron looked pale but angry. Harry grabbed one of both their arms and moved farther away from Malfoy. The black-haired teen had known that the information revealed in that horrible potions class was too good to be kept quiet. But it seemed that no one wanted to talk about it around Harry. Until now, that is.

It will be like Malfoy broke a dam, Harry thought grimly. The rumors will fly and sooner or later it will leak into the papers. I’ll be as pathetic as I was in fourth year, Harry grumbled to himself as he pulled his friends down the long corridor.

Malfoy must have been determine because he walked faster but managed to look unhurried as he caught up with the three Gryffindors. He cut them off with his arms spread wide and a look of innocent curiosity on his face.

"Tell me, do Muggles normally lock their young up? I, of course, think they all belong in cages, but it is really quite admirable if they're starting to recognize their own filth,” Malfoy said flippantly.

Harry could feel Ron struggling and after sending his friend a warning glare, Harry let him and Hermione go. Malfoy looked like he was preparing himself to spew more subtle or unsubtle insults.

Harry intervened with a swift and uncaring, “Go annoy someone else, Malfoy.” But Harry was starting to feel irked at the taunts. What was worse was the fact that Malfoy was right. It was easier to ignore something if he knew it was not true, but these were sad facts about how he lived.

“Tell me something, Potter, before I leave,” Malfoy said and Harry stopped walking and spun around to face the blond. A crowd was waiting anxiously for something to happen. Harry wished they would go get a teacher before things got out of hand, but no one moved.

“I don’t have time to waste on you, Malfoy, so spill it then leave,” Harry snarled in a pretty good impression of Snape.

Malfoy just smirked at Harry like he could see right through him and it made Harry’s blood boiled.

"I can’t see how you wound up with Muggles that loathe you enough to make you live in a cupboard. Did your mother's mudblood clog up her br--"

Harry threw himself at Draco before he could finish the rest of his sentence. His fist crashed into Malfoy’s wide-eyed face.

“Harry, don’t do it! No!” Harry heard Hermione scream from somewhere in the gathering crowd. Harry and Malfoy struggled on the stone floor. Malfoy bit his tongue as Harry punched him again and blood slid out the corner of his mouth as he tried to duck Harry’s fists. Students gathered closer around the fight, Slytherin and Gryffindor students both cheering loudly for their housemate. All Harry wanted to do was hurt Malfoy. Fists flew as each teenager tried to get in a good shot.

Malfoy managed to flip Harry over on his back and punch him in the stomach before Harry attacked his legs. Malfoy landed with a crash as his book bag still attached to his arm tore open, ink bottles and parchment flew everywhere.

Malfoy jumped up from his position on the floor with a snarl and pushed Harry, putting all his weight into it. Harry landed hard onto some of Malfoy’s scattered ink bottles. They broke under Harry’s weight and Harry winced as broken glass dug into his skin.

Malfoy smiled thinly when Harry winced and put his weight onto Harry’s shoulders making the glass go deeper into Harry’s skin.

“Arrgh!” Harry growled before he managed to kick Malfoy away and got off the ground.

Some of the gathered students gasped when they saw the blood on the floor.

“IMPEDIMENTA!”

The screamed spell blasted Harry and Malfoy apart. Harry flew backwards into a wall. while Malfoy’s landing was cushioned by the students that he flew into.

Ron and Hermione ran worriedly to Harry but Professor Snape got there first. Snape grabbed Harry by his front and harshly pulled him to his feet. Harry stood dizzily in his professor’s grasp and tried to blink away the spots in his eyesight. Across the room, Professor McGonagall had Malfoy by his ear.

“Get out!” Snape hissed threateningly and the students scattered. “All of you!” he added to Ron and Hermione, who, after grabbing Harry’s bag, left. But they looked back at Harry with worried expressions.

“What were you two thinking? Fighting like Muggles all over the ground!” McGonagall raged at the two teens.

Malfoy glowered at her and McGonagall tightened her grip on his ear with a raised eyebrow and Malfoy winced.

“I didn’t do anything, honest, professors! Potter just attacked me!” the blond whined.

McGonagall looked at Harry for confirmation. Harry just shook his head.

“We will find out which story is true. I’ve had enough of this, boys. I won’t stand for anymore of your antics!” McGonagall exclaimed.

“Come, we’re going to the Headmaster,” Snape said with narrowed eyes as he hauled Harry roughly by his arm toward the Headmaster’s office. McGonagall was right behind him and still holding Malfoy by his ear.

……………………

Ten minutes later Harry and Malfoy stood in front of the Headmaster’s desk. Dumbledore’s Pensieve stood on the desk waiting to be used.

“Think of how the fight started, Mr. Malfoy, up to the time Professor Snape and McGonagall intervened,” Professor Dumbledore said calmly from beside the blond.

“What are you going to do?” Malfoy asked sharply as he stared at Dumbledore’s wand warily.

“Mr. Malfoy...” Snape warned silkily.

“Fine but don’t think I’m not going to tell Father about this!” Malfoy snapped then closed his eyes tight and Dumbledore gently put the tip of his wand and Malfoy’s temple.

Harry watched amazed as Dumbledore’s wand pulled out a thin, milky, floating strand from Malfoy’s mind and deposited it into the Pensieve. Harry’s memory’s had already been deposited in the Pensieve. Dumbledore put down his wand and Malfoy opened his eyes and he looked inside the Pensieve with distaste. His and Harry’s memory strands were circling each other almost warily.

“Potter’s memory will corrupt mine! Can’t you separate them or something?” The blond teen whined again and Harry rolled his eyes from where he sat while Dumbledore smiled patiently.

“Sit please, Mr. Malfoy. This will only take a moment,” Professor Dumbledore said.

Malfoy sat with his arms crossed in the seat farthest away from Harry. With a warning look aimed at the two teens, the professors moved to view their memories to decide what the punishment should be and where the fault lay.

“This is all your fault!” Malfoy accused as soon as the professors had entered the Pensieve.

Harry said nothing. He was already in trouble and he really didn’t want anymore trouble then what he was already in. Just great. How am I ever going to have time to study Occlumency after they assign me a punishment?

Harry knew that the fight was his fault just as much as it was Malfoy’s. If he had just ignored Malfoy… Harry sighed and looked around the office.

Fawkes was nowhere in sight, to Harry’s disappointment. Every movement he made caused him pain and if Fawkes had been here the bird might have healed him.

Slowly Harry reached a hand around his back. His finger were pricked on something embedded in his back. He quickly drew his hand away.

His finger was bleeding and the rest of his palm was covered in blood from his back. I must have hurt my back worse then I thought, Harry thought feeling a little sick at the sight of his blood.

The professors appeared back out of the Pensieve and Snape immediately saw Harry’s bloody hand. Quicker than a snake, he grabbed Harry’s hand and he wouldn’t let go when Harry tugged.

 

Before Harry could say anything, Snape had pulled him out of the chair, yanked of his robe and pulled up his muggle shirt, and was now examining at his injured back.

Harry stood still in surprise and embarrassment as Snape examined his back.

Dumbledore thru floo powder in the fire and spoke in it but Harry was wondering about his professor’s unnerving behavior.

“It‘s mostly just blood. The damage is not too serious,” Snape said as he dropped Harry’s shirt to a worried-looking McGonagall.

“I’m sending you both to the infirmary while Professor Snape and McGonagall and I decide your punishment,” Dumbledore said severely.

Harry nodded and moved toward the fire. He flooed through and Malfoy followed him a second later. Pomfrey ushered them over to two beds and then went back to the fire.

Professor Dumbledore spoke to Madam Pomfrey through the fire. They seemed to be having an argument, and finally Madam Pomfrey nodded grimly.

Professor Dumbledore cut the connection and Madam Pomfrey moved and started to work on Harry. Draco complained about Harry being tended to first, but Madam Pomfrey silenced him with a stern glance. She didn’t make her usual remarks about carelessness and for that Harry was grateful.

Then Madam Pomfrey finished with Harry and went to work on Draco who had stopped grumbling but was still glaring at Harry. When Madam Pomfrey was done with him she went to her rooms after giving both boys a quick warning to stay where they were and not to start any trouble. Just when the silence started to get unbearable, the doors to the infirmary opened and Professor Dumbledore came through.

“Tomorrow morning your punishment will start,” Dumbledore said without pause.

Malfoy immediately got up but Dumbledore held up a hand.

“I have asked Madam Pomfrey not to heal your wounds entirely; hopefully it will be a reminder that fighting is not always the best course of action.” Harry nodded but Draco stood stiffly and did not move.

“You may go,” Professor Dumbledore said and Harry left with Malfoy right behind him. Neither had asked about the punishment. Neither of them really wanted to know.

Harry made his way towards the Gryffindor table as soon as he had entered the Great Hall. Beside him, Malfoy headed towards the Slytherin table. Quite a few heads turned to look at them. Word of the fight had spread like wildfire.

Harry sighed and wished that he was normal. Harry sat between Ron and Hermione and loaded his plate while they fired questions back and forth.

“What happened?” Hermione asked. “Who decided your punishment?”

“Did Malfoy get into as much trouble as you?” Ron asked excitedly.

Harry interrupted them both. “Dumbledore said that our punishment would start tomorrow and no, Hermione, I have no idea what my punishmernt is.”

“He didn’t tell you?” Ron said blankly and Harry shook his head.

“I think Dumbledore wants me to think it over and get real anxious,” Harry said as he took a bite of poatatoes that tasted like sawdust in his mouth.

“Aren’t you anxious?” Hermione asked disbelievingly.

“I’m terrified,” Harry muttered and Hermione smiled pityingly. “It can’t be that bad, mate,” Ron said and he clapped Harry on his back. Harry fliched at the pain it caused but Ron did not notice.

“Malfoy started it. His punishment should be worse then yours,” Seamus said from two seats down, where he had been listening.

“Yes, but I retaliated so I’m just as guilty,” Harry said as he swirled his food around his plate. Their end of the table quieted in sympathy for Harry.

……………………

After dinner Harry headed up to the Gryffindor common room with his two friends following. Harry had gotten his bag back from Hermione and it swung from his shoulder.

“I’m not going to the DA meeting tonight,” Harry whispered to them as they walked up the stairs.

“Why?” Hermione and Ron asked at the same time. Harry grinned at the before answering.

“I have to study Occulmency tonight. If I haven’t learnt anything by tomorrow Snape’s going to kick me out.”

Hermione bit her lip. “I wished you would have told us that earlier, Harry. I could have helped you during today’s break,” she said reproachfully.

“Sorry,” Harry muttered as they entered the common room. Hermione just sighed and shook her head.

Soon after that Hermione and Ron borrowed Harry’s Invisability Cloak and the Maraders Map. “Practice really hard while we’re gone okay?” Hermione asked Harry.

The black-haired teen nodded and after the portrait had closed he headed up to his dorm.

……………………

 

Harry sighed loudly thirty minutes later. He still had not found a safe place and was starting to wonder what was wrong with him. It doesn’t help that I keep wondering what my punishment is going to be, Harry thought.

The teen had read halfway through both books and was surprised to realize that Occlumency: a Beginner’s Guide was not as difficult to understand as he had first thought. Harry was sure that he understood what the books were telling him, he just could not find a place he felt safe. If he could not do that, then there was no place to gather his memories and thoughts into.

It was completely frustrating and tiring. Harry pushed the books to the side and remembered Sirius’s letter. The teen scrambled for his bag and dug through it looking for the letter. It was no where to be found and Harry felt a tinge of fear as he stared down at this bag.

Maybe Hermione took the letter out and put it somewhere else? Harry hoped. He could not understand why Hermione would do that though.

Harry got of the bed and got down on his hands to look around the floor.

Maybe it fell out somewhere? Harry thought with false hope. The teen swallowed thickly, Where the heck is Sirius’s letter?

After worrying for several minutes Harry got of the floor shakily. I probably put it somewhere and forgot, Harry decided that he would find it sooner or later and he was just being silly.

The teen sat back down on the bed and decided to practice the breathing techniques the books had mentioned.

It was important to have his emotions under control and his mind steady. Harry lay down and started to breathe in. He held it for three seconds before letting out and repeating the exercise.

Harry was glad that there was no one in the dormitory. It was nice to have privacy after the day he had had. The teen felt calm, relaxed, and safe as he laid there.

What Harry did not count on was the exercises putting him to sleep. But they did and because of that the teen never noticed that he had cleared his mind.