Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 8: Punishment

Harry woke up with as feeling of dread is his stomach. This was not going to be a good day. He could feel it. There was no way to deny or pass it off as a silly feeling that had been brought on by his overreacting teenage mind. As he lay there under the covers, slightly afraid to get out of bed, Harry thought about last night.

He had slept quite peacefully through the night. The teen had not awoken when the other boys entered the room. Harry could have been left alone the whole night judging by how he felt. But there was that worrying sense in the air that seemed to tell of unheard of doom.

Okay, Harry thought with an eye roll, enough with the dramatics. I’m starting to sound like Trelawney. After all, Harry didn’t have her class anymore, so he certainly didn’t want to start acting like the woman.

Harry dragged himself out of the warm sheets and headed for the showers. I wonder how the DA meeting went last night? Harry wondered as he turned on the faucet. The members of the DA were sure to have liked the wooden fighting dummies that Harry had discovered. But how had they fought against them? Harry needed to know so he could show them their mistakes and turn them into real duelers.

Thinking of duels had Harry’s mind wondering back to his rather stupid mistake he had made the other day. I could have been kicked out of Hogwarts for fighting with Malfoy, Harry realized and the hot water did nothing to stop the chill that ran over his skin.

The Malfoys are popular with the wizarding bigwigs, Harry thought.

If anyone could get him in major trouble for fighting with Draco, it was them.

Harry had seen how the minister and Lucius Malfoy got along earlier this year while he was at his hearing. They looked like friends and they both shared the dislike of Dumbledore.

Harry sighed, the sound bouncing of the walls of the almost empty room, and wondered what his punishment would be. A month’s worth of detentions with Filch or Snape? Harry’s thoughts were still grim when he got out of the shower. One thing was for sure: if Snape had any say in what his punishment would be, Harry was doomed.

………………………

Harry descended the boys dormitory staircase with Ron right behind him. Hermione was waiting for them at the bottom.

“Harry, did Ron tell you about the DA meeting?” was the first thing Hermione said.

“Good morning to you too, Hermione, and no, Ron did not tell me,” Harry said in amusement. Hermione looked excited and opened her mouth before biting her lip and looking around the common room. The room was almost empty with only a few people lingering. Hermione leaned in some to talk to Harry and Ron.

“I know we already did this but…what if we did another interview to tell the wizarding world what Umbridge is doing here?” Harry had a frown on his face before Hermione had finished talking.

“Hermione, to do that a second time in such a short period of time…” Harry stopped to shake his head. “It’s makes us look like needy, attention-seeking brats!” Harry said loudly, more then one face turned to stare and Harry ducked his head.

“Harry, the first interview was to let people know about Voldemort’s return,” Hermione said softly as they moved toward the exit.

Ron cut in, “And this interview would let people know what the toad is doing to their kids and Hogwarts.”

Hermione nodded frantically. “Nobody’s going to call us attention-seeking brats for telling them that. They would want to know Harry.”

Harry bit his lip. Could Luna get in trouble for doing this? he asked himself worriedly.

“What does Luna have to say about this? It is her father’s magazine after all,” Harry said.

Hermione smiled brightly. “I already asked her. She said that her father would love to. Your last interview sold like hot cakes, Harry,” Hermione finished.

Harry still looked unsure and Ron sighed. “You don’t even have to be in the interview mate. Lee, Hannah, and the others who got detention with Umbridge would do it,” Ron said and Hermione jumped in.

But, it would be good if you said something in the interview,” Hermione took a deep breath and seemed to prepare herself for something. “I know you don’t like the fame, Harry, but the blunt truth is that people look at you for hope,” Hermione said softly. Harry groaned and opened his mouth to protest his face was already becoming pink.

Hermione did not let him speak. “They do, Harry. I don’t think you realize how horrible the first war was. People were dying, suffering through horrible torture and families were torn apart. When Voldemort was stopped that night it was a miracle and brought hope back to so many people.”

Ron put his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Three of my mum’s uncles died and a lot of cousins that I never got to meet. Even though I was too young to remember it, Bill has told me how it was.” Ron stopped to shake his head.

They had almost reached the doors to the Great Hall and Harry sighed.

“I’ll do it,” He said with defeat. Hermione and Ron smiled at him a bit smugly.

Harry muttered something about, “ganging up the poor orphan,” and Hermione glared at him while Ron laughed.

Right in front of the doors, Harry remembered something and he held out his arm to stop Hermione and Ron from entering. “Last night I couldn’t find Snuffles letter,” he said in a whisper. “I thought that maybe you had it?” He directed the question at Hermione and she frowned in concern.

“Harry, I don’t have the letter.” She paused. “Do you mean to tell me that you lost it?”

Harry shook his head. “I don’t know what happened to it. I looked everywhere and it’s nowhere to be found.”

“If someone like Umbridge gets a hold of that,” Ron trailed of with worry in his voice and the friends looked at each other.

“We can look for it later,” Hermione said with a sigh and together they entered the Great Hall.

It was obvious that the schools inhabitants had heard about Harry’s and Malfoy’s undecided punishment. The whole room quieted significantly when Harry, Ron and Hermione entered before rising louder than before.

Harry pretended not to notice as he always did and headed towards the Gryffindor table at a hurried pace. Why do they have to do that? Harry asked himself. It was not like he was the only person in Hogwarts to have a fist fight.

The reaction of the rest of the school just added to the anxiousness Harry already felt. Dumbledore was going to tell Harry what his punishment was going to be sometime today. Would he tell it in front of the whole school? Harry wondered with a sense of dread.

Surly not. Dumbledore was not a mean man. But that would be embarrassing enough to make me think before I acted, Harry thought. The teen did not feel hungry, but he ate anyway, just enough to make Hermione happy. She was very stern about making sure Harry ate, although it was annoying sometimes, Harry did not really mind.

Hermione was just being a good friend. She doesn’t have to worry about Ron eating enough, Harry thought with a smirk. Ron was stuffing his face like he had not eaten in a week.

Hermione interrupted Harry thoughts by speaking in a whisper, “The DA just loved the training dummies and I think we got more exercise with them last night then we had in ages.”

Ron nodded and swallowed before saying, “A lot of us really worked up a sweat. It was fun, though.” A thoughtful expression appeared on Ron’s face. “I wonder if I can get a six pack,” Ron muttered wistfully almost to himself.

Harry glanced at Hermione’s face before bursting into laughter and Hermione giggled while covering her mouth. Ron glared and turned red while chucking a piece of toast at Harry.

The toast hit Harry and bounced to the floor with the black haired teen laughing the whole time. When Harry was done laughing he looked at Ron to see a smile forcing its way on the redhead’s face.

“Children,” muttered Hermione who was shaking her head.

A few minutes later they headed off to their first class of the day, Charms. Flitwick was already sitting behind his desk, barely visible to anyone not looking for him.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat at their desks in the front of the room and opened their books. The entire lesson Harry wrote down notes and listened to what Flitwick was saying. Hermione would be pleased at the way he paid attention and ignored Ron who was tapping his fingers against his desk in boredom.

Harry had heard of grownups saying that they wished they had paid more attention while they were in school, but he had not taken it seriously until now. One of the things that his future self had written down was to pay more attention in class.

I want to remember the things I learned in school, Harry thought seriously and so he added ‘pay more attention in classes’ to his things to do list. As if it wasn’t long enough, Harry thought dryly.

At the end of the class, Harry was pleased with himself. It was a nice feeling. The lessons after that passed quickly, and with no Defense Against the Dark Arts or Potions classes to go to, Harry was pretty happy.

The only thing that darkened his sky was the thought of what his punishment would be.

I already had my broom taken away and that can’t happen again, so it has to be some other kind of punishment, Harry thought as he headed toward lunch.

“Hermione, what do you think would be a good punishment for what me and Malfoy did?” Harry asked curiously. Hermione seemed surprised at the question. “I thought you would want to put that out of you mind,” Hermione said with creased eyebrows.

“Yeah mate, there’s no need to worry yourself with that right now. It sounds like Dumbledore doesn’t even know what your punishment is,” Ron said with a smile.

Harry shook his head in disagreement. “I want to be prepared, you know? What if he decides to do something I won’t expect? I don’t want to react shocked,” he said.

Hermione nodded and Ron growled, “Malfoy probably can’t wait to rub your punishment in your face.”

“That would be pretty stupid, though. After all, he is going to be punished as well,” Hermione said and Ron smiled at the thought of Malfoy being in trouble.

“Whatever Dumbledore comes up with it won’t be as great as the amazing bouncing ferret,” Ron said with a laugh as they entered the Great Hall.

Harry knew Dumbledore would not do that to a student but he could not help wondering what animal he would be turned into if it did happen.

They sat at their usual spot at the Gryffindor table and started to fix there plates.

Harry has just took a bite of corn on the cob when Fred plopped down beside him.

“Those training dummies were brilliant Harry,” he said truthfully and George chimed in as he appeared beside Fred. “Yes, bloody brilliant mate. Me and Fred have never seen anything like it.”

Harry had a half grin on his face as he listened to the twins. Everybody liked the training dummies, he thought happily.

“We thought about designing special training dummies after we saw yours,” Fred said with a poke to Harry’s shoulder. “Give them more detail, like they could have the face of a person the dueler hates,” George said quickly before Fred jumped in.

“It would get the dueler all fired up and make him or her work harder to beat the dummy, don’t you think?” Harry did not have a chance to say anything before the twins were talking again.

“Imagine how they would sell!”

“Schools would by them for their defense classes.”

“Imagine the money we could make from them!”

It was like watching a tennis game, Harry decided amusedly. The twins were so excited that they shot out their ideas before Harry or anyone else could say anything.

Suddenly they stopped and both clapped Harry on his shoulder. “Thanks for the idea, mate,” they said in a cheery chorus.

Then they were gone leaving Harry’s head spinning in their wake. Ron was smirking at Harry and Hermione grinned at her plate.

“I thought they would never stop,” Harry said with a chuckle and Ron just shook his head. “It’s your own fault,” he chanted before laughing at the look Harry shot him.

Half way through lunch, a barn owl landed beside Harry’s plate. The black haired teen unattached the letter on the owl’s leg and it flew away.

“Hey,” Ron said and Harry looked up from the still unopened letter, “the ferret got a letter, too.” Harry glanced toward the Slytherin table to see Malfoy taking a letter from a barn owl.

“It’s probably from Dumbledore,” Hermione said and Harry opened the letter to see.

“Yep, he wants me to come to his office after lunch,” Harry said with a sigh before he chuckled. “The password is ‘sugar quill.’”

Ron shook his head and the black-haired teen looked at his almost empty plate. He did not feel hungry any more.

Hermione saw his expression and reached over the table to pat his hand. “I’m sure it won’t be too bad,” she said with a small smile. Harry returned the smile, but it did not meet his worried eyes, so he gave up trying and let it fall into a frown.

Ron chuckled at his friend’s face while he reached over to take Harry’s uneaten roll. “Hermione is right, Harry. It won’t do any good to worry about it. What’s the worst thing that can happen?”

“Knock on wood,” Harry grumbled and he rapped his fist against the table. Hermione rolled her eyes and went into a speech about superstitions while Harry ignored the glare Ron sent his way.

“Now she’ll never shut up,” he muttered and yelped when Hermione slapped his arm slightly. Harry grinned at his friend’s antics and made an effort to go back to eating.

After lunch was done, Ron and Hermione headed of to Herbology and Harry went towards Dumbledore’s office. Half way to the office Harry saw Malfoy up ahead of him and the blond must have heard him because he turned around to glare.

Harry was preparing himself for the verbal the inevitable verbal assault, but surprisingly the blond just turned with his head held high and stalked down the hall.

The black-haired teen did not know whether to laugh at Malfoy’s actions or be glad that he had not tried to make him mad. Shrugging, Harry followed a bit behind the blond, not wanting to draw a response from him if he got too close.

At the bottom of the staircase that led to Dumbledore’s office Malfoy paused. He looked disgusted and slightly embarrassed when he spoke the password. Harry held back a smirk and he got on the now-revolving staircase. Malfoy was already at the top and knocking on Dumbledore’s office door.

The door opened and Malfoy entered cautiously with Harry coming in right behind him. Dumbledore sat behind his desk with his hands clasped together and resting on his chest. “Hello boys, please take a seat,” Professor Dumbledore said kindly as he gestured to two chairs.

Harry sat on the edge of the chair and looked at the professor attentively while Malfoy just scowled and crossed his arms in his seat.

Dumbledore got right down the business. “I was hoping that this rivalry between you two would diminish with time, but your recent actions proved to me that I’ll have to take more desperate actions. I have already discussed your punishment with Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape. They have agreed to what I have proposed with much enthusiasm.”

Dumbledore stopped to smile and Harry gulped worriedly. “This type of action has not taken place at Hogwarts for more then fifty years,” Dumbledore said. “I have decided to put it back in use for situations like this. I’m sure that the strife between Gryffindor and Slytherin House with lessen dramatically.”

Harry could not help himself and he blurted out, “What is our punishment sir?” The question sounded more then a little desperate and Professor Dumbledore chuckled.

“No house points will be taken,” Dumbledore said slowly and Harry just wished that his Professor would tell him about his punishment and stop stalling.

“Both of you will be spending a lot more time together than usual--” Dumbledore started to say but Malfoy cut him of with a snarl.

Why would I do a thing like that?” Malfoy asked in a rude voice and with a raised eyebrow. But Dumbledore just smiled. “Because, Mr. Malfoy, you do not have a choice.”

Harry would usually be happy to see Malfoy gaping but he himself had his mouth slightly open in surprise.

What does he mean? Harry’s thought were cut off when Dumbledore started talking again.

“You see, I have already performed the spell that will keep you and Mr. Potter near each other at all times and I can’t undo the spell,” Dumbledore said as he unwrapped a candy.

Harry and Malfoy were both staring at Dumbledore now. He’s got to be joking! Harry thought with a gulp.

“I have already taken care of your sleeping arrangements,” Dumbledore said. “You will go between sleeping in Gryffindor house and Slytherin. You will eat together, go to your lessons together, if you start another fight between yourselves, the invisible bond will pull you closer to each other. So I suggest that you don’t fight again, it could be rather uncomfortable.”

Harry blinked, still trying to understand what was happening. This was not right. I’m supposed to get a month’s worth of detentions, not get stuck with Malfoy!

“Sir, can’t you change the punishment to anything else?” Harry asked on the edge of a panic. “I’ll wash toilet bowls for the rest of the year! Anything, just don’t stick me with him,” Harry pointed at the very still and wide-eyed Malfoy at the last word.

Dumbledore just shook his head with a hint of amusement in his eyes, “I’m sorry, Harry, I cannot undo the spell at the moment. I already told you that.”

Harry groaned loudly and slumped in his seat while burying his head in his hands.

“You can’t do this My father won’t allow it,” Malfoy said coldly as he regained his composure.

Dumbledore looked down on the blond teen sternly. “I have already informed your father of your recent actions He told me to punish you the way I saw fit.”

Malfoy glared. “I can’t stand Potter. What you are telling me to do is totally insane and impossible!”

Dumbledore just chuckled and Malfoy’s eyes widened in anger. The blond teen stood up suddenly and headed to the office door. The professor did not make a move to stop him as he went out the door. Harry was about to say something when an invisible force yanked him from his chair.

The black haired teen yelped as he was pulled towards the retreating Malfoy. Behind him Harry heard Dumbledore laughing and he gritted his teeth.

He tried planting his feet to stop but it did not work and he was pulled within ten feet of Malfoy before the invisible rope let go of him.

Not wanting a repeat of what had just happened, Harry hurried up to catch up with Malfoy.

Harry was biting his lip and thinking over what had just happened when Malfoy spun around with his wand out.

“This is all your fault Potter,” he hissed as he aimed the wand at Harry. The black-haired teen brought his wand out, but he was too slow. “Expelliarmus!” Malfoy’s spell made Harry’s wand fly out of his hand.

Now Malfoy stood there with two wands, looking smug but angry. “Too slow, Potter,” he said with a grin and he aimed his wand at Harry’s heart. “You can’t bother me if your dead,” he mused quietly and Harry’s breathing quickened.

Surely he’s not stupid enough to--Harry never got to finish that thought as a voice rang out in the corridor.

“Mr. Malfoy,” Professor Snape said sternly as he came into view just a few feet away from the teens. “Either the Headmaster did not tell you of the extent of the bond or you’re stupid enough to ignore it. Which is it?” Snape asked with a raised eyebrow, Harry had never been happier to see Snape from before this. Malfoy lowered his wand reluctantly and tossed Harry’s wand back to the owner with a sneer but he did not answer Snape.

“If you cast a dangerous spell on Mr. Potter, the bond will, in some cases, cause you harm,” Snape said. “I suggest you don’t raise you wand to Potter while the bond still exists, Mr. Malfoy.”

Malfoy pocketed his wand in a swift angry motion and turned to stalk away. Harry sent Snape a grateful look. The man sneered before he turned and walked away.

Harry walked quickly to catch up with Malfoy. The teen was going in the direction he needed to go, anyway. They had Transfiguration together and they were already late for it.

If me and Malfoy are going to go to classes together, I’m going to need a new timetable, Harry thought.

They reached the door to the Transfiguration classroom and Harry almost got hit in the face when Malfoy shut the door before he could enter. The teen held back many insults as he opened the door and walked past where Malfoy was sitting. Hermione and Ron were sitting too far away for Harry to go and sit with them, so Harry sat in an unoccupied desk.

The entire class had turned around when Malfoy and Harry had entered and Professor McGonagall said, “Attention,” to get them to turn back around. They did, but Harry caught Ron and Hermione shooting him worried looks before they turned around.

Harry was sure that he and Malfoy got more attention from the class than McGonagall did and he had to stop himself from glaring at somebody every few minutes.

After all, he would be curious, too, if it was someone else in his position. But sadly enough, it was not someone else in his position and Harry was starting to get irritated by all the looks he was receiving.

Just when Harry had began to ignore the looks, class ended. The students hurried out, barely listening to McGonagall explaining the homework assignment.

Hermione and Ron headed toward Harry but Malfoy was walking towards the door with his whispering friends. Deciding that he would try to fight the bond, Harry walked closer to Ron and Hermione.

Each step away from Malfoy was harder to take than the last, but Harry clenched his teeth and continued, “What happened?” Hermione asked urgently but a second later a cry sounded from outside in the hallway.

“Was that Malfoy?” Ron asked excitedly and he turned to head toward the doors to see but Harry grabbed his arm.

“Yes, it was Malfoy and--you’ll never believe what Dumbledore did to me,” Harry said in a rush. Hermione’s eyebrows crinkled in concern and Ron frowned. “He bonded me and Malfoy so we can’t get more than ten feet away from each other!”

Ron’s mouth fell open in shock and Harry nodded solemnly at his friend’s expression.

“He did what?” Hermione gasped and Harry moaned.

“Don’t make me say it again,” he said pitifully. Harry could hear loud voices just out side the door and he bet that Malfoy had just told his friends.

“Mr. Potter,” Harry turned to find Professor McGonagall still in the room and holding out two timetables toward him. “These are yours and Mr. Malfoy’s timetables,” she said and Harry took them. “Please pass one to Mr. Malfoy.” McGonagall left the room by entering her office and Harry sighed as he read the timetable.

Almost all his lessons were scheduled with Malfoy and the Slytherins. There were a few lessons where he would not even be with the Gryffindors. Harry realized that he would not get to see Ron and Hermione nearly as much now.

Hermione, reading over his shoulder, realized it too, “Oh Harry,” she breathed sadly. Ron’s eyes were wide, “What about when you have to go to the loo?” he asked in horror.

Harry winced at that thought and Hermione frowned fiercely at Ron.

Harry opened his mouth but a shout from outside the room made him stop, “Come on, Potter!”

The next class was one that Harry had with just the Slytherins He did not want to go but there was nothing he could do. Malfoy’s shout made Ron’s face heat and Harry had to place his hand on his friend’s arm to stop him from marching outside to Malfoy.

“I’m sure it’ll be fine,” Harry said gently and Ron nodded forcefully with his fists clenched. The black-haired teen waved at his friends awkwardly before taking a deep breath and leaving the room to meet with Malfoy and his friends.

Chapter End Notes:
I will explain more about the bond in the next chapter and remember this is still NONslash. I'm disapointed and sadened in how some people have jumped on me about Harry's punishment here and on ff.net. I understand that it was horrible of me, but it effects the plot line. I can't tell you how because it would give away to much, so PLEASE just bare with me. Okay?