Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 20

Sirius was on a rampage and everyone knew it. Well, everyone knew that Snuffles was. All students were staying out of the dogs' way, afraid of what it could do to them. As he was back, Sirius was trying his hardest to make Severus' life a living hell and it was working.

Severus mainly stuck to his office and potion's lab to avoid the furious mutt. Black thought it was the funniest thing to bowl him over if he went anywhere else. If this went on for much longer, he swore that if he didn't kill him, he would make Harry hunt him round the school.

An evil smile crossed his face at that thought, making sure only to put in one drop of belladonna paste into the potion he was working on. As the smoke that was billowing out of the potion moved away, he sighed in relief at the purple colour of the potion. He was still having trouble sleeping and ignoring Poppy, decided enough was enough. He poured the liquid into flasks, making sure to put only one dose in each. Stoppering them all, he carefully marked each as Dreamless Sleep Potion.

Not wanting to truly walk the hallways (he was not going to admit to being afraid of a damned mutt) he took one of the potions and fell into a blissfully sleepless state on an office couch.

Meanwhile, Harry was trying to stop Sirius from pulling a nasty prank on Ron.

"Sirius, please don't. You do realize if you put that rat in his bed, he won't sleep for weeks."

Sirius laughed. "That's the point Harry. I mean it does look relatively like Wormtail doesn't it? But it has all it's toes."

Harry shook his head slowly. "Grow up." He muttered. Wandering over to his own bed and lying down, he watched a flicker of some unknown emotion flash across Sirius' face. He was happy to see his Godfather pocket the rodent.

As Sirius turned into Snuffles, he looked at Harry with what could only be called the 'puppy-dog eyes' look, before opening the door and padding slowly out of the room. Harry knew he would probably try pulling his pranks on someone else now. Fred and George both thought he was a God and Harry couldn't help but smile as he thought of what their faces would look like if they ever found out that he was Padfoot.

Sighing, Harry closed his eyes, wondering if he could get some more sleep before lunch. When his stomach growled at him, he knew he wasn't going to do anything without feeding first. Getting back up, he made his way down to the dungeons and to his father. He hadn't yet gotten permission to wander around the grounds alone. With Voldemort back in his body and growing stronger every day, people had to at least be in pairs when outside.

Knocking on the door to Severus' rooms, he slowly opened the door with the password he had achieved to smuggle out of his father. Looking around, he knew the man wasn't in there anywhere. Shrugging and making sure the door was closed and locked before he left, he moved on to the lab and checked in there. When he still couldn't see him, he slowly went to the back of the classroom, where the door to Severus' private lab and office is.

Slowly opening it and peeking his head in, a grin made its way across his face as he saw his father half on-half off the couch in there. He was also fast asleep, an empty flask near his hand on the floor. Carefully making his way over to the sleeping figure, he got a blanket kept in there and put it over Severus. The man didn't even stir.

Quietly slipping back out the door, he was content to let Severus sleep, even if it was potion-induced. His face fell at the thought of having to wait until he woke before going out. Sighing loudly, he made his way slowly back to the Gryffindor Common Room.

He was met by Ron and Hermione playing a game of chess, Snuffles curled up near the fire and Remus watching, giving not-so-helpful hints to help Hermione. He went and sat on the couch near the chessboard, half watching the friendly game going on between his two best friends.

"You ok?" Ron asked him, nudging Harry out of thoughts he didn't realize he had gotten lost in.

Harry nodded. "Yeah. Just kind of impatient for Severus to wake up."

This made Remus look up. "He finally got to sleep did he? Looks like he will be asleep for a while with how exhausted he is."

Harry scowled and nodded. All three stared at him, thinking of how much he had resembled Snape then. Looking around at his friends, he spat out "What?!"

"Why are you so touchy all of a sudden?" Remus asked, leaning forward to listen to whatever Harry had to say. With Sirius asleep and in dog form, he was the only adult figure in his life at that moment.

"I'm not allowed out by myself. That's what's wrong." He snapped. Remus' eyes suddenly filled with what Harry realized was understanding. Ron and Hermione were looking confused. He hadn't told his friends about his 'eating habits' and wasn't ready to yet.

"Ah," Remus replied. "Why don't I go with you? You won't have to wait for Severus then."

Harry shook his head fast in a jerky manner. "No. I'll wait. Its just. frustrating the hell out of me. That's all. Sorry for snapping at you all."

Remus shook his head. "I'm taking you now! Come on. Get up."

Harry, being his stubborn self, just squirmed on the seat he was in for a few minutes, before sighing and standing. "Thank you." He mumbled.

Remus smiled. "No problem. I remember what Severus was like at school. You remind me a lot of him in your stubbornness. He didn't like acknowledging it either."

At this Harry immediately relaxed more and smiled at the werewolf. Remus wasn't disgusted, maybe because of his wolfen instincts. It made him feel a whole lot better. Taking Remus' hand he led him to Hagrid's for lunch and to talk. All the while, thinking that he found someone that wasn't an actual vampire to still care about him enough to take him out.

Still, he couldn't wait for dinner that night. For the first time, Severus was going to take him hunting.