Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 28

Transfiguration was beginning to really annoy Harry. Today they were working on the basics, as it seemed they were reviewing everything they had done from first year to the beginning of fifth year.

Turning the stick in front of him into a snake was the easiest thing ever, though he got into trouble for talking to it. It wasn't his fault that Arien had followed him to class that day and decided that the new snake would be a good friend. The two wreaked havoc in the classroom, getting him thrown out of the classroom and a detention.

Angrily he kicked the wall in front of him. He didn't know why, but of late he had had one very bad temper. He hadn't told Severus about it though. He didn't want to know if this was supposed to happen or if it was because of Voldemort.

Sleep eluded him most nights now and he found himself falling asleep in classes regularly. Whenever that happened, he got Ron or Hermione to wake him up fast, just in case he has any 'dreams' in front of everybody.

Hearing the bell ring, he sighed. He still had Charms before lunchtime. He wasn't hungry, he just needed to get out of the castle for a while. In fact, he decided to just skip his next class and take a walk.

Slowly slipping out of the school was easy, even when it was the middle of the day. His stealth and ability to walk silently and stick to the shadows made it easy for him, he didn't even need the invisibility cloak anymore.

Walking into the sunlit grounds, he breathed in deep. The sun still hurt his eyes, but he didn't bother wearing sunglasses anymore. Walking to the forest and into the shade of the trees, he walked to a nice clearing he had found one night, with a log fallen near a small creek. It was very peaceful there. His secret place.

Sitting down, he yawned loudly and lay down. Figuring he would close his eyes for five minutes to rest them, he soon was in a deep sleep.

----------------------------------

Severus didn't have any classes after lunch, of which he was quite glad. He wanted to speak to Harry today. He had noticed the boy falling asleep during first class today. It was a good thing that they hadn't started making their potions yet, or he would have been covered in an eroding potion. Thankfully Longbottom decided today would be a good day to not blow anything up. Something he had secretly been dreading.

"Thank the Gods that nightmare is over." He muttered to himself, making Lupin chuckle. Silently, Severus wondered why the werewolf had stayed at the school, though Black had left ages ago.

"Surely it wasn't that bad." Remus replied, smiling at the sudden look of disgust that swept across the Potions Professors face. Deciding to change the topic a bit, he decided to talk about something else.

"So, what do you think of Nashii?" Severus heard Lupin say and he couldn't stop the sudden grin from forming on his face. Looking out of the corner of his eye to where the woman was sitting, he quickly looked down again as he saw her return the look.

Trying to distract himself from the laughing werewolf next to him, he looked up and scanned the tables for anything to get his mind off a certain Divination Professor. He soon found something that completely made him forget about everything else. A worried-looking Hermione and Ron were trying to comfort a sad-looking Ginny.

Looking quickly for Harry, he soon realized that the boy was not in the Great Hall like he usually was for the Lunch break. Standing up and walking over to the Gryffindors before he could stop himself, he ordered them to his office right that minute and stalked out of the Great Hall.

He was soon accompanied by the three Gryffindors. "Where is Harry?" He asked surprised at the worry he could hear in his own voice.

"We don't know?" Hermione replied. "He was supposed to meet us in Charms when Professor McGonagall told him to get out of her classroom."

Severus frowned at that. "What did the boy do?" He asked.

Ron chuckled. "We were turning sticks to snakes. Arien followed Harry to class." He got over the laughter faster than usual. "We had Charms after that, but he never showed up in class. He was supposed to meet Ginny for lunch."

Ginny nodded, but kept silent, thinking that it was somehow her fault.

"Have you three noticed him falling asleep in classes?" He asked. Ginny stared at him, before Severus remembered that she was a year younger than the others. Ron and Hermione nodded however.

"He hasn't been sleeping." Ron announced. "Sometimes he wakes everyone else in the dorm up with his screaming." Shuddering at that, Ron slipped back into silence.

Nodding, Severus quickly dismissed the three students and decided to try to find Harry before the boy got into even more trouble.

Thinking the most obvious place to look would be the Forbidden Forest, he soon made his way outside and into the trees. He soon found the clearing that Harry thought of as his, and Severus made sure to not come here because of that. This was an unusual circumstance though.

Looking around the clearing, under and inside the fallen log, and even in the creek for the boy, he was surprised to not find the boy anywhere. Looking around again, he noticed something he didn't the first time. A note was stuck on a tree not far away.

Picking it up and reading it, Severus was suddenly in the grips of a panic attacked and was soon running as fast as he could to the Headmaster's office. Regardless of anyone else, he barged in there, the note clutched in one hand, panic now showing plainly on his face.

Not being able to speak he handed the letter to Dumbledore who, confused, took it and read through it quickly. The worst thing Severus hated to see was the twinkle leaving the old wizards eyes, yet he was seeing it happen right now.

"Please tell me this is some kind of a joke." Severus pleaded.

Albus looked up and into the eyes of his Potions Professor. "I don't think it is a joke, Severus. Both of us know the handwriting of this letter. It seems that Lucius has gotten his hands on Harry and is taking him to his Lord. I am sorry Severus. We will try everything to get Harry back."