Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 31

Severus felt somebody shaking him roughly. Groaning, he buried his head further into the pillow he had been resting on and told whoever it was to go away. He must have fallen asleep, as he couldn't remember where he was. It took the scent from the pillow to make him remember.

Sighing loudly, he turned his head slightly to one side and glared at the person who had woken him up. Naturally, he wasn't a bit surprised to see Albus leaning over him, a worried look in his old eyes.

He was more surprised to see Nashii standing a few feet away, staring at him with knowing eyes. It was only then that he remembered that he had been crying. Blushing furiously, he swiped at the tear-streaks on his face trying to get rid of the evidence.

Clearing his throat, he turned his eyes back to Dumbledore. With all the bravery that he could he uttered the first thing that came to mind. "What?!" Unfortunately it came out more a whine.

"Come now, Severus. There is no need to be embarrassed." Albus stated, turning his head slightly to the woman behind him. A smile crossed Nashii's face and the blush that Severus felt before was nothing to what he felt now. Gods, he was acting like a teenager.

Burying his head into the pillow again, he felt the pat to the shoulder that he was so used to when he was angry or upset.

"Are you curious as to where your son is, Severus?" A feminine voice he only heard in the Staff Common Room on very rare occasions asked him.

Turning his head slowly, he looked hard at Nashii. "Of course I am. Do you know where he is?"

With that a chuckle fell from her lips and Severus suddenly knew that he was going to be kept up all night by that one sound. Shaking his head and groaning slightly, he just hoped that she couldn't read minds as well as tell the future.

"We all know where he is, Severus. It is a matter of trying to get him out that is the problem." Dumbledore stated and Severus closed his eyes. Of course, Malfoy Manor. To try to infiltrate the place and steal Harry away from his old 'friend' was going to take a lot of planning.

"It will take a lot of going over. Albus, what if we are too late? I know Lucius' dungeons and Manor. It is nearly impenetrable."

"But it is possible. No we have a few reasons to believe that Lucius will keep him for a while yet. I think he is also personally baiting you into saving him."

Severus nodded. "I think you might be right there. Still, the faster we get to him the better."

While Nashii cast that knowing glance at him, Albus curiously asked why he was in such a rush if he knew Lucius was waiting for him.

"Albus, I know Lucius. I know the lengths of cruelty he has in him. He will stretch them to see me suffer for betraying his master. I am more afraid of what this will do to Harry than I am of what Lucius will do to him."

It was plain to see by the wince that crossed her features that Nashii knew what he meant. "Do you really think Lucius would do that to Harry just to get even with you?" She asked, disgust colouring her features.

Severus nodded, got up and stalked to the little bathroom to wash his face. The last thing he wanted was the students to have proof that he had emotions. He thought with a small smile how funny it would be to see the shocked expressions on his Slytherins' faces. 

Once he was feeling slightly better and cleaner, the three left Harry's room to go to the Great Hall. Severus was amazed that it was way past dinner-time and the Hall was deserted except for a few other members of staff and, not too far off, the ever present Ron, Hermione and Ginny.

Seeing the empty tables he wished he hadn't been asleep. Even though he tried to hide the fact from everybody, he loved the meal times at Hogwarts, more for the food than the talk, but liked it nonetheless.

Shaking his head of thoughts of what the House-Elves had thought up that night, he turned his attention to the conversation going on around him. As was expected, they were talking about ways to get to Harry. He knew as soon as every pair of eyes turned his way that he was going to be a big player in his Son's rescue.

"Severus we are waiting." Albus announced, much to his embarrassment.

Shifting form foot to foot he asked, "What?"

The three students giggled and he shot them a glare. He turned his attention fully to the Headmaster and repeated his question.

Albus chuckled quietly for a few seconds. "As you said before, Severus, you are the only person here who knows the layout of Malfoy Manor. We need the plans to the house. Especially the dungeons."

As the truth of this statement sunk in, he sighed, grabbed at one of the tablecloths on one of the tables, ready for breakfast tomorrow and began to draw a rough sketch of what he knew of the Malfoy's home.

It took a long time and was a strain on his memory, but finally it was done. Now the worst part. Trying to figure a way to bust into the place and rescue Harry.

For the first time ever, Severus was glad of the presence of Hermione Granger.