Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 33

Severus sighed in frustration. For once in his life, he wished he had been a bit nicer to people. After the map was finished it was plain to see everyone sitting around it knew at least one thing to prepare for a rescue mission.

Especially the children! Ginny, who was a whole lot smarter than she let on, had the map memorized completely within minutes of looking at it. Ron was extremely well with figuring out where to place people for the rescue with their personal skills in magic. He was obviously their strategist. And Hermione. He will never underestimate that girl ever again. She had soon become the leader of the gathered people despite her age.

After hearing the useless ideas the adults had been throwing at each other, Hermione had thrown her hands in the air and immediately told them how stupid they were. All that is except for him. She had told the staff that the only one she knew who had a brain was he. He had heard praise coming from one of the students at the school.

Somehow, he felt like the world was ending.

Shaking his head, he looked at the map and where everyone was positioned. He promised himself that if he lived through this war, he would have to play a game of chess with the youngest Weasley boy. Severus himself couldn't have placed all assembled into better positions.

Some teachers this school had. How were the majority of them teaching when the students were better at preparing a raid.

At this thought, Severus chuckled. He was not surprised to find all eyes swivel his way in surprise. He shook his head again before letting himself laugh a little.

"Um, sir, what is so funny?!" Hermione asked, still in boss mode.

Severus looked at her, then to the assembled teachers and couldn't help but smile stupidly. "I was thinking Miss Granger, that in this war it is the teachers who are supposed to be looking after the students. With your three skills alone, you have shown that the students would do a better job looking after the teachers."

Now the three students were the ones that were sure that the world was ending. After all, how many times does Snape, the Greasy git of a Potions Professor ever say positive comments about students' skills in anything?

Hermione blushed bright red, bent her head and for the first time that night was silent. Ron just stared. Ginny had a smug smile on her face at the praise, one that Severus thought he would never see on the Weasley girls face. That was his smirk she was displaying.

He was being stared at from the other teachers as well. Some looked angrily at him, some were just surprised. Albus was beaming at him, his smile wide enough to reach his ears.

Rolling his eyes he looked to the Granger girl and told her to continue her evil plotting. Severus was going to keep his eyes on that one, make sure she doesn't decide to go over to the Dark Side. She would be brilliant at it though.

Blinking, he wondered where that thought came from. He concentrated on the rest of what she was saying from then on in. Ron was eagerly preparing the groups that would resemble Aurors. A nice little surprise he himself had come up with.

Ginny was the one who would be showing everyone to their positions on the grounds when they were ready to put their plan into action. He could see the anxiety at that in the young girls' face. In a way, the youngest member of the team had the most important job. If one person was in the wrong spot when their plan went off, it could lead to disaster. A point she now knew quite well.

After their plot to raid the Malfoy Manor was sorted out the best it could possibly be, the three students were obviously about to fall asleep at the table they were sitting around. Luckily they had moved to a room where nobody could possibly spy on them.

Fawkes, the phoenix, was preening his feathers on a stand not too far from the headmaster. Once all plans had been made, the students had stumbled their way back to the Gryffindor common room and most Professors had made their way to their own living quarters, Severus petted the bird lightly on its winged head for no other reason than to get the bird to sing.

The song filled him with a sense of peace. Even Fawkes believed that they would get Harry back. Nodding at the bird, he slowly got up from the table and made his way slowly back to his dungeon room.

For the first time in a long time, even with the thought that his son was gone, he slept peacefully without the aid of a potion. He knew without a doubt that their plan was perfect and that nothing could go wrong.

What little he knew.