Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

Harry made his way into the room that had been fixed up for him until term started. It was a great looking room. The only problem he could see with it was that it was green. He was a Gryffindor, not a Slytherin. Snape knew that better than anyone.

"Why can't it be red?" he quietly asked his Potions Master.

"You will not have to stay in it for very long, unless you decide to. You might decide to." Severus began to walk out of the room, but was stopped when Harry suddenly sighed.

"What am I going to do? I mean term starts in weeks."

Snape groaned. "Amuse yourself boy. Come on. You now know where your room is. Let's go get your things." Harry began to reluctantly follow him down to the Great Hall where his new Fifth year stuff was.

Earlier that day he and Snape had gone to Diagon Alley and had spent their day buying his new things. The thing that had been bothering him all this time was finally surfacing in his mind. He couldn't believe it had taken him a whole day to figure out that Snape was being nice to him.

"Why are you being nice to me? You're never nice to anyone, except maybe Draco." He asked his Potions Professor. Entering the Great Hall, he spotted his trunk lying on the Gryffindor table. He slowly walked to it and surprising himself, realised that he could lift the heavy trunk without effort.

Staring at it, he figured that Dumbledore, who was sitting at the Head table in his gold chair, had put a weightlessness charm on it. Shrugging to himself he began to carry it back to Snape.

Severus stared at Harry, a look of what could possibly have been dismay on his face. Shaking his head quickly, he ignored the boy's earlier question. A laugh had come from their right. Both turned to find Dumbledore standing next to them.

"Do you not think it time that you told Harry the truth Severus. He is curious to know." The Headmaster noted, smiling at Harry.

Snape frowned. "I don't see how it is possible. It isn't."

"You have shown him to your old room, Severus?" Dumbledore said, ignoring the outburst his Potions Master had just had. Harry turned towards him fast.

"Your old room? You never told me that. Why am I staying in your old room?" There was anger mixed with the tiniest bit of fear in Harry's voice.

"Thank you so much for saying that Albus." Snape said, sarcastically. Sighing loudly, he answered the boy's question. "I was given that room when I came to Hogwarts. Mainly for the same purposes that the Whomping Willow was planted for Remus."

"Uh, ok." Harry said, confusion mingling with the other feelings he was having.

"Yes. Apparently, I was a danger to the other people in my house if I was to stay in the dormitories. Just before starting here, I had a rather unfortunate run-in with a vampire. I was turned and was amazed when I was still allowed to come here."

"So you are a vampire." Harry broke in.

Snape just stared at Harry blankly for a few seconds. "Yes." He replied. "The room was there for the safety of the other students. I had to learn control. It was hard. I had no friends, I was Slytherin and I had a major grudge against the 'Marauders' as they called themselves. I could tell that Remus was a werewolf right away."

"Uh, if you don't mind me breaking in here, but why did you give me your old room?" Harry asked.

"I liked your mother, Harry. She liked me back. That was before she knew your dad well. Lily was, after all, a Slytherin girl. Them two ending up marrying was breaking so many rules against the two houses. Who would have thought, a Gryffindor jokester and a Slytherin girl who was nice."

Harry froze as he heard this. "Oh no. It's not true. He was only gone for two days." Harry said more to himself than to the other two in the room.

Dumbledore looked at him curiously, Snape looked at him like as if he had just snapped and gone mental. "I dreamt it." Harry announced. "My mum was arguing with my dad. It sounded like she had cheated on him while he was away. I thought it was just a dream. She said "I liked him before I even knew you well". She was talking about you wasn't she?"

Snape slowly nodded his head. "I did not know this would happen, Harry."

"What would happen?"

"Your mother was quite.lonely. She asked me to her bed. Things got a little out of hand. James came home early and found me in the house, before I could leave. I could hear them arguing. What you dreamt happened."

"My mum and you. I can't believe it."

Dumbledore sighed, an unpleasant sound coming from him since he was usually always smiling. "Severus!" He demanded.

"There is more. Your mother found out a few weeks later that she was...with child. She was pregnant with you. James was so proud. I always thought that you were his. That is why I did not like you much."

Harry stared at Snape with his mouth hanging open. "But...I am his.aren't I?"

Severus silently shook his head. "Lily left a letter. It was for the both of us."

Dumbledore coughed and Harry looked at him. The Headmaster handed him a note. Opening it, he read the part that was addressed to him. He shook his head. It couldn't be true. "No. This is fake. It can't be real. She wouldn't have done that."

"I thought exactly the same thing." Severus replied.

Shaking his head, he dropped his trunk and ran back to the green room that used to be Snape's. The room that used to belong to the man he had just found out was his father.