Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9

Severus paced the room like a caged animal. Usually he enjoyed harassing the pupils in his Potions class, but lately he had other things on his mind, namely Harry. The worry was expressed as anger during the classes he taught and he was now certain that he had every student terrified of him.

Weeks had passed since the school year had started and watching the boy he now knew as his, was getting him to feel things he thought he wouldn't ever feel. He had noticed that while Harry was now letting his hair grow long, making him look more like his than James', he was looking more like Lily than ever before.

Thinking of Lily made him sad and irritable. He was quite sure that Harry knew that, but the boy couldn't help the way he looked. Especially his eyes. So much like his mother's. Sighing, he stopped his pointless daydreaming just in time to see Neville Longbottom melt yet another cauldron.

This event happened so often nowadays that the forgetful twit that Longbottom was knew exactly what to do. Without one word, the bumbling boy started to clean up the Potion that he had unmistakably made wrong, a look of terror in his eyes at the punishment he would get this time.

To everyone's amazement, all he did was sit at his desk, look at the terrified student and shook his head. He thought that nobody would question his new quiet behaviour that is, until he heard young Malfoy speak.

"Look at that Longbottom, everybody is so fed up with seeing you act like a fool, even Snape is beginning to ignore you." Draco announced, loud enough for the whole class to hear.

Everyone went extremely quiet for a few seconds, before the Slytherins began to laugh and the Gryffindors began to yell in protest at how unfair they were being. The only two quiet people in the class were Harry and himself. He was wondering why Harry was so quiet. Looking to the boy, he was kind of shocked to see the boy look distressed, his hands over his ears.

He realized that the noise level had increased to that of a Quidditch match. Being in the dungeons of the school, everything was amplified. Not liking his quiet classroom suddenly turning into a brawling match between the two houses he did the first thing that came to his mind.

"Silence!" he yelled. "Fifty points off both houses! Stop this pointless fighting and sit down." Seeing the sudden scramble of students trying to get to their seats as fast as possible, he tried to calm himself down.

Draco looked positively shocked. His face had turned whiter than it already was. "But sir. They star.."

"If you say one word more, you will have more points taken away from your house, Mr. Malfoy. You know who started that and it was not any of the Gryffindors."

"But..."

"Ten points, Malfoy. And detention for disobeying a professor. See me after class."

Draco looked shocked. He had never lost a point for his house before. Sure he had gotten a couple of detentions before, but losing points was something new for him. Deciding it best to keep his mouth shut, Draco cowered over his own cauldron and quietly went back to making the set potion.

Looking about the class, his eyes immediately landed on Harry. The boy's hands had come away from his ears and were now clamped across his mouth. A pained look in his eyes. His two friends Ron and Hermione were looking at him, wondering what was wrong.

Severus groaned. Strong emotions usually made the vampire inside surface. Anger, fear and pain. Other emotions could also trigger it, but none of them the boy had felt yet, being too young.

Harry had been talking to him more of late. There was still anger in the boy towards him, but that was mostly faded now. In Harry's last little chat with him, the boy had been complaining of his teeth 'itching'. Of course, at the time, he had had a fight with Ron about something trivial and was angry. He knew the boy's fangs would drop soon at some point, but did it have to be here and now?

Harry whimpered, and stated in a very small voice, his hands still over his mouth, "Ow."

Severus needed to get the boy out of the classroom, before the whole room had figured out what the problem with Potter was. He also had the rest of the lesson to teach. Letting his eyes dart around the room, they landed on who he was looking for.

"Mr. Thomas. Please escort Mr. Potter to the infirmary?" he asked. Seeing the look the Potion's Master gave him, the boy nodded went over to Potter and started to take him away. After all, the other Gryffindor did know what Harry was going through.