Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Recovery

“Out, Severus.  I will not have you hovering over my patients.”

“These are my students, Poppy.  And I wish to talk with the both of them.”

“Then I will call you when they are awake!”

“I think I shall wait,” said Snape, crossing his arms over his chest.

Madam Pomfrey gave him an icy glare then walked over to stand beside Harry’s bed.  Snape looked at the boy then found that he had no idea why the boy had attacked Draco.

Suddenly the door of the Hospital Wing opened and Niamh entered, followed by Ron.  Snape frowned at them and asked, “Miss O’Feir, Mr. Weasley, would you mind explaining why you are here?”

Niamh shifted a white bundle in her arms and Ron said, “We – we wanted to see if Harry was awake.”

Snape frowned then looked at the bundle.

“What is that?”

Niamh pulled the bundle closer and softly said, “Harry’s owl, sir.  Malfoy…”  She ducked her head, burying her face in the bundle.  Ron wrapped an arm about her shoulders in a comforting gesture.

Snape frowned and said, “So that’s why Potter attacked Malfoy.”

“Yes, sir,” said Ron.

“Well then, return to your common room, Mr. Weasley,” sneered Snape.  Ron scowled at him but left when Niamh gave him a gentle shove and a whispered, “Go.”  Casting one last glare at Snape, Ron squeezed Niamh’s shoulder reassuringly then left.

Snape looked at Niamh and said, “Take Potter’s owl down to Hagrid.  Then return to your common room.”

Niamh clutched the bundle of feathers tighter and asked, “Can I not stay?  I – I really wanted to talk to Harry.”

“You may talk to him later.  For now return to your common room.  And remember to take that owl down to Hagrid.”

Niamh nodded and began to leave but turned back before she got to the door.

“Why am I taking her to Hagrid?”

“To be buried.”

“Oh, sir!  I don’t think Harry would like that.”

Snape sighed and said, “Then return to the common room, Miss O’Feir.  I will come and get you when Potter is awake.”

“Thank you, sir.”  Niamh smiled sheepishly then ran out of the Hospital Wing.  Snape shook his head and looked over at Pomfrey, who was staring at him.  He snapped, “What are you looking at?”

Pomfrey simply shook her head and vanished into her office.

Snape sighed and sank into a chair, his eyes focused on the still forms of Draco and Harry.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Harry groaned and lifted his head, pushing himself up onto his elbows.  Looking around, he saw that he was in the Hospital Wing.  Brushing his hair back out of his face he suddenly saw Snape sitting in a chair at the end of his bed.  Sitting straight up he said, “Professor!”

Snape nodded slightly and said, “Potter.”

“Sir, I…”

“I know what happened, Potter.  Your friends Miss O’Feir and Mr. Weasley informed me of it.”  Snape’s eyes narrowed as he continued, “Though I believe beating Mr. Malfoy up was not good choice to make.”

Harry nodded.

“I know, sir.  But…”

“He killed your owl.”

“Yes, professor.”

“Still no such excuse to brutalize him.”

Harry sighed and said, “I know I’ was’n righ’ ter do tha’ to ‘im.  But ‘e did kill Hedwig.”

Snape nodded, “And for that he will have detention with me for a month.  As will you.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good.  Report to me once you are out of here.”

“Yes, sir.”

Snape nodded then rose and began to leave but stopped when Harry asked, “Do ye know wha’ ‘appened ter Hedwig, professor?”

“Miss O’Feir took her.”

“Thank you, professor.”

Snape looked at Harry, avoiding the familiar green eyes.  With a sharp nod he walked quickly out of the Hospital Wing.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Harry!”

Harry looked up to see Niamh rush in through the door, blue eyes narrowing when she saw Draco asleep in the bed beside Harry’s.  She then turned to her friend and said, “Professor Snape told me you were awake.”

Harry nodded then asked thickly, “Where’s Hedwig?”

“I – I gave her to Professor Snape.  He said he knew what to do.”

“I ‘ope ‘e does’n bury ‘er,” said Harry glumly, sinking down under the covers.

Niamh pulled herself up to sit on the edge of his bed and said, “Your accent’s different again.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.  It’s back to the way it was when we first met.”

“’Ow interestin’.”

“Harry…”

“Sorry, Ni.  I’m jus’ sorry I didn’t ge’ a chance ter beat on Malfoy more.”

Niamh frowned then snarled, “I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to do something to him.  How could he do that to Hedwig?”

“Le’s na talk abou’ ‘i.”

“Okay.  So what do you want to talk about?”

“I doan know.  Ye pick somethin’.”

“Okay…  Erm….chess?”

“Na.”

“Hexes and curses?”

“Alrigh’.”

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“I believe this is yours, Potter.”

Harry and Niamh looked up from where they had been looking at Niamh’s book of hexes and curses to see Snape come in with a small statue.  Snape placed the statue on the table beside Harry’s bed then walked off, glancing once at the book open on Harry’s lap.

As soon as he was gone, Harry reached around Niamh to pick up the statue and blinked several times.

“Ni.  Ni, look.”

“What?  Oh my – its…”

“Hedwig.”

Harry turned the small statue over in his hand.  It fit perfectly in his hand.  His owl was perfectly preserved, sitting on a tiny silver stand with her wings half opened as if she was about to take flight.  Harry smiled and sat the statue on the bedside table before turning back to Niamh and the book.