Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Printer The print whole story view may not work for longer stories.
[Reviews - 49] starstarstarstarhalf-star
Summary: Small decisions can change canon events. One small decision can change the fate of not only a small boy, but also an entire world. Fusion with Forever Knight. Minimal mentions of past child abuse/neglect. Complete AU, Pre-Hogwarts through Hogwarts years. No slash.

Rated: 16+
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect
Series: None
Challenges: None
Published: 03 May 2008 - Updated: 18 Mar 2012
Awards:
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: Not mine. I hugged them, squeezed them, called them George, then gave them back like a good girl. Harry Potter belongs to JK Rowling, Scholastic Books, Bloomsbury Books, and Paramount Pictures. Forever Knight belongs to Sony Tristar, Barney Cohen, and James D. Perriot.

Author's note: This is a Forever Knight/Harry Potter fusion. This begins in February of 1982, when Harry is eighteen months old. I know he's talking a bit more than the norm for his age, but for this story only, I'm saying that magical children hit key developmental milestones like talking and walking earlier than Muggle children. Please remember to note that Nick's original language is French, so French pronunciations of names apply. “Nicolas” is pronounced “Nicola”, “Henri” is pronounced “Onri”, and “LaCroix” is pronounced “Laqua”.


No ships yet (hey, he's only eighteen months old at the beginning!) and there will be a Manipulative! Dumbledore. Severus will most likely feature in this, 'cause, well, I like him as a character. Eventually, I plan on this nominally being Harry/Ginny and if I can manage to do it believably, Nick/Nat.  This will not end up being Harry/Ginny, though--by the time Harry's old enough, he'll be deciding for himself, and Ginny hates the entire idea.  Canon and fanon spoilers warnings for both, though Forever Knight canon may be limited, as I can't see Nick leaving his kid in Scotland and moving to Toronto. Be prepared for a slightly different take on FK canon, because I'm placing the FK vampire into the larger context of the magical world. For the most part, their characterizations will remain true to canon, with a few bits added here and there. Also please note, this will be a darker story than I usually write. Mentions of past child abuse, but I rescued Harry when he's young, so no worries. My thanks to my new beta readers, Evan and Colon, who have been helping me sand out the errors.


This is dedicated to my dad, who was just as taken with this idea as I am. He passed away October 23, 2007. I love you, Daddy. I miss you.

 

Please note that my beta readers have not yet returned the manuscript, despite having it for months. This is still somewhat raw and not completely beta'd.

Table of Contents

1. A New Life by Bratling [Reviews - 12] starstarstarstarstar (10546 words) Printer

"Perhaps we cannot prevent this world from being a world in which children are tortured. But we can reduce the number of tortured children."
--Albert Camus

2. Best Laid Plans by Bratling [Reviews - 7] starstarstarstarstar (9903 words) Printer

In honor of my new nephew, I'm updating a few days earlier than planned

3. Family by Bratling [Reviews - 12] starstarstarstarhalf-star (10410 words) Printer

Sorry for the delay. :) Things have been busy around here since we started watching my sweet, three-and-a-half month old niece.

4. Eyes of A Child by Bratling [Reviews - 12] starstarstarstarhalf-star (14126 words) Printer

Sorry about the long wait. Life with a toddler in the house is hectic!

5. Learning to Fly by Bratling [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarhalf-star (11452 words) Printer

"When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly."
--Patrick Overton

To be continued...
Bratling is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 55 members. Members who liked Midnight Watch also liked 1064 other stories.

Disclaimer Charm: Harry Potter and all related works including movie stills belong to J.K. Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Bros, and Bloomsbury. Used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended. No money is being made off of this site. All fanfiction and fanart are the property of the individual writers and artists represented on this site and do not represent the views and opinions of the Webmistress.

Powered by eFiction 3.5