Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1.

Extra thanks to my two betas, boushh and xHarryIsMyHomeboyx, who both are extremely helpful correcting my mistakes and giving me their honest feedback and suggestions. Thanks so much for sticking with me after the long delay!

History Lessons

Previously:

 About two pictures later, Harry found one that made his heart speed up.  Lily and a scrawny, black haired boy were sitting on a swing, smiling.  He stared at the boy, thinking there was something familiar about his face.  His hair was long and shined in the sun, as though it hadn’t been washed in several days.  His clothes weren’t as nice as Lily’s and his formerly white trainers were yellowed with age.  Despite his appearance, it was the boy’s eyes that were striking.  They were black, piercing, and oddly familiar, as was his large nose.   

‘Is this the boy Dumbledore was talking about?  Could he be the wizard boy who became friends with his mum and aunt, only to lose their friendship years later?’ Harry wondered. He was so shocked at finding the picture that he forgot to turn it over and read the writing on the back. 

Instead of handing the photo to Ron, who was waiting with his hand outstretched, Harry stood and brought the photo over to Remus. “Do you know who this boy is?” Harry asked, pointing to the dark haired child. 

Remus’s expression grew sad and he sighed, rubbing his forehead, “I was wondering when you’d come across a picture of him.  That’s Professor Snape.” 

-333-

 

Chapter 15: History Lessons

 

Harry’s mind was a blur as he stared in shock at the image.  He heard his friends talking and felt them crowd around him and Remus to get a look at the picture.

 

“It was him.  It all makes sense,” Harry muttered. 

 

Now he understood why Petunia recognized Snape and looked at the man with more scorn than she did him.  That, plus Dumbledore’s story could only mean one thing: Snape was the boy who told his mother about magic.  But why wouldn’t the Headmaster tell him?  Sure, he despised Snape, but the feeling was mutual.  Unless…

 

“No,” Harry whispered, dropping back onto the sofa as Remus took the photo from Harry’s loose grip and flipped it over to read the back. 

 

Sweethearts.  That was the word the Dumbledore had used.  He thought they would become sweethearts?  Harry could feel his heart racing and was jolted from his thoughts by a hand touching one of his. 

 

Harry started, realizing that he was still surrounded by his friends, all of whom were staring worriedly at him. 

 

“You okay?” Ginny asked, quickly removing her hand. 

 

“No,” Harry sighed, but quickly added, “I mean, yeah, I’m fine.  Just a bit of a shock seeing my mum with Snape,” Harry replied honestly.  “I knew they knew each other, but holding the evidence in my hands is different.”

 

“It makes sense that they knew each other in Hogwarts, but they look really young in that photo,” Hermione remarked, gesturing to the picture that Remus was holding.

 

“It was a Muggle photo too,” Fred added, his brothers murmuring in agreement. 

 

“Fred makes a good point, Harry.  Muggle cameras don’t work in Hogwarts.  I read it in Hogwarts: a History; it’s part of the same group of spells warding the castle from Muggles.  Imagine if people took pictures of what they thought was a smoldering ruin only to have the film developed and see a grand castle.  So that picture must have been taken away from Hogwarts,” Hermione explained.

 

Harry didn’t know how to answer them.  From Dumbledore’s talk with him, he surmised that his mum and Snape were friends before Hogwarts.  ‘And possibly more,’ he added to himself, disgusted by the thought.  As much as he hated Snape, he couldn’t tell his friends, at least not yet.  There was some reason that Snape didn’t want Dumbledore to tell anyone and he wouldn’t be the one to say anything until he found out why.

 

Luckily for Harry, he didn’t have to explain.  Remus looked as though he was about to say something, but instead began coughing.

 

“Are you okay?” Ginny asked as the boys looked on worriedly, watching Remus as he leaned over in his chair and pulled out a handkerchief from his sweater pocket. 

 

George conjured a tea set and Hermione got up and began to pour Remus a cup.  As the attention was shifted towards the tea, Harry kept his eyes on Remus, who covered the picture he was holding with the handkerchief and slipped both into his pocket.

 

With his hands now free, Remus reached out and took the cup Hermione was offering him.  “Thanks,” he added with a gracious nod.

 

They all sat in silence, sipping their own cups and glancing at Remus occasionally to make sure the man was okay.

 

“Thank you,” Remus spoke after a few minutes, nodding to George and Hermione.  “I think it was a hairball,” he added, making everyone laugh.   

 

He continued, “I don’t know about you, but it seems to me first years keep looking younger and younger.  I can’t believe we all looked that young when we enrolled at Hogwarts,” Remus chuckled.  “And I do remember quite a few people using Muggle cameras around King’s Cross.  In fact, there was a playground nearby when I grew up.  Don’t forget about all the Muggle areas outside of Diagon Alley,” he added as possible explanations for the photo.

 

“That makes sense.  Maybe she had just met Snape and was excited to see other magical people,” Ron commented, but Harry thought Hermione still looked skeptical.  If she was, she didn’t voice her concerns.

 

“Well,” Remus spoke up, “I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we’re expected back at the castle.”  Focusing on Harry, he continued, “Professor Dumbledore is holding a faculty meeting in fifteen minutes and he wanted me to bring you back before then.”

 

“Okay.  I guess I’ll see you guys later,” Harry remarked, gathering his photo box. 

 

Remus and George shrunk his other gifts, which Harry proceeded to tuck into his pockets.

 

“Thanks,” he smiled as he clasped George’s hand. 

 

Fred patted him on the back and Ron followed, doing the same.

 

“Bye, mate,” Ron added with a grin.

 

Hermione gave Harry a hug, whispering in his ear instructions to “behave and don’t let Professor Snape’s comments get to you.”

 

Ginny appeared in front of Harry next.  Instinctively, Harry stepped forwards and hugged her goodbye.  The embrace lasted longer than with Hermione as her arms came up to hug him back.  When they let go, Ginny’s face was red with embarrassment, but she managed to slip out a quick, “Bye, Harry,” before he watched her disappear into the kitchen in search of Mrs. Weasley.

 

With one last hug from Mrs. Weasley, Remus and Harry flooed back to Hogwarts.

 

-333-

 

“Why don’t you come with me?  I’m sure you have some questions,” Remus asked Harry as they stepped out into the Headmaster’s empty office.

 

“Don’t you have a meeting?” Harry asked, confused.

 

“I hated lying, but it’s not for another few hours.  I wanted to save you from having to explain that photograph to your friends,” Remus smiled.

 

“Sure.  Thanks for helping me.  I wasn’t sure what to tell them when I don’t even know what to tell myself,” Harry sighed.

 

-333-

 

“Here, you can have this back now,” Remus said as he handed Harry the picture of Snape and his mum from his pocket.  “Have a seat,” Remus added as he sat, gesturing to an armchair in his quarters. 

 

The room was still full of unpacked items, but a welcoming sitting area had been set up near the fireplace.

 

Harry took back the photo, still amazed at physical proof of his mum’s friendship with Snape.  He flipped it over to see the inscription, Lily and Severus, age 10, park near Spinner’s End.  He was glad his friends didn’t see that.

 

“Sorry about that coughing spell.  I didn’t want your friends to notice the writing on the back of that photo.  How much do you know?” Remus asked, interrupting Harry from his thoughts.

 

Harry put the picture back in the box and sighed, “Not much, really.  Dumbledore told me a story about a boy who was friends with my mum before Hogwarts, so I guess Snape was that kid.”

 

Remus leaned back in his chair and confirmed Harry’s suspicions.  “Yes, they were friends, at least in the beginning.  You remember what you saw in Severus’s pensieve?”

“How could I forget seeing all of you act like total arses?” Harry responded angrily.  

“I won’t even try to explain our actions.  We were cruel to him.  I think the bullying that Severus endured pushed him further away from Lily.  I know what it’s like to struggle to be like everyone else.  If he was friends with a Muggle-born Gryffindor, he’d be antagonized by his housemates.  If he was loyal to Slytherin, he’d be distancing himself from Lily.  Either way, his time at Hogwarts was not easy,” Remus reasoned. 

Harry was quiet, pondering what Remus explained.  It was easy to put that information together with what he saw from Snape’s pensieve.  Thanks to his dad and Sirius’s bullying, Snape got embarrassed and lost her friendship in a fit of misplaced anger. 

“Why didn’t anyone tell me they were friends?” Harry asked, annoyed that he had to figure it out for himself.

 

“With everything else going on these past few years, it didn’t seem important.  It doesn’t change anything,” Remus explained.

 

“Yeah, you’re right,” Harry sighed.  Well, thanks for covering for me earlier and coming to get me, but I should get going,” Harry said as he stood from his chair and headed to the door.

 

“I enjoyed seeing you.  Happy Birthday,” Remus nodded as he stood as well, patting Harry on the shoulder before beginning to empty one of the many boxes still lining the walls.

 

“Oh, wait.  I think you’ll want this back,” Remus smiled as he held out a yellowed piece of parchment.

 

“I nearly forgot you had the map!  Thanks.  I can’t go through a school year without this,” Harry said as he took his leave, heading up to Gryffindor Tower to drop off his birthday gifts and collect his thoughts before going to see Dumbledore.

 

-333-

 

Harry dropped off his presents and the map in his room before heading to Dumbledore’s office.  He muttered the password to the gargoyle and rode the familiar rotating staircase up to the large oak door that was Harry’s last barrier to seeing the Headmaster.  He stood outside the door, unsure of how to approach the situation.  Dumbledore had kept something else from him.  Taking a deep breath, he raised his fist to knock, but the door opened for him instead.

 

“Harry, my boy,” Dumbledore greeted from the doorway.  “Happy Birthday!  I thought you would be spending the whole day with your friends?”

“Why didn’t you tell me my mum and Snape were friends?” Harry growled. 

“How did you find out?” Dumbledore asked, moving to sit behind his desk. 

“The pictures.  There was one of my mum and Snape before Hogwarts,” Harry explained.

Dumbledore sighed, “It wasn’t my story to tell.  I promised him I would never tell anyone, Harry.  As much as I thought you deserved to know, that was information you shouldn’t have gotten from me.”

 

“Who else was going to tell me?  Snape?” Harry scoffed.

 

“I’m sorry, Harry, but I gave him my word and I could not break his trust,” Dumbledore reasoned.

 

“Fine, I get that.  But you have to tell me,” Harry paused, unable to verbalize what was really bothering him the most.

 

“Tell me they weren’t a couple,” Harry asked pleadingly. 

 

Dumbledore looked up at Harry, “I won’t betray Severus’s trust, but I can tell you that I was never privy to the details of their time together.”

 

Harry groaned, throwing himself into one of the chairs across from Dumbledore’s desk and rubbing his eyes with his palms.

“I’m so tired of having to solve all of these puzzles on my own!  You say I should rely on the adults around me.  But how can I do that when no one gives me any information?” Harry complained.  

“I am sorry, Harry.  I have failed you in many ways, but I hope to earn back your trust.  I’m not sure that my hesitancy to inform you of specific details kept you safer, but in my effort to give you a normal childhood I caused you more grief.  As much as I’d like, I can’t change the past, but I can attempt to do better by you in the future.  I was going to talk to you tomorrow about some recent developments, but I suppose we can talk now,” Dumbledore explained, shifting the topic.

 

“I already told you that Voldemort created seven Horcruxes, but given the circumstances at the beginning of the summer, we were unable to explore the topic further.  I’ve recently uncovered more information that we need to discuss,” he paused, taking a deep breath. 

 

“Tom could have chosen any seven items as Horcruxes.  With two exceptions, he chose items inherently powerful in magical lore.  This is one of them,” Dumbledore remarked, reaching into his desk drawer.  “I trust you remember this?” he smiled, sliding a torn, water damaged diary in front of Harry.

 

“The diary Lucius Malfoy gave Ginny?  That was a Horcrux?” Harry asked, astounded.  He slowly grabbed the diary and stared at the giant hole he created four years ago by stabbing the journal with a basilisk fang.  “That explains how he could manifest himself and make Ginny do those horrible things,” Harry commented.  “It really was Voldemort.”

 

“Yes,” Dumbledore responded, grabbing the diary and holding it up, “But as you can see, we both can touch it with no ill effects.  While there were seven Horcruxes, your attack on the diary destroyed this one.”

“That’s great that we have one less Horcrux, but what do we do about the rest?  I destroyed the last one with the basilisk fang.  Besides the two in the Chamber, where are we going to find more fangs?” Harry asked pessimistically.  

“Harry, my boy, you’re getting ahead of yourself,” Dumbledore chuckled.  “I’ve been researching each Horcrux since Tom’s return and I believe I’ve identified all of them.”

 

“You know where they are?” Harry asked hopefully.

 

“In some cases, yes, I have my suspicions as to where they are located.  However, I believe it would help to start from the beginning.  Most of what I’m about to tell you I’ve learned from memories of others, but some is supposition, especially when it comes to Voldemort’s motives.  However, I’ve known Tom since he was a boy and feel confident in what I’m about to tell you,” Dumbledore prefaced, leaning back in his chair to continue. 

 

“Tom Riddle is not the pureblood wizard that he would like everyone to believe, but was born the descendant of an ancient pureblood family and a wealthy Muggle.  His mother was a member of the ancient Gaunt family, descendants of Salazar Slytherin.  Unlike many pureblood families of today, the Gaunts squandered their wealth.  Years of idealistic pureblood supremacy resulted in isolation and inbreeding, leaving his mother and her family with uniquely coarse facial features and mental instability.  They lived in a small, dilapidated cottage in the town of Little Hangleton.  Unlike her brother and father, Merope had less of a hatred for Muggles.  She was treated more like a house elf by her family and yearned for a way to escape.  Over time, she became infatuated by the son of a nearby wealthy Muggle family.  He, however, was not interested in the homely, disfigured girl.  She was undeterred and brewed a powerful love potion.  Merope was able to slip him the potion and enjoyed a brief courtship with Tom Riddle Sr.  Soon, she found herself pregnant and once her father found out, he disowned her.  She believed that a child would eliminate the need for an artificial romance and stopped supplying Tom Sr. with the potion.  She told him the truth, but he was disgusted and wanted nothing to do with Merope or his future son.  When her father found out, he banished her from the family home.” Dumbledore paused to sip some tea.

“Where did she go?” Harry asked, intrigued by Voldemort’s past.  

“She did have one item of value when she left,” Dumbledore answered, grabbing his wand. 

 

Harry watched as the Headmaster waved his wand in an intricate pattern.  A misty vapor spiraled above the desk.  The tiny particles swirled and Harry began to see it take shape.  Slowly, the image of a large chain and pendant appeared.  The gold on the chain sparkled, but its beauty was nothing compared to the locket that swung gently from the chain.  On its surface was an ornately etched letter S emphasized by dozens of tiny deep green emeralds.  Mesmerized, Harry reached out to touch it, his fingers encountering nothing but a fine, warm vapor.

 

Dumbledore set his wand down and continued, “This, Harry, is Salazar Slytherin’s locket and one of Tom’s Horcruxes.”

 

Startled, Harry jerked back his hand and watched as the locket dissolved into nothingness. 

 

“Merope Gaunt had in her possession Slytherin’s locket when she was denounced by Tom Riddle Sr. and her family.  She pawned the locket to Caractacus Burke of Borgin and Burkes, hoping to have enough money to support her and her child.  However, perhaps due to her genetic defects, the physical abuse she suffered, or in part due to her horrible luck, Merope had a complicated labor.  She found shelter and aid at a Muggle orphanage where she died.  She only lived long enough to name her newborn son Tom Marvolo Riddle.” 

 

“Did Voldemort’s father or his mother’s family ever come for him?” Harry asked, wondering what parental influence could have instilled such evil into the boy for him to turn into Voldemort. 

 

“I’m afraid not.  Tom lived for eleven years in that orphanage, performing feats of accidental magic but not knowing of the existence of the magical world.  Tom Riddle’s first official introduction to the Wizarding world was when he was notified of his acceptance to Hogwarts.  At that time, Hogwarts letters were hand delivered and as luck would have it I was chosen to extend the invitation to him.  He was a very intelligent young man, gifted in the ability to already control some aspects of his magic.  However, he isolated himself at an early age, manipulating his magic to seek revenge on the children that played pranks on him and treated him like an outcast.  Once at Hogwarts, Tom was extremely popular, commanding a small group of close friends.  I believe that the only place Tom Riddle considered home was Hogwarts.  Therefore, in addition to Slytherin’s locket, which held additional significance to Tom, I’ve theorized that he chose vessels that held significance in Hogwart’s history,” Dumbledore concluded.

He stood, searching a nearby bookshelf while Harry absorbed what he just heard.  His childhood was not much different than Voldemort’s, but they both chose different paths to lead.  Was it knowing that his parents loved him but couldn’t be with him that made the difference?  Sure, the Dursleys never suppressed their hatred of him, but he always had hope that his parents loved him.  Voldemort, however, grew up in an orphanage watching as other children were adopted instead of him, essentially unwanted by anyone.  Was what made them so alike what also made them so morally different?  

“Ah ha,” Dumbledore remarked in triumph as he found the book he was searching for.  He set the thick tomb on his desk as he retook his seat.

 

Hogwarts: A History?” Harry asked as he read the book’s title.

 

“Yes.  The source of information about the identity of the Horcruxes has been on the shelves of every reputable magical bookstore in all of Europe.”

 

Dumbledore paused, flipping through the pages as Harry leaned closer to get a better view.

 

“Here,” Dumbledore pointed, spinning the book around so Harry could read.

“Prior to the use of magical wards, Hogwart’s Four Founders believed that anchoring Hogwarts with a personal relic would enhance the Muggle repelling charms placed on the school grounds.  Therefore, Salazar Slytherin hid a gold locket in the dungeons, Rowena Ravenclaw placed a diadem along with Godric Gryffindor’s sword in two locations in the towers, and Helga Hufflepuff left behind a goblet near the kitchens.  With the invention of stronger Muggle-repelling wards, the treasures are no longer needed for protection but instead serve as a legacy of four very different educators who were dedicated to the tutelage of magical children throughout Europe,” Harry read aloud, looking up at Dumbledore after finishing the passage.  

“The sword!” Harry shouted, jumping from his seat as he walked towards it. “So it’s a Horcrux?” Harry asked, peering at the gilded weapon suspiciously, as if he was waiting for Voldemort’s soul to materialize.

 

Dumbledore turned in his chair to look at the sword, “I’m afraid not.”  At Harry’s bewildered look, he added, “But I believe the other three items are.  This sword has been kept in the Headmaster’s office for centuries.  In fact, when I was a student I remember counting the rubies on the handle as Headmaster Black reprimanded me.  No, it would have been too difficult for Tom to remove,” he said as he swept his arms and gestured to the numerous portraits on the wall.  “Too many witnesses,” he chuckled.

 

“Wait a minute.  That locket you showed me; the one that Merope Gaunt sold.  Is it still at Borgin and Burkes?” Harry asked hopefully. 

 

“Right you are, my boy,” Dumbledore smiled as Harry retook his seat.  “Borgin and Burkes is no longer in possession of the locket.  With some gentle persuasion, I was able to determine that the piece was sold to Walburga Black.”

 

“Sirius’s mum?  But she’s been dead for years.  Who would have it now?” Harry wondered.

 

“I think she would have left it in Grimmauld Place.  There are many dark objects scattered throughout the manor.  Mrs. Weasley and your friends did some cleaning, but I believe it is still there.  A Horcrux is a malignant object that will not transfer hands without spreading devastation in its wake.  Due to their association with the Dark Arts, I think Tom found out she had the locket and, shall we say, borrowed it,” Dumbledore answered grimly.   

 

“Then I guess we have to go back to Grimmauld Place,” Harry sighed, not looking forward to going back to the place where Sirius felt trapped for the last year of his life.

 

“Yes, I would like to travel there before the next school year begins.  However, there is the matter of who owns the property.  We are currently looking for Sirius’s will, but until it is found we cannot simply walk in.  You see,” Dumbledore began, leaning forward and entering lecture mode, “If there is no will, Wizarding law states that the next closest blood relative inherits all monies and properties of the decedent.  In Sirius’s case, that would be his cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange.”

 

“No!  She can’t get Sirius’s things!” Harry exclaimed angrily.

 

“I’m hoping that we can find a will because I am certain he would leave his possessions to you and Remus,” Dumbledore responded calmly.

 

“I hope he leaves everything to Remus because he could really use the money,” Harry countered.

 

“I am truly sorry you didn’t have more years with Sirius and I hope we can make his final wishes known, whatever they may be.  Nymphadora Tonks, Kinsley Shacklebolt, and Arthur Weasley are searching the Ministry archives daily to locate a copy.”  

 

“In the meantime,” Dumbledore continued, “we still have other Horcruxes that we must seek out.  In addition to Salazar Slytherin’s locket, Rowena Ravenclaw’s diadem and Helga Hufflepuff’s goblet are still hidden in the castle.  I’ve enlisted the help of the house elves to locate the goblet, as I believe it’s located near the kitchens.  Professors McGonagall and Flitwick are researching hidden rooms and nooks scattered across Hogwarts.”

 

“You told them about the Horcruxes?  Does everyone in the Order know?” Harry asked, wondering why he was always the last to know everything.

 

“No.  As of now, I’ve only discussed the Horcruxes with you and Professors Snape and Lupin.  They both have been instrumental in identifying and tracking down Horcruxes not on Hogwart’s grounds,” Dumbledore explained.

 

Harry looked down at his hands, counting the Horcruxes he already knew about and ticking them off his mental list using his fingers.  ‘The diary, locket, crown, and cup,’ Harry thought, staring down at the three fingers still sticking up.

 

“So did they find the other three?” Harry asked, feeling a bit embarrassed as he looked back up to see Dumbledore smiling at him, seemingly amused by his behavior.

 

“Professor Snape believes that two of the remaining Horcruxes are in Voldemort’s possession, while Remus and I have a strong suspicion about the location of the third.  I take it you remember the snake attack on Arthur Weasley?”  Dumbledore asked, his tone becoming serious once more.

 

 “How could I forget?” Harry answered, still shaken by the memories of attacking Mr. Weasley from the snake’s perspective replaying in his head.

 

“Your connection to Voldemort was responsible for that.  Since he was controlling the snake at the time, you were able to see through the snake’s eyes.  However, what was most concerning to me is that it is not possible for a wizard possessing a creature to control it in the manner in which Tom was able to.  Severus was most helpful in this regard, as he was able to relay information about Voldemort’s interactions with his pet snake, which goes by the name Nagini.  Based on your experiences and Professor Snape’s accounts, we believe that the only possible explanation is that the snake is a Horcrux,” Dumbledore explained.

 

“That makes sense,” Harry muttered, thinking back to all the times he saw Nagini with Voldemort.  “The snake was always following his orders,” Harry added.  “But what about the other one you said Voldemort always keeps with him?”

 

“That Horcrux goes back to the story of Tom’s childhood.  Shortly after the end of his fifth year, Tom turned seventeen and was therefore a legal adult in the Wizarding world. He left the orphanage and his whereabouts were unknown until he returned to Hogwarts for the following session.  During the same summer, Voldemort’s father and the rest of his Muggle family were found murdered.  Merope’s brother, Morfin, confessed to their murders and both died in Azkaban.  I don’t think that the murders were an odd coincidence.  I believe Tom found out the identity of his mother before leaving the orphanage and went to the Gaunts’ home.  There he learned his father was a Muggle, then killed him and his family.  From that summer on he always wore a gold ring, the very ring that was a Gaunt family heirloom.  I presume that the ring was his first Horcrux and he wore it as a symbol of the beginning of his journey to gain power over death.”

 

“I never really paid attention to what he was wearing when I saw him.  Does he still wear this ring now?” Harry asked.  

 

“Yes, Severus confirmed that he always wears the ring; therefore this will probably be the last Horcrux that we must deal with,” Dumbledore clarified.

 

“Ok, so his ring and Nagini are Horcruxes.  What’s the last Horcrux?  It’s not Bellatrix Lestrange, is it?  Because she’s sadistic enough to contain a piece of his rotten soul,” Harry asked, disgusted by the thought.

 

Dumbledore shook his head gravely, “No, I do not believe that Voldemort has infiltrated another living being with a Horcrux.  However, I’m afraid I must confess that I did briefly consider that you may possess a piece of Voldemort’s soul.”

At Harry’s horrified look, Dumbledore quickly added, “I am certain that you are not.  Voldemort’s attempt to possess you at the Ministry is all the proof I need.  Had you contained a Horcrux, any amount of emotion on your behalf would not have prevented him from controlling you.”  

“Are you sure?  I mean, I’m a Parselmouth and connected to Voldemort through my scar.  And there were those times last year where I got really angry when I looked into your eyes.  I didn’t feel like myself.  Are you absolutely sure that I don’t have a piece of him inside of me?” Harry pleaded.

 

“I assure you, Harry, it was all those reasons you listed that made me concerned about that very possibility.  However, you are able to overpower him.  Although you are influenced by his emotions through your scar, your emotions hurt him as well.  If you had a Horcrux inside of you, he wouldn’t be harmed by your presence in his mind, but strengthened by it.  That Horcrux would seek out its owner.  It would cause you to want to join forces with Voldemort and carry out similar heinous crimes.  It would also have resulted in your placement into Slytherin.” 

 

“What do the houses have to do with anything?” Harry asked.

 

“I am well aware of the conversation you had with the Sorting Hat at the start of your first year.  No amount of persuasion would have kept you from being sorted into Slytherin House if you possessed a portion of Tom’s soul.  It would be something that the Sorting Hat would easily sense, as it recalls everyone that it has sorted.  Upon detecting Tom Riddle, you would have been immediately sorted into Slytherin, as that is where Tom was sorted.  Plus, only a true Gryffindor could have pulled Gryffindor’s sword out of the Hat,” Dumbledore added with a smile.

Dumbledore paused, leaning forward to look Harry directly in the eyes, “I know you, Harry.  You are a good, generous person.  Your capacity for love is something that Tom has never known.  It’s what sets you two apart and I am certain that you are not a Horcrux.”   

“Good,” Harry exhaled, relieved.  “Then what’s the final Horcrux?”

 

“I need to explain a bit first.  When Voldemort arrived at your home to kill you and your parents, I believe he intended on using the murders to create his final Horcrux.  With the exception of Nagini and the diary, all of the Horcruxes are artifacts that have a particularly notable legacy in Wizarding culture.  The Potter family is as ancient and noble as any of the other pureblood families.  The thought of ending a family name would have been particularly intriguing, as would using a Potter family artifact as a Horcrux,” Dumbledore explained, lifting up his spectacles with his fingers as he rubbed at his eyes. 

 

Harry watched Dumbledore, noticing how the man’s parchment thin skin wrinkled as it rolled under his thin, aged hands.  He was anxious for the man to continue his explanation and identify the final Horcrux, but as Dumbledore removed his hands and looked up, Harry could see sadness overtake the Headmaster.

 

“What is it?” Harry asked, worried about his sudden change in demeanor.

 

 “Remus went to Gringott’s to search the Potter vault for the Horcrux.  He didn’t uncover anything there on three separate trips.  A cursory exploration of your former home in Godric’s Hollow was unsuccessful as well.  We’ll have to look there again, of course, and I think your presence may aid in detecting objects hidden to those not of the Potter lineage.”  Sighing, Dumbledore continued, “I’m sorry, Harry.  What I’m about to tell you isn’t easy for me.  I don’t want to cause you any more pain, but there’s no easy way for me to avoid it in this situation.  There is the possibility that the family heirloom is a ring, a garment, or other piece of jewelry that was buried with your parents.”

 

“So what does that mean?  You’d have to summon it from the ground?”  Harry wondered.  He didn’t like the idea, but he was willing to do it if it meant getting rid of Voldemort. 

 

“No, Harry.  You can’t summon items from a witch or wizard’s last place of rest.  Ancient wards are put in place in any Wizarding cemetery to prevent willful desecration and vandalism.  Thievery was commonplace over one thousand years ago when no such spells were used.  I believe you’ve heard of the term, grave robbers?” Dumbledore asked, pausing and continuing after Harry’s confirmatory nod.  “Therefore, if the Horcrux was buried with Lily and James, the only way to retrieve it is to exhume their bodies.”

“What!  You’d have to…to dig up my parents’ bodies?  No!”  Harry shouted.  “Voldemort took their lives!  I won’t let him disturb them in death,” Harry growled, horrific images flying through his head of his parents’ bodies after fifteen years in the ground.  

“I’m sorry, my boy,” Dumbledore spoke as he stood from behind his desk and approached Harry, who was now standing as well.  “You must remember that is the last option that we have.  I’m hopeful we will find it in the house and it never comes to that,” he added as he stepped forward and grasped Harry by the shoulders.

 

“I have to go,” Harry replied, shrugging off the Headmaster’s hands and fleeing towards the door.  Before exiting, he looked back at Dumbledore too see the man leaning against the edge of his desk, his head hanging and eyes closed.  Feeling guilty for taking out his anger on Dumbledore, he paused to add, “Thanks for telling me, Headmaster.  I just need some time to think.”

 

Dumbledore looked up and smiled, his eyes twinkling, “You’re welcome, Harry.”

Chapter End Notes:
A/N: First, sorry for the long delay between updates recently! Between med school rotations, exams, and preparing to apply to residency programs, my time has been pretty limited. Thanks so much for reading and sticking with me. I’ll do my best to update sooner in the future and I promise that it will be completed.

Please review and let me know what you think! It’s always nice to have some feedback. Do you like the new Horcruxes?

If you have added this fic to your alerts, favorites, or have taken the time to review, thank you so much! As always, updates on the progress of upcoming chapters can be found on my profile page at fanfiction.net.

Coming up: Now that Snape’s aware that Harry is his biological son, how will he react to teaching him? Another Defense lesson takes place and a discovery is made during Occlumency lessons.