Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: See chapter 1.

Extra thanks to xHarryIsMyHomeboyx, who took time out of her busy schedule to beta this for me!
An Accident and A Nosy Wolf

Previously:

Chapter 14:

Snape was feeling overwhelmed. Harry James Potter was his biological son. That pompous, egotistical, fame-seeking brat was his child with Lily.

Lily. She forgave his horrible behavior. All of this could have gone so differently. If only he listened to her and left the Dark Lord's service, she would still be alive. She'd still be in his life. Severus scrubbed his face with his hands, unable to get the image of Lily's pleading face out of his mind.

Chapter 15:

"What! You'd have to…to dig up my parents' bodies? No!" Harry shouted. "Voldemort took their lives! I won't let him disturb them in death," Harry growled, horrific images flying through his head of his parents' bodies after fifteen years in the ground.

"I'm sorry, my boy," Dumbledore spoke as he stood from behind his desk and approached Harry, who was now standing as well. "You must remember that is the last option that we have. I'm hopeful we will find the Horcrux in the house and it never comes to that," he added as he stepped forward and grasped Harry by the shoulders.

-333-

Chapter 16: An Accident and a Nosy Wolf

Snape groaned as he awoke with a pounding headache. He glanced at the clock on the mantle, which read quarter after one. Rubbing a hand over his face, he stood and grabbed a headache potion from his stores, downing it in one quick swallow.

His mind was a whorl of thoughts as he showered and dressed. His grooming rituals were only a minor distraction from the feelings that he was trying to avoid:

Lily forgave me.

Harry Potter is my biological son.

After all these years, he tortured himself, thinking that he never reunited with Lily after their falling out in school. Now he knew the truth. He and Lily became closer than he thought was possible given the way their friendship ended.

Oh, Lily. I'm sorry.

Harry Potter is my flesh and blood.

Snape growled as he stared at the remaining dregs in his teacup and flung the mug against the entry door. The resounding crash and scraping of tiny shards of ceramic across the stone floor were only mildly satisfying. All these years he regretted not fixing things between him and Lily. Now that he knew that she forgave him for his misgivings, he was left with a new burden.

Harry bloody Potter is my son.

He couldn't begin to voice those words aloud. He didn't deserve to. How was he supposed to explain to the boy that it was because of his actions that the Dark Lord targeted his mother? How could he tell him after all these years that he was his son? He could see the conversation play out in his mind.

'Hello, Potter, there's something I need to tell you. I'm your biological father. I loved your mother. She was the most amazing woman I've ever met. Oh, and by the way, you know how I was a Death Eater? Well, I spied on a meeting between Trelawney and Dumbledore and relayed a part of the prophecy to the Dark Lord, resulting in your mother's death.'

Speaking of Dumbledore, 'How could he!' Snape's voice roared in his head as he stood, entering his potions lab and lighting two pewter cauldrons with a little bit more power than necessary. He hated liars, especially when the liar was someone he trusted. Dumbledore was the man who he considered his savior all those years ago, who welcomed him back from the edges of hell. Now he just felt betrayed.

His fingers clenched in anger as he ran his hands through his hair, tugging at handfuls of it. Everything could have been different. If only he hadn't been a stubborn arse, thinking that he was protecting Lily and their child by not being with them. Sure Lily was married to Potter, but he knew that if he had denounced the Dark Lord then Lily would have been his. He could have had it all: revenge against Potter and his friends after years of ridicule in school, a loving wife, and a son. If only he had listened to Lily and sided with Dumbledore.

He knew the ingredients he needed by heart, grabbing jars and vials and slamming them down on the worktable. He wasn't going to let Dumbledore find out that he was aware of the boy's true paternity. The last thing he needed was the meddling old coot interloping into his personal life. He kept the truth from him for this long, even after he begged for forgiveness and joined the Order. True, Dumbledore owed him nothing, but this crossed the line. He spent years not knowing the truth. Since Harry started school at Hogwarts, he was haunted by Lily's piercing green eyes on James Potter's bloody face. 'No, this was unforgiveable,' Snape repeated in his head as he used his pestle to pound black horned beetles into dust. He would not be made a fool of anymore.

-333-

Harry skived off supper in the Great Hall and headed to the kitchens instead. He couldn't sit with the other professors, especially the Headmaster, and act as though everything was fine. The last few months had been beyond difficult, and now he couldn't stop thinking about the Horcruxes and the possibility of disturbing his parents' final resting place. When he reached the portrait of the bowl of fruit, he automatically tickled the pear and stepped into the kitchen.

Pots and pans flew through the air, with steam rising up from a sink on the opposite wall. Four long tables occupied the middle of the room, each identical to the layout and size as the four house tables in the Great Hall. Large turkeys were cooking on the stove, currently being basted by three elves wearing tea cozies bearing the Hogwarts crest. Harry watched them work, stomach growling as he took a seat at the nearest table.

"How can Tippy help you?" a happy little elf asked as it danced from foot to foot, carrying a stack of pots twice her height.

At the question, the all of the elves paused and turned. Harry blushed as hundreds of large, round eyes peered at him. He was not expecting the attention, much less the sudden smack into his back.

Alarmed, Harry stood, wand aimed and ready to confront his attacker, but all he saw were two pointy ears sticking up from a pile of crocheted hats.

"Harry Potter, sir!" The pile squealed as it shook and a familiar elf appeared.

"Hello, Dobby," Harry greeted with a smile as he took a deep breath and pocketed his wand. He stooped to help Dobby collect his hats.

"Harry Potter, sir, is too kind! Let Dobby clean up his mess. Dobby is so sorry, Harry Potter, sir!" Dobby wailed as he turned and grabbed a pot from Tippy and began to hit himself over the head with it.

"Stop that!" Harry commanded, wrenching the pot from Dobby's long fingers and falling on his bum.

Sighing, Harry stood up and handed the pot back to Tippy. "I missed dinner and was hoping to get a small meal. Could you help me, Dobby?" Harry asked, thinking that asking Dobby for help was the best way to control the situation.

"Of course Dobby can help!" The elf exclaimed, gathering his hats and scurrying off with Tippy in tow.

In the few seconds it took Harry to regain his seat at the table, Dobby popped in front of him with several trays full of various meats, cheeses, vegetables, and puddings.

"Dobby hopes this is enough for Harry Potter, sir!"

"Thanks, Dobby. I don't think even my cousin could eat this much!" Harry joked as he fixed himself a plate.

"Speaking of the Dursleys, have you seen them lately?" Harry asked the elf as he began eating.

"Oh, yes! Dobby is in charge of keepings the rooms clean. Harry Potter's aunt was so mad that we was cleaning that she yelled at the Headmaster! But Headmaster Dumbledore is saying that we must keep cleaning so no magic pests move in and scare the Muggles. Harry Potter's aunt is still not happy with this, so she is leaving us elves clothes."

"Who told her about freeing elves by giving them clothes?" Harry wondered aloud.

"Dobby doesn't know, Harry Potter, sir, but now Dobby is the only one that cleans those rooms." With a large toothy grin, he added, "But Dobby doesn't mind. Dobby likes the shrieks they make when he pops into the room. And that fat Duddel-ly keeps staring at Dobby. Dobby thinks he wants to capture and keep Dobby as a toy," Dobby added, his ears drooping at the thought.

Harry laughed for the first time all day. "Thanks, Dobby, I needed a good laugh," he replied, instinctively reaching for a glass of pumpkin juice.

"Oh, no! Dobby forgot to get Harry Potter some juice! Bad Dobby!" The elf wailed as he hit himself with a fist and ran off to fetch him a drink.

Seconds later, Dobby reappeared and placed a huge goblet of pumpkin juice on the table. "Dobby is very sorry," he cried, looking down at his toes, his eyes brimming with tears.

"It's okay, Dobby," Harry automatically responded as he set down his fork so that he could use two hands to try and lift the goblet that Dobby brought.

The goblet reminded Harry a bit of the one used to determine the names of the champions during the Triwizard Tournament. Thinking back on that, his mind was drawn to the remaining Horcruxes: Potter heirloom, Nagini, Voldemort's ring, Slytherin's locket, Ravenclaw's diadem, Hufflepuff's cup…

"Hey, Dobby. Have you ever heard of Helga Hufflepuff's cup?"

"Oh, yes, Harry Potter, sir! It is a legend that all Hogwarts' elves is knowing about. Mistress Hufflepuff, she was very kind to house elves. She loved to cook and spent a lot of time teaching the early elves some of the recipes we is still using today. She was seeing the magic the house elves have and when the Founders wanted to make Hogwarts strong, Mistress Hufflepuff wanted the elves to help. Mistress Hufflepuff put her witchy powers into the cup then had the early elves put some power in it too. The cup was put in a secret place somewhere in these kitchens and is still there today," Dobby finished.

Harry stared at the beaming elf, who looked thrilled to be able to help him. "Thanks, Dobby. I was wondering if I could ask something of you…"

"Oh, yes, Harry Potter, sir! Dobby will answer anything and help in any way!" the elf shrieked excitedly.

"I can't tell you why, but it's really important to me and the Headmaster that we find Hufflepuff's cup. Do you think you could help us?"

"Oh, yes, Harry Potter, sir! Dobby will find it, even if he dies trying!"

"No, Dobby! We don't want you to get hurt. If you find it, don't touch it. It might be dangerous. Let me or the Headmaster know. You can't tell anyone else, either," Harry warned.

"Dobby understands," Dobby responded with a bow, his demeanor serious and determined. "Dobby will find it and report back once he finds it." Dobby added, disappearing with a crack.

Harry sighed with relief as he returned to his food. He felt as though he was getting one step closer to finishing Voldemort for good.

-333-

"Bullocks!" Harry cursed as he looked at the time. He was late for his lessons with Snape and Remus. He raced to the Defense classroom and skidded to a halt as he came to the door. Knowing Snape, he would have some sort of retaliation for his tardiness. Wand at the ready, Harry opened the door.

"Harry!"

Harry didn't know what to think. Tied to a chair in the center of the classroom was his cousin.

"Dudley? "What happened?" Harry asked. He kept his back against the wall as he searched the room.

"Well, Mr. Lupin heard how I wanted to get out of the room that Mr. Double Door set up for us, so he told my parents that Smeltings sent a letter saying that I had to go to school for a wrestling physical. I convinced mum and dad not to come because I didn't want to look like a sissy in front of the rest of the team and after talking to Mr. Lupin, mum agreed to let him take me. He lied, though, and told me during dinner that if I pretend to be a hostage so that you can learn how to fight, you would show me around the castle. So can you untie me so I can check out the place?" Dudley finished with a smile.

"This is insane," Harry muttered as he finished surveying the room and stepped towards Dudley.

As he got within a few meters, a glistening wall appeared between Harry and Dudley.

"Harry? What's going on?" Dudley asked nervously.

"Nothing, Dud. It's just a protection spell so you don't get injured. Just…"

Harry was cut off as the teacher's desk suddenly exploded. He dove behind a student desk, watching as shrapnel flew throughout the room, pinging off of the protective barrier surrounding his cousin.

Dudley was screaming for help, struggling against the rope that bound him to the wooden chair that was somehow anchored to the floor.

Harry coughed as dust filled his lungs. He clutched his wand tightly in his hand and prepared to strike the second he saw his attackers.

The room instantly became quiet, Dudley's screams silenced.

"Dudley?" Harry's heart raced, his eyes scanning the room in an attempt to locate his cousin.

As the dust settled, Harry spotted him fast asleep, his nose making a whistling sound as he inhaled. A squeaking floorboard to his left made him spin around. Remus and Snape appeared and spells began to fly back and forth.

-333-

Harry fought back spells for what he thought was nearly an hour. His clothes were torn and filthy and he had a cut above his eyebrow that was oozing blood into his eye. He was exhausted from fighting two against one and dodging the curses that ricocheted off the protective barrier surrounding Dudley.

"Lasiorhinus!" Snape shouted, the curse missing Harry as he moved to hide behind a bookshelf.

"Potter! This is a defense lesson, not a game! Stop dodging and start fighting back!" Snape snarled.

"Expelliarmus!" Harry shouted at Snape as he attempted to inch closer to Dudley.

Harry was exhausted. He was fighting two against one and trying to reassure his cousin at the same time.

"You're going to have to try harder than that!" Snape shouted back.

"What do you think I'm doing? I am trying!" Harry retorted angrily.

"Then prove it! Stop trying to hide and fight back!" Snape roared as he rushed towards Harry.

"Tardigradus!" Remus incanted from behind.

A second later Snape yelled, "Diffindo!"

Harry turned and tried to duck Remus's spell, but it struck him in the shoulder. He fell, dropping his wand as he tried to break his fall. He tried to avoid Snape's spell, but it was like his body was moving in slow motion. He urged his body to move faster as he crawled to reach his wand, but in the end all he could do was watch as the cutting curse tore into his lower leg.

"Ugh!" Harry grunted as he sucked in a breath and reached to grab his leg. He was still moving as slow as a sloth, but the blood flowing out of the cut in his leg was gushing out in time with his heartbeat.

"Harry!" Remus exclaimed, cancelling the Slow Motion spell.

Harry sat up and clutched at the injury, blood covering his hands as both Snape and Remus moved towards Harry. Snape reached him first.

After clamping his hand on top of Harry's to compress the wound, Snape turned to Remus and ordered, "Bring me a Pain Relieving potion, two Blood Replenishing potions and the Number 4 Styptic potion. It's a burnt orange color and should be on the third shelf of the emergency supplies cabinet in the Hospital Wing. If not, bring me a bright orange colored Number 3 Styptic with some murlap essence and bandages."

Remus patted Harry on the shoulder before dashing out of the room.

Harry was breathing heavily, his jaw clenched tight in pain and his eyes watering as he watched the blood quickly pooling around his leg. He started to feel lightheaded and began to panic. The last time he saw this much blood was when Nagini bit Mr. Weasley. It was the same thing. The blood was pouring out of him and wouldn't stop.

"Look at me, Potter," Harry heard Snape say, but he couldn't bring himself to turn away. He heard Snape repeat himself several times as he watched a tendril of blood slither across the uneven stone and disappear into a crack in the floor.

"Harry, look at me," Snape finally ordered, tightening the hand he had on Harry's leg around the boy's hands.

Hearing his name and the change in Snape's tone, Harry was shocked out of his panicked thoughts and looked up to meet Snape's eyes. The look of worry that had been on Snape's face was replaced with one of determination, but his tone was still calm and reassuring.

"Good. Now I need to get you up off of this dirty floor so I can clean out the wound." With a flick of his hand, the teacher's chair on the other side of the room glided across the floor to land behind Harry.

"Ready?" Snape asked, standing up. "Up, Potter," Snape replied, extending his hands, "Grab onto my arms."

Harry was wary of Snape's sudden change in behavior, but he knew Snape could heal his leg. He reluctantly removed his hands from the cut and grasped Snape's forearms. Snape guided him onto the chair then conjured an antique green ottoman, carefully raising Harry's leg up onto it.

Snape drew his wand, causing Harry to flinch.

"Sorry," Harry hissed in pain, shaking as his hands tightened around the armrests.

"I know it hurts and what I'm about to do may be even more painful, but I need to slow down the bleeding. I'll tell you everything I'm going to do before I do it," Snape added as he bent down into Harry's line of sight.

Harry nodded, eager for Remus to return with that pain relieving potion.

"I need to get a better look at it, so I have to cut off the leg of your jeans," Snape explained as he pulled out a pocket knife. He stabbed it into the fabric and pulled, ripping off the trouser leg.

Harry yelled as the fabric separated from his skin. Some of the blood on the edge of the wound had dried to his trousers and pulling off the fabric caused the edges of the cut to start bleeding again.

"Sorry," Snape muttered as he tore the trouser leg into strips and wrapped them like a tourniquet around Harry's thigh.

"This tourniquet will slow down the bleeding a bit until Lupin comes back. With the amount of bleeding, I suspect the spell nicked an artery," Snape explained.

After taking off his outer cloak and rolling up his sleeves, he transfigured a desk into a basin and placed it under Harry's leg.

"Now I have to irrigate the wound. Before I can seal it, I need to make sure all of the dust and dirt is out of it. This will probably sting a bit."

"Ready?" Snape asked, pausing as he looked to Harry.

"Yeah, I'm okay," Harry answered.

Snape firmly grasped Harry's leg and incanted, "Aguamenti."

Harry hissed in pain, instinctively jerking his leg away from the stream of water flowing into the cut. However, Snape held a firm grip on it, rinsing out the wound and banishing the dirty, blood stained water as it filled up the basin.

"Severus, there was no Number 4 Styptic, but I found the Number 3," Remus panted as he ran into the room, his arms laden with supplies.

"Fine," Snape responded distractedly, focused on his task. "It took you long enough. Give him the pain reliever and pass me the styptic potion."

Remus uncapped the pain relieving potion and passed it to Harry, who took it with a shaking hand.

It seemed to have worked immediately as the pain instantly vanished. Harry sighed, exhaling as he rested his head against the back of the chair. He closed his eyes for a second, noticing for the first time the tears that were running down his face. Embarrassed, he hurriedly wiped is eyes with the back of his hands.

The pain in his leg gone, Harry looked down as he heard sizzling. Snape was replacing the stopper on the potion vial as Remus started to clean out the wound once more.

"Take this," Snape ordered, passing Harry a deep red colored blood replenishing potion. "You've lost a lot of blood. I'll give you the second dose once the wound's sealed."

Harry grabbed the potion; his dirty fingers briefly touching Snape's blood stained ones. As he downed the liquid, Harry noticed Snape watching him with an overly interested stare, almost like he was inspecting the quality of a prized potions ingredient.

After giving the empty vial back to Snape, Harry shifted his focus towards Remus, who had paused, looking strangely at Snape as the man turned his back on the two to prepare the essence of murlap.

Turning back to Harry, Remus gave him a sad smile and asked, "Hanging in there?"

"I guess," said Harry.

Remus stood, putting a hand on Harry's shoulder as Snape carried cloths soaked in murlap essence over. "Severus has extensive training in healing potions. He'll make you good as new."

Harry didn't know what to say to that. He was stuck once again trusting the one man who he trusted the least. And right now all he could do was watch as the man spelled his hands clean and peered into the laceration.

The styptic potion stopped most of the bleeding, but Snape covered all but the bottom edge of the wound with the murlap saturated linens anyway. He stuck his wand over the uncovered area and began chanting a spell that sounded to Harry like a sonnet written in a forgotten language. As Snape moved his wand up the wound and began removing the soaked bandages, Harry felt the strangest sensation and gasped. The muscles in his leg tensed, his toes tingled, and his skin tightened towards the cut.

"I'm okay," Harry answered in response to Remus tightening his grip on his shoulder.

Snape removed the last of the murlap essence and Harry leaned forward, noting that the wound was now sealed, a long scar and a pool of dried blood around his leg the only remnants of the injury. Snape wiped sweat from his brow with his forearm and exhaled.

"There's a scar, but that's the best I could do without the stronger styptic potion," Snape replied.

Harry bent his leg and stood, Remus hovering nearby.

"Whoa," Harry muttered dizzily as Remus dashed forwards, grabbing hold of his arm.

"Take this," Snape ordered, as Harry jumped, surprised by how quickly Snape had returned to his side. "You're dizzy because you've lost a lot of blood."

Harry downed the blood replenishing potion and immediately felt better. He shrugged off Remus and went to fetch his wand from the floor.

"I think it best to postpone Occlumency this evening, but I don't want to hear any excuses for a poor performance when we meet tomorrow. There's no reason you can't practice," Snape spoke up as he glared at Harry.

"Oh, and Lupin, I trust you can handle this?" Snape asked, waving his hand dismissively towards Dudley from near the door as he was about to leave.

"Of course," Remus responded with a nod.

"Professor Snape!" Harry called as Snape was ready to close the door.

At his raised eyebrow, Harry added, "Thanks for fixing my leg."

Snape stared at Harry for a few seconds before he turned and left without saying a word.

"Well, you've had an eventful day," Remus spoke up. "I'm sorry you got hurt, but I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious."

"Thanks, Remus. I knew there was always a possibility of getting hurt. It's worth it if my training will help against Voldemort," Harry responded.

"Why don't you go shower and rest? It's getting late anyway. I'll clean up this mess and escort your cousin back to his rooms. Don't worry. Dudley won't have any memory of this, but I do suggest you take pity on him and show him around tomorrow," Remus smiled as he ushered Harry out of the room.

"Night, Remus."

"Sleep well, Harry," Remus added as Harry left.

-333-

Remus returned Dudley back to his parents, the boy thinking that he needed to lose twenty more pounds to pass his wrestling physical and join the varsity team. He left the Dursleys to fuss over Dudley, as he was more interested in finding out what was behind Severus's strange behavior after Harry was injured. Snape accidentally left behind his cloak in the Defense classroom, so Remus headed to the dungeons with the perfect excuse to interrogate the man in his private quarters.

After spending so many years around Severus, Remus felt confident that something was amiss. He didn't miss the way Snape was looking at Harry when he first entered the classroom. The plan had been to catch Harry off guard as soon as he entered. Instead, Snape held off and signaled to wait, his eyes scanning Harry as the boy conversed with his cousin. And then, after the spell cut into Harry's leg, Snape had shown more than a typical healer's concern. He chose to stay with Harry, sending Remus off instead, even though he knew more about the potions and supplies that he needed. That's what was strange. Snape was acting as though he cared. But what changed? What was behind all of the strange looks Severus was giving Harry? Remus was determined to find out.

He knocked on the heavy oak door leading to Snape's quarters and listened as sharp footfalls came closer.

"What is it, Lupin?"

"Hello, Severus. You left your cloak in my classroom," Remus responded with a smile as he held out the garment.

"Thank you. Now, if you would excuse me, I'm in the middle of brewing," Snape countered, stepping back to close the door.

Remus anticipated this and stepped forward, extending his arm and leg to catch the door and hold it half open, "Oh, but this won't take long and I'm afraid it can't wait."

"What do you want, wolf?" Severus growled, "As you saw firsthand, the hospital stores are sorely lacking coagulation potions. I'm nearing a critical stage in their brewing and don't have time for petty conversation."

"I promise this won't take but a minute of your time. May I come in?" Remus asked with a continued calming voice.

"Make it quick," Severus answered, stepping out of the doorway and rushing off to his private lab. "And touch nothing!"

Remus had been in Snape's quarters a few times during his last tenure as Defense professor. The Potions Master had wanted to take samples from him to make modifications to the Wolfsbane Potion; however, Dumbledore felt it inappropriate for Severus to conduct his experimentation in the Potions classroom, infirmary, or any other public area as there was always a risk that students could discover Remus's secret.

"Wow," Remus muttered as he entered the lab, noticing the five cauldrons set up along a bench, all filled with liquids bubbling away.

"Get away from there!" Snape snarled as Remus leaned over a potion in a far corner he recognized as Wolfsbane. "Do you have a death wish? That potion is toxic to werewolves in that state. One drop on your skin would have you on the floor, gasping for air as the potion caused irreversible blood vessel and bronchial spasms."

Remus paled and muttered an apology as he backed away slowly, returning to lean on a stool close to Snape.

At Snape's stare, Remus realized this was his chance. He just had to make the conversation seem as benign as possible.

"Well, Albus has requested that I organize the required reading list for the upcoming Defense classes. I was contemplating using the same materials as three years ago, but I would like your opinion."

"It's your class, therefore you may use whatever materials you wish," Snape gruffly replied, measuring out a powdered substance.

"I believe the previous texts that I used for the lower levels will be more than adequate. However, I have heard about a defense session that Harry and his friends participated in last year. I am curious as to what level you believe the upper years will be at, given their private studying," Remus asked.

Snape moved to chop what looked like slimy tentacles. "I was not privy to what went on during those lessons. Perhaps you should ask Mr. Potter," he answered, focused on his task.

There it was. Remus had the perfect segue. "Speaking of Harry, has something changed between the two of you?" Snape paused momentarily, looking unnerved.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Snape responded.

"I saw how you looked at him today. It was like you were studying him; like you never saw him before and wanted to capture every detail. You stayed with him instead of getting the potions yourself. I've seen you with injured students before. You never stay with them. What's going on?" Remus pressed.

Snape slammed down his knife. "Is this why you came here? To interrogate me about what happened today?"

Remus said nothing, but the look on his face must have given him away.

"Get out," Snape growled.

"Severus…" Remus started.

"I said get out," Snape interrupted, cold faced, as he turned back to his cutting.

Remus didn't leave, but stood watching Snape.

Suddenly, Snape spun around, knife in hand, and snarled, "What do you want me to say? I lost control and almost sliced off the boy's leg! Is that what you wanted to hear?"

Remus was stunned. The last time Remus saw Snape this angry was when he was forced to interact with Sirius.

"But you didn't mean to harm him! He could have dodged it if my spell hadn't hit him at the same time," Remus replied, trying to calm the man.

"And what if the wound had been deeper? I hadn't restocked the emergency potion supplies. Poppy's away and you know it would be too dangerous to bring him to St. Mungo's. He could have died!"

"But he didn't! And you're brewing the missing potions now. Harry's going to be fine," Remus countered.

"I don't care about Ha…Potter. I just," Snape began, but stopped talking as he dropped his knife, hissed, and grabbed his forearm.

"Are you okay?" Remus asked, stepping forward.

"Damn it!" Snape yelled, picking up the knife and stabbing it into the wooden workbench. "I don't have time for this. He's calling. Here," Snape said as he thrust a pair of glass stirring rods into Remus's hand.

"I'm not letting these go to waste. These two are in their final stages. Add all of the tentacles in equal portions in exactly four minutes and stir thirty-three times counterclockwise. I hope you're capable of following those elemental instructions. Touch nothing else and when I get back from the Dark Lord I expect you to be gone," Snape ordered, rushing from his lab. Remus heard him set some verbal security spells on his private quarters and figured the man added some pretty dangerous nonverbal ones as well before racing out of the entry door.

-333-

Precisely four minutes later, Remus put on a pair of dragon hide gloves and dumped the tentacles into the bubbling yellow liquid. He watched as it turned dark orange and set down the now empty dish.

'Where's that other stirring rod?' Remus wondered to himself as he searched the table for the tool. He lifted up a sheet of parchment with notes and heard the tinkle of breaking glass.

"Oh, hell," Remus muttered, looking down at the broken remnants of the stirring rod. He couldn't repair it, so he set out to find a replacement.

After hurriedly searching four cabinets on his hands and knees, he found what he was looking for. As he was about to close the cabinet, he spotted a light source in the far corner behind some old cauldrons. Curiosity piqued, Remus kept the cabinet open as he stirred the potion as Severus directed.

Finishing, Remus dropped the stirring rods, unlit the burners under the cauldrons, and bent down into the cabinet once more to find the source of the light.

'A pensieve,' Remus thought as he pulled out the basin, careful not to spill the memory it contained.

He set it down and thought immediately of the incident Harry described to him last year. What if this was the same memory? He could see Lily, James, and Sirius again.

"My friends," Remus whispered as he stared at the pensieve. He knew it was wrong. Snape be furious if he found out. 'But this is different,' Remus thought. He was in this memory, so it wasn't like he was prying into Snape's personal affairs.

Then he remembered. Memories also contained feelings, something he was sure Snape wouldn't want him to experience. Snape was a man who kept his emotions bottled up and Remus understood that. He too hated it when people poked their noses into his own history. But what other choice did he have? After everything this past year, he needed to see those he loved again.

Sure, he could extract the memory from his own head, but what would he do with the memory currently in the pensieve? Remus paused and began to search for the special vial that memories are stored in. He knew it was a long shot, but he decided to look just in case.

After a few minutes of searching, Remus realized Snape didn't keep any of those vials in his lab. 'It's not like it would make any difference,' Remus convinced himself. He already knew Snape felt terrible when he called Lily a Mudblood. What difference would it make if he felt those feelings firsthand?

Despite his own set of morals shouting at him not to invade Snape's privacy, the grief Remus felt was just too strong. He never got a chance to say goodbye to any of them, and now that he was with Tonks all of those feelings of loss were mounting stronger every day. The longer he stared at the pensieve, the stronger the pull to see his friends was. After taking a deep breath and exhaling, he gave in to temptation, touching his nose to the shimmering surface.

-333-

Snape was exhausted. He was spared the Dark Lord's wrath, as today's meeting was so he could collect updates on his current plans. Malfoy and Runcorn were continuing to infiltrate the ministry, starting with low level employees. Kingsley and Arthur needed to know. He would have to alert Dumbledore later this evening as well, Snape mused as he shed his cloak and entered his lab to finish up on his brewing before running his errands.

'He's still here', Snape growled to himself as he strode towards Lupin, who was bending down behind a cauldron.

"Lupin, I told you," Snape began as he walked closer.

"That bastard!" Snape roared as he grabbed the back of Lupin's robes, yanked his head out of the pensieve, and flung the man up against the wall.

"You bastard!" Snape yelled. "How DARE you!" He roared as shoved the tip of his wand into Lupin's throat.

"He's your son!" Lupin gasped, eyes wide as Snape's hand tightened around his throat.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks so much for reading and sticking with me! I appreciate any reviews/feedback on what you think about this fic so far. I have made some changes to chapter development based on suggestions before, so keep them coming! (I have some kind reviewers to thank for the addition of the Dursleys to this chapter, which was a brilliant idea, by the way.)

If you have added this fic to your alerts, favorites, or have taken the time to review, thank you so much! I'll do my best to update sooner in the future and I promise that this fic will be completed.

As always, updates on the progress of upcoming chapters can be found on my profile page at fanfiction dot net.

Coming up: Hell hath no fury like a Snape scorned! Snape and Remus fight, Harry has Occlumency with Snape, and the first Horcrux is uncovered. Stay tuned!