Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Thanks so much to the best betas, boushh, xHarryIsMyHomeboyx, and breannatala for beta reading this chapter! I really appreciate your help!
Enemies are Changing

Previously:

"That bastard!" Snape roared as he grabbed the back of Lupin's robes, yanked his head out of the pensieve, and flung the man up against the wall.

"You bastard!" Snape yelled. "How DARE you!" He roared as shoved the tip of his wand into Lupin's throat.

"He's your son," Lupin gasped as Snape's hand tightened around his throat.

-333-

Chapter 17: Enemies are Changing

Remus began to make gurgling noises as Snape's grip on his throat cut off his air supply. Snape was yelling at him, spittle flying on his face, but Remus was too panicked to make out the words. If he didn't do something soon, Snape was going to kill him. He started clawing at Snape's hold with one hand and fumbled for his wand with the other. Grasping it, he shot off a stunner at Snape just as his vision began fading.

Snape fell backwards, falling over a nearby stool. Remus was coughing and trying to catch his breath but kept his wand at the ready and trained on Snape. After several seconds, the retaliation that Remus was expecting did not occur. He stepped closer to Snape, who must not have received the whole brunt of the stunner as he groaned, sprawled out on top of a shattered stool.

"Bloody hell," Remus cursed as he noticed a bleeding gash on the side of Snape's head.

Snape groaned as he sat up. Out of instinct, he reached into his robes for his wand. Not finding it, Snape held out his hand and silently summoned his wand.

"You're hurt," Remus added, coughing. He was grateful the stunner seemed to have knocked some sense into Snape, as the man hadn't started hurling curses…yet.

Wand tight in his grip, Snape stood, clamping a hand to his sore forehead. He pulled his hand away and looked down, noticing blood on his palm.

Snape grabbed a towel off of a nearly shelf and held it to his head. "Get out before I do something that earns me a life sentence in Azkaban," he scowled, leading the way into his sitting area as he headed towards the door.

"If I hadn't stopped you, you probably would have killed me." Remus briefly paused, coughing before continuing. "Look, I'm sorry for invading your privacy. I'm not even going to try to explain myself, but I can't leave. Not yet, anyway. Not until we talk about what I saw," Remus replied carefully.

"There's nothing to talk about. This does not concern you," Snape answered.

Remus swallowed. "I'm the closest thing to…to a godfather that Harry has left. He's lost so much in his life that he deserves to be told the truth. He deserves to know he still has family other than the Dursleys. He needs to know that he has a father that he can get to know."

"You sanctimonious bastard!" Snape growled. "You had no right! You walk around playing the victim," Snape began. "So, you're a werewolf who's treated like shite," Snape mocked. "You think that makes you the moral compass for the rest of the world?"

"I'm not trying to be righteous, but I know as much as you do what it's like to have regrets. They eat you alive from the inside out until there's nothing left. Nothing, that is, until you do something about it. Please, Severus, Harry needs to know the truth. Think about Lily," Remus implored.

"There's not a day that goes by that she isn't on my mind!" Snape yelled, throwing the now blood-covered towel in Remus's direction.

Remus watched as Snape paused in shock, looking as though he just confessed something that he never meant to say aloud to another living soul. His expression vanished as he stumbled over to the sofa and sat down. He buried his head in his hands, his dark, lanky strands of hair framing his face.

Remus took this as his cue and, after picking up the towel, sat across from Snape. He said nothing but watched as Snape struggled to control his rapid breathing.

Now that Remus had a better chance to observe Snape, he noticed the trembling of his hands, a telltale side effect of the Cruciatus curse.

"What are you afraid of?" Remus asked as the thought popped into his head.

At that, Snape looked up. He appeared exhausted, blood running down the side of his face, dripping down his neck and disappearing into the darkness of his black robes.

"Don't you get it? We're in the middle of a war against a vile, unforgiving soul who, along with his supporters, will stop at nothing to rid the world of anyone without so-called pure wizarding blood. Potter's the Dark Lord's number one target. He's in enough danger without linking himself to a Death Eater, spy or otherwise," Snape growled.

"I'm not naïve. Harry's in danger every day. We try to keep him safe at his aunt's house or here in the castle but even that isn't foolproof. Being linked to you, as you put it, wouldn't make Voldemort any less determined to kill him. You must realize that just as much as I do," Remus explained.

"Why can't you just leave it well enough alone?" Snape muttered. "Let the boy keep thinking that his father was a saint who died protecting his family."

"So that's what this is about? Harry doesn't need an idealized portrait of a father. He needs a living one, flaws and all," Remus retorted.

"He has plenty of people who can coddle him. Hell, even you're doing a fine job of it," Snape countered.

"It's not the same! He doesn't say it, but I can tell he worries that if he says the wrong thing or does something I don't agree with that I'll abandon him. He needs an adult that will care for him, regardless of his actions. I know you will disagree, but you're one of the more stable relationships in his life," Remus added with a smile.

At Snape's incredulous look, Remus continued. "Hear me out first. Despite your differences, you continue to protect Harry. You teach him, regardless of how infuriating he has made you in the past. Albus and Minerva have too many other responsibilities, Molly and Arthur may love Harry, but their own children come first and despite his connection to me through James and Sirius, I am forced to abandon him for several days a month. He needs you, Severus. Your treatment of Harry in the past may have been reprehensible, but I can tell he's growing on you."

"I must need to reformulate the Wolfsbane, because that's the only explanation I have for your complete and utter loss of common sense," Snape drawled.

"Mock me all you want. You know I speak the truth; you just don't want to admit it. Albus will have told Harry the details about the Horcruxes. The boy will need someone to talk to. He won't come to me, he never has," Remus added sadly.

"Just get up and leave already!" Snape said tiredly, lightly palpating his forehead.

"You know I'm right," Remus said seriously as he got up and headed to the door. "Harry deserves to know. Either you tell him before the upcoming school year or I will," he added, leaving Snape alone.

-333-

The next day, Harry awoke in the early afternoon. He had himself another late breakfast in the kitchens with Dobby, who was no closer to finding Hufflepuff's cup than he was earlier.

"Dobby will find it or die trying!" the elf shouted after him as Harry left, ready to tackle the next task on his agenda: show Dudley around Hogwarts.

He wasn't looking forward to it, but Dudley did deserve something fun after having to be Obliviated yesterday. After all, the boy needed all the brain cells he could get. Plus, he was decent enough in the Headmaster's office to admit that his parents treated Harry horribly. If there was the possibility of returning to the Dursleys next summer, then he was determined to stay on Dudley's good side. Harry would never consider him a friend, nor would he forget what the boy had done to him in the past. However, he did know that people can change.

Sooner than Harry had hoped, he was standing in front of the Dursley's temporary home in a large set of rooms off of the Great Hall. Taking a deep breath, he knocked on the door. He wasn't excited to see his Aunt Petunia again so soon, but thankfully it was a weekday and his uncle would be away at work.

"I'll get it!" Harry heard Dudley shout from the other side of the door.

"How can I help…Harry!" Dudley exclaimed in shock. "What are you doin' here?"

"I heard you need to lose a little weight for wrestling. Want to go for a run?" Harry asked casually.

"Sure. It feels like I've been trapped here for weeks! Lemme tell mum. Come in," Dudley offered as he stepped away from the door.

Harry knew it was a replica of Number 4 Privet Drive, but the truth of that statement didn't hit him until that moment. Everything was the same, from the doilies under the lamps in the living room to the pictures of Dudley scattered about to the cupboard under the stairs.

Curious, he knelt down and unlatched the cupboard door. With the exception of a new mop, it was exactly as he had left it more than five years ago. Harry fingered the old, threadbare blanket as he looked around, spotting a little card in the far corner that he had forgotten about.

When he was seven, Harry's class had made St. Valentine's Day cards. The teacher told the class the cards were supposed to be for their parents, because "your parents love you more than anyone else in the world."

He had never thought of it that way, but he knew that if his parents were alive, they'd love him just as much as the teacher had said.

So, Harry tried his best to make a perfect Valentine's Day card, double checking his spelling with what the teacher had written on the board. He even practiced drawing hearts before he attempted one on his folded piece of colored paper. Now, taped to the wall before him was that card.

Looking back to make sure Dudley or his aunt weren't coming, Harry reached in and pulled down the card and opened it, the unsteady handwriting of his smaller self reading, "I know you are not here to love me. But I know you would love me. I love you mummy and daddy. Happy Valentine's Day. Love your son Harry Potter."

Harry's thoughts were interrupted by a shriek from the kitchen.

"Where is he?" Aunt Petunia yelled.

He quickly stuffed the card in his pocket and shut the cupboard door seconds before she entered the room.

"What are you doing?" she asked suspiciously.

Harry responded quickly, his back to his aunt as he tried to hide his disgust of having to see her again. "Just waiting for Dudley. I heard he needs to get some exercise and was sent to take him out for an hour or two."

"Turn around when you are talking to me! We taught you better than that!" Petunia shrieked.

Harry was ready to spit out a nasty retort that would instantly trigger a fight, but instead, he tried to control himself. Using some of his Occlumency calming techniques, Harry spun around to face her.

The anger from her face quickly fled and was replaced with what looked like a mixture between curiosity and fear.

"What did you do to your face?" Petunia asked, pushing Dudley behind her in a valiant, if futile, attempt to protect her son.

Harry looked at them both confusedly for a moment before reaching up to touch his cheek and remembering. "Oh. Right. I guess no one told you. I was accidently burned as a baby and the…techniques used to heal my skin wore off. Because of new technology, this is what I really would have looked like if I wasn't injured," Harry explained, doing his best to avoid any mention of the role of magic in his healing.

"How do I know it's really you? In fact, I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out. You're Snape in disguise, aren't you?" Petunia asked suspiciously, her eyes darting across his face as though trying to visually detect a seam to a rubbery mask.

"What? How could you think I'm Snape? I've been doing your laundry long enough to know that you wear a size 6 dress and Dudley needed to have his uniform custom made before he lost weight," Harry responded.

"Fine, it's you," Petunia snarled from pursed lips, ignoring his questions. "And the answer is no. I'm not letting my Dudley wander this…this freakish place so he can get lost again. I know you'll ditch him the second you get the chance."

"And risk getting expelled, or worse, for having gotten a Muggle injured or killed and risking the secrecy of my world?" Harry retorted, not exactly sure why he was pushing so hard for Dudley.

"Come on, Mum! I need to lose a stone to fit in my weight class. Don't you want me to be happy?" Dudley whined.

"Of course I do, Dudders! But the boy's dangerous, you know that!" Petunia pleaded.

"But, Mum! That's not fair!" Dudley moaned, stamping his beefy foot like a toddler having a tantrum. "It's because of him that we're stuck here. You can't let him ruin my chances in wrestling! Please! It's only for a few hours."

"Just wait until your father gets home, and then we'll see about getting you an exercise machine," Petunia said calmly, trying to placate him.

"But I can't wait! I need to get started now! Lighten up, Mum. It'll just be today. I'll use a machine tomorrow, ok?" Dudley pleaded, plastering what he must have thought was a sad, puppy dog look on his face.

Regardless of how silly Harry thought Dudley's charade was, it was as successful as he remembered.

"Fine, you can go with the boy. But be careful and don't let him do anything funny," Petunia cautioned before patting him on the cheek.

"And you! If you harm my Dudley in any way, forget that Headmaster of yours. You'll have Vernon to answer to," Petunia warned.

"I understand," Harry spat out. Tired of wasting part of his day in a faux Number 4, Privet Drive, he headed to the door.

"Ready, Dud?" Harry called out as he reached the door, not bothering to turn as he exited, leaving the door wide open, eager to escape. However, one thought followed him out of the room. 'Why would she think I was Snape, of all people?'

-333-

Harry returned Dudley, as promised, a few hours later. He took Dudley out to the Quidditch field to go jogging, but his mind was elsewhere. The change in his cousin's attitude was bothering him. Since the dementor attack, Dudley was acting as though he and Harry were childhood friends. Harry liked the change but couldn't just ignore the years of bullying. Sure, he appreciated the apology, but it didn't erase the past. Every time he looked at Dudley, his heart would still beat just a little faster, out of habit. He tried to forget about it, to pretend that the past was unimportant, but the fear still lingered in the back of his mind. Even as they ran at Hogwarts, his territory, he still had a spark of doubt in his mind that something would set his cousin off and the boy would return to his tormenting ways. If someone told him at the start of summer that he'd spend time with Dudley, actually talking to the boy, he would have thought the person was crazy. Time, Harry decided, was the only way to rid his mind of his doubts.

Thinking about it as he made his way to see Remus, Harry had to admit to himself that time was also doing a good job at changing his perception of Snape. Though he didn't inflict physical punishments, his verbal and emotional jabs were far superior to the punches, kicks, and taunts that Dudley flung at him. He hated Snape and loathed being in the same room as the man. But that had changed. As ordered by Dumbledore, Harry changed his attitude around the man. Like with Dudley, he didn't forget the history of insults from Snape, but the change in the man's behavior certainly was making it easier to push the past aside and move on.

Harry had never seen Snape act so…thoughtful. It felt strange to think of the man caring about another human being besides himself, but he realized he thought of Snape differently ever since the incident with the cutting curse. Instead of mocking him for crying or yelling at him for getting hurt, Snape reassured him and, in his own way, comforted him. Harry shook his head. This summer was full of surprises and it wasn't even over yet. Between the fall of the wards, the Dursleys using Hogwarts as a temporary home, Snape's changing behavior, Dumbledore's talk about the Horcruxes, and his new looks after the healing potion, Harry was actually looking forward to school starting again so life could get back to normal.

Harry knocked on Remus's door, eager to spend some time with the man.

"Afternoon, Harry," Remus greeted with a smile. "Come on in. Sit anywhere you'd like."

"Thanks," Harry responded as he entered and took a seat on the sofa.

Remus moved to sit on an armchair across from Harry. "I was hoping you'd stop by today," Remus said as he poured them both some tea from a pot on the table between them.

"How's your leg?" Remus asked as he sat and sipped his tea.

"It's good. A little stiff when I woke up, but I went jogging with Dudley and it feels normal now," Harry replied as he kicked off his trainers and crossed his legs, unconsciously mirroring Remus's relaxed posture.

"You took your cousin out?" Remus asked. "How'd that go?"

"It was really strange. He was acting nice to me. I think it was the first time we've spent together where he didn't pick a fight or get me in trouble. The only thing I can think of to explain the change is the dementor attack. Do they have some effect on people like that? I mean, they didn't try to suck out his soul and only get out the bad bits, did they?"

Remus smiled, "I'm afraid it's not that simple. I really wish it was though. We could just surround Voldemort and his followers with dementors and rid them of the "bad bits" as you called it."

More seriously, Remus continued, "You know that the dementors have you relive some of your worst memories. It's been theorized that in some individuals, Muggles in particular, that the flashbacks can play a role in one's conscience. The difference is that wizards and witches can see dementors while Muggles cannot. For them, it's almost like a near death experience, and surviving such soul searching can really alter one's psyche and what they feel is important in life."

"So they experience more of an internal attack and we don't because we see it for what it is, an attack by a magical being?" Harry asked, intrigued.

"Exactly. The dementors use horrible memories that we have as a ploy to weaken us in order to steal our souls. Of course, neither interpretation is wrong, but it is fascinating how different people can see or experience the same thing and come away from it with varying responses," Remus added.

Both were quiet for a moment, lost in thought and drinking their tea in companionable silence.

"Did you happen to run into your aunt and uncle?" Remus asked casually, but Harry could tell the man was a little worried.

"It was okay. Uncle Vernon was at work, thankfully, but my aunt was there. Dudley had to get permission from her to come with me," Harry answered.

"Based on what I saw when they arrived here, I'm surprised she agreed," Remus responded.

"You haven't seen my cousin beg. He turned into a two year old, stamping his foot and throwing a fit until he got his way. I guess the dementors could only change him so much," Harry chuckled.

"I'm glad to hear she didn't give you too much of a hard time," Remus added.

"Well, she did say something you'll never believe. She thought I was Snape in disguise," Harry said, making a face as though the thought was ridiculous.

"Did she?" Remus asked, taking a long sip of tea, "That is a pretty unbelievable thought."

"She said something about my new features. Do you think I look like Snape now? I mean, I saw that picture showing that she and my mum knew him as a kid. Maybe I reminded her of him with my robes? I dunno. It's just…I was so used to looking just like my dad and now I have to search to find similarities," Harry nervously admitted.

"Oh, Harry," Remus sighed. "When I sit here, I see a young man that makes me more proud of him every day. I used to see a boy with his father's face and his mother's eyes, but then I got to know you. Now I see you, Harry, a wonderful person with a kind heart. You are protective of those you care for and fiercely loyal. Those are the traits you got from your mother and father that matter, not the shape of your nose or the color of your hair," Remus answered seriously.

Harry blushed, uncomfortable with all the praise, but none the less, he was put at ease.

"About your leg," Remus began, and Harry was grateful for the change of subject. "I read up on the healing potions and spells Professor Snape used. The stiffness is to be expected for another day or two until the tissue can regain its full elasticity or stretch. I don't know if Severus told you or not, but defense lessons are cancelled for tonight and tomorrow to make sure you are fully healed. Unfortunately," Remus added with a smirk, "Occlumency lessons are still on."

"Thanks for the good news," Harry responded sarcastically, flinging a biscuit at Remus. It hit the man in the forehead.

Remus feigned confusion. "It must be my lucky day. Treats are falling from the sky!" Remus smiled, munching on the biscuit.

Harry laughed and Remus waved his hand, sending a biscuit towards Harry, smacking the boy in the cheek.

"Looks like you're pretty lucky today, too," Remus joked.

-333-

After his talk with Remus, he went back to look at some of his mother's pictures. He found another that featured Snape and his mum. They were sitting next to each other at a dinner table, smiling, with Petunia in the background, her hand on Snape's shoulder. He wanted to ask Snape about it but needed the right segue to begin the discussion. He knew his father was a sore subject to Snape. Was that why he didn't talk about his mother, either? But they looked like friends. Harry wanted to know what went on between the two, especially after the Headmaster's story about the childhood friendship between the young boy and girl.

It was a strange story for Harry to think back upon because he could really identify with the boy that he suspected was Snape. Dumbledore said the boy was mistreated by his family, grew up without friends and with old, ratty clothes. Hogwarts had been his escape, too. He couldn't imagine what his life would have been like if he left the Dursleys, only to come to Hogwarts and experience the same harassment and tormenting.

Harry cursed internally. He was starting to feel sorry for Snape, the greasy git of the dungeons who had made it his life's mission to ensure that there was always one person ridiculing Harry, even if it was Snape himself.

Sooner than he hoped, Harry was knocking on Snape's office door, a whole two minutes before his scheduled Occlumency lesson. He braced himself. Snape was different lately. He was determined to use that to his advantage and ask about his mother.

"Potter. Sit down," Snape said as he opened the door and waved Harry in.

Harry wearily took a seat in one of the chairs in front of Snape's desk. He was nervous, knowing that sitting meant talking, which typically did not bode well for Harry.

Snape sat behind his desk, folded his hands over his wand and just stared at him. Harry didn't know what to think. He knew he wasn't using Legilimency, but the longer the time passed with Snape scanning his features, the more uncomfortable Harry became.

"Sir?" Harry asked, unnerved by the silence.

That must have been enough to release Snape from his thoughts, as the man suddenly stood, pointing his wand at Harry. He had no time to react before Snape silently shot a spell at him.

"What the hell was that?" Harry asked angrily, searching himself for some negative effect due to the spell.

"Language, Potter," Snape remarked, retaking his seat. "It was a simple healing charm to detect injuries. I wanted to monitor the healing of your leg without mindless interference," Snape sneered. "It appears that you have suffered no lasting damage, so we'll resume defense lessons in two days."

"Oh, good," Harry remarked. "Thanks for mending it," he added.

Snape ignored the expression of gratitude and remained silent, so Harry decided to risk his life and ask the question he had been itching to ask since he walked into the room.

"Sir? There's something I've been wanting to ask you," Harry began, and when Snape didn't protest, he continued. "Well, you see, the Headmaster gave me a box of photos from my Aunt's house. It was full of pictures of my mum growing up."

Harry watched as Snape's grip tightened on his wand, but he ducked his head, deciding to just blurt it out. "I know you two were friends. Can you tell me more about her and what you did together?"

Harry held his breath and glanced up at Snape. He looked ill.

"Who put you up to this?" Snape hissed, leaning forward in his chair. "Was it Lupin?"

Harry was taken aback. "What? No, no one told me to say something. Look, I have a picture here."

Harry stood and pulled the photo out of his back pocket, thrusting it in front of Snape's face.

Snape stared at the photo, and to Harry's shock, Snape's pursed lips relaxed and curved slightly upwards into a small smile. Another emotion crossed his face that Harry couldn't quite place. Sorrow, maybe?

His expression disappeared as he turned back to Harry, pushing the photo off to the side of his desk.

"You will not mention any of this to your little friends, or anyone else for that matter," Snape stated.

"Of course, sir," Harry replied automatically to his statement, eager to hear what Snape had to say.

"Yes, Lily and I were friends growing up. I lived nearby and introduced myself after I saw her do accidental magic. She was the first magical person my age that I met," Snape explained.

"What was she like? What did she like to do for fun? What was her favorite food? What were her parents like?" Harry blurted out.

Snape raised his hand and Harry quieted.

"She enjoyed the Muggle game 'hide and go seek' and liked strawberries. Lily was a beautiful person, inside and out," Snape said distractedly, his eyes focused on the picture.

"What else?" Harry asked excitedly, surprised by Snape's willingness to speak about his mother and wanting to draw as much out of him as possible.

"That's enough. You've already wasted too much time. Occlumency will be a bit different tonight. I'm going to search for specific memories triggered by a word. The Dark Lord won't give you a hint about what he is looking for if he enters your mind; however, your abysmal performance in Occlumency dictates that I slow down the pace," Snape sneered.

"In addition," Snape continued, "your recent discovery has given me an idea. As an added incentive, if you make progress in Occlumency, I'll answer one question about your mother at the end of each session."

Harry didn't know what to think. First the man ridiculed him, now he appeared to actually be attempting to teach him and was offering him stories about his mum. However, he didn't thank Snape – or say anything, for that matter – because he wasn't about to anger the man who was about to raid his mind. Snape could choose any word he wanted, drawing out horrible memories that Harry hoped to avoid.

"Stand up," Snape commanded, walking towards Harry.

Once the two were in position, Harry took a deep breath and readied himself for the attack, trying to refocus on the lesson.

"We'll start with Hogwarts houses. I'll name a house and attempt to pull memories of that house to the forefront of your thoughts. Your goal is to stop me," Snape explained. "Ready?"

At Harry's nod, Snape said, "Ravenclaw." A split second later he raised his wand, "Legilimens."

Harry was talking to Neville, Luna sitting in the same cabin as she read her Quibbler upside down.

Harry was flying on his broom, chasing after the snitch with Cho Chang at his side.

He was at the Yule Ball, watching with jealousy as Cho danced with Cedric.

'No,' Harry thought, struggling to push Snape out.

Cedric was laying in the graveyard, his lifeless eyes staring up at the sky.

Sirius face looked stunned as he was shot into the veil.

Harry heard screaming and realized it was his own. 'No!' he growled, not wanting to keep replaying Sirius's death in his head.

Luna was looking for her stolen belongings, comforting a grieving Harry by telling him that while she can't bring her mother back, she knows they will see each other again.

'Enough!' Harry roared and pushed with all his mental strength, finally removing Snape from his mind.

Harry was on his knees, gasping for breath. He wiped the tears off of his face and calmed himself a bit before standing and facing Snape.

"You need to focus! That example demonstrates the power that even a benign word like Ravenclaw can have to draw out your deepest secrets. I was easily able to reach other thoughts because of your emotions attached to memories," Snape explained.

"I'm trying!" Harry demanded, "But it's hard."

"It may be difficult for you, but think of the alternative! Do you want the Dark Lord to see what I just saw? Do you want him to know who your friends are and what memories he can use against you?" Snape asked.

"You know I don't!" Harry yelled.

"Watch your temper," Snape remarked, pointing his wand at Harry.

"Again," Snape spoke and Harry once again prepared himself as best he could.

"The next word is Slytherin. Legilimens."

Harry was sitting under the Sorting Hat as it told him he would be great in Slytherin.

Harry watched as the Slytherin Quidditch team walked toward him and the other Gryffindors, all carrying new brooms.

He was hiding in an alcove, listening in as students passing him were calling him the Heir of Slytherin.

Tom Riddle was talking to him in the Chamber of Secrets as basilisk poison was slowly spreading through Harry's body.

He was wearing Slytherin robes and entering the Slytherin common room, the face of Goyle reflected in the mirror as he passed by.

'Oh, no!' Harry thought as he strengthened his force against Snape, who seemed to be pushing into his mind even harder after that memory.

Dumbledore was telling Harry about the Horcruxes, showing a hologram image of Slytherin's locket.

'Get out!' Harry growled as he struggled against Snape.

Harry was at Grimmauld Place with Sirius and the Weasleys, ridding the room of Dark artifacts. They were passing around a locket, none of them able to open it.

Harry was thrown back on the stone floor as Snape ended the spell.

"What was that?" Snape asked.

"Well, in second year," Harry began, attempting to explain away his presence in the Slytherin common room.

"Not that," Snape growled, "The locket! You had it!"

Harry thought back for a second before remembering the last memory of the locket.

"We have it!" Harry said excitedly. "Slytherin's locket is at Grimmauld Place!" he added with a smile. "We have to tell Dumbledore."

"It's Headmaster Dumbledore, Potter," Snape corrected as he strode over to the floo. "Waiting for an invitation?" Snape mocked as he held out a jar of floo powder.

Harry just glared, taking out a handful of powder and shouting, "Headmaster's Office!" before vanishing in green flames.

Harry fell out of the Headmaster's fireplace, landing on his hands and knees with a muttered "oomph" as the wind was knocked out of him.

Seconds later, Snape strode into the office, stepping over Harry to approach the Headmaster who sat behind his desk and was looking up from a giant stack of papers at the two of them.

"To what do I owe this visit from two of my favorite people?" Dumbledore asked serenely.

"The boy has known of the location of Slytherin's locket for months!" Snape exclaimed.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you like this early Valentine's Day present! Feel free to submit a review…it's better for my waistline than a box of chocolates :)

First off, thanks for all the amazing reviews! It brightens my day to read what you think and it helps to know what parts you like the best. Keep them coming! Also, thanks to all of you that added my little fic to alerts or favorites lists! You guys are great! Ok…I better stop the thanking for now because I'm starting to sound like an awards show.

As always, updates on the progress of upcoming chapters can be found on my profile page at fanfiction dot net.

Coming up: We're off to find the Horcrux!