Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: See Ch. 1
Reunions and Mourning

Harry suddenly found himself surrounded by green flames.  He could hear the voices of others calling his name.  One in particular sounded familiar.

“Sirius?”  Harry asked as he looked for a way to escape the fire. 

When the people spoke again, Harry was sure one of them was his godfather.  The flames were rising and getting closer.

“Sirius!  Help me!”  Harry shouted, but the voices began to sound further away. 

Reaching into his pocket for his wand, Harry instead found the Marauder’s Map.  Despite not having a wand, the map was already activated.  As he scanned the surface, all of the names on the parchment flashed in and out of focus. 

“Help me!”  Harry shouted again in panic.  The voices calling his name slowly faded away, with Sirius’s voice the last to leave.  Once the voices vanished, Harry started to feel the flames burning his arms as they licked his skin.

“No!” Harry shrieked and awoke, sweat soaked and panting.  It took a few seconds, but as his disorientation faded, Harry sighed.  He ran his hands over his arms, which were tingling and itching slightly.  As he rubbed his arms, Harry thought about what his odd dream meant.

‘The past few days must be getting to my head,’ Harry thought.

 After regaining his breath and waiting for his arms to feel normal again, Harry put on his glasses and headed for the shower. 

Once clean and dressed, Harry headed down to the Great Hall.  Despite the unsettling dream, Harry realized he was starving.  As he caught a whiff of the house elves’ cooking, his stomach growled.

Entering the Great Hall, Harry saw that all of the remaining Professors were already assembled and seated at the Head Table, which was smaller and looked strikingly similar to the dining table at Number 12 Grimmauld Place.  Professors McGonagall and Snape were seated next to each other, directly across from Professor Dumbledore and Hagrid.

“Harry!”  Hagrid shouted happily as he jumped up from the table, spilling his tea and nearly upsetting Professor Dumbledore’s in the process.  Professor McGonagall shook her head and vanished the mess.

“How ‘re ye?” Hagrid asked as he gave Harry a hug, lifting him off of his feet and squeezing so hard that Harry could barely breathe.

“I’m good, Hagrid!  I’ve missed you!” Harry squeaked.

Hagrid put Harry down and added, “I’ve been worried ‘bout ye, Harry.  When I heard what them Death Eaters did, I was afraid I’d lost ye.”

Hagrid began to sniffle, making Harry uncomfortable. 

“I’m alright, Hagrid.  Just a little hungry,” Harry remarked with a smile, hoping to cheer up his friend. 

“Ye should be after two weeks with them lousy muggles,” responded Hagrid as they both turned back to the table where a space for Harry was waiting between Dumbledore and Hagrid. 

“Hello, Headmaster, Professors,” Harry greeted as he took his seat.

When he looked up, his green eyes met the piercing dark eyes of the Potions professor.  Harry turned his head to avoid Snape’s glare and focused the rest of his attention on Hagrid’s stories.  Throughout the meal, he did his best to avoid glancing at Snape.  It was bad enough that he had to endure Occlumency and dueling lessons with him later that day. 

Just as everyone was finishing, the doors to the Great Hall creaked open.

“Remus!” Harry shouted excitedly as Remus Lupin entered the room along with a purple haired Nymphadora Tonks. 

“Hi, Tonks!” Harry added, noticing that she and Remus were holding hands.

Tonks smiled at Harry and winked at him.  Remus looked like his normal self, albeit a little tired.

“Harry,” Remus smiled as he approached the table.

Tonks let go of his hand and Remus stepped up to the now standing Harry.  Putting his hands on Harry’s shoulders, Remus looked Harry in the eye and asked, “How are you doing?”

Not wanting to discuss anything in front of the others, Harry replied rapidly, “I’m okay, Remus.  How are you?  Are you injured?  When I saw you at Privet Drive--”

Remus chuckled and interrupted, “I’m fine, Harry.  St. Mungo’s patched me up as good as new.  The biting boils managed to gnaw off a couple of my toes; otherwise I would have been back sooner.”

Suddenly, Professor Snape’s deep voice echoed in the room, “A reunion.  How touching.”

Snape stood.  “It’s about time you showed up, Lupin.  I’m not about to conduct Potter’s dueling lesson today by myself.  You may be preoccupied by romance,” Snape sneered, glancing at Tonks, “but some of us have more pressing matters to attend to.”

Turning to Harry, Snape remarked, “One hour, Potter.  Don’t be late,” and left the Hall.

Remus chuckled, grabbing and squeezing Tonks’ hand, whose hair was now a fire red and standing on end.  As her hair color turned purple again, Remus released her hand and commented, “Severus always knows how to give a person a warm welcome.”

Dumbledore stood and grasped Remus’s hand, “I’m glad to see you’re feeling better, Remus.  We have much to discuss.”

Remus then turned back to Harry, “I must talk with the Professors for a bit.  I’ll see you in the Defense classroom in an hour.  We can talk after our lessons.”

“Okay.  I’m glad you’re back,” Harry added softly.

“Me too,” Remus responded, patting Harry on the arm.  “Go on, now,” he smiled.

Harry said goodbye to the Professors and Tonks gave him a quick hug and ruffled his hair as he headed back to Gryffindor Tower. 

-333-

An hour later, Harry entered the Defense classroom with the map in his pocket.  He had checked it again after lunch and his name was still flickering. 

“On time for once, Potter,” Snape sneered as he entered the classroom a minute later along with Remus. 

Snape stalked past Harry and began levitating the desks against the wall, stacking them to clear a generous space in the center of the room.  Remus and Harry moved to the center of the room and Remus began explaining what would happen during the lesson.

“In real life, proper dueling etiquette does not apply.  You’ll have to protect yourself from enemies that fight dirty and you often have to deal with more than one opponent at a time,” Remus told Harry in an uncharacteristically serious tone.

Remus cleared his throat and continued, this time in an upbeat manner, “That’s where I come in!  I know you and Professor Snape already had a dueling lesson.  Those will continue, providing you with spells to add to your arsenal.  These sessions will give you a chance to practice in a simulated combat situation.  Professor Snape and I will act as your opponents.  Your goal is to successfully disarm both of us as quickly as possible.”

Harry was stunned.  “I have to duel both of you?  At the same time?”

Remus chuckled and Snape, who had finished stacking furniture and was now transfiguring chairs into trees, glared at Harry.

“What did you expect, Potter?  It’s about time you realized there are people that know more than you,” Snape replied.

Remus, who must have sensed Harry’s unease and the rising the tension in the room, interrupted, “Yes, Harry.  I find the best way to learn is to practice in a controlled setting.  There will be no dark curses, of course.”

Not wanting to seem intimidated, Harry glared back at Snape for a few seconds before shifting his eyes to prevent an unwanted mental invasion.

Looking around the room, Harry was surprised by the changes Snape made.  The center of the room where Harry stood continued to look like the defense classroom.  The perimeter of the room looked like a strange forest.  Large oak trees grew through the stone floor and large stones were scattered about.  One corner of the classroom was shrouded in darkness and a fine mist floated in the air near the opposite wall.  

“Ready, Potter?” Snape asked in a neutral tone. 

“Yes, sir,” Harry responded, gripping his wand tighter.

Snape pointed his wand at a timer hovering above the classroom door, “You have thirty seconds to find suitable cover.  When the timer releases red sparks, the mock battle will commence.”

“Good luck, Harry,” Remus added as Snape activated the timer with a flick of his wrist.

Harry turned and surveyed the room.  He thought about hiding in the darkened corner, but rejected that idea quickly because the darkness would make finding his enemies difficult.  Instead, Harry chose the region covered in mist and fog.  He hid behind a tree trunk and when he turned to face the center of the room, Snape and Remus were gone. 

The timer released a jet of brilliant red sparks, signaling the start of the battle.  Harry remained quiet, choosing to keep his location hidden and instead let one of the others make the first move.

Harry didn’t hear the incantation, but watched as what looked to be a Stunner sped towards him.  Harry dodged the red spell, only to see a shimmering jet of purple fly in his direction.

Protego!” Harry shouted, causing the purple light to rebound off of his shield. 

Unfortunately, by casting the shield Harry gave away his location.  He quickly ran out of the mist, narrowly avoiding a blasting curse that blew a hole in the tree he was hiding behind.  Pieces of bark flew violently in all directions, one of which hit Harry in the face, cutting his cheek.

As Harry wiped the blood off of his face with his sleeve, he ducked and threw himself behind a boulder to avoid a yellow jet of light that he guessed was a curse that caused a person to feel as though they were being stabbed by an imaginary dagger.  The curse was not dark, but Harry knew that Snape had cast that spell. 

Panting, Harry yelled, “Expelliarmus,” aiming in Snape’s direction.

To the left, a blue stream of light sped towards Harry.  He tried to move out of its path, hiding behind a nearly oak, but the beam made a sharp turn and continued towards him. 

Protego Horribilis!” Harry shouted, thinking that a spell that followed the target might penetrate the standard Shield Charm.

The blue jet hit the shield with a resounding boom, causing Harry to lose his balance and hit his elbow hard on the stone floor.

Grasping his wand arm in pain, Harry scurried back behind a tree and yelled, “Ateles blanos!

Harry heard a groan and a thud, proof that the spell to make his opponent a blind, ineffective fighter hit its target.  Harry stepped out from behind the tree, eager to cast the Disarming Spell on his fallen opponent. 

“Ugh,” Harry groaned as an orange jet of light hit his right thigh. 

Harry ducked behind another tree and watched as his thigh got smaller and smaller until his right leg was a bit shorter than his left.  He cursed under his breath as a muttered Finite Incantatem failed to restore his leg to its original length.  Harry was still able to stand, but he knew that he wouldn’t be able to move as quickly as he normally would.

As he peered around the tree trunk, Harry saw Snape move behind a nearby tree.

Furnunculus!” Harry shouted, but Snape easily dodged the spell.

Snape sent another spell that Harry didn’t know towards him.  Instead of producing another shield charm, Harry saw that the area of darkness was to his left.  Hobbling on his uneven legs, Harry entered the darkness, bending low to shield himself from Snape behind a fallen branch.

Expelliarmus!” Harry yelled.

He hoped that his change in location would enable the spell to strike Snape.  Harry was growing tired, sweat sliding down his face to mingle with the blood from the cut on his cheek.  His elbow was sore and standing on his disproportionate legs was starting to become painful.

Suddenly, Harry heard the sound of footsteps clattering on the stone floor.  He spun around, but in the total blackness, he couldn’t see anything. 

Harry took a deep breath, ready to shout the Disarming Spell, when his wand was wrenched from his grip. 

“Time!” Remus shouted from in front of Harry. 

The darkness lifted and with a sharp pop the trees and boulders disappeared and the classroom was restored to its normal appearance.  

“Good job, Harry!” Remus exclaimed as he gave Harry his wand back.

Remus quickly restored his thigh to normal size and cast a healing charm on the cut to his cheek. 

“Thanks,” Harry said with a tired smile.

“I wouldn’t advise handing out praise after today’s performance,” Snape remarked as he joined Harry and Remus.

“What a surprise,” Harry mumbled. 

With a sharp glare at Harry, Snape continued angrily, “Potter, your spell connected with Lupin, but you failed to disarm him!  Would you congratulate someone who attempted to cast a Patronus and only produced mist?”

“I would in a classroom!” Harry retorted.

“This isn’t about classwork, Potter!  This is about saving lives!” responded Snape fiercely.

“I know that,” Harry muttered, his anger suddenly extinguished by Snape’s comment.

Calmly, Remus turned to Harry and stated, “You did do very well today, Harry, despite Professor Snape’s grievances.  You did fail to disarm me, which I presume after today you will not forget.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry responded, answering Remus’s rhetorical question.

Remus turned to Snape and added, “That is, after all, what these lessons are all about.”

Snape glared back at Remus but did not respond. 

Snape turned and headed to the door.  Standing in the doorway, he turned back and sneered, “My office immediately after supper, Potter.  Do not be late,” before sweeping out of the room.

Harry began to feel anxious about the evening’s Occlumency lesson and it must have shown on his face because Remus moved in front of Harry and put a hand on his shoulder.

“You did do very well today, Harry.  Severus knows it as well, but would never admit it,” Remus added. 

“Thanks, Remus.  I knew a lot of the spells that you and Snape used, but can you show me the ones I didn’t know? Harry asked.

Professor Snape will be going over those spells during your next dueling lesson.  The spells the two of us use in these mock battles are carefully chosen before each session so that you can see them in practice before your dueling lessons,” Remus answered.

“That’s a good idea,” responded Harry.

“Yes, I thought so too when Severus told me that was his plan.”

Considering Snape’s horrible Potions lessons, Harry was shocked that the dour man came up with a decent teaching plan. 

Remus chuckled, “I don’t know about you, but I think I’ve talked enough about Professor Snape for one day.  How about we go for a walk?”

 “Can I get my Firebolt first?  McGonagall gave it back at the end of the year, but I haven’t taken it out since Umbridge banned me from playing,” Harry responded eagerly.

“Sure.  Meet me in the Entrance Hall in five minutes,” said Remus.

-333-

Just as it looked like Harry was going to slam into the ground, he pulled his broom up and landed smoothly on the grass.  Harry was out of breath but smiling brightly as he walked over to Remus, who was sitting in a conjured lawn chair.

“That was amazing!  I didn’t realize how much I missed flying,” Harry said excitedly as he sat down in another chair and grabbed a glass of pumpkin juice off of the small table between him and Remus.

Remus smiled, “James and Sirius were the same way.  Soon after the O.W.L exams, they were banned from flying until the end of the year.  All they could talk about was Quidditch until they got their brooms back from Professor McGonagall just as everyone was boarding the thestral carriages.  Sirius and James were so excited that they left their bags and flew to Hogsmeade Station.”

Harry smiled and Remus started to laugh, “Professor McGonagall gave up chasing them at the school gates.  If it wasn’t for me, they would have spent the summer starkers.  I wound up having to lug three trunks to the station.”

Harry enjoyed the story, but couldn’t stop thinking about all he had missed out on.

“I miss him, Remus,” Harry confided quietly.

“So do I,” Remus said sadly. 

“I’m sorry,” Harry said hesitantly, staring at his hands.

“What for?” Remus asked as he turned to face Harry.

“It was my fault,” Harry muttered. 

“What was your fault?” Remus asked confusedly. 

Harry stood up and began pacing anxiously.

“I’m so sorry, Remus!  If it wasn’t for me, Sirius never would’ve left Grimmauld Place and he’d still be alive!  It’s all my fault--” Harry answered dejectedly and turned away from Remus.

“Harry, no!” Remus said strongly. 

Remus grabbed Harry’s shoulder and spun him around.  Harry was determined not to look Remus in the eyes.

“Listen to me, Harry,” Remus responded, grasping Harry’s shoulders tightly.  “It was not your fault!  You didn’t know Voldemort sent you a false vision.  It was not your fault.”

“Yes, it was!” Harry responded angrily.  He pulled away from Remus’s grasp and turned around, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand.

Harry turned back around and countered, his voice raising, “I didn’t even try!  I was getting visions for months, Remus!  I should’ve tried harder at Occlumency and I shouldn’t have let Snape end the lessons!” 

Harry paused, breathing heavily, and said despondently, “I never even opened it.”

“Oh, Harry,” Remus responded sympathetically.  “Look at me,” Remus said as he stepped closer to Harry.

“It’s not your fault.  Dumbledore and the rest of the Order thought it would be best to tell you as little as possible due to Voldemort’s ability to penetrate your mind.  We should have known that you wouldn’t fully appreciate the need to learn Occlumency.  You weren’t given a clear explanation as to why it was so important, so it is understandable that you might not work as hard,” Remus explained.

“But I didn’t have to go running to the Ministry.  Everything would have been fine if I just used the mirror,” Harry responded, upset with himself.

“You don’t know that, Harry.  I tried to spend as much time with Sirius as possible, but he wasn’t handling staying at Headquarters very well.  I had to physically stop him from leaving and joining in Order missions several times.  It’s likely that had you told Sirius about your vision that he would have gone to the Department of Mysteries anyway to ensure that the prophecy was protected,” Remus countered forcefully. 

“But I never even opened it!” Harry shouted.

“Voldemort and the Death Eaters are to blame, not you!” Remus said just as loudly and put his hands on Harry’s shoulders. 

“It’s not your fault,” Remus said firmly.

Harry closed his eyes and shook his head.  “It is,” he whispered.

“It’s not your fault.  Say it,” Remus commanded.

“I can’t,” Harry choked.

“Yes you can.  It’s not your fault,” Remus repeated.

“It’s not my fault,” Harry whispered, a tear streaking down his cheek.

“It isn’t your fault, Harry.  I don’t think so and neither would Sirius,” Remus said with conviction.

“It’s not my fault,” Harry said strongly, his eyes watering.

“That’s right,” Remus said gently as he pulled Harry closer and wrapped his arms around him.

Harry was momentarily started by the contact, but quickly wrapped his arms around his friend.

“Thanks, Remus,” Harry whispered in Remus’s ear as he clung to his robe. 

Remus tightened his arms around Harry as the two mourned the loss of their friend.

-333-

“Next time, contact me sooner when something’s bothering you, okay?” Remus said about an hour later as he finished regaling Harry with more stories of Sirius’s Hogwarts days.

“Okay,” Harry responded, sipping his pumpkin juice.

“After all, what are friends for?” Remus asked with a smile.

“Speaking of friends, you and Tonks looked especially friendly earlier,” Harry commented with a mischievous grin.

Remus blushed, “She was asking me to go out after every Order meeting and I always declined, making up all kinds of excuses.  I liked her, but I didn’t think I’d be good for her.  After Sirius died, my rationale for not pursuing anything didn’t seem too important anymore.”

Harry smiled, “I’m glad you’re happy.”

“I am,” Remus smiled shyly.

“How about you?  What have you been up to since being back at Hogwarts?” Remus asked.

“Well, after Dobby covered Uncle Vernon in soup, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon decided that they were too normal to associate with wizards, so they’ve been holed up in their rooms ever since,” Harry said mirthfully. 

Remus chuckled, “I sorry I missed that.  How about your cousin?”

Harry rolled his eyes, “Yesterday, Dudley, in his brilliance, decided that he’d sneak out and roam the castle.  How someone that large can get lost is beyond me, but the Headmaster made me and Snape search for him.  Thankfully I had the map, so it didn’t take too long.”

“That map was definitely one of the better ideas that we came up with at school,” Remus noted. 

Harry pulled the map out of his pocket and commented, “There was something weird on it, though.”

Remus looked concerned and leaned closer.  “You didn’t see anyone strange on the map, did you?” he asked.

“No, nothing like that,” Harry assured Remus, who appeared to relax.

Harry activated the map.  “What’s weird is that my name flickers.  Did you ever see that happen before?” Harry asked.

“Are you sure it wasn’t just the light?” Remus asked interestedly. 

“Yes, I’m sure.  I’ve checked it a bunch of times and it still does the same thing.  See?” Harry pointed to his name on the map.

“Hmm, I don’t recall seeing something like this before.  It’s strange that it’s only your name,” Remus muttered as he scanned the parchment. 

“I know.  That’s why I thought I’d ask you,” Harry commented.

“Do you mind if I keep the map for a little while?  I’ll be here in the castle for a bit so I’ll have the time to look into it,” Remus asked as he studied the parchment.

“Yeah, you can have it for a while.  I need it back before classes start, though,” Harry said with a playful grin.

Remus laughed, “You’ll have it back before the students return.  I wouldn’t deprive you of it for that long.”

“Thanks,” Harry remarked with a smile.

Remus folded the map and stuck it in his robe, pulling out his pocket watch.

“It’s almost time for dinner.  Why don’t we go inside?  You should change,” Remus said as he looked at Harry’s old robe, tattered and dirty from dueling and flying.

“Okay,” Harry returned as they both got up and headed back to the castle.

-333-

Harry ate his food incredibly slow, hoping to delay the inevitable.  When Dumbledore got up to leave, Harry knew that he couldn’t claim he was still eating and headed down to Snape’s office for his Occlumency lessons. 

As Harry reached up to knock on the door, it flew open.  Harry jumped and cautiously entered.

Snape was sitting behind his desk with his wand next to him.  He clasped his hands and gestured for Harry to take a seat in one of the utilitarian chairs in front of his desk.

“Before we begin, there are some rules that I must address,” Snape intoned.

Harry daringly interrupted, “Sir, before you start, there’s something I wanted to say.  I’m sorry I looked in your Pensieve.  I swear I never told anyone about what I saw.  I did ask Remus and Sirius about it, but that was only because I was appalled my father would do something like that.  I really am sorry I invaded your privacy.”

“Are you done?” Snape sneered at Harry.

When Harry nodded, Snape continued, “Don’t mention that incident to me ever again, do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir,” Harry responded cautiously.

“As I was saying, there are some guidelines you must follow.  First, I expect you to be punctual.  If you are even one minute late, there will be consequences.  Second, as I will also be attempting to teach you Legilimency, any of my memories that you stumble across during these lessons will not leave this room,” Snape stated firmly.

“Yes, sir.  But you can’t tell anyone about what you see either or use it against me in class,” Harry countered.

“Potter, this is not a negotiation,” Snape snarled, clasping his hands and leaning towards Harry.

“I never said it was.  I just think that if I keep your memories private, then it’s only fair that you do the same for me,” Harry added in rebuttal. 

“You are a student, Potter.  Democracy and fairness are unimportant,” Snape began.

“But—,” Harry interrupted.

Snape raised his hand for silence and continued, “However, I will endeavor to extend the same consideration to you.”

“Thank you, sir,” Harry managed to reply, despite being stunned that Snape had agreed to his demands.

“Now,” Snape began in his professorial tone, “The key to Occlumency is clearing one’s mind.  Since you obviously failed to grasp this simple concept, allow me to explain it in a different manner.  What do you think about in the few minutes before you fall asleep?”

“What do my sleeping habits have to do with Occlumency?” Harry asked.

“Potter, will you just answer the question?” Snape asked exasperatedly.

Harry thought for a second.  “Um, I’m not really sure.  I can’t remember thinking about anything,” Harry responded, wondering where Snape was headed with this line of questioning.

“Exactly,” Snape replied.  “In those few minutes before you lose consciousness, you have no thoughts on your mind.  At this time, you have cleared your mind.  That state of emptiness, or peace as some say, is what you must achieve when someone is attempting to penetrate your mind.”

“Why didn’t you say that before?  How was I supposed to know what ‘clear your mind’ meant if you didn’t explain it to me?” Harry asked, finally understanding what he had to do.

“I assumed that would be obvious, Potter.  Now stand so we can begin,” Snape sneered as he grabbed his wand and got to his feet.

Harry waited for Snape’s attack to begin immediately, but was surprised when Snape simply stood and stared at him for about a minute.  Harry used the time to try and clear his mind.

“Ready?” Snape asked silkily.

Harry nodded.

Legilimens!” Snape uttered.

Harry tried to keep his mind empty, but his memories prickled at the surface and began to appear. 

Harry was standing in front of the Mirror of Erised, nose pressed to the glass and calling out for his parents. Aunt Marge was insulting his parents and slowly began to inflate. Uncle Vernon threw a much younger Harry in his cupboard for doing accidental magic at school. Sirius was asking a joyful Harry to come live with him. 

‘No!’ Harry thought, fighting against Snape’s attack.  A vague memory of Sirius drifted past his consciousness as Harry gave one final push and ejected Snape from his mind.

Harry looked up to see Snape looking surprised before the man’s face returned to its regular scowl.

“Much better, Potter,” Snape uttered.

Harry felt his mouth open in shock, stunned to hear a word of praise directed towards him coming out of Snape’s mouth.

As Harry was about to thank him, Snape continued, “It’s about time you grasped the concept, but your barriers are still far too weak to pierce.  The Dark Lord will not give you time to prepare.”

Harry glared at Snape, ready to refute his comments, but Snape had gestured for him to get ready for another attack. 

Legilimens!” Snape snarled.

This time, Harry was only able to hold Snape back for a few seconds before he was assaulted with memories.

Harry was four and was crying for his Mummy and Daddy as he awoke from a nightmare of green light. Wormtail was sobbing over his amputated hand while Voldemort was rising out of a cauldron. Sirius was fighting Bellatrix in the Department of Mysteries.  A jet of light struck Sirius, who looked stunned as he began to fall into the veil… 

“NO!” Harry shouted aloud.

Suddenly, the memories stopped and Harry was kneeling on the ground, panting.  Not wanting to look weak in front of Snape, Harry got up and tried to calm his rapid breathing.  He was exhausted and felt as though he just ran several miles.  Harry looked towards Snape and saw scattered beads of perspiration across his forehead.

Harry must have looked tired, because Snape remarked, “Get used to it, Potter.  The force I used was a fraction of what the Dark Lord will employ in his attempts.  Furthermore--”

Snape stopped speaking at the sound of someone knocking at the office door.  “Enter!” Snape snarled.

“Remus!” Harry exclaimed in surprise.  His surprise faded to fear when he caught the expression on his friend’s face. 

“What’s wrong?,” Harry asked.

“Both of you need to come up to the Headmaster’s office,” Remus stated calmly.

Harry watched as Snape tensed, looking questioningly at Remus.  Remus shook his head and Snape appeared to calm before he turned, grabbed some Floo powder off of the mantle, and disappeared towards the Headmaster’s office in a mass of green flames.

Remus went over to the mantle and gestured for Harry to grab some powder as well.  Before they both prepared to leave Snape’s office, Remus looked Harry in the eyes.

“I figured out why the map was flickering,” Remus commented just before he disappeared.

Harry was confused by Remus’s solemn tone and tossed a mound of Floo powder into the flames, hoping that the Headmaster’s office held the answers he was looking for.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review and let me know what you think of this chapter! What did everyone think of the mock battle and Occlumency scenes? If you have added this fic to your alerts, favorites, or taken the time to review, thank you so much! Special thanks xHarryIsMyHomeboyx’s help with this chapter!

The next chapter should be up sooner; real life delayed this one a bit. I started my second year of medical school in the beginning of August and I’ve been focused on the 4 exams I’ve had in just one month’s time. Don’t worry, it will be completed!