Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Secret gifts raise suspicion; and you will know you have good friends if they don’t hesitate to stand up to you if they feel they should do so.
A Suspicious Gift

Severus and Minerva were in the middle of a discussion about their problematic charges' performance in their respective classes when a knock on the door sounded through Minerva's workroom. Or, Severus frowned, more a banging than a polite knock.

"Come in!" Minerva's tone conveyed that she also was somewhat displeased about the impoliteness.

An angry looking Harry came through the door with Granger and Weasley in his heels. Harry carried Nephele in his arms in the very same manner he had held her last night. Didn't the boy know that owls were to be carried on your hand or shoulder? At least if they weren't stuffed owls.

"Mr. Potter, explain," Minerva's face softened a little. "Whose is the owl? Is it hurt?"

Harry, instead of answering, turned to Granger and made a jerky motion with his head, indicating she should explain. Severus had enough of his son's manners. His knocking resembled a stampeding hippogriff and his behaviour was atrocious. Not that it was entirely Harry's fault, provided who had been raising him. Severus sneered as he remembered the obnoxious, fat Muggle.

"Potter!" he barked, "Greet your teachers when you come to see them. The same for you, Weasley! Five points from Gryffindor for your lack of manners."

"'lo," Harry muttered and Weasley's greeting wasn't much better. Severus seethed.

"You three, get out. Miss Granger may instruct the gentlemen how to behave properly when visiting your superior. Then you may knock again," he pointed his potion-stained finger to the door and glared at them for good measure.

The three of them cleared off quickly and Minerva laughed. "It's rather hilarious to see you playing a gentleman."

Severus leaned to her and said in hurried, urgent whisper, "Potter's owl was killed by his Uncle during Christmas. Try to make him talk about it." He hadn't managed to say more, before a much more timid knock could be heard.

Minerva didn't answer the door. She looked at Severus in shocked stupor, completely speechless.

"You should call them in, Minerva," Severus told her gently, and she did so, absentmindedly.

"Hello, Professors," three voices chorused.

"Hello," Severus responded, whilst Minerva only stared at Harry.

"Professor, we came to see you because of this owl," Granger started, giving herself airs, as usual. Severus noticed that Harry glared at her and hugged Nephele harder. Poor owl. "Harry got her last night and the donor didn't sign the letter."

Severus had to admit Granger had a point. He also had to acknowledge her bravery. She had borne Harry and Weasley's wrath over the Black's broomstick two years ago; yet she didn't hesitate to force Harry to have this anonymous present tested, regardless of facing Harry's strong displeasure. Weasley seemed to be somewhat neutral in this matter.

"I see, Miss Granger. Five points for your good sense," Minerva awarded her House the points back. Severus only rolled his eyes. Harry shot the Head of Gryffindor a betrayed glare. "Fortunately, unlike on a broomstick, there are only a few spells that can be used on an owl. We will be able to check momentarily. Severus, if you'll assist me..."

"Of course," he gave her a small bow and pulled out his wand. Harry's eyes widened and the boy quickly turned around, so that he was shielding the bird with his own body.

"Mr. Potter!" Minerva raised her hands in dismay. "I assure you your owl won't be hurt."

Potter only shook his head, glancing towards the door. Severus didn't want to wait till the boy made a run for it and he said, "Potter, it's abnormally foolish even for you to turn your back to us. I give you my word that... the owl won't be harmed." Damn. He nearly said 'Nephele', but caught himself in time.

Harry turned around slowly, his eyes suspicious. The owl tried to flap its wings, but couldn't.

"Mr. Potter, this is not a proper way to carry an owl, you have to let it sit on our forearm or shoulder freely," Minerva told the boy. He looked at her as if evaluating her honesty and then he put the bird on his forearm. The owl gave Minerva a grateful glance and flapped it wings, smoothing her ruffled feathers.

Severus and Minerva started to cast various spells on the owl and soon they found what Severus had known from the beginning - there were no charms or spells on the bird.

"Congratulations, Harry, to your new owl. Whoever gave it to you meant no harm," Minerva announced the teen and he gave her a small smile. The witch continued, "I haven't seen Hedwig for a long time, did something happen to her?"

Severus thought that Harry would burst into tears. His face wrinkled and he started to blink furiously to stop the tears from falling. Granger quickly put her arm around his shoulder, half hugging him for support. Severus wished he could do the same.

"She died during Christmas holiday," Weasley explained with his usual lack of empathy and Harry's tears started flowing on his cheeks. Severus saw his son to turn around to hide his shame. "Harry doesn't want to say what happened to her," the redhead added.

"I'm sorry, Harry," the Scottish lady said sadly, "it's always so hard to lose a familiar. I hope this new owl brings you as much joy as Hedwig did."

The boy nodded and snivelled loudly and then wiped his snot away with a sleeve of his robes. Severus grimaced. Didn't the boy have a handkerchief? He pulled out his own from his pocket and made a few steps to hand it to his upset son. It proved itself to be a mistake. Harry took a step back and the owl was back in his - rather tight - embrace.

"Potter, robes are not a snot-rag," Severus said in a carefully neutral voice, handing him the handkerchief again. The boy took it, balancing the bird in one hand and it whooted in protest. "And stop maltreating your owl," Severus added a bit sharper.

Harry looked down in alarm. The owl looked at him reproachfully, but she didn't bite him this time. Evidently, the two of them already bonded solidly. Severus frowned. The quickness of the bonding only verified his suspicions about Harry's poor mental state. His holding the owl in the manner an insecure five-year old would hold his teddy bear had indicated something very wrong too. His son needed a Mind-healer's assistance. How to arrange it, though?

"Mr. Potter, Harry, if someone hurt your owl, you can report them and seek retribution," Minerva informed him gently. When the teen only shook his head, she continued, "If someone hurt Hedwig, how will you ensure no other owl will be hurt?"

Harry shook his head again, his eyes on his owl. Nephele was sitting on his forearm once again and let herself to be petted gently with Harry's middle-finger.

Minerva and Severus looked at Granger, but the girl only made an I'm-at-a-loss face and shrugged slightly. The adults shared a helpless look, and Minerva released the students. There really wasn't much to say anymore.

Severus left straight after them; he needed to think before he let Minerva to pester him with questions. And he had an acquaintance to contact.