Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Soooo sorry for my delay in getting this out.
Chapter 11

Severus had never imagined he would feel such trepidation in leaving the boy behind at Malfoy Manor. However, it was absolutely necessary to rid the teen of the dreaded potion now running through his veins, the same potion that he had been responsible for inventing.

He felt a moment of unfamiliar alarm for what might become of Potter whilst he was away from the manor. He knew it was the blood bond that was making him feel so apprehensive to leave the teen. But then again, the possibility of Mulciber paying the youth a visit or of the Dark Lord summoning the boy were genuine threats.

Severus picked up his pace as he strode up the hill leading to Hogwarts. He knew that the blood oath he took at Malfoy’s insistence would prevent him from informing the Headmaster of Potter’s whereabouts or from divulging whom was holding the teen hostage. He only hoped that the headmaster would allow him to leave straightaway without the customary interrogation.

He didn’t have much time to think about how he would handle the situation because the moment he walked through the large wooden doors leading into the school, he was accosted by both Minerva and Albus.

“Severus, you‘re here!” Albus shouted, with true relief in his voice. “Shall we head up to my office?”

Severus grimaced, “Actually, I have a very important assignment that I must attend to immediately, Albus.”

“I insist,” Albus replied with force. The headmaster led the way up the winding staircases.

Severus was displeased with the delay in getting back to Potter but knew he did not have a choice in the matter. He followed along behind the headmaster and Minerva. Once they reached the tower office he stood with impatience as he faced both his mentors.

“Where have you been? Any news of Harry‘s whereabouts??” Albus asked. Severus could hear the hint of hopefulness in the Headmaster’s voice.

Severus shook his head, “Unfortunately, the Death Eaters I interrogated gave out no new information as to Potter’s whereabouts.”

Albus frowned, “So then, what has taken you so long to return?”

Severus had to guard his words, giving the headmaster too much information would break the wizards oath he had taken and kill him instantaneously. “A situation has arisen that I must attend to immediately.”

Minerva rung her hands with anxiety, “Severus, there is no mission more important then finding Mr. Potter!”

Albus took up her moment of panic, “I am most concerned for Harry’s condition. It is of the utmost importance that he be found as soon as possible, Severus. You should drop everything else and focus on that alone.”

Severus could barely contain his anger at being spoken to as if he didn’t know what was at stake here. He narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms with impatience, “Yes, I am well aware of what is at stake, Albus. You must trust that the mission I am on is unpreventable.”

Albus stepped closer to the potion master, scrutinizing the man’s demeanor. He was immediately aware that Severus was under some sort of constraint. After several long moments of silence he finally spoke, “Severus, I must ask what this mission is?”

“And I must respectfully decline in answering that question, “ Severus replied in a curt tone. He saw Minerva’s eyes fly open and the headmaster inspect him closer.

Albus pulled his wand from his robes, “Severus, you must excuse my cautious approach. I need to check you for any spells that might have been cast against you.”

Severus immediately pulled his own wand out, fearing that the headmaster would somehow be able to force him to talk, in turn forcing him to reveal the wizards oath. His wand was no match for the Elder wand that Albus wielded. A single spell was cast against him, immediately immobilizing him in place. The last sound he heard before losing conscious thought was his wand clattering as it hit the floor.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Harry eyed the rest of his meal with trepidation. Lucius had told him to finish everything on his plate, but there had been too much food to conceive of finishing after being denied a full meal for so long a time. He tried to force down the last few bites of eggs as his stomach protested with the threat of losing everything he had just eaten. His back still burned something fierce but his fever seemed to be decreasing. The bland meal of oatmeal, toast and eggs had looked appetizing at first but now he wished it had just been toast. Nonetheless, Lucius had given him an order and he was not about to disobey it.

He stood up on shaky legs as he made his way back to the new bed that Lucius had so generously given him. He felt a rush of gratitude at the thought of the new furniture he had been given. The table with two chairs and new bed with a warm comforter had been a wonderful surprise.

He slowly lowered himself onto the mattress, but then jumped up when he heard the sound of a key being put into the lock of the door. He immediately rushed to meet Lucius. He dropped down to his knees when the man entered the cell.

“Good boy, Harry,” Lucius replied when he eyed the empty bowl and plate. “I’ve more surprises for you once you are well.”

Harry looked up with anticipation, “I feel better today, Lucius.”

Lucius placed a hand on the boy’s brow. He frowned when he felt the fever, “You are still fevered, Harry. Unfortunately your back is still infected. We can not continue with your training until you are well.”

He removed his hand abruptly then walked over to the makeshift laboratory. In an exasperated voice he added, “Severus is taking much too long in returning.” It had been almost twenty four hours since the Potion Master had left the manor.

Lucius huffed out in annoyance as he took hold of the pot of healing cream. Severus had instructed him to apply the cream in the event that he still be away.

Harry slumped in disappointment, “I feel good enough,” he offered up as he eyed the dreaded potion, “I don’t think I need anymore of that stuff.”

Lucius snapped his fingers with impatience, “That is not for you to decide! Get up here.”

He pointed to the examination table, then waited impatiently for the boy to lie down.

Harry struggled to his feet.

As soon as the teen was face down, Lucius took up a handful of the pungent cream. Without any forewarning he slathered the potion on the worst of the angry burn. He shoved the boy’s head back down onto the table when the teen let out a yelp.

“Stay put,” he ordered without compassion. He methodically applied the cream, ignoring the boy’s sniveling. Draco would never act in such an embarrassing manner.

His anger was actually directed at his own son over causing this delay. If it wasn’t for this setback he would have the Potter boy ready to present to the Dark Lord by now. He knew the Dark Lord was getting impatient with his progress and feared the Dark Lord might force him to hand the boy over to Mulciber if there was no progress made soon.

Harry gripped the table tighter as the potion took hold. His back would be numb in just a few minutes, he just had to hold on until then.

“Stay put,” Lucius repeated harshly before wiping his hands on a rag.

“Yes, sir,” Harry said in a trembling voice. He watched Lucius stalk out of the cell then heard the lock turn in the heavy metal door click.

He never should have protested or yelled out. He vowed to keep quiet the next time it was time to apply the potion. After all, Lucius was only doing what was best for him.

His mind drifted back to the dream he had this morning. He couldn’t quite remember what it was about but he had awoken with a smile on his face. The only part he remembered was flying over the school with a boy with red hair. He dug deep into his memory and suddenly knew the other boy had been named Ron. He smiled again as he let the memory unfold once more.

He was almost certain that this was the same place he had had dreams, or rather nightmares about. He remembered a dragon chasing him and dementors attacking him, but this time the dream was actually a pleasant one. He suddenly wished he could get out of this dark and dank place, maybe go outside and fly again. He wondered if Lucius would ever let him fly? His scar suddenly gave him a sharp throb.

He scratched at his scar as it continued its relentless burn. The Dark Lord was angry at something or someone… again. That seemed to be the primary emotion the Dark Lord felt. He thought about the question that Snape had asked him; “Do you think the Dark Lord to be a fair leader?”

He knew that Lucius would not approve of his answer. How could someone with so much anger be a fair leader? Yet, he had to be wrong in thinking this way because Lucius was so adamant that the Dark Lord should be the rightful leader of the Wizarding world, not Dumbledore.

The only thing was, Lucius didn’t have the same awful visions that continually filled his head with scenes of torture and misery. Something deep inside him wanted to protest against such injustice. He wished the painful headaches would stop.

After a short time he fell into a fitful slumber, wrestling with opposing visions that he couldn’t quite place and forgetting the lovely vision of flying with the boy named Ron.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It took Severus exactly 28 hours and seventeen minutes to return back to Malfoy Manor. Albus had apologized profusely for having cast such a strong freezing charm against him and for not having the foresight to buffer his fall when the freezing charm caused him to fall and hit his head on the stone floor.

When he had finally awoken, Severus had been infuriated to find himself in the infirmary. After hearing Albus’ apology, he had immediately growled his displeasure over being treated like a common criminal, then promptly gathered his needed ingredients from his laboratory and left the castle. It had taken several more hours to obtain the very illegal Unicorn blood that would be needed to counter Potter’s potion.

As soon as the precious ingredient was in his hand, Severus immediately used the port key back to Malfoy Manor. Every time he imagined what he would find upon returning, his heart leapt into his throat, so he endeavored not to let his mind dwell on those horrifying thoughts.

The front door to Malfoy manor opened when he stepped up the path. Lucius swept towards him with a look of fury and panic on his face.

“It has been too long, Severus!” Lucius said, completely forgetting his manners. “It is almost too late to train him properly!”

“Has Potter worsened?”

Lucius escorted Severus into the house, gesturing for him to follow as he strode quickly towards the dungeons, “He is still fevered and weak. I’ve forced the boy to eat and used that dreadful cream on his burn, yet Potter is still resistant to recovery!” He said it as if the teen was somehow responsible for his own lack of recovery.

Before Severus could respond, Lucius went on in his anxious tone, “Mulciber has been here twice and brings news that the Dark Lord wants to see the boy! I cannot bring Potter to meet the Dark Lord in his current condition. If the Dark Lord finds out that Draco hurt Potter …” His sentence trailed off, not wanting to voice the dire consequences out loud.

“Calm down, Lucius. We are wasting time,” Severus was eager to see the condition Potter was in. The rest of the walk down to the dungeon was silent.

Once again, as soon as Lucius entered the dungeon cell, Potter immediately fell to his knees in submission. Lucius waved the boy up, “Get on the examination table, stupid boy, before you get any worse.”

Severus stood back and watched as the teen obediently climbed up onto the table.

“Go ahead, Severus,” Lucius said, “heal the boy. Just remember, Draco’s life is in your hands.”

Harry frowned at that. Who was Draco and what did he have to do with all of this?

Severus was relieved to see the boy had no further injuries and was strong enough to move without too much pain. He examined the burn, bothered that the previous cream had not healed the burn any better then this. He gently laid a hand on the boy’s upper back, knowing that his touch would offer the teen a reprieve from the pain in his scar.

Harry let out a sigh of relief at the touch. His head suddenly felt better and he felt a sense of calmness seep through him. He didn’t understand how that could be possible with a simple touch.

Severus kept his hand on the teen’s back momentarily.

“How long, Severus?” Malfoy snapped out with impatience.

Severus shook his head, “I haven‘t any idea, Lucius. I will brew a stronger potion but I’ve no idea how long it will take to heal this wound.”

Lucius waved his hand, “Very well then, I will begin his training immediately whilst you are brewing. Harry, follow me.”

Severus pressed the boy back down on the table when he tried to get up, “Lucius, you are making a grave error. The boy is not ready for strenuous activity in his condition.”

Harry struggled to obey, pushing back against the potion master’s hold, “I feel good, Lucius! I want to train!”

“Let him go, Severus. I haven’t the time to let him heal first. Come, Harry.” Lucius didn’t wait to hear Severus’ rebuttal. He strode towards the door, confident that the boy would follow. “Let us know when the potion is ready.”

Harry slipped out of Snape’s grasp and scrambled to follow Lucius. Even in his weakened condition he felt excited to be leaving the dungeon. His excitement began to wane by the time he had made it up the very long and winding staircase and through several extravagantly furnished rooms . He took a moment to catch his breath and look around the opulently furnished room he found himself standing in.

A crystal chandelier, that was bigger then him, was hanging in the middle of the dark wood paneled room. There were several marble statues scattered though out the room. The portraits hanging on the walls were all of formidable looking wizards, each one wearing a look of disgust as they eyed him. A very large and fancy dinning room table filled the rest of the room.

“Wow! Is this really your home, Lucius?” Harry asked in wonderment. How could one person own such a wonderful castle?

“Don’t ask such stupid questions! Of course this is all mine. I’m a Malfoy for Merlin’s sake!” Lucius huffed. He had been pushed beyond his limitations and his patience was running thin. He looked closely at the teen and shook his head in disgust. The boy was filthy and wearing such rags that he didn’t want to let the teen sit on any of his costly chairs.

“Come,” Lucius beckoned. He strode through several more rooms, then up another staircase. By the time they made it to the west wing he could hear the boy panting with exhaustion. Bloody hell, he didn’t have time for this setback! The Dark Lord was not a patient ruler and would not look kindly on another delay.

They stopped once they reached a lavishly furnished bedroom with a gigantic bed in the middle of the room. The room clearly belonged to a young man. There were several quiddich books on a book shelf that reached the ceiling. Several costly racing brooms were hung on display against the furthest wall. A richly carved marble dresser held several silver trophies representing all sorts of achievements. The large fireplace had a mantle that spanned across one entire wall. The mantle was covered in moving pictures of a young man with silver blond hair and several of his friends. It looked as if the teen had been to every place in the world.

He narrowed his eyes and studied the boy in the picture. There was something familiar about the pale haired teen, something… unlikable about the way he sneered into the camera. Harry knew he must have seen the boy somewhere before but couldn’t pin down the memory.

“That is my son. Perhaps you remember Draco from school?” Lucius asked, before proudly stating, “He is top in his class.”

“It looks like he’s been to some amazing places,” Harry said as he struggled to place the face. After a moment, he quietly added, “He’s lucky to have such a great father.” He could hear the longing in his own voice and his face flushed with embarrassment.

He looked down at his shabby pajama bottoms and dirty feet, suddenly feeling very lowly and unworthy of being in Lucius‘ son’s bedroom. All these costly, wonderful items had been given to this Draco by Lucius. He couldn’t help himself as he reached a hand out to touch the silky silver bedspread and wished that it was his own.

Lucius used his cane to give the boy’s hand a quick and harsh rap, “You mustn’t touch that which does not belong to you, Harry.”

Harry gasped as the pain shot through his hand. More then the pain though, he felt a unexpected anger towards Lucius for giving this Draco boy all these nice things but treating him as if he meant nothing to him. He looked towards Lucius with an anger he could not hide, “I wasn’t going to do anything to it!”

Lucius could see the resentment and fury in the teen’s emerald eyes. Potter shouldn’t have been able to still have those emotions towards him after having triple the amount of Domination potion. The potion the boy had been given should have snuffed out any and all of his own will and made the boy a virtual slave, willing to please Lucius’ every desire.

He took a step back as a thought occurred to him. Perhaps the boy was special in some sort of abnormal way? It stood to reason since the two most powerful wizards of their time were anxious to keep the teen under their thumbs. Lucius had been a witness to several of the boy’s near death experiences at the Tri-Wizard Tournament. He’d also witnessed Potter’s fight against the Dark Lord whilst in the graveyard. There was no arguing that someone or something was definitely protecting the child.

Lucius knew that the outcome of the war could go to either side. It might be to his own advantage to garner the boy’s goodwill. It never was a good idea to put all your eggs into one basket. With that thought in mind, Lucius quickly changed his approach and schooled his face into one of concern.

“Harry, I hope your hand is not injured. I merely meant to educate you in the ways of a more refined young man.” Lucius took the boy’s hand into his own and rubbed the reddened skin gently. He knew how his touch would stimulate the potion into forcing the teen to obey.

Harry was immediately ashamed of his behavior, he couldn‘t understand how he had let himself get angry at Lucius. “Sorry, Lucius. I shouldn’t have touched anything. It won’t happen again.”

Lucius smirked at how easy it would be to manipulate Dumbledore‘s little pawn. It didn’t escape his notice that Harry spoke of having a father as if it were an impossible dream. Considering the way the Muggles had treated the teen, it didn’t surprise him that Harry would want someone to treat him as a true son.

He gently caressed Harry’s face, waiting until the boy looked up at him, “This could all be yours one day, Harry.” He delighted in seeing Harry’s eyes grow large with wonderment.

“If all goes well at the ministry and you do as you are told, then I see no reason why you cannot become my son. I could adopt you and offer you everything I offer to my own son.”

Harry looked into Lucius’ blue eyes, searching to see if this was just a joke. Lucius stared back at him with a genuineness that couldn’t be faked.

“You’re - you’re serious? You’re not joking?” Harry whispered, holding his breath until he heard Lucius answer him.

“Yes, Harry, I would adopt you, make you a part of my family.”

It all sounded too good to be true. Lucius was a great man, an important man. He was obviously the best father a guy could ever hope to have.

“I-I just have to get that prophecy and then … then, you’ll adopt me?” Harry asked, clearly overcome with emotion.

“That’s correct,” Lucius replied, pleased with himself for coming up with such a devious plan that would induce such adoration from Harry Potter. “You need only complete the task you are given.”

“I can do it! I swear I’ll work really hard!” Harry exclaimed. It seemed such an easy task and in return his deepest desire would come true. It would mean everything to him to have a father!

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
Friends,

Thank you so much for all your kind words of encouragement for my story! Let me know what you are thinking.

Rachel