Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6 - Godfather

When Harry next awoke it was to a loud argument coming from Poppy’s office. The door was shut but luckily no one had thought to add a privacy spell. He tried to sit up but found the motion sent stabbing pains to his burnt back. He looked towards the medi-witch’s office and could see several people through the glass window. He slowly reached over to the nightstand and felt around until his fingers found his glasses.

His heart leapt with excitement when he spotted Sirius in the office. He heard Snape’s caustic tone a moment before he saw Sirius throw open the office door and come storming out.

“Sirius!” Harry called out as his godfather approached his bed. “You’re here!”

Sirius looked as if he were ready to explode. Through gritted teeth he growled out, “We’re leaving, Harry. Are you strong enough to walk?”

“Oh no you don’t,” Madame Pomfrey called out as she came bustling out of the office, followed by Dumbledore and Snape.

“He’s coming with me!” Sirius yelled out, “Harry, let’s go.” He leaned down and took hold of his godson’s arm.

“Mr. Black, Harry is in no condition to be going anywhere. He still needs treatment and care!” Poppy came to the other side of the bed and tried to push Harry back down against the pillow.

“This is just like you, Black,” Snape sneered as he approached the bed, shaking his head so his greasy hair stuck to his face, “You’ve never had the ability to consider the danger your haphazard actions cause.”

“Shut up, Snape! Keep your big nose out of things that don’t concern you!” Sirius unconsciously grasped Harry’s arm tighter, causing the teen to wince.

“Just as mature as ever,” Snape mocked.

“What’s going on?” Harry asked as he pulled out of his godfather’s grip. He looked past Snape, towards the Headmaster.

“Gentlemen, we mustn’t act in haste,” Dumbledore said, sitting at the end of Harry’s bed. He placed a hand on the boy’s foot. “Harry is owed an explanation as to what has happened.”

The Headmaster’s tone of voice was such that Sirius didn’t persistent on leaving immediately. He crossed his arms and paced in an agitated state.

Harry slowly leaned back on the pillow Madame Pomfrey had just set behind him. He hid the agony the move caused him.

“Harry, my boy, I am afraid I am the bearer of bad news. It seems the wards at Privet Drive have failed today.”

Harry gripped the blanket he was clutching tighter.

“Your relatives were murdered today by Death Eaters.”

Harry felt as if he might sick up and pushed his hands against his stomach.

“The wards at this school were compromised at exactly the time, thereby allowing a group of Death Eaters into the school. Lord Voldemort used the deaths of your relatives as a sacrifice to cast a powerful spell on Hogwarts. Only the heir of Slytherin himself could have broken the wards.”

Harry kept his gaze on the blanket as he asked, “H-how? How did it happen?”

“I believe the killing curse,” Albus said in a gentle voice. “Very little pain was involved.”

“No, no not that,” Harry shook his head as he tried not think of his relatives being cursed that way. Even the Dursley‘s didn‘t deserve to die such a horrible death. “No, I-I meant … how did the wards at Privet drive fail?”

He looked up at Dumbledore when no answer was forthcoming.

Dumbledore kept his gaze on his folded hands. Harry looked towards his godfather but Sirius quickly looked away.

It suddenly occurred to him what had happened. It was his fault that Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and Dudley were dead. He dragged his eyes to Snape, the only person who wouldn’t care about hurting his feelings.

“Sir, w-was it me?”

Snape knew it was the boy’s fault and didn’t hesitate to enlighten the rebellious teen. After all, he believed the boy should know how his careless actions caused such a catastrophe.

“Yes, Potter, you were the only one with the ability to bring down the wards at Privet Drive.”

“Snape, you bloody bastard!” Sirius shouted at the same time that Dumbledore called out for Severus to be silent.

Harry felt his stomach lurch. Why had he been so defiant and let himself think of the castle as home? He leaned over the side of the bed and vomited onto his godfather’s shoes. Snape’s malicious laughter rang through the infirmary.

Harry tuned out the fight that ensued between Sirius and Snape. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and leaned back on the pillow as Madame Pomfrey fussed over him. She went about casting cleaning spells on him and the floor as Dumbledore put an end to the bickering.

“Enough, gentlemen!” Dumbledore roared, before calmly stating, “We‘ve another matter of importance to contend with. This school is no longer safe for Harry. We must come to an amenable solution as to where he is to go.”

“He’s my godson, he’ll live with me,” Sirius said, unwilling to bend.

“As I’ve said previously, I want nothing further to do with the brat,” Severus stated, ignoring the glares coming from both of the other men in the room.

“We all know that is not an option, Severus,” Dumbledore rebuked. “Harry will suffer greatly once he leaves what’s left of the wards at Hogwarts. I’ve explained how crucial it is for him to be under your protective covering, safe from Voldemort‘s mental attacks. However, I cannot prevent Sirius from taking Mr. Potter since he is now Harry‘s legal guardian.”

“It‘s settled then,” Sirius declared, “Harry get up, we’re out of here.”

“I caution against this,” Albus warned. “It is detrimental to Harry’s recovery for him to be with Severus, at least part of the time. He must learn Occlumency, and will need Severus to teach him.”

Sirius reached down and took hold of Harry’s arm. He pulled the teen to his feet, draping his own cloak over Harry’s pajama clad body.

“I’ve always respected your mum, Harry, but I can’t, for the life of me, figure out what she was thinking,” Sirius hitched a finger towards Snape.

“I want to get dressed,” Harry said, shrugging in response.

“I’ve plenty of clothes at my house. Let’s get you home,” Sirius said as he took the bottle of potion that Madame Pomfrey held out to him. Harry couldn’t help feeling pleased with the sound of having a home with Sirius.

“This isn’t right,” Madame Pomfrey admonished, “It’s too soon for him to leave.” She passed over a list of instructions.

“But it isn’t safe for him to be here either,” Sirius retorted, gently putting an arm around his godson’s waist to help support him.

“It is probably best for all to have Harry leave the school,” Albus confirmed, remorse ringing in his tone.

Harry turned to look at the Headmaster. “Sir, was anyone else hurt today?” He felt ashamed for not asking sooner.

“No, no one except you, Harry. I regret I’ve failed, once again, to keep you safe,” Dumbledore said with compunction. “He stood up straighter and frowned as he looked to the other men, “Gentlemen, you willwork out a schedule so that Harry may get what he needs.”

“Of course, was there ever any other option,” Severus replied in an acerbic tone.

Sirius narrowed his eyes at the Slytherin but nodded in agreement, “Whatever’s best for Harry.”

Harry held onto his godfather’s arm as they made their way to the flue. Before they stepped through he looked back at Snape. “Thank you, sir, for -for … today.” He flushed as he remembered his embarrassing behavior earlier.

Snape raised an eyebrow in surprise. He didn’t expect any gratitude coming from that division. He nodded in acknowledgment, feeling a tinge of apprehension with Potter under Sirius Black’s reckless supervision.

Harry looked to the headmaster next, “Can I owl my friends, sir?”

Dumbledore shook his head, “Sorry, Harry. I’m afraid that would be a gamble we cannot risk. I will, however, arrange for notes from your friends to be brought to you. ”

“Thank you, sir,” Harry turned back to look at Sirius, “I’m ready to go home, Sirius.”

Chapter End Notes:
Happy New Year!!!!!!