Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Not mine

Thanks for all the reviews! The vast majority were very nice.

THIS IS A VERY SHORT BUT VERY IMPORTANT CHAPTER

I'm really trying to use this story to improve my writing. I'd like to ask all my readers, if you have time to leave a review, to include something wrong with the story, whether it be a grammatical error, or something with the characters, pace, or anything else that bugs you. By all means say nice, happy things too. Thanks!
Unexpected

Harry was relieved when Madame Pomfrey released him from the infirmary early that morning. Snape was still sleeping, and therefore couldn’t ask the questions that Harry was sure would pop up. Careless! Why did I have to use wandless magic in front of Snape, of all people? Hermione’s going to kill me when she finds out. Or lecture me about how I should have already told the adults. Wasn’t thinking…

Unfortunately, Dumbledore didn’t think it wise to send Harry back to Grimmauld Place with only two days left of vacation, especially since his mental shields were still weakened. Though he was keeping in touch with Hermione through the bracelets, he still wanted to talk to her, and possibly get around to some serious snogging. Wandering into the library, he saw Madame Pince sitting at her desk, sorting through new books she had ordered.

“Mr. Potter, if you’re going to loiter in here, you will be reading. There will be no food or drink, and you will stay out of the restricted section. Am I understood?” She looked up long enough to fix him with a glare, only looking back down when he nodded his acknowledgement. Harry walked to the back of the library and grabbed a book from the potions section. He found he really enjoyed potions brewing when he could take his time and experiment. With a start, he realized that he and Hermione still hadn’t tested her potion. Or tried to find her animagus form. They would have to do both when school started again. And he wanted to do some more research on the air phoenix, his own unusual animagus form.

It was the growling of his stomach that finally pulled Harry out of the potions text . With half the book to go, he decided to check it out and read during lunch. In the kitchens, Dobby was thrilled to serve him a heaping platter of sandwiches, a bowl of potato crisps, a large salad, a tall glass of pumpkin juice, and an ice cream sundae for desert. He was so focused on eating that he didn’t even crack open the book. Finding Draco and Blaise didn’t hold much appeal, as he really wanted some quiet, so Harry headed back to the library. Setting potions temporarily aside, he searched for any book with information on patroni.

Finding one volume entitled “Guardians of the Heart” with a picture of a wispy swan patronus on the cover, he settled in to read once more. The book proved to hold a wealth of information. In the few recorded cases of a child producing a patronus, it was usually the “true form” of a parent, usually who the child felt closest to. A true form, the book explained, was generally the animal that one had the potential to become if one was an animagus. An adult who wasn’t in love would have their true form as a patronus, while others’ patroni would take the shape of their loves’ true forms. So the stag was my dad’s true form. What about the rest of the forms when it changed in Snape’s classroom earlier? The fox… I bet that was my mom. The snake… Probably Snape. Ugh. The bird… must have been the air phoenix! It was so fast I didn’t recognize it… That was my true form. So what is the panther? Love… Hermione. Hermione’s true form is a panther. It has to be.

Harry continued to read, not stopping even when he had to struggle to keep his eyes open. Maybe that vision weakened me more than I thought. It was a bit different from the others. He didn’t stop reading until his eyes drifted shut, and the book slid from his fingers to the floor.

“Mr. Potter!” A shrill voice jolted Harry from his slumber. Reluctantly opening his eyes, he saw a very angry librarian standing over him. A few feet behind her, smirking slightly, was Snape. Harry sat bolt upright in the chair. Madame Pince brandished a book at him, nearly hitting his nose. “On the floor, Mr. Potter. My book. Why was it on the floor?”

“I’m sorry Madame Pince. I must have fallen asleep while reading it. It must have slipped…”

“That’s no excuse! Take better care Mr. Potter!” She glared once more and stomped away, muttering angrily. Snape just stood there and stared at Harry as if studying him.

“Come with me Mr. Potter.”

“What? Where?”

“Do not question me Potter. Just do as you’re told.”

“In case you hadn’t noticed Professor, I don’t exactly trust you.”

“Mr. Potter, you will accompany me to my office, where we will talk. I believe this is a conversation you would prefer that nobody hears.” Snape turned and began walking. Harry followed automatically. He knows I’m his son. He’s going to tell me he doesn’t want anything to do with me. But that’s good. I don’t want him as a father. How is he my father? Will he tell me? Could I use Legilimency on him? Of course not! Stupid! He’s a master Occlumens, and I’ve only been practicing Legilimency for a couple weeks, and that’s been on Hermione, with her consent. Maybe he’ll let it slip, and then I can stop wondering.

They stopped in front of Snape’s office doors where the professor whispered a password, and glided into the office, Harry following, still lost in thought. The doors closed automatically behind him, the click of the lock rousing him from his reverie.

“Why am I here Professor?” Harry was impressed with how even his voice sounded. He pulled up his Occlumency shields, surprised at the effort it took. With the glamours and the mental shields, it took all of his remaining energy to focus on Snape’s response.

“You know precisely what we are here to discuss Mr. Potter.” Severus was not in the mood to play games with the boy. He wanted to know where that little show of wandless magic came from.

“How long have you known?” Harry asked shakily, sinking into a chair. He was surprised at Snape’s calm, but supposed he shouldn’t be. The man was cold. He probably felt no emotion at all about the topic.

“Since yesterday, obviously.” Severus noticed the boy’s rather extreme reaction. He supposed Potter must have thought he could keep his secret longer. That Severus hadn’t noticed his slip-up.

“I realized it a few months ago.” Harry’s voice was little more than a whisper, and he just stared at the floor.

“We have to test this,” Severus muttered.

“Already did,” answered Harry.

“Did you think nobody would notice? This is serious Mr. Potter. You should have brought it to someone’s attention as soon as you discovered it. Though the patronus should have been a giveaway.” The last part was to himself. Severus knew he should have noticed the boy’s power levels were extremely high when he produced the patronus in his third year. Wandless, wordless magic though. Only Dumbledore and the Dark Lord could do that.

“I figured eventually somebody would notice, but I had hoped I would have longer to adjust. I’ve been keeping up glamours to keep me looking like James Potter.” Harry stared at his scuffed up trainers. Would life have been better if he had grown up with his real father? At least he wouldn’t have been wearing Dudley’s hand-me-downs. “I didn’t think it would be a good idea to let on that I was your son. I can keep them up indefinitely, but I guess eventually…”

“My what?! Are you insane? Potter, I don’t know what potions you’re on, but there is no way in hell that you are my son!” Severus stared at the boy in shock. What would possess him to say something like that? Was the boy mad?

Harry’s head shot up, and he took in Snape’s reaction. He hadn’t known, Suddenly, it was too much work to hold himself upright, and Harry passed out in his chair. With the last of his energy, his glamours vanished completely.

Severus just stared down at the boy. A boy, who, as much as his rationality screamed denial, looked very much like his son.

Chapter End Notes:
I love reviews and those who leave them.