Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so, I finally went and actually read the Severitus challenge, and I think all I'm missing is Remus coming back to Hogwarts. Correct me if I'm wrong. So, Remus Lupin fans, you're in luck. He's going to come back. It'll be fun, and it'll make the story an actuall Severitus challenge story. So, enjoy the chapter, and I'll try to get an update out asap. Thanks for all the reviews last chapter! Keep 'em comin'!
illumination

For the first time in years, Severus Snape reached under his bed and pulled out a box of pictures. He used his wand to banish the dust before lifting up the lid. The first photograph was of Lily. She was holding her Hogwarts diploma and smiling at the camera. The promise ring Severus had given her sparkled on her finger. The next picture was of the two of them about a year after graduation, sitting on the sofa, with Lily’s head resting on his shoulder. They were so young.

He remembered the day she left. It was three months after Severus agreed to Dumbledore’s plan. He would become a spy. He was the ideal candidate. A Slytherin from a dark family, enemies with the stars of Gryffindor. There was only one problem. He was known to be dating a muggleborn witch. So he distanced himself. He stayed away from their flat for days at a time. Lily was patient with him, putting up with him longer than he thought she would. It broke him to hear her crying at night.

Then she left. He had the perfect excuse to join the Death Eaters: fury at the betrayal of a mudblood. So he became the Order’s most valuable spy, and gave up his only chance of a future. A year after that, she married James Potter, and barely nine months later, their son was born. The son she named Harry, a name she had always told Severus she would name their first son. She knew Harold Prince, his uncle, was the only family that Severus actually liked.

He was shocked at the first Order meeting that Lily and James attended. He met her deep emerald eyes for what felt like an eternity. And then he stood and gave his report, never looking away. She cornered him afterwards.

Severus! Is this why? Why you left me?”

I seem to recall it was the other way around.” It was his plan, but it had hurt, still hurt, to lose her.

You know what I mean… So it was this? The spying? It wasn’t… another woman?”

Oh gods Lily, you know I could never have done that to you! I… needed to push you away. Everyone had to believe you left me. Even you. And now, you’re… married.”

James will be a great father. I just… I wish… Oh Severus, was it worth it? To give up what we had?”

I’ve stopped ten attacks from happening. So many people who could have died… So many people I could prevent from dying in the future. This means something Lily. Maybe eventually I’ll stumble upon some information that could give us a real tactical advantage. Maybe end this war.”

I know Severus. I just wonder, if I had known…”

I didn’t want you to. You deserve to have a life. Even if it is with Potter.”

I thought you two had gotten over your schoolboy quarrels. James is a good man Severus.”

Yes, he is. That’s what you need. A good man. I’m just an alright one.” He turned and walked away. He wasn’t James Potter. He wasn’t heroic and pure. Lily deserved someone like that, not someone damaged by the horrors he witnessed almost every night. From behind him, he thought he heard a whisper.

No, Severus. You aren’t a good man. You have the makings of a great one.” But he knew it was only his imagination.

Glancing at the clock, Severus realized it was almost midnight. Tomorrow he would begin training Harry Potter. Why did I agree to that? Because he’s my son. Lily’s son. I owe it to her, and I owe it to him. He may still be spoiled and arrogant, but I’ve put him through hell because he was James’s son, but he was always mine.

Severus sat on the bed, still holding the box of pictures. Lily would be so ashamed of the way he had treated their son, even after he found out about their relationship. Hell, she’d be furious. He needed to explain things to the boy, and at least give him the tools he needed to survive. He had asked for help, hadn’t he? Maybe it wasn’t as hopeless a case as Severus had thought.

Could they be father and son? Severus scoffed at the thought. He didn’t hate the boy any longer, but he certainly didn’t like him, and Harry Potter was well known to despise Severus Snape. Perhaps though, with time, they could work on tolerating each other. It was the least he could do for Lily.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Harry wiped his sweaty palms on the front of his jeans as he approached Snape’s office. Before he could even knock, he heard Snape’s voice call for him to enter. Why did I ask for this? Oh yeah, because the man’s a genius, and you need to learn defense, Occlumency, and control of your magic, all of which he can teach you.

Herry pushed open the door and took a few steps into the room. Snape was sitting behind his desk, and he put down his quill as Harry entered. “Have a seat Mr. Potter.”

“Sir, before we begin, I’d like to apologize for invading your privacy last year. I really wasn’t looking for personal memories, only for some clue about what everyone was hiding from me. It won’t happen again. I’d also like to say thank you for agreeing to train me.” Harry figured it couldn’t hurt to be polite, and he really did feel badly about viewing the memory. Snape’s face was unreadable as Harry spoke, and he only gave a short nod of acknowledgment, but Harry expected little more.

“Mr. Potter, while you may be under the impression that subtle skills such as potions and Occlumency are of no use to you, I assure you that they are. I believe that with Miss Granger’s help you have achieved some degree of proficiency in potions, so we will not focus on that subject. You wish to train your power, but you cannot until you learn to control your thoughts and emotions. Especially for wandless magic, where intent is all that matters. You won’t have your wand to help you focus, so you will need to focus your mind. Can you do that?”

“Yes sir,” Harry answered. Strangely, even if Snape had started with an insult, his tone seemed less biting than usual.

“Very well. I am going to attempt to invade your thoughts, much like last years lessons. I want you to clear your mind of all emotions. Any worries or preoccupations will only hinder your progress. If it will assist you, picture in your mind a place that you find peaceful. Focus on that, and do not let me disturb that peace. Ready? Legilimens!

Harry thought that last year’s lessons would have gone much better if Snape had explained what ‘Clear your mind!’ meant way back then. What he described sounded suspiciously like the method Harry used to block unpleasant memories from his own mind. With the ease of long practice from his life at the Dursley’s, Harry slipped into his meditative state. Floating on his back on the lake, with his memories, thoughts and emotions hidden safely below the surface, the most unpleasant locked firmly in a trunk at the bottom of the lake. He could hear birdsong, and the water lapping against the shore. The shore where Snape was standing, looking rather displeased. So I guess I didn’t manage to keep him out of my head. Harry opened his eyes.

“Mr. Potter, what was that?”

“Ummm, It’s what I picture when I’m at the Dursley’s and I don’t want to think about anything. But I guess you got in. Should I try a different image?” Harry waited for Snapes biting remark, but it never came. The man just pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. He looks tired.

“Mr. Potter, would I be correct in assuming that your memories are in the water in this scene you’ve created?” Snape asked. Harry nodded nervously. “It seems, Mr. Potter, that you have natural Occlumency abilities. They can only be inherited, which is why I did not bother to test you for them before. Wait here. Don’t touch anything.”

“Yes sir.” Harry stood perfectly still in the center of the room as the Professor left through the back door. He didn’t want the volatile man to have any excuse to yell at him. Moments later, the Potions Master swept back into the room, holding a tattered book.

“Thyis, Mr. Potter, is a book specifically for natural Occlumens. I would like you to read it by our next lesson. Today is Monday, I have staff meetings Tuesdays, and we are beginning work on improving that potion on Wednesday, so will Thursday suffice?”

“Professor, I have Quidditch practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Umm, There’s DA on Fridays, but Hermione can run it fine without me…”

“These meetings end when?”

“Well, they’ve been earlier now that they aren’t secret, so about 8:00.”

“That’s fine. Report here when the meetings finish, and I will write you a pass if our lessons go past curfew. I expect to see you here, with whatever assignments you have been given completed, every Monday and Friday evening. For tonight, I would like to get an idea of how your mental barriers function so that I can show you how to improve weaknesses.”

An hour later, Harry was walking back to Gryffindor tower with the Occlumency book tucked under his arm, many of its pages marked because Snape felt those areas needed extra work. He had a splitting headache, but they had made progress, and Snape had only snapped at him a few times. If training continued this way, Harry was certain he could master Occlumency and get a decent handle on wandless magic.

Once in he common room, Harry had to relive the evening for Hermione’s benefit, and then they tried to kiss goodnight, which quickly turned into a full-blown snogging session, and Harry didn’t make it to bed until midnight. Physically and mentally exhausted, he didn’t even bother to clear his mind before falling into a fitful sleep.

000000000000000000000000000000

Severus arrived in front of Riddle manor and hurried inside. The Dark Lord didn’t forgive tardiness, or anything else really, very easily. Once inside the meeting room, he knelt at the Dark Lord’s feet, awaiting recognition.

“Severusss…”

“My Lord,” replied Severus reverently, rising.

Crucio!” The Dark Lord hissed. Severus fell to the ground. His body was on fire, being pricked with thousands of needles, his skin being pulled from his bones. He couldn’t think of why he was being punished. Usually he could figure it out… So much pain… After an eternity, it stopped. “You, my dear Severus, have finally proved yourself a traitor.”

“No... Master, I live to serve…”

“Liar! Crucio!” Once again, Severus’s world was plunged into pure pain. When it let up again, he was hoarse from screaming, and he couldn’t move. “See what happens to traitors, all my loyal Death Eaters. Ahh, Severus, so careless. To teach the brat Occlumency? You didn’t think I would know? He couldn’t be a natural, and you’re the only one to teach him. Crucio!

Severus tried to deny it, to make up a story, but he couldn’t speak, couldn’t move, couldn’t even think. The torture continued, stopping only occasionally. All of the Death Eaters joined the fun, and the Dark Lord just watched. Severus passed out several times, but they always woke him. The monster planned on letting them torture him to insanity, like Belatrix did the Longbottoms. Finally there was a reprieve long enough for him to catch his breath.

“Lucius, make a portkey to just outside the Hogwarts gates. I want to send his corpse back to that old fool,” the Dark Lord ordered. From somewhere to his left, he heard Malfoy whisper the spell. “Good. Now place it in his hand.” Why wasn’t the sick bastard’s voice hissing?

“But Master, I set it to transport five seconds after it leaves my hand. He isn’t dead yet…”

“You think I do not know this? Do as I say without question!” At that tone, Malfoy senior scurried to obey. He dropped a tin of mints it Severus’s twitching hand. Severus had just enough energy to look up at the Dark Lord’s face. Before he was whisked away by the portkey, he saw Voldemort’s eyes glowing. They were glowing a bright, warm, emerald green.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews! I love them