Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Printer The print whole story view may not work for longer stories.
[Reviews - 64] starstarstarstarstar
Summary: Harry arrives at Hogwarts without any magic. Or does he? Severus is firmly in Voldemort’s camp. Or is he? Tangled loyalties and broken magics combine to make Harry’s first year more eventful than anyone anticipated. Entry in the 2009 Challenge Fest. In response to the Unmagical Harry Potter Challenge by Jan_AQ.

Takes Place: 1st Year Chapters: 10
Snape flavour: None Completed: Yes
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor
Tags: Alternate Universe Word count: 35975
Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Voldemort Read: 49547
Rated: T
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Series: None
Challenges: Unmagical Harry Potter
Published: 12 May 2009 - Updated: 12 May 2009
Awards:
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: Absolutely not mine.

Written for the Potions and Snitches 2009 Challenge Fest. Blame this on Jan_AQ, who issued the challenge, and Obsidian Embrace, who assigned it to me :)

This story badly wanted to become a novel but I managed to stamp it down (I wouldn't have a hope of writing and editing a novel in one month!). The story centres on Snape, Harry, and Neville, with a lot of Hermione as well. Minerva unexpectedly wriggled her way in and of course there’s plenty of Voldemort (but probably not in a way you’re expecting). Dumbledore isn’t a good guy or a bad guy in this story, just a human who’s gotten a bit lost on the way and refuses to listen to anyone (and actually started to really irritate me). And this turned into a Weasley-free fic, though not on purpose. Though this is a first year AU the plot is not related to Philosopher’s Stone. It also involves hero!Harry and there’s a bit of child abuse.

In fact, this story doesn’t bear a great deal of resemblance to canon. If it became canon in HBP or DH you can pretty safely assume it’s not in this story. If it became canon in one of the earlier books then maybe I stuck to it. But maybe I didn’t. The horcruxes do not exist in this story and I have ignored JKR’s rendition of Tom Riddle’s childhood. I was never fond of what she revealed in HBP because it gave me the impression he was basically born evil and I like my bad guys more complex than that. Also, most people don’t decide “Ooh, I’m going to be evil, that’ll be fun!”, it just sort of happens and they don’t usually think of themselves as the bad guys, they think they’re the good guys and everyone who opposes them is a bad guy. So that’s some of where I was coming from in this story.

Basically, if you want a story that adheres strictly to canon you’ll have to look elsewhere. Nor are these JKR’s characters; this story is the literary equivalent of a funhouse mirror so that while it’s based on the familiar everything has become distorted and new.

Table of Contents

1. Prologue by Bil [Reviews - 4] starstarstarstarstar (697 words) Printer

2. Chapter 1: Family by Bil [Reviews - 7] starstarstarstarstar (3044 words) Printer

3. Chapter 2: Not What It Appears by Bil [Reviews - 3] starstarstarstarstar (5244 words) Printer

4. Chapter 3: Looking Beneath by Bil [Reviews - 3] starstarstarstarstar (3576 words) Printer

5. Chapter 4: Settling In by Bil [Reviews - 3] starstarstarstarstar (3131 words) Printer

6. Chapter 5: Magic by Bil [Reviews - 4] starstarstarstarstar (3940 words) Printer

7. Chapter 6: Secrets by Bil [Reviews - 2] starstarstarstarstar (3015 words) Printer

8. Chapter 7: Magical Theory by Bil [Reviews - 2] starstarstarstarstar (3735 words) Printer

9. Chapter 8: Tangled Loyalties by Bil [Reviews - 3] starstarstarstarhalf-star (7009 words) Printer

10. Epilogue: Nineteen Years Later by Bil [Reviews - 33] starstarstarstarhalf-star (2584 words) Printer

The End.
Bil is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 37 members. Members who liked Light and Dark also liked 1214 other stories.

Disclaimer Charm: Harry Potter and all related works including movie stills belong to J.K. Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Bros, and Bloomsbury. Used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended. No money is being made off of this site. All fanfiction and fanart are the property of the individual writers and artists represented on this site and do not represent the views and opinions of the Webmistress.

Powered by eFiction 3.5