Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Dear readers,

okay just to warn you, here come the drama again! It would be too easy if things would go so easy as it went last chapter.

Sunny

Chapter 17 - And the world brakes down again

~*~

Tohiadedi nickered and turned his head in Harry's direction. He gently touched Harry head because he was too surprised to pull it back. "Does that mean I should start?" When the horse snorted, Harry took it as a sign to start. He let his hand roam from the horse's neck, across his left shoulder, and down the front of his leg before gently wrapping his hand around the pastern, just above the hoof. This time he didn't pull at it and just let his hand gently rest on the angle while with his thumb he made a circle around it. It felt natural. His own body was slightly touching the horse's side and he could feel the slow vibration of the horse when he relaxed and clenched his muscles. To Harry great surprise, and relief, Tohiadedi relaxed and Harry could lift the hoof.

A bit awkwardly at first, Harry started to clean the hoof, but Tohiadedi didn't seem to be annoyed by it. He cleaned out the other hooves as well, and when he looked up, he saw that Draco was leading Unega around the paddock.

"Well done, Harry." Black Hawk patted Harry's shoulder. "Want to join Draco with your horse?"

Harry nodded enthusiastically. Finally he would have time to speak with Draco.

~*~

Harry woke to the rays from the morning sun tickling his nose - another night of waking in Light Arrow's lap, sobbing after his nightmare. White Cloud had brought him a hot chocolate like the five nights before, and they both had sat by his side until he had fallen asleep again. Harry was grateful for their help and that they never looked tired or annoyed. Each time he fell less embarrassed, but he still felt guilty for waking them.

Karim jump on his chest and mewed loudly, which pulled Harry out of his thoughts. "Morning, Karim." He pet Karim's head and the cat stretched his head so that Harry would caress under his chin. Slowly, it became uncomfortable for Harry because Karim felt so good that he started to knead his chest with his paws and, unfortunately, claws. Damn, why do cats have to do this whilelooking so cute and lovable at the same time that you feel bad stopping them, Harry thought and grimaced in pain. "Okay, boy, that's enough. My chest is full of scratches."

Karim looked puzzled at Harry when he stopped the caressing. He even looked a bit reproachfully.

"Oh, stop looking at me like that." Harry laughed and caressed Karim behind his ear. In the same moment, he sat up and lifted Karim in his arm. "Here, enjoy the sun a bit. I need to drink something." Harry sat Karim on the window sill and headed for the kitchen. It was 7am and normally nobody was awake at that time besides Light Arrow and White Cloud, so Harry didn't bother changing into day clothes and just padded down the stairs in his pajamas.

When Harry reached the kitchen, he stopped in his tracks. At the table sat not only White Cloud and Light Arrow, but a stranger as well. Harry was so surprised that he didn't greet the man and just stood there, stiff as a poker.

"Morning, Harry," Light Arrow said, grinning and came over to Harry. "Slept well?"

Harry looked at the old man, who now was standing in front of him with one hand on Harry's shoulder. "Ehm..." Harry looked back and forth between the stranger and Light Arrow. "Morning."

Light Arrow chuckled. "May I introduce you to our guest?" Light Arrow tried to guide Harry over to the table, but Harry resisted.

"I... I need to change," Harry stuttered, looking down at himself. He felt so stupid standing in front of a stranger in his pajamas.

Light Arrow waved his hand and suddenly a bathrobe lay over Harry's pajamas. "That will do, don't you think?" When no answer came from the puzzled teen, Light Arrow gently guided Harry over to the stranger. "Harry, this is Doc Martens." Harry eyed the stranger, but the gentle smile and all-in-all appearance of the man put Harry on ease.

"This young man here is Harry, one of Severus boys." Light Arrow told Doc Martens, and, after one last pat on Harry's shoulder, he went back to his chair.

"Hello, Harry. I hope I didn't scare you." Doc Martens held out his hand to Harry.

Harry took the offered hand and shook it lightly. "No... ehm... I was just looking for a drink."

"Come over here, Harry. I have a hot chocolate for you, or do you want something else?" White Cloud waved him over to the chair beside her; a cup with hot chocolate already stood on the table for him.

Harry smiled at the old woman. "Hot chocolate sounds great." He went over, but hesitated to sit down. He looked at the adults. "I don't want to disturb you. I can go and drink it in my room."

"Nonsense, Harry. Sit down," White Cloud said and gently pulled him beside her on the chair.

After a sip of his chocolate, Harry looked up and asked, "You are here because of Severus, right?"

"Yes," Doc Martens said and made it clear with the tone of his voice that this was all information he would give away on the topic.

Ashamed, Harry lowered his gaze and hid behind his cup while sipping from it again.

"So, how do you like it here, Harry. Are you adjusting?" the doctor asked, sipping his coffee.

Harry lowered his cup and stared at the table. Again, he was torn between showing his anger about his stay here and lying out of respect for the people in this camp. He knew that they all wanted to help him, but Harry didn't want help. Sometimes he couldn't understand his own feelings. Over the last few days, he had sometimes forgotten about his hate and what he wanted to do the moment he was back in England. He even felt guilty the moment he realized that he had felt free and without hate for a few minutes again. Mostly it was when he was with Tohiadedi or when he was joking around with Brain, Ken, and Crying Horse. The man's cheerfulness was really contagious.

Yesterday, they drove in the old pickup to the river, and Crying Horse had thrown Harry into the river with all his clothes on. Then Brian and Ken had shoved Crying Horse after Harry into the river, and in the end they had all been laughing and splashing water onto each other. Only on the way back had Harry realized that for over half an hour he had felt so free and happy. The images of Ron and Neville had come into his mind and the guilt had overcome Harry again. But, as was so often these days, there also was Light Arrow's voice in Harry's head, who asked him what Neville and Ron would want him to do. Harry felt torn and couldn't decide which way would be the best for him. He couldn't decide if he liked the moments of joy and freedom or if he hated them.

Harry shrugged his shoulders. He couldn't answer the doctor's question.

"Not sure, yet? That's understandable. It must be confusing and overwhelming here for you," Doc Martens said.

Harry sighed. "I still think I don't belong here, but Draco likes it here."

"We are not speaking about Draco at the moment, Harry," White Cloud said and laid one of her wrinkled hand over Harry's right hand that rested on the table.

Harry sighed. He hated that the tactic didn't work with them. Back home, it had always worked. The moment he brought up a comment about Draco, people had always wanted to know more about Draco and how he was coping, moving Harry out of the spotlight. Here, everything was different, and that was very straining.

"Do you have a horse already, Harry?" Doc Martens tried again to have a conversation with the drawn back teen.

Harry nodded. "Tohiadedi. But I can't ride him, yet." Harry had become very close with his horse, but still Tohiadedi caused problems sometimes. He was very stubborn. Once, he even had stood on Harry foot when Harry was cursing Dumbledore for sending him to the camp. It hadn't hurt, but Harry couldn't pull his foot out under the hoof, and Tohiadedi stared in the opposite direction, not reacting on anything Harry did. Cursing, pleading, even shoving hard hadn't worked and Black Hawk had had to come to Harry's rescue. It was the second time Harry went behind the big stable, pouting until Black Hawk managed to talk sense into him. All in all, he enjoyed his time with Tohiadedi and was looking forward to the day Black Hawk would finally teach Draco and him how to ride.

"I'm sure Black Hawk will teach you how to ride him as soon as he thinks it is safe enough. He is a good teacher." Steps from the stairs made them all look up when Severus came into the kitchen. When he realized who was already in the kitchen, he looked uncomfortably at Harry. The worst thing that could happen now was if Doc Martens handle him like a stupid kid in front of Harry.

"Morning, Severus," Doc Martens said, friendly. "Harry was just telling me about his horse. It seems he is as fond of his horse as you are of Thunderstorm."

Severus went reluctantly over to the table while White Cloud placed a cup of hot coffee on the table for him.

"Ehm... I think I will go to change and wake Draco." Harry placed his cup in the sink. "It was nice to meet you, sir," Harry said shyly to Doc Martens and then left the kitchen quickly.

__________

Harry opened Draco's door slowly and peeked into the room. Draco was still sleeping, and Watje was sitting on top of him, starring at Harry.

"Hey, Draco," Harry whispered while silently going over to the bed. Draco didn't stir, but Watje was up in an instant and hissed at Harry. Her white long fur was standing up in all directions, a ridge was forming on her back and her tail looked like a bottle brush. The sound Watje made evoked old instincts in Harry, and he jump back.

Draco woke from Watje's hissing and spatting, and he looked around, confused and scared. "What the hell..." He spotted Harry. "Are you crazy, Harry? I almost had a heart attack."

"Me? Your cat!" Harry's heart was beating like hell, and he was having trouble slowing it down. "I'm the one who almost had a heart attack! Your cat is a monster."

"Hey, stop insulting Watje." Draco looked at the cat whose fur still stood up in all directions. He slowly stroked her fur down, and Watje, after throwing one last arrogant look at Harry, snuggled herself close to Draco, getting the reward for her good work being a bodyguard.

"Karim never does things like that." Slowly, Harry dared to come closer. Watje was purring like crazy and rubbed her head against Draco's chin almost violently. "I'm sure she is in love with you. Hermione will be so jealous when I tell her about this." Harry grinned and sat down on the bed.

"Therefore, you would have to write her, and she is complaining all the time that you are not doing so." As if realizing only now what Harry had said, he added, "Hey, and stop implying that Hermione does want anything from me."

"Oh, so you want something from her?" Harry grinned at Draco and made room for Watje, who climbed on his lap. "Hey, now, you come and kiss up to me?"

"You are really stupid, Harry." Draco turned around and fumbled for the messenger which lay beside his cushion.

"Oh, look Watje, he is sleeping with her beside him," Harry teased the now blushing blond boy.

Draco pulled a face at Harry and opened the messenger. "She has written."

"Oh, ‘she has written' Watje. Isn't that cute?" Harry cuddled the cat while grinning at his friend.

"Wait until I put my memory of Tohiadedi's hoof-walkout on your foot in a Pensieve and show it Hermione," Draco teased Harry.

"You wouldn't!" Harry said, shocked.

"Dare me!" Draco laughed, but then waved Harry to lie down beside him to read the message from Hermione together.

Watje jumped off Harry's lap and vanished through the closed door. "Creepy," Harry said while watching her tail, which was still sticking out of the door.

"Yeah, I think I will never get used to that." Draco followed Harry's gaze.

"Karim doesn't seem to like using the doors like this. He always waits for me or someone else to open the door." After Draco shifted to make room, Harry lay down beside him. When they were both comfortable, Draco started to read aloud.

Dear Draco,

I finally got an answer from Professor Dumbledore. He sent me a book about natural healing magic. He says that's what your Rose is using.

"‘Your Rose,'" Harry said laughing and dug Draco in his ribs.

Draco just groaned and read on.

I will start to read it the moment I've finish this letter to you. I wrote again to Harry yesterday and he hasn't answered yet. Tell him I'm starting to get angry with him.

"I shall tell you-" Draco mocked.

"Yeah, I got the message, prat. Keep on reading!"

Grinning, Draco went on.

Professor Dumbledore said that cameras are not allowed in the camp. That's so sad. I really wanted to see you in that hat. Can you bring it home with you? Oh, please, Draco.

"‘Please, Draco,' let me see the sexy, mysterious Draco in his Stetson," Harry sing-songed.

"Idiot," Draco said, annoyed, and threw the cushion at Harry's face. Before Harry could add anything more, Draco read on.

There is good news, nevertheless. Professor Dumbledore said that you are allowed to have visitors. Not yet, but near the end of your stay. He promised that I can accompany him when he is visiting you. Isn't that good news?

"Absolutely, Hermione," Harry said and patted Draco's shoulder.

Draco was engrossed in the letter and didn't comment on Harry's comment.

I was a bit worried when I read your last letter. I'm sorry that you are still worried-

Draco stopped reading abruptly and tuned the messenger around so Harry couldn't read the letter himself.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Harry asked, confused.

"Ehm... it's private," Draco stuttered.

"Private? I could see my name a few words ahead. So, you are worried about me, right? What is it Draco? Come on, we always talked about everything. Why do you have secrets now, and even some which concern me." Harry started to become angry. They never had secrets; that's what made their friendship special.

"Harry, please, you won't understand." Draco tried to calm Harry.

"Then try. I want to know what you think about me," Harry shouted.

Draco sighed and turned the messenger over and started the paragraph again.

I was a bit worried when I read your last letter. I'm sorry that you are still worried about Harry, but I'm sure he will adjust, Draco. He just needs more time than you. I'm so proud of you that you arestarting to feel comfortable, and even happy, there. I'm sure it will help you AND Harry. Please stop worrying about Harry and concentrate on yourself. Don't let your worry about Harry spoil your fun and success.

Harry turned abruptly on his back and stared at the ceiling.

"I said you won't like it. Now you are mad at me," Draco said sadly and turned on his side to look at Harry.

"No, I'm not mad at you, but I should leave," Harry said, emotionless, like he had spoken so often before they came here.

Draco panicked at hearing this hopeless and cold voice again. He had almost forgotten about it lately. "What? No, Harry. I said it was private. You shouldn't have heard this all."

Harry stood up and looked coldly at Draco. "No, it was good that I finally heard the truth. I hinder you from healing and feeling happy. That's it. I knew it before and now I have the proof. I will leave this camp. If you are a friend you won't tell anyone. This camp is the right thing for you, and I'm just acting as a millstone around your neck. I wish you luck, Draco. You have been the best friend I've ever had. Please don't tell anyone that I'm leaving." The coldness in his voice had left upon seeing Draco's desperate expression and tears.

"No, Harry, please don't leave me! Don't leave me alone," Draco screamed between sobs.

Harry looked sadly over his shoulder while already grabbing the door handle. "You are no longer alone, Draco. You don't need me any longer."

Chapter End Notes:
I warned you! :)

I will upload the Sneak Preview of the next chapter on my homepage in a few minutes!

Please review!!!