Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 39 - Awaking

-II-

The last round was the hardest. Harry had the feeling the fumes from the herbs were really affecting his brain. He felt numb and a bit dizzy. When again herbs were burnt, the rustling from the herbs turned in another noise. A noise he had heard before, the sound of large wings and then there was a new sound, a scream. A high pitched scream from an animal, but Harry couldn't make out what kind of animal it was. He only knew it was a normal sound and not a sound of pain. Harry had almost forgotten about the totem thing, but now it was back full force. That must be my totem, but what is it? He remembered the eyes that had stared at him out of the fire. Again he heard the wings, and he concentrated to hear it better. The dizziness became worse, and he felt himself being pressed down against the ground by somebody. He couldn't make out from where the hands came. He dropped onto his side, a hand resting on his chest and his cheek against the cold ground.

Draco meanwhile didn't feel any better than Harry did. He gulped several times and hoped he wasn't going to throw up. He felt dizzy and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he was standing on a rock in front of a cliff, a cool wind blowing across his face. Around him was a thick forest and fireflies filled the air. He was confused when he realized how close he was to the ground. Suddenly, his body reacted without him controlling it and his head pulled backwards and his mouth opened to scream, but the sound that came out of his mouth wasn't a scream.

It was a loud howl.

-II-

For Harry, the world slowly came into focus again. A cool cloth was dabbed over Harry's head, and he realized that he was leaning against one of the barrels.

"Back with us?" Black Hawk asked cheerfully.

Harry tried to turn his head in the direction of Black Hawk's voice, but a hand was placed on his forehead and prevented it. Severus head appeared in Harry's vision. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," Harry said, still a bit fuzzy. His head felt as if it was stuffed with cotton wool and his mouth was dry.

Severus peered closely into his eyes as he held his head in place. After Severus released him, Black Hawk was pressing a bottle of water to his lips. "Drink, it will help"

Harry grabbed the bottle. I'm no baby, he thought, annoyed. His eyes fell on the rest of the male camp members who were sitting around the campfire. All except of Draco and Light Arrow, that is. Harry's mind became clearer and clearer, and suddenly he noticed an itchiness against his bum. Shocked, he realized that his boxers were gone and he was only sitting covered by a blanket amongst all the others. Embarrassed, he pulled the blanket closer around him. "What have you done? Where are my boxers?"

"In the laundry, where else? They were sticky from your sweat. Everyone else has changed as well, but Light Arrow thought it was safer for you to not be moved too much; you slipped in and out of consciousness several times. But now that you are fully awake, it's time to get you back in your room and into bed," Black Hawk said. Seeing Harry's still shocked expression, he added, "Nobody saw you without your boxers beside Light Arrow and Sev. Calm down. There was a privacy shield over you the whole time. Getting you sick by letting you sit in your wet underwear while cooling down was not something Light Arrow would have allowed to happen."

"Listen to him, Harry. You need to rest. We will speak tomorrow," Severus said and gently cupped Harry's cheek. "I'm very proud of you and Draco." His face, although still showing concern for Harry's wellbeing, was beaming with pride for his boys.

"Draco?" Harry had finally remembered his friend and was now worried that he wasn't sitting with the others around the fire.

"-Will be okay. Light Arrow and Rose are taking care of him. Let Black Hawk bring you to your room, okay?"

"Okay," Harry said tiredly. Going to bed didn't sound like a bad idea. He was tired and still felt a little outside of himself. When he tried to stand up, he was swiftly hauled up in Black Hawk's arms. After squeaking in surprise, Harry quickly clutched the blanket around him again. "I could have walked by myself."

"Sure," Black Hawk said, snorting.

/

Coolness was surrounding him, like in the forest, but the more Draco came through, the more the coolness became wetness. A gentle hand was stroking over his head. "Don't panic, Draco. You are all right. You are in the bathtub right now. Everything is okay," Rose assured him softly.

Draco tried to focus, but it was difficult. His head hurt and his nose was stuffed.

Rose placed a wet cloth on Draco's head while her other hand rested on Draco's chest under the water. Her magic was helping Draco fight against the dizziness and nausea, but it couldn't stop him from feeling the other side effects of his first completed vision. They all had been surprised that Draco had a full vision. Normally, the kids wouldn't get a vision until they spent at least four sessions in the sweat lodge, and some even never got a vision at all. Maybe Red Horse's talk with them had opened them for it, but a full vision? That was really odd. Even Light Arrow had been impressed. Unfortunately, Draco's body hadn't been ready for a full vision, so he had passed out completely, not like Harry. That meant he would most likely suffer some side effects. "How are you, Draco?"

Rose's voice pulled Draco further out of his trance-like state. He panicked when he realized that he was in a tub full of water, but his attempts of standing up were prevented by Rose's hand on his chest.

"Calm down, Draco. Look around. Everything is covered and only Light Arrow and I are in the room."

Draco breathed at a quick pace, but looked around frantically. A big towel was placed over the tub, and he still wore his boxer shorts. Slowly, he calmed down and looked further around. Light Arrow sat close by the door on a chair and watched him seriously. "Am I ill?"

"No, you just blacked out. The herbs and the heat were a bit too much for you, we guess. What is the last thing you can remember?" Rose said softly, playing with his shoulder-long hair. She took the cloth from Draco's head and wet it again with the lukewarm water. This time she let it ran over Draco's neck.

Draco felt as if he was drugged; Rose's magic was amazing. He just wanted to close his eyes again, but he remembered that she had asked him a question. "I was in a forest."

Rose threw a glance to her father, who now stood up. "Let's get you out of the water, Draco." He snatched a big, dry towel and gave it to Rose. "I will help you out, and you tell me if you feel dizzy or any pain, okay?"

"Okay?" Draco said half-asleep already.

"Stop your magic, Rose!" Light Arrow reprimanded his daughter.

Rose didn't want to stop her magic. She wanted Draco to feel good, not dizzy or in pain, but she knew that they couldn't leave him in the water any longer. Sighing she pulled her hands back.

Suddenly Draco was awake again. His head hammered, and he only realized that Light Arrow had pulled him out of the tub when he stood in front of Rose who gently dabbed him dry with the towel.

"Sick," Draco croaked when he felt the familiar salty taste in his mouth. He closed his eyes against the dizziness. He was pulled against Light Arrow's body and another magic was flowing through his body; it was not as helpful as Rose's, but at least the nausea ebbed.

"We will have you in bed soon, son," Light Arrow said gently against his ear. "Rose will drape the towel around you waist now, and then I will vanish your boxers and cast a final drying spell. Everything will still be covered with the towel. All right, my boy?"

"I want to be in my bed," Draco said, exhausted.

"You will be there soon." Light Arrow waved his hand, and Draco felt his boxers gone. Before he could reach to cover himself, even though he was already covered by the towel, a warm breath was going over his body and he was clad in his pyjamas.

Rose pulled the towel out of the waistband of Draco's pajama bottoms. "All done, sweety," Rose said and kissed Draco's forehead.

"Of to bed with you," Light Arrow said and carried the half coherent boy into his room. After a bit more of Rose's magic, Draco was deeply asleep. A monitoring spell was placed on him and then Watje settled down on his chest, snuggling close to the snake plushy.

"Ah, how is he?" Light Arrow asked when he saw Black Hawk appear in the hall with Harry in his arms.

"Well enough to walk by myself, but he isn't letting me," Harry said in protest.

Light Arrow chuckled. "Into bed with him, Black Hawk." He held the door open and followed them inside.

The moment Harry was placed on his feet, Light Arrow was cupping his cheeks and peering deeply in Harry's eyes. Then he let his hand wonder to Harry's forehead. "You need sleep, Harry. I can't let you have a shower, for you're far too exhausted. I will perform a cleaning spell, and then you will be off into bed," Light Arrow explained.

Before Harry could protest, he felt first a cool, then a warm breeze over his skin, and suddenly the blanket was gone and he was in his pajamas.

"That will do for today," Light Arrow said and gently guided Harry into his bed. "I'm very proud of you and Draco, Harry." He held up his hand and had to grin. "I know what you want to ask. Yes, Draco is all right. He is sleeping and you can speak with him in the morning. Now, you need to sleep as well."

Suddenly Harry was overcome by a wave of sleepiness, and he wanted to glare at the obviously manipulative man sitting on his bed, but he hadn't the energy for it. Seconds later he was asleep.

/

"Come on, Black Hawk, I want to know how Draco is," Harry whined.

"I've told you once, and I'll tell you again, the one-to-one counselling is from supper to breakfast and it won't end a minute earlier. I cannot go into Draco's room uninvited, so you will just have to wait for breakfast," Black Hawk said while dressing. "Let's go to the bathroom. Maybe Draco will be awake when we are finished there."

Grumpily Harry agreed and followed Black Hawk.

"Don't you want to know what I saw?" Harry asked while he brushed his teeth on the toilet seat while Black Hawk occupied the sink and mirror to shave.

"I thought you would tell me when you were ready to do so. Speaking about a vision is something very private, Harry. You don't have to tell anyone about it if you don't want to." Black Hawk washed the remaining shaving cream from his face and grinned. "Nevertheless, I would love to hear about it."

Harry grinned around his toothbrush. "What would you do for me if I told you?"

Black Hawk turned around and eyed Harry. "Hmm, I will refrain from tickling you until you scream for me to stop?"

Harry groaned and pushed Black Hawk out of the way to rinse his mouth with water. "I was thinking more along the lines of you letting me use your razor," Harry said when he had finished rinsing his mouth.

Black Hawk grinned, relieved. He first had feared Harry wanted to convince him to stop the one-to-one counselling. "What do you want my razor for?" He ran his rough fingers over Harry's chin. "You are soft like a baby bum."

"I'm not!" Harry said indignantly and batted Black Hawk's hand away.

Black Hawk chuckled. "I was just joking, little bro. Of course I will show you how to shave." Black Hawk ruffled Harry's hair and then he pulled him in front of the sink.

/

"What's this?" Severus asked and pointed at the cut on Harry's chin.

Harry grabbed for the cut. "I cut myself while shaving." He tried to sound confident, but his voice wavered.

"What the hell do you need to shave for?" Severus asked, amused.

Harry turned red. Great, why does he have to say this in front of all the others at the breakfast table?

"I think he looks quite dashing, shaved so well," Rose said, winking at Harry.

That made the poor boy blush even more.

"By the way, you are a wizard, Harry," Severus teased on.

"Yeah, a wizard without a wand, Severus," Harry muttered, annoyed.

"You don't need a wand to shave. Only ninnies shave with magic," Black Hawk said mockingly in Severus' direction.

"Are you calling me a ninny?" Severus said, grabbing for his napkin.

"If you two start this again, I swear you will not leave my garden for the next couple of days," White Cloud said warningly. When her two sons stopped glaring at each other and lowered their eyes, she spoke to Harry. "Please don't ever try to shave alone before you have the knack of it, Harry. A tiny cut like this is normal, but I would hate to see you in pain because of a shaky hand."

"Don't worry, White Cloud. This shaving will last for the next two weeks. He has skin like Crying Horse. Smooth like a baby's," Black Hawk said in Crying Horse direction.

"Yeah, Harry, and look who has the prettiest girl here?" Crying Horse replied and leaned over to kiss his wife.

"Oh, don't drag me into your stupid boy games," Rose protested and bopped her husband.

"As if I would want a bossy head like her," Black Hawk said dryly.

"I swear if you don't get them under control, Joseph, I can't guarantee anything," White Cloud said, annoyed.

"You heard your mother, boys. If I were you, I would be careful," Light Arrow said. When they all lowered their heads, Light Arrow went on. "Let's talk about the plans for the day. Severus and Black Hawk will be occupied in the garden for the whole day. Draco and Harry will help them in the morning. So, what about the rest of you?"

Crying Horse said he would gather some osier branches with the kids so that in the evening they could all braid new baskets with Rose. "That sounds good. White Cloud needs more baskets to gather the vegetable from the garden," Light Arrow stated. "What are your plans for the afternoon, Red Horse?"

The bulgy man just shrugged his shoulders.

"Then keep a few hours free for our trip with Draco and Harry. You two still want to see some animals, don't you?" Light Arrow asked, avoiding saying snakes because that would certainly start a discussion with Severus.

Both boys nodded eagerly.

"Then that's settled," Light Arrow stated.

/

"This is horrible," Draco whined while he pulled the next weed out of the ground. "I hated herbology, but this is even worse!"

"Maybe you should have thought about that before you behaved like dunderheads and sneaked up on us during the sweat lodge ceremony," White Cloud reprimanded the boys.

"We are sorry," Harry mumbled, and Draco agreed.

"I hope so. How would you have felt if the girls had ogled at you two in your boxers?"

Both boys blushed.

"And you two should stop chuckling or I tell Draco and Harry about your stupid actions during your first stay here," White Cloud warned Severus and Black Hawk.

That shut them up, and other than many groans and a few curses, the rest of the morning was spent pulling weed out in silence.

"My back hurts," Harry whined and sat down on the closed toilet seat.

"Stop whining. At least for you two it is over now. We still have to spend the rest of the day in the garden," Severus said, annoyed.

"Yeah, and for nothing at all," Black Hawk agreed to Severus in protest.

"I look like a pig," Draco said and looked with disgust at his dirty fingernails.

Harry had to grin. Some things never changed.

"That's not funny, Harry."

"Yes, it is but you know what?"

"What?" Draco asked peevishly.

"We don't have to spend the rest of the day in the garden," Harry said, grinning madly.

Draco grinned as well. "Yeah you are right. That's definitely a benefit."

"You little monsters!" Severus exclaimed and filled his hands with water and splashed it in Harry's direction.

Black Hawk joined the game and splashed Draco. After a few minutes, the bathroom was a mess. When the door was pulled open and Light Arrow appeared in the door frame, they all stood like deer caught in the headlights. "You mother assigned me to tell you that the cleaning cloths are in the cabinet under the sink. She will come up here in ten minutes, and if the bathroom isn't looking tip-top by then, you two-" Light Arrow pointed at Severus and Black Hawk. "-will carry the manure for the beds with your bare hands from the manure heap to the garden."

"Why only us two? They have made the mess as well," Severus protested.

Light Arrow lifted his eyebrow. "Do you really want to discuss that with me?"

Severus groaned and splashed over to the small cabin under the sink.

"I thought so," Light Arrow stated. "Ten minutes, boys!" With a grin he left the bathroom. It felt good that they behaved like normal boys for some time. If they only they would do it where their strict mother couldn't see them; she had absolutely no sympathy for rough play at all.