Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 59 – Mistakes

-II-

"What? We just started the evening. Come on, cheer up. Maybe you should try a bit as well." Black Hawk slurred.

Crying Horse sucked in his breath. It was obvious that Black Hawk already wasn't thinking clearly any longer. He could smell the firewhisky as well. Who knows how much Black Hawk had drained of it secretly at the bar.

"Excuse me for a moment," Severus stood up and headed for the toilet. Locking his cabin, he sat down on the closed seat and tried to make his hands to stop shivering. Nothing helped. He could feel this odd taste in his mouth and the stupid feeling as if it was all dry. Almost jumping out of the cabin, he ran over to the sinks and splashed cold water in his face. No he was not ready to look out of Black Hawk, he couldn't even look out for himself. It was too early for this confrontation. He looked at his image in the mirror and then fumbled for the money in his pocket.

-II-

Severus went to the bar, making sure his brothers didn't see him. Only one little gulp, not more. Just to get that taste out of his mouth. "One firewhisky," Severus whispered to the barkeeper.

"What?" the man shouted. "You need to speak louder, pal. I can't hear you over all the music."

Severus threw a panicky look over to his bothers, but luckily they were occupied. Black Hawk was flirting with the two ladies again, and Crying Horse seemed to try to apologize for whatever Black Hawk just said and pulled him back in his seat. The eyes of the red haired woman wandered over to Severus, and he quickly looked away.

"I said, one firewhisky," Severus said through clenched teeth.

The barkeeper shook his head. "I can't hear you. You need-"

Further he didn't come because Severus' wand that pointed directly between his eyes surprised him. He wasn't scared, just surprised. A wand was something you saw seldom in that area. So without thinking much of it, he grabbed it and pushed it down, leaning close to Severus face. "Whatever you think you are doing with this stick between my eyes, it's not something good."

"Really, Lou. He is a foreigner, calm down," a woman's voice said beside Severus.

"He isn't a foreigner, Josy. He is one of Light Arrow's and should know better than to point wands in other people's faces," the barkeeper said angrily.

"Really?" the women said and turned to Severus.

The time of ignoring the woman was over, and Severus had no other chance then to look at her. Unfortunately the whole scene had caught the attention of almost all guests now. Even his brothers were looking at him. The woman meanwhile stared at Severus and at his hand, that still held his wand.

When Severus saw what was so interesting about his hand, he quickly grabbed it with his other hand and pushed it under the bar. It had been shivering badly.

"I don't know but I have the feeling whatever you asked for would not be good for you, don't you think?" the red-haired woman said. It was the lady from the table close by, the one Black Hawk had flirted with so wildly.

"What's going on? Trouble?" Black Hawk slurred drunkenly and banged his hand on the bar.

"And that's another one. The old man has good reason to not let them out very often," the barkeeper said snotty.

"Don't let us out? What are you telling her, you fucking bastard? I show you that I don't need someone to tell me when I'm allowed out and when-"

"All right, all right, we are going. We don't want any trouble. Come on, Severus, help me out here," Crying Horse said nervously, while holding a swaying Black Hawk, who tried to wriggle out of his grip.

"Why? If Sev here wants a drink, he should get one, right?" Black Hawk looked over to Severus. "We don't let anyone tell us what we should do. We have money, and you will give us something to drink!" He pulled money out of his pocket, dropping some notes and coins by it and banged them on the counter of the bar.

"If you have pity with those, Josy, then get them out of here before I call the police," the barkeeper said warningly.

"Clara, could you please pay the bill. I need to help those three out of here," Josy called to the brunette, who was still sitting at the table.

The woman rolled her eyes. "Do you always have to play Mother Theresa? Leave them be. They are just drunken troublemakers."

"I want a drink for my friend here," Black Hawk thundered angrily.

"I don't think you really want this. What's your name?" Josy asked calmly, looking at Black Hawk.

Fascinated, Black Hawk looked at her beautiful face. Her green eyes were magnificent. "You are beautiful," he slurred.

The woman chuckled. "That's an odd name."

The barkeeper groaned, rolled his eyes and left to serve a guest at the other end of the table.

"So, youarebeautiful, can we go outside? I think a bit of fresh air would do you well," Josy teased Black Hawk.

"Yeah, Black Hawk, I also think that's a great idea. Come on, Severus, I think it's better for you to be outside as well," Crying Horse said.

Severus was absorbed in his thoughts. Inwardly he was in panic. His feelings overwhelmed him. He needed something to drink. Soon, it would be better to have one now, but there was no possibility. Crying Horse would tell Light Arrow anyway so why getting his wrath without really getting drunk before. He needed to find another pub or a petrol station. Yes, a petrol station would be even better. He didn't protest when someone pulled him up and out of the pub. Only when the fresh air hit him, he saw it was the woman who was leading him outside. "I can go on my own," Severus said frustrated and pulled away from her.

She looked oddly at him, directly in his eyes. That made him nervous.

"I would not have something against your hands on me," Black Hawk slurred and threw his arm around the red-head. That broke the intensive eye contact she had with Severus.

"I'm so sorry, really," Crying Horse said nervously. "Normally they don't behave like this." He tried to pull Black Hawk off the lady without success. Black Hawk was clinging to her and made kissing sounds and leered at her.

"No problem," the woman assured Crying Horse with a smile. She had pity with the poor guy. It seemed that he wasn't used to look out for the other two. Obviously they were older than him. "Where is your car? Are you still able to drive?"

"Yes, I think so. I only had a few sips of my beer," Crying Horse said.

"I won't come back with you. I have my wand and can Apparate back later," Severus said and turned to leave.

"What? No, you won't Severus," Crying Horse said.

Severus turned angrily. "Who do you think you are? I can do what I want."

"According to your words, I'm your brother. My idea of a brother is a person that looks out for his brothers. That's what I'm doing now. So get your ass in the car."

"Are you dumb? It's still early. They won't even expect us back that early. We left only two hours ago. I will just stroll through the town a bit while you bring Black Hawk back home. That's what a brother does." Again he turned and started to walk, but now Crying Horse lost his patience. He grabbed Severus harshly.

"Don't you dare leave! I won't be the one to explain why you got yourself drunk and I didn't stop you. I know exactly what you plan to do. Look at you, your hands are shaking, you are sweating, all you are thinking about is getting something to drink."

Without thinking Severus swung his fist and aimed for Crying Horse's head.

The younger man was quicker and ducked it. He twisted quickly and grabbed Severus arm to pull it behind his back.

Severus felt hot pain in his shoulder and leaned forward to ease it.

Crying Horse leaned over to speak close to Severus ear. His voice was dangerous and so uncommon for the normally so cheerful one. "You will come back with me to the car, without making another attempt to run or attack me. If not, I will inform Light Arrow about what happened faster than you can reach the next bottle, and he will find you quickly. So stop this now and come back home with me!"

Severus groaned, he was sure something was damaged in his shoulder.

"What's your decision?" Crying Horse asked angrily and jerked at Severus arm again, not aware of in how much pain the man was in.

Severus bit his lips. He wouldn't show that he was hurt, physically and emotionally. His pride was all gone. Not only Crying Horse had seen him like this, no, the woman had as well and she seemed to know exactly what this all was about.

"Be careful, I fear you hurt him," Josy said worriedly.

Immediately Crying Horse loosened his grip." Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

"Let me go!"

"Will you come back home with me?"

"Merlin, yes. Now let me go!" The pain in his shoulder had sobered him. He knew that all the work would have been for nothing if he had only drunk. The shame about his behavior hurt even more than his shoulder, and he just wanted to be alone, back in his room.

Crying Horse let go of Severus, but warily watched him for any new attacks or running attempts.

Black Hawk meanwhile was busy slurring declarations of love in Josy's ears, who bravely held the drunken man up. "Will you give me your number, my beauty?"

"You wouldn't be able to remember it anyway," Josy said, amused.

"Really, can't I leave you one minute out of my eyes, Josephine?" the brunette friend of Josy said while coming out of the pub. "Merlin, let him drop!" She pulled a face that showed pure disgust when she looked at Black Hawk. "When you Uncle finds out about this, he-"

"He will be happy that I helped those lads here. I just help them into their car. Wait for me in ours, okay, Clara?"

The woman rolled her eyes and stacked away.

"Okay, time to head home, Black Hawk," Josy said and pulled him in the direction Severus had angrily gone.

"You know my name, sweety," Black Hawk said grinning drunkenly. "You like me, don't ye?"

"Yeah, you got me. Do you want to make me happy?" Josy asked, ignoring the worried look of Crying Horse.

Black Hawk eagerly nodded his head.

"I want you to drive home with your brothers there and be a good boy. Do you think you can do that?"

Black Hawk face fell, and he threw himself at her. "I can't!" He said miserably. "He will be mad at me."

Crying Horse again looked like a poor puppy lost in the streets. He pulled a face, apologizing. "Black Hawk, come on, let the women breathe. Maybe we will get around Light Arrow."

Black Hawk turned around so abruptly that he swayed violently until Crying Horse caught him. "Do you think so?"

Of course he didn't think so. Nothing could make Light Arrow miss that smell and Black Hawk's drunkenness. The alarms would go off as soon as they entered the wards, and the old man would already wait for them at the door.

"Sure. We have a chance. We can just sneak you in your room," Crying Horse lied.

"You are the best brother ever, you know," Black Hawk said happily and kissed Crying Horse on his forehead.

With a lot of hard work they got Black Hawk in the middle of the passenger seat and Severus sat grumpily down beside him. Josy closed the door and waved at Crying Horse. The young man waved back thankfully.

Thirty minutes later they passed the wards, thirty five minutes later they stopped in front of the main house and a very angry Light Arrow.

"I will not go out," Black Hawk said miserably.

Severus also had no intention to leave the car. His shoulder was hurting very much and during the car ride he had realized that he could hardly move it anymore. Crying Horse let his head rest on the steering-wheel. What a disaster.

"The kids are all up in their rooms," White Cloud said as she came outside with Rose. While White Cloud remained beside her husband, Rose went over to Crying Horse.

He still hadn't lifted his head, not even when Rose opened the driver door. Only when Rose laid a hand on his shoulder, he looked up. "It was a disaster."

Rose gently stroked his cheek, and then she looked over at Severus and Black Hawk. Immediately her facial features became serious and reprovingly. "I would get out of the car before Dad gets even more angry."

Severus awkwardly reached to open the door and winced. Crying Horse heard it. "Did I..."

"Shut up!" Severus said harshly and got out of the car.

"What happened?" White Cloud asked worriedly and tried to examine him.

Severus looked uncertainly over to Crying Horse.

"Just a little misunderstanding between a local guy and him. It's all settles now, but you should check his shoulder," Crying Horse said, hoping they would believe him.

The icy look Light Arrow was sending at him, was answer enough to the question if the old man believed him or not.

Severus tried to wriggle free of White Cloud's grip and hide in his room, but first, the old woman had a death grip on his good arm and second, Light Arrow's growl at him to behave and wait, made him stop.

"What about him?" Light Arrow asked, gesturing in Black Hawk's direction. "Did some local guy try to fill him up?"

Crying Horse looked down, ashamed.

"Move, Black Hawk, or I will make you move!" Light Arrow thundered, and Black Hawk held his ears. He already could feel a headache coming up.

"Rose, can you and Crying Horse handle him until we are finished with Severus?" Light Arrow asked his daughter.

"Sure, Dad. We will get him under a cold shower."

"Move!" was everything Light Arrow said in Severus' direction. "Don't think for a moment that I believe that story you two came up with."

Severus dreaded the interrogation that surely would come now. He wouldn't give away why he was hurt, and he hoped Crying Horse would stick to the story as well. It was quite the stunt the young man had pulled on Light Arrow. Severus would have never guessed that Crying Horse would dare to lie to Light Arrow for him.