Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7 - I Tried

"Yes, he is. I have never seen a horse like him. This white spot on his chest and his white ear are from wounds he had once. His owners were absolute jerks and beat him. The coat at those spots didn't grow in black, but became white. Light Arrow once said that he feels when he gets a new horse that there will one day come a teen to work with it. He says he just waits for the teen that belongs to the horse. Unega and Tohiadedi have been standing in the paddock with our horses since this spring, as if he had known you two would come. That's crazy, isn't it?"

The first time since Voldemort's death, Harry felt a cold shiver down the back of his neck, and he heard a crazy sound in his head, like a wing beat of a huge bird. He shook his head to clear it. Maybe I have been in the sun too long, Harry thought, confused. The feeling he had wasn't a bad one, as it had been with Voldemort; no, there was nothing frightening about it. It was a really good feeling; a safe feeling. Someone had been waiting for him.

"Yes, it is."

~*~

After taking his shower, Draco inspected his face closely. It was red, but it didn't hurt much. He traced the thick, long scars that almost run completely over his face. One stretched from his lower left cheek to directly under his nose. It was the one he was reminded about most often because he could feel it when he smile or shouted. He remembered, as if it was yesterday, when Lestrange had inflicted it.

"When you do it, do it right." His father, Lucius Malfoy, had said as he grabbed the knife out of Lestrange's hand.

Flashback

"You disgraced the Malfoy name, boy. Now, I'll take from you what you are so fond of: your beauty." And with that, Draco's father started to cut his face. Draco couldn't say what was worse: the pain from the cutting or the pain he felt by the cold eyes of his father. He is insane, just like the Dark Lord was, Draco thought desperately.

One cut after another was drawn from one side of his face to the other, and later his chest and back. His father enjoyed the cries of pain and grinned wickedly when the cries of pain became pleas to stop, then whimpering after Draco realize that his father wouldn't show mercy. Maybe he didn't even know the meaning of that word: mercy.

End of Flashback

Draco traced the last of the four long scars on his face. It almost looked like an animal had clawed his face. He stood in front of the mirror, clad in only a towel around his hips. The mirror was big enough to see his upper body. His red skinned arms stood out against his white torso. The thicker scars still looked red, but the thinner ones were already pale.

Nobody has mentioned my scars yet. I hope is stays like this. They didn't even avert their faces when they first saw me. That's odd, Draco thought confused. It was the first time nobody had looked away in shame or pity or disgust. Harry felt so guilty about what had happened in the dungeons, but not once had he looked at Draco with shame or pity, and never would he look at him in disgust. They had become good friends before the events in the dungeons, and after, they were like brothers. It's crazy how things can change if you give them a chance. Maybe my life can change again, now that I'm here. If everything goes my way, I'll never leave. Draco thought, completely sure that he never wanted to go back to his old world. The people here were so different.

He quickly dressed because he wanted to use the time he still had left before the feast would begin to write Hermione. She is surely waiting for a message, and Harry doesn't seem to be back yet.

Hermione,

Are you there?

The first day is almost over now. They force us to sleep apart, can you believe it? It's horrible. I hear every stupid sound in my room; I'm sure I won't close an eye tonight. I wish they would allow us to sleep in the same room. Harry says they have spells on the rooms. I don't care; I will try to sneak in his room tonight nevertheless. Why is it so important? Harry doesn't want to sleep alone either, but he at least had a cat in his room when we had to rest right after arriving here. He hopes it will come tonight as well. Can you believe it? Harry and an animal happily together? He hasn't touched any animal since my father ripped Hedwig's head from her body in front of him. Oh, sorry, I know I shouldn't tell you things like that. I was just so surprised when he enjoyed the company of the cat.

I almost forgot to tell you the most important thing. I have a horse now! His name is Unega, and he's beautiful. I wish you could be here and I could show you everything. I'm sure you would like it here as well. Yes, I like it here! I just feel sorry for Harry; I think he hates it, and he even looks a little scared around Black Hawk. That's the guy who helps us with the horses. To me, he is very kind. He always keeps distance between us and asks if he should call for Rose. She is the one responsible for me. I'm sure you could talk endless with her. She can let magic flow through her hands to help people heal.

The other adults are also very nice, but I'm glad Severus is here with us. The two older people here are White Cloud and Light Arrow. I have no idea how old they are, but they're very old, I think. They call Severus their son. It's all so surreal that sometimes I think it's a dream. The only thing I still don't like is the other kids. I don't want to talk with them, Hermione. I wish I could live alone somewhere, where nobody would look at me. Okay, not alone, but with Harry would be great. I know I can't demand that from him; you don't have to scold me, Hermione. There are just so many people here; it makes me uncomfortable.

My feelings change from feeling safe to unsafe and from happy to sad so quickly that it is just confusing me! I wish you were here. You were always the one to make things clear for me, and you sometimes understood my feelings better than I did.

Oh, and I have a sunburn, but it's not that bad. Now I have a cool hat. It's black, you should see me with it. I think I look cool, and it hides my scars.

Okay I will see if Harry is back. I will take the messenger with me, so please write back.

Bye, Draco

"He is taking a shower," a deep baritone declared from behind Draco when he tried to sneak into Harry's room. Draco jumped and turned abruptly causing Severus to raise his eyebrow at Draco's shocked face. "Do you want to come with me and have a talk until he is ready?"

"Okay," Draco said, willing his speeding heart to slow down. "You know, you could have given me a heart attack. You shouldn't scare people like that," Draco said.

"And you shouldn't sneak into Harry's room like that. You can go openly to him; you don't have to tiptoe into his room." Severus was already opening his room's door while speaking to Draco.

Draco looked curiously around the room. It was sparsely decorated, like his own room, but on the wall by his bed, a few photos were pinned. Draco sat down on the bed and had a closer look at them. In one, Severus stood in the middle, his arms over the shoulders of the two boys beside him.; he was grinning as were the other two. The Severus in the photo was someone totally different from the man Draco knew. But did that really surprise him after what he had seen with Thunderstorm, and how he reacted around the adults here? Severus had been here as a boy, too. The boy on Severus' right side in the photo looked similar to Draco. Suddenly the bed shifted beside him, and Draco looked surprised at Severus.

"That's Black Hawk." Severus pointed at the boy to his right in the photo. "The other boy is Falid. He is now living in Chicago as a social worker. Over there," -he pointed at another photo- "is Rose and me."

"And Red Horse and Crying Horse? Have they been here with you as well?" Draco asked while looking at the other photos.

"No, Red Horse was here before my time, and Crying Horse never came here before he met Rose. After school, Rose had a job working with the administration of the reservation for some time. It was there she met Crying Horse. Eventually, she decided to study and become a teacher. After the study, she worked in one of the reservation schools, but decided that she wanted always be here for the kids living here."

Draco looked at Severus. "We don't have to take classes here, do we?"

Severus chuckled. "No, you don't have. You should use the time here only for yourself. Use it to heal, Draco." He looked seriously at Draco, who averted his face. Severus gently lifted Draco's chin. "I heard you have done very well with Unega. I'm proud of you. It seems you really want to give this place a chance."

Draco smiled - a rare sight since the events in the dungeons. He loved it when Severus was proud of him. "I like Unega. I hope I can learn to ride him soon. So, do you know where Harry was?"

"He helped the other kids to build the campfire and prepare the feast."

Draco looked down sadly at his hands in his lap. "Has he already found friends?"

Severus again gently took Draco's chin to turn his face in his direction. "That's the reason for him being here, Draco. Harry has to realize that there is more than hate and revenge. It would be good if he were to find friends here and a new view about his future. You should be happy for him when he manages to adjust here."

"I know, but... I just don't want to loose him." Draco looked at Severus sadly.

"You will never loose Harry as your friend, but you two have to learn to live without each other. The bond you two have now can be very good, but if you don't watch out, it could strangle you both. You still have to be able to live alone, Draco. You wouldn't be healthy otherwise. What if Harry can't change his mind about revenge? What if he really does what he wants to do? He will die by it or he will be thrown into Azkaban for murderer! Do you want to follow him there because you can't live without him?"

Draco jumped up. "No, I won't let him do it! And you should stop him too. Why are you speaking like this?" Draco's voice became louder and louder.

"Because it is still a possibility, Draco. Closing our eyes about this won't help. I really hope that he will change and find a new way of living without the hate, but I'm not sure he will. Maybe the horrible things in the dungeons have changed him too much," Severus said sadly.

"You need to talk to him. Why don't you? DON'T SIT HERE AND TELL ME I HAVE TO LIVE ALONE BECAUSE HE WILL BE IN AZKABAN. STOP HIM!" Draco shouted. He didn't care if the others could hear him. He hated this topic, and he would never accept that Harry would fulfil his stupid plan.

Severus shook his head sadly in defeat. "I tried," he almost whispered.

"THEN TRY HARDER!" Draco screamed out loud before he ran out of the room. On his way he crashed into Harry, who stood open-mouthed in the doorframe. "I HATE YOU! DO YOU HEAR ME? I HATE YOU!" Draco screamed at Harry and ran crying to his own room.

Second later, Light Arrow stood close to Harry and observed the scene in front of him. Severus was still sitting on his bed, bowed over with his head in his hands. Harry still stood dumbfounded in the doorframe looking at Severus, shocked.

Rose, who had come upstairs with Light Arrow, was already on her way to Draco while Light Arrow stood helplessly in the doorframe, trying to decide who to take care of first. White Cloud emerged behind him and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Why don't you accompany Harry to his room and let me speak with Severus?" She didn't wait for an answer and gently guided Harry and Light Arrow to Harry's room. Then she turned and went into Severus' room, closing the door behind her.