Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here’s another chapter for you! These next couple of chapters are really important, so pay close attention! I’m out of school until August, so I should have more time to write now! Enjoy!
A Father's Love

After Dumbledore’s announcement the night before, Harry made sure he could talk to Tonks the next day. She willingly came to the castle during lunch, where she met up with Harry, Draco, Hermione, Ron, Remus, and Severus down in the dungeons.

“You’re ok, right? You’re not hurt?” Harry asked for the tenth time after they finished eating and sat down around the coffee table together.

Yes, Harry, I’m fine. I was checked over about a million times at the Ministry and taken to St. Mungo’s for a check up. I’m completely healthy, and I was never even hurt the entire time of my imprisonment,” Tonks reassured everyone. Even if Harry was the only one who asked, she knew the others all had the same worries.

“Albus refused to give us any information because the investigation is still going. I assume you were told not to say anything as well, but...” Remus said, leaving it hanging as if it were a question.

Tonks nodded slowly, a thoughtful expression on her face. “If you all take a Wizard’s Oath to not speak about it until after the investigation with anyone outside of this room, then I’ll tell you everything I can.”

Everyone in the room held out their wands, handle first, and waited for Tonks to touch each of them with the tip of her own. The Oath was sealed with a bright flash of light as everyone stowed their wands away once more.

“The night I was taken, I was hit with a stunning spell. I had wards that would alert me if anyone came within ten feet of my patrol zone, just for security, but they never went off. I never saw it coming. The next thing I know, I’m laying on a bed in some strange room I’d never seen, tied up. I could hardly move, and I had a gag in my mouth so I couldn’t really make any noise. After about fifteen minutes of wondering about my fate, someone came into the room.” Tonks paused as she looked up at Draco. Her frown was enough to speak for her.

“No! My father?!” Draco burst out, aghast.

“Yes, it was Lucius Malfoy. He told me if I promised to cooperate he would untie me and tell me his reasons for my capture. I had to give a Wizard’s Oath. He untied me and had a house elf bring us both food. I was really confused by then. He told me that he did not capture me as a mission for Voldemort, but for personal reasons. He wanted to know any information that I knew concerning his wife’s murder and the accident his son was involved in. As an Auror, I’m also required to take certain oaths and vows to protect information. I explained that I couldn’t release the information without getting express permission from my superior.

“This of course posed a problem, since Kingsley is my superior and in the Order. Malfoy knew that if we were to contact him at all, the deal would be up right away. I told him that there was a way to get around the vows and oaths, but it would be really difficult.”

“And what way was that?” Severus asked, though his tone sounded like he was only humouring everyone by asking the question because he already knew.

“Pensieve memories of the meetings and raids. Because I wasn’t actually giving him the specific information, it wasn’t technically breaking any of the oaths or vows. I was having a hard time separating the memories out, though, because I’m not a very good Occlumens. Once I finally got all of them separated and into vials for Malfoy, I had already been there for more than a week. After that, it took him another week to watch them all, and then give them back to me. Once I had them all back, he began to try to question me without breaking any of the vows or oaths. We actually had fun trying to figure out ways to ask and answer the questions,” Tonks said with a smirk as she sipped at the cup of tea that Remus had passed her.

“You guys had fun together? Are you sure it was Malfoy?” Ron asked with a bemused expression.

“Yes, it was definitely him.”

Harry frowned as he thought over everything Tonks had revealed so far. It didn’t quite make sense that the ruthless Death Eater who had tried to kill him last year treated Tonks so well as a prisoner, even having fun with her. Something didn’t feel right. If he wasn’t questioning her under Voldemort’s orders, then why did he really care?

“Where were you kept? A cell, the basement?” Harry asked curiously.

“The bedroom I woke up in that first time was where I stayed. I wasn’t allowed out of the room, but one of the house elves was ordered to watch after me and make sure I was comfortable at all times. I had plenty of food, he didn’t lay a single hand on me, and the only time he used magic on me was that first night when he captured me. He really only wanted to know who killed his wife, and who attacked his son,” said Tonks, shrugging as if she didn’t quite understand it either.

“Why did he let you go? Did he learn everything he wanted to know?” Hermione asked, her expression quite interested. She had been listening intently the entire time, the same way she did when she was trying to figure out a hard Arithmancy problem.

“Perhaps not everything, but enough. He finally figured out that, in both instances, Bellatrix Lestrange and Fenrir Greyback were at the heart of the attacks. Oh, I was given permission to release that information by Kingsley, by the way,” Tonks replied as she refilled her tea cup.

“He wants revenge...He’s going to kill them both, mark my words,” Draco said in a confident tone, looking like that information satisfied him quite a bit.

Tonks shook her head firmly, changing her hair from bubblegum pink to a white-blonde that matched Draco’s perfectly. “He said he wanted revenge, yes, but he told me that he did not intend to kill them. He did say that...well, he wasn’t quite sure where he stood anymore. If losing his family was the price for supporting Voldemort, he wasn’t sure he was going to continue that line of thinking. However, he wasn’t exactly ready to get buddy-buddy with Dumbledore and the Order either. He said he wanted to talk to Draco before he made any decisions, but he didn’t state any specific plans. The night after he told me that, I woke up in the Atrium of the Ministry.”

There was a long, tension filled silence as everyone became lost in their own thoughts. Tonks seemed to be perfectly fine with the entire situation, however, and gladly nibbled on the biscuits that accompanied the tea.

“At the risk of sounding like an arse...they have checked you for Imperius and similar spells, right?” Ron asked, his expression almost hopeful. What Tonks had told them made no sense when it came to what they knew about Lucius Malfoy. Even Draco had a hard time believing it, and he was the man’s son.

Tonks rolled her eyes and threw a half-eaten biscuit at Ron’s head, earning a glare from Ron and Severus both as the Potions Master vanished it and all of its crumbs from his rug. “Of course. I was poked and prodded and tested for hours, thank you very much. I’m not under any spells, and I’m not lying. I would never have expected a Death Eater to treat me so well either, but he did.”

“Anyways, I tried to convince him to try to talk to Dumbledore. If he wants revenge and doesn’t want to support Voldemort anymore, then he should support the people trying to defeat him. He said he’d think about it,” said Tonks.

Draco’s eyes were wide as he stared at his older cousin. “He actually said he’d think about it? Was he taking the piss, or was he serious?”

Tonks shrugged, downing the rest of her luke-warm tea and setting the cup aside. “Who knows, Draco? I guess we’ll find out eventually, yeah? I’m fine, you guys, and I don’t think we’ll have to worry about Lucius Malfoy any time soon.” The Auror glanced at the clock above the hearth and stood up. “I’ve got to get going. Merlin knows if I ever show up late again, Moody and Shacklebolt will start a full scale search again.”

“At least someone will be searching for you, since Fudge didn’t see fit to put any effort into finding you. Has Kingsley really filed an impeachment against him to the Wizengamot?” Remus asked.

“He has, and he’s pretty serious about it. It gives me warm and fuzzy feelings to know that people are still looking out for me in the Auror department. See you guys later.” With that, Tonks flooed back to the Ministry, leaving behind a slightly confused, but all together relieved group.

S~S~S~S

The next morning, the Daily Prophet revealed what Tonks had told everyone the previous night; an order of impeachment had been filed against the current Minister for Magic, and it was rapidly gaining popularity. There were many quotes from many high-up officials showing their support, including Dumbledore, who stated that though he did not want the job himself, he would support the order all the way to the Wizengamot, where he would vote yea.

Harry was shocked to see a few mentions of his name in the article as well, a small narrative about the happenings at the Ministry the previous year, and Fudge’s lack of acknowledgment or action concerning Voldemort.

“People are finally realizing what a bigot Fudge has been. No matter how many stories Skeeter put out there that you were crazy, Harry, the Wizarding World has got no choice but to believe everything you said last year now,” Hermione said with quite a smug smile as she spread jam over a warm piece of toast.

“It’s about bloody time, too. I wonder who will take Fudge’s place, though,” Ron said, waving a fork full of eggs around and almost spattering Hermione’s Potions book with yolk. She glared at him.

“I reckon either the Wizengamot will appoint someone, or there will be an election. I just hope whoever it is has more sense than Fudge,” said Harry, stabbing a sausage link rather viciously as he remembered all the things Fudge had refused to believe.

“I don’t think they’ll make the mistake of choosing somebody so dim-witted this time, Harry,” Hermione tried to reassure her dark-haired friend before turning back to her Potions text to study for that morning’s quiz.

Just before the bell was due to ring for the first class of the day, Dumbledore stood up from his seat, affectively silencing the Great Hall. He raised his arms with a warm smile, brushing the Potions Master’s shoulder, as if motioning for the man to stand up. Harry watched as his father rolled his eyes and stood beside the Headmaster, looking very disapproving of the fanfare.

“Good morning, students! Before you trek off to start your day of learning, I have an announcement to make. In light of recent events, Professor Snape and myself have decided to restart the Duelling Club in order to better teach you all to defend yourselves. The first meeting will be held tonight, here in the Great Hall, at seven-thirty. Students of all ages and houses are welcome, and groups will be made to teach the different levels accordingly. I encourage you all to join not only to learn how to properly defend yourselves, but improve your skills for tests such as your O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s. Have a wondrous day!”

Whispering broke out immediately, the bell ringing loudly over head. Everyone rushed to their first classes, as most students who had classes far away left breakfast early to get there on time. Harry held back, causing Ron and Hermione to stay with him. He smiled as Draco made his way across the hall and towards him.

“Why didn’t Sev say anything earlier about starting the Duelling Club back up?” Draco asked as the four of them made their way to Potions together.

“Maybe he didn’t want to say anything until he had full permission from Dumbledore. You’re going tonight, right?” Harry asked, noticing that Ron and Hermione walked on the opposite side of Draco. He really hoped his friends would begin to accept his boyfriend, but he wasn’t holding his breath.

“A chance to learn how to duel properly with Severus? Of course I’m going, Harry. Anyone would be daft not to attend. Dumbledore said that there would be separate groups, though. I wonder who else will be teaching. Certainly Severus doesn’t have time to do it all himself?” responded Draco.

“I think Remus will probably be helping. I mean, he is the Defence teacher. I wonder why Dad is heading and not Moony?”

“I think you’ve got your answer right there, Harry. Remus isn’t always reliable because of the full moons. I’m sure he’ll be helping but it is a better idea to have Professor Snape heading the whole thing,” Hermione said in a matter of fact voice, annoying Harry with her sideways insult to Remus.

“Hey, Harry – maybe we could get the D.A. in on this? I mean, you could even help teach!” Ron said with a wide smile as they made it down to the dungeons.

Harry grimaced as they entered the potions classroom, Ron and Hermione heading to one table while he and Draco went to another. “I don’t really know if I want to teach...”

“I think it’s a brilliant idea, Harry! You should talk to your dad about it,” Hermione said just as the Potions Master walked in, the door slamming behind him. Harry didn’t have a chance to respond as quizzes floated to each student.

“No talking. You have fifteen minutes to complete the quiz. If anybody needs more time than that, you clearly didn’t revise enough. There will be a potion to brew after the quiz, so I suggest you get it out of the way as quickly as possible. As this is a double period, you will have an hour and forty-five minutes to work on your potions. You will need it, as we’re beginning time-release potions this week. Next week, we will begin on long-term potions, which will be projects that will count for thirty percent of your grades. Get to work.”

Even though Harry had studied for a couple of hours the night before with Draco and Hermione, he still found the quiz a bit challenging. He bit his lip, trying to remember the four uses of powdered salamander eggs in acidic potions. He decided he would ask his father about extra tutoring that night, knowing that failing his dad’s class was definitely not an option.

After all of the quizzes had been collected, the Potions Professor put directions on the board for a new potion, which looked much more difficult than any of the potions they’d done so far that year. With N.E.W.T.s potions being a class that was ninety percent solo work, Harry couldn’t depend on Draco to make sure he didn’t blow up the classroom.

So far, so good, Harry thought. His potion looked to be the same colour and texture of Draco’s and he was doing very well on time, considering they had only been working for half an hour and he was nearly half way done. He felt his breath quicken as the Potions Master walked towards his and Draco’s work area to check on their progress.

“Your valerian roots are chopped a little too finely, Draco. I think adding an extra clockwise stir at step sixteen will make up for this,” Severus said as he studied Draco’s potion with a critical eye. He turned then to Harry’s, watching as his son visibly gulped. He held back a smile.

The colour, texture, and even smell was precisely what it needed to be for the step that Harry was currently at in the brewing process. He had taken extra care to watch that Draco was not helping Harry, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Harry had done so well all on his own.

“Good job, Mr. Potter. Don’t forget to turn the burner down for the next step.”

Harry watched with his jaw hanging open as his father made his way to the other side of the classroom to check the progress of Ron’s and Hermione’s potions. He was snapped out of it by Draco, who nudged him with his elbow.

“Don’t be shocked into ruining your potion, Harry,” the blonde whispered, a smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth.

At the end of class, Harry couldn’t believe he had actually turned in a vial of his potion, and received a passing grade for it. He bounded down the hall, pulling Draco by the hand, smiling so wide his cheeks hurt.

“Full marks! I got full marks in potions!” Harry shouted at the top of his lungs, earning strange looks from the people they passed. They had a free period before charms, and then lunch. Draco wasn’t sure he was up to dealing with a disgustingly cheerful Harry for the next hour.

“Some people do that every day, Harry,” Draco pointed out with an amused smile.

“Yes, but I don’t! And it’s not because he’s my dad, or because somebody helped me; I did it all on my own! Do you realize that’s like the first time...ever?!”

Draco chuckled as they made their way to his personal quarters to study for the exam that was scheduled for charms today. Hermione and Ron had gone off to study as well, or at least that’s what they claimed. Harry had the sneaking suspicion that, now that everything was getting back to normal with Ron, the two of them would be back together soon enough.

“Yes Harry, I get it, and I’m very proud of you,” Draco replied after saying the password to his quarters and dragging Harry in. He tossed his book bag onto his bed, Harry following his example.

Harry smirked as he pulled dragged Draco closer, brushing a tendril of white-blonde hair out of the Slytherin’s steel grey eyes. “Don’t I get some sort of reward for my excellence in potions?”

Draco rolled his eyes, but allowed Harry to pull him closer. His smile was genuine as he cupped the Gryffindor’s cheek. “What exactly do you want as a reward, Harry? ‘Reward’ is a very broad term.”

Harry pulled Draco even closer, so that there was no room between them at all. His hands were on Draco’s hips, underneath his robes, with only the Slytherin’s trousers between them. “Why don’t you surprise me,” Harry drawled, his good mood fuelling his courage.

As Draco pushed Harry forcefully up against the wall and began to slip his robes off, Harry was indeed surprised. Harry accepted the deep, passionate kiss Draco offered as his own robes were slid off of his shoulders and pooled around his feet.

S~S~S~S

At seven-fifteen, the Great Hall was already crawling with students of various ages and all houses. Groups were spaced around the Hall, talking quietly but excitedly together. The raised dais used for the Duelling Club in Harry’s second year had made a reappearance, and the lack of the House tables made the Hall seem vastly larger than normal.

Harry, Draco, Ron, and Hermione were all standing off to the side of the dais, looking out for former D.A. members and calling them over. There were only a few students that had been in the D.A. who weren’t there, but those were mostly people who had been in their seventh year last year.

“I really think you ought to talk to your father about leading a group, Harry. You really are a great teacher, and some of the students might find it easier to learn from a peer rather than a Professor. No offence to Professor Snape,” Hermione said with an apologetic smile.

“I’ll talk to him, but I still dunno if it’s a good idea. You know he never really approved of it before,” Harry said with a sceptical look on his face. He watched as his father swept into the Great Hall, Remus just behind him. The whispering and quiet talking ceased almost immediately. He grinned; his dad sure did have quite the presence about him.

Severus walked up the steps of the dais, Remus following behind him. He nodded at the Defence Professor as he stood off to the side, offering the main stage to Severus. The Potions Master flicked his wand, causing the doors to the Great Hall to bang shut and making everyone jump.

“Everyone in this room is here to learn how to duel properly and effectively, in accordance with Wizarding laws and duelling etiquette. This club is not an excuse to take your aggression out on your classmates, nor is it a joke. Learning to duel properly could save your life one day, and is not to be taken lightly. So, if any of you do not agree to adhere to my rules and Wizarding law regarding duelling, leave now and do not return. I reserve the right to kick any of you out at any given time as I see fit.”

Two second year girls, who were trying to muffle giggles, ran from the Great Hall. A few other students looked like they wanted to leave, but stayed put as their friends convinced them to. After a minute without anyone leaving, Severus deemed it time to continue.

“The art of duelling is just that – an art. Some people are foolishly mistaken in thinking that throwing spells back and forth at each other and being able to block some of them constitutes as duelling. Those people are not only ignorant, but extremely wrong. Any witch or wizard can throw spells back and forth, but duelling is a skill. Knowing when and how to use both defensive and offensive spells and blocking properly and affectively is only part of duelling. The other part is etiquette, or what is considered ‘fair-play’, though that term is misleading, as it refers to duelling as ‘play’.  Duelling is not meant to be fun, though some may find enjoyment in it. It is a survival skill, and should be treated as such.

“To begin, Professor Lupin and I will be assessing your skills and separating you into different groups based on age, experience, and magical ability. To be sorted into a certain group does not mean you are unskilled or stupid, it simply means there is room for improvement. A first year cannot be expected to have the skills of a seventh year, and some of the older students may need some review with Defence. Surmise it to say that you’ve all been extremely lacking in Defence over the years due to incompetent instructors. Professor Lupin and myself are determined to get you all up to par with where you need to be in Defence, for your benefit in grades as well as survival.”

“Everyone please break up into seven groups, according to your year. All houses will be clumped together; there will be no house segregation in this club, so get used to the idea of working with people you may not particularly like,” Remus instructed, watching as the smaller groups around the hall amassed into seven larger groups. He could see already that having the Gryffindors and Slytherins together was going to be tricky, but that was part of the reason for restarting the Duelling Club. It was time that the students learned that being part of different houses didn’t mean they had to all be at loggerheads.

Dividing up and working with separate groups, Severus and Remus quickly assessed the students, dividing everyone up into four groups; Advanced, Average, Acceptable, and Improvement Required. Each group was given a colour respectively – green, red, blue, and yellow – receiving duelling uniforms as well. By then it was already nine-thirty, and with curfew only half an hour away, it was time to release the students.

“The next meeting will be announced at breakfast the day of. If you have schedule conflicts, please come to myself or Professor Lupin to discuss it. As part of your separate groups now, you all have a responsibility to each other. Like your Houses, these groups will be like your new family. You’re dismissed. Go straight to your dormitories, no dawdling. I will take points if I catch any of you out after curfew.”

Harry and Draco stayed in the Hall as the rest of the students filtered out, including Ron and Hermione. The four of them were of course in the Advanced group, along with many of the other D.A. members.

“So, when do we get to start duelling?” Draco asked as he, Harry, Severus and Remus made their way out of the Great Hall and towards the dungeons.

“We have to get through rules and etiquette before any real duelling can happen. Some of you may be familiar with duelling already, but unfortunately most of your classmates are complete novices to the art,” Severus responded, flicking his wand behind him to make sure the doors of the Great Hall locked.

“Hermione brought up an idea she wanted me to ask you about, but I’m still not too sure about it,” Harry said, sighing when Draco smiled at him proudly.

“Oh, and what’s that, Harry?”

“You know about the D.A., right?” Harry asked, almost afraid of the answer. He knew his dad knew about their illegal club, and he was afraid he was going to get in trouble for it all over again.

“Yes, of course I know about it. I actually had a question for you concerning that. How do you feel about taking control of the Advanced group so that Remus and I may concentrate more on the lacking students?” Severus asked, trying to fight off a smile as a complete look of shock stole over his son’s face.

Harry stopped in his tracks, causing Draco to run into him. He started moving again as Draco prodded him painfully in the back with an annoyed glare. “You’re not serious, are you? Do you really think I’m advanced enough to teach the Advanced group?”

“I do think you are advanced enough, Harry. You have proved it time and again in your Defence classes and life experiences. No other sixteen-year-old boy has duelled and won more fights with Death Eaters and Voldemort himself than you,” Severus said, the pride in his voice shocking even himself.

Harry felt a burning behind his eyes and chastised himself for being so ridiculous. Many people had complemented him on his Defence skills, but to hear it from his father, from someone who used to insult his magical abilities so vehemently before, was something completely different. He stayed quiet for a long time, until they reached Draco’s quarters and he gave his boyfriend a kiss goodnight. Once in their quarters, Harry turned to his father, hoping the unshed tears that were still in his eyes and the lump in his throat were not too obvious.

“Thank you, Dad. I’ll try to head the Advanced group, if you really think I can do it.”

Severus pulled Harry close to him, wrapping an arm firmly around the young man’s shoulders as they entered their quarters. “You’re welcome, Harry. I really do think you are capable and competent enough. I have every confidence in you, son.”

Harry couldn’t hold it back anymore, and instead hugged his father and buried his face in Severus’ robes as tears leaked from his eyes. He felt like he was being completely ridiculous, but he had always dreamed of hearing a parent expressing their pride in him. He choked back a sob as Remus came up behind him, turning the hug into a group hug.

As his tears dried and his shaking came under control, Harry looked up to see that Remus had his head resting on Severus’ shoulder. He watched as Severus kissed the other man gently on the forehead, unknowing of their audience. Harry smiled, feeling completely content for the first time in a long time. He had two loving parents, who loved each other and were not afraid to show it, and were proud of him. One of his dreams had finally come true.

S~S~S~S

The last class of the day, Transfiguration, was nearly over. However, Harry couldn’t wait any longer, and raised his hand to ask to use the restroom. As he made his way down the Transfiguration corridor, he had the strange feeling that he was being watched. He paused, looking around to make sure there was no one following him. He shrugged and shook his head, willing his paranoia to go away.

After washing his hands and trying unsuccessfully to smooth his fly away hair down, Harry made for the exit to the boy’s loo. He stumbled as somebody walked right into him, causing his glasses to fall off. As he bent down to pick them up, he saw the person who had bumped into him already holding his glasses out to him. He slipped them on and frowned as he looked up at Blaise Zabini.

“Sorry about that, Potter. Must be something in the water, or maybe McGonagall’s voice is too similar to rushing water. Eh. Later,” the tall black boy said with a shrug as he walked around Harry and into the loo.

Harry stood there, slightly confused and just a little suspicious before shrugging it off. He didn’t know why he was being so paranoid, and it was starting to irk him. He took a second to re-strengthen his Occlumency shields, just to make himself feel better.

When Harry made it back to Transfiguration, he whispered to Draco about what had happened, both of them looking up as Zabini re-entered the classroom and headed back to his seat. He didn’t seem to be doing anything shoddy as he picked up his quill to continue taking notes.

“I wouldn’t read too much into it, Harry. I mean, if he really wanted to do something to you, I think knocking your glasses off wouldn’t be the road he’d take. It was probably honestly just an accident,” Draco reassured the Gryffindor in a whisper as Professor McGonagall’s lecture started to wind down.

“Yeah...you’re probably right,” Harry muttered as he watched the Slytherin in question pack his books and parchment away. The bell rang, breaking his trance as he rushed to stow all of his supplies away as well.

S~S~S~S

Ice cold wind lifted the edges of his shirt, and blew through his hair. The trees around him were clumped so thickly together that he could hardly see a foot in front of himself, the darkness near impenetrable. Not even the almost full moon provided enough light. Cold, confused, scared, and tired, Harry stumbled over to the closest tree, and slumped slowly to the forest floor in front of it. There was a low rumble just ahead, making Harry groan as he looked up. As he stared up at the canopy, he realized his vision was blurry; his glasses were missing.

Fat drops of rain began to pelt off of his already chilled skin. He put his arms up over his head, curling his legs in to try to keep the worst of the rain off of him. He noticed then that he was also barefoot. Grabbing for his wand to try to cast a charm to warm himself up, Harry realized his wand was gone. He tried not to panic, but it was pretty difficult in his present situation. There was no way he could get through the forest with no light and in the rain, so he’d have to wait until sunrise to make it back to the castle.

As he looked around, even without his glasses, he could see shadows moving closer. He couldn’t tell what they were, but they were making chittering noises that made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He heard a rustling from behind him and scrambled to his feet, reaching for his wand again and clenching his fists in frustration when he didn’t find it. He squinted as hard as he could, but between the darkness, the rain, and his lack of glasses, he couldn’t see anything. He felt his heart jump into his throat as the leaves of the bush he was staring at suddenly parted, and a pair of gleaming eyes moved forward. Harry quickly backed away, only to trip over a root that was sticking up. He scrambled back in an odd crab-walk on his hands and bum. Blind or not, Harry could not mistake that smell and that rough, gravely laugh. Fenrir Greyback was there, naught ten feet away from him. He threw his arms over his face in a weak attempt to protect himself, unable to keep a whimper from escaping him.

“Harry!”

With a jolt, Harry sat straight up in bed, his breath coming in heavy gasps as he tried to disentangle the sheets from his legs. He looked over at the doorway and saw Remus in his dressing gown, his wand lit and pointing towards Harry.

“Are you alright? I thought I heard shouting,” Remus said, his expression extremely concerned as he moved into the room and sat down on the edge of Harry’s bed. Upon closer inspection, the teen looked wretched, his eyes bloodshot and wide with fear, and his breath still much too quick for someone who had just been asleep.

“I...I was having a dream, or nightmare, rather,” Harry whispered, trying to get his breathing under control. He realized he was shaking, and tried pulling his blanket closer to warm himself up.

Remus reached over and smoothed Harry’s hair down, trailing his hand down to cup the Gryffindor’s cheek. The boy was shivering, but his skin was nearly hot to the touch. “I think you have a fever, Harry. Was it a dream about Voldemort? Do you think it was a vision?”

Harry shook his head as he accepted the glass of water that Remus summoned for him. “No, I was definitely myself. I think it was just...a nightmare. My scar doesn’t hurt.”

“Well, if you want to talk about it you know I’m here for you. Your father, too. Try to get some more sleep; you have a few hours before you need to be up.”

Remus was about to get up and leave when he received an armful of Harry. He smiled as he wrapped his arms around the teen, holding him close. He realized that Harry was lingering in the hug a little too long and pulled away to see his eyes drooping. Remus gently pulled the blankets up around Harry as he laid back down. He was already asleep when Remus left the room.

“Goodnight, son.”

Remus’ attempt to crawl back into bed quietly went without merit as Severus rolled over and stared at him with a raised eyebrow. He didn’t even need to state his question as Remus smiled at him.

“Harry had a nightmare. I went to go check on him.”

Severus was sitting up and halfway out of bed before Remus caught his arm, pulling him back down. “Is he alright? Was it another vision?” Severus asked, unaware of just how worried his voice sounded.

“He’s fine, Severus. He said he’s sure it wasn’t a vision, and he fell right back to sleep after drinking some water. He did feel like he might have had a slight fever though. I’ll check his temperature again in the morning.”

Severus looked reluctant to go back to sleep, his eyes shifting between Remus and the bedroom door. He saw the knowing look in Remus’ eyes and scowled and he stood up and pulled his dressing gown on.

“Shut up, Lupin,” Severus muttered as he left to go check on Harry, trying to ignore the chuckle coming from his husband.

As he carefully eased Harry’s bedroom door open, Severus thought that perhaps he was overreacting a bit. Remus had said the boy was fine, but he wanted to see for himself. He quietly walked in, peering at the teen over his blanket. His face was relaxed and his breathing was steady. He touched a hand to his forehead and felt that he was indeed a bit warm, but nothing too concerning.

Severus sighed as he brushed the messy locks of hair away from Harry’s scar. That one little piece of flesh, that little jagged scar, was the reason for so much pain in his son’s life. He’d heard about all the nightmares and the visions, though he had yet to play witness to one. He vowed then that he would do everything in his power to keep his son from suffering needlessly anymore.

“I love you, Harry. Sleep well.”

Chapter End Notes:
So, questions, concerns, comments? Please review and let me know what you think!