Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Mi Casa Es Su Casa

Over the next three days, Harry assisted Severus from dusk till dawn, even drawing him a bath at one point and helping him in, his gaze averted the entire time to spare both of their dignities. Severus was very grateful for Harry’s help, but was becoming increasingly annoyed with the lack of concern the Order and Dumbledore were showing. Not even Lupin had come back yet, though Severus figured he was probably still on his mission.

On the third day, the floo roared into life, making Severus jump and nearly dump tea everywhere if not for the quick reflexes of the man who had just stepped out of the floo.

Remus had his wand raised, freezing the tipped tea cup in mid air and vanishing it before it could scald Severus. “Sorry about that. I didn’t mean to frighten you. I’ve always said floos needed some sort of warning bell.”

Severus glared half-heartedly at the werewolf. “I was enjoying that cup of tea. I’ll just have Harry make us some more. Harry!”

Harry scrambled in from the other room, his wand out and his eyes wide in paranoia. He relaxed as he saw Remus standing just in front of the floo, smiling warmly at him. He turned to glare at Snape. “You don’t have to shout all the time, you know! I thought you were in here dying or something.” Harry turned back to Remus and smiled at him as he stowed his wand away. “Hi, Remus.”

“I was just making sure you could hear me, idiot child. Can you please bring us some tea? Lupin scared me half to death and vanished my tea for my troubles,” Severus said irritably. He had been particularly sharp tongued all day, though he had no idea why.

Remus smirked at the interaction between Severus and Harry, noting how Harry rolled his eyes at the volatile Potions Professor. “Hello, Harry. It’s good to see you.”

Harry grumbled something under his breath that sounded a lot like ‘must be Snape’s time of the month, pissy old man…’ before walking from the room. A second later he let out a yelp as a Stinging hex hit him squarely on the bottom.

Severus had his wand raised and pointed towards the door lazily as he sent the hex at Harry, having become use to this particular punishment if Harry decided to run his mouth. He looked back over at Remus, who was smirking at him. “Have a seat wherever you’d like, Lupin.”

“How are you feeling?” Remus asked as he sat down on the edge of the bed, feeling slightly awkward after their last meeting. He’d been struggling for days on whether or not to come check up on Severus immediately, or wait a bit. He’d forced himself to wait three days before showing up at the Bristol cottage.

Severus shifted under his blankets as he sat up more comfortably against the headboard. He’d been wondering when the werewolf would show up, and was extremely put out at the relief he felt when Remus came in through the floo. Maybe he was just happy to see someone other than Harry. “Much better, thanks to you and Harry. I owe you my life, Remus.” Severus shocked himself with the use of Lupin’s first name; he always used surnames because they were less personal, harder to get attached to or close to. The only other people he ever called by their first names were Draco, sometimes Albus, and now Harry, not to mention women; it was rude to use their surnames.

Remus blinked a few times in shock before smiling lightly at the Potions Master. It was strange, but good to hear his name roll off Severus’ tongue. He felt a twinge of guilt as he tried to squash down those erratic feelings, knowing Sirius was probably rolling in his proverbial grave. “Hopefully I will never need to redeem that Life Debt, eh? I’ve been too close to death too many times already; I’d prefer it if the score was left uneven.”

Severus surprised himself by letting the chuckle that bubbled up in his chest out, his eyes twinkling as Remus looked just as surprised. He chuckled again just at the werewolf’s expression alone. His bad mood had been miraculously vanished. “I do have a sense of humour, Lupin; just many fail to – ah – tickle my funny bone, I guess you could say,” Severus said lightly, actually enjoying the light banter. He felt a tad confused by his conflicting feelings; Remus had always been considered a mere acquaintance forged through the Order only, not to mention a slightly painful reminder of his past. Now, he felt himself almost drawn to the greying man; even more disconcerting as his sexuality was challenged for the first time.

Remus wasn’t quite sure what to say or do, and was relieved when Harry walked into the room carrying a tray of tea and biscuits. Remus took the offered cup and graciously sipped the steaming liquid, his eyes meeting Severus’ over the blue and white china. He tore his gaze away as Harry asked him if he wanted any cream or sugar. “No, thank you; I prefer my tea a bit stronger as of late.”

Harry nodded as he handed a cup of tea to Snape, just the right amount of sugar and cream added; he had learned fast how Snape liked his tea after having to make it for him so often as of late. Harry sat the tray aside and nibbled on a biscuit as he let his tea cool off a bit, looking curiously between the two older men. He had thought he’d seen something pass between them…a sort of look. But no, Remus wouldn’t be involved with anyone so soon after Sirius’ death, and especially not Snape, right? “How’d the mission go, Remus?” Harry asked, trying to take his mind off the unsettling thoughts of Remus and Snape...together.

Remus took a deep drink of his tea before answering Harry. “It went as well as could have been expected with Voldemort in such a foul mood. He sincerely hadn’t any idea Severus was a double agent until – well, I’m sure you remember. He was torturing people left and right for not knowing the truth either, as if it was all everyone else’s fault that Severus was such a good liar.”

Severus frowned as he lowered the cup of tea he was about to drink from. The way Remus was hesitating just slightly when he spoke of it told Severus that he wasn’t an exception to the torture. “Who were you masking as, Lupin?” Severus asked curiously. He hadn’t really been able to tell when Remus had rescued him, and had already passed out by the time Remus had retaken the Polyjuice potion.

“Ralph Parkinson. Dumbledore figured that sending me in as an Inner Circle might be too much risk, but he needed me to be a bit high up to get the information we needed.”

Severus stared at Remus for a few seconds before taking a long, deep drink of his tea. Parkinson was not necessarily Inner Circle, no, but he was part of what they liked to call the ‘Blood Circle’. Death Eaters who were part of the Blood Circle were the ones who did the worst of the crimes; killing and raping mostly, but kidnapping and torturing Muggle and Mudblood children alike were among their expertise. Severus would never have thought Remus would agree if the man would have known such information. “I daresay that wasn’t the best choice in disguises. Why Dumbledore didn’t come to me and ask me who would be the best candidate is beyond me, but I could have told you right away that Parkinson was not ideal,” Severus said darkly as he drained his cup of tea.

Remus shuddered slightly, causing his tea cup to tremble against the saucer in his hand. He took a deep breath before looking back up at Severus. “No, he certainly was not ideal. Luckily I was too busy being Crucioed to within an inch of my life to be forced to do much harm.”

Severus frowned in sympathy. He knew exactly what it felt like to be at the receiving end of relentless Cruciatus curses from the Dark Lord for hours on end. It was nothing like his latest treatment, but pain was pain, and after awhile, it didn’t matter how it was being administered; it hurt all the same. “I’m sorry you had to experience that; I know well how you feel.”

Remus shook his head as he set his now cold cup of tea on the coffee table. He looked back at Severus, who had sympathetic frown still on his lips. “It wasn’t anymore your fault than it was mine, Severus. You’ve no need to apologize for the mistakes of a meddling old man; Dumbledore should have known, and should have been able to prevent it. I’ve been wondering about his lack of proper intelligence for awhile now; he’s been making an awful lot of mindless mistakes lately. How much danger we are all in if Dumbledore decides to crack his pot now, I cannot even begin to imagine,” Remus muttered as a faint smirked played at his lips. He felt better seeing the amused grin mirrored on Severus’ lips.

Harry frowned confusedly as he looked between Snape and Remus. They seemed to be communicating wordlessly something that obviously had gone straight over Harry’s head. “What do you mean, ‘crack his pot’? You’re not saying Dumbledore is going barmy, are you?” Harry asked incredulously as he sat his tea cup aside and focused instead on the two older men, who exchanged another unexplainable look.

Severus shrugged as he pulled his knees up closer to his chest, resting his chin in his palm, his elbow leaning on his propped up knee. He usually wouldn’t be so blatantly blasé around other people, but he was comfortable with Harry and he frankly didn’t care if Remus saw him so relaxed. “He is fairly elderly and not getting any younger, Harry. It would not be such a surprise if Dumbledore went senile; it would only be a great loss and an even greater problem. Without Dumbledore, I’m afraid the Order would fall apart due to woeful ignorance alone; only a few of us have any idea how to go about things without relying heavily on Dumbledore’s guidance or instructions. It would pose a huge threat to the safety of the Light; that I am sure of.”

Harry felt a little bubble of panic form in the pit of his stomach. He too had noticed Dumbledore’s lack of proper reaction lately, but he never even considered it was because he was going round the twist already. How old was the elderly wizard anyway? “What do you think will happen if Voldemort hears that Dumbledore is losing his marbles?”

Remus shook his head and frowned darkly. “Probably something we don’t want to think about right now. Dumbledore hasn’t exactly jumped off the deep end yet, but we have to be cautious in these troubled times.”

“Harry, would you mind grabbing a potion out of my lab for me? The one in the purple bottle next to the bi-corn horn bin,” Severus asked suddenly, catching both Harry and Remus off guard.

“Yeah, sure.” Harry left the room to grab the potion for Snape, wondering if he was in pain and not telling anyone outright. The man certainly did have a high sense of pride, even for a Slytherin. He grabbed the potion and brought it back to Snape, holding it out to him.

“I’d like to discuss a few things with Lupin privately, if you wouldn’t mind, Harry,” Severus said as he took the potion from the teen.

Harry shrugged and waved lazily at Remus before leaving the room, closing the door behind him. He was used to being in the dark about most everything, though that didn’t stop him from being a tad bitter all the same.

A sort of awkward silence followed in which Remus raised a curious eyebrow at the potion in Severus’ hand. “You always store Wolfsbane in purple,” he commented, almost certain that’s what was in the small potion bottle.

Severus nodded, twirling the small bottle in his hands. “Yes, I do. This is my last bottle, since I’ve been forced to ‘experiment’ on my store to appease the Dark Lord’s orders. I plan to make more but I figured that, since the full moon is so close, I would give this last bottle to you. I know I was your supplier before, so I fear you’d not be able to find any elsewhere.”

Remus smiled faintly as he reached out and took the bottle Severus was holding out to him. He looked down at the precious potion that would surely save him from a most horrible transformation in two days. “Thank you, Severus. You’re right; I couldn’t find it anywhere else. I feared this transformation might have been my last. I’m too old and fragile for full transformations after growing dependant on Wolfsbane, especially after what I’ve been through this past week,” Remus said softly as he slipped the potion into his inside coat pocket.

“Do you ever feel like we’re getting to old to play these games anymore, Severus? Like maybe we’ve served our time and should give it up, let the next generation take over?” Remus asked quietly, his head cocked curiously to the side.

Severus let out a chuckle as he shrugged. “We’re thirty-six, not eighty. I know how you feel though. Unfortunately my role is up whether or not I felt like throwing in the towel. I’m not sure what use I’m going to be now,” Severus said with a frown. It was true; his usefulness had dried up when his disguise was blown. Dumbledore hadn’t even had the courtesy to check if he was still alive here with Harry. He felt used, to say the least.

“Harry and his friends, even the younger Order members, do you really think they’d be able to handle it alone? They need us veterans to help pull them through. We’re experienced in these types of things; they need a point of reference at least,” said Severus.

Remus thought about that for a while, getting lost in his own thoughts. He was pulled out of his reverie by noticing how Severus winced when he shifted. “Harry isn’t giving you a hard time about having to assist you, is he? He’s never been a selfish child, but with the history between you two…”

Severus shook his head as he sat up carefully and threw his blanket to the side as he got into a more comfortable position facing Remus. “No, he’s actually been very helpful and hasn’t complained at all, really. The dynamics of our relationship have…changed. I realized he’s not as arrogant and foolish as his father once was, and he realized I’m not such a bastard after all.”

“Severus, James wasn’t that bad! You’ve even admitted it yourself since James and Lily passed. Harry is just like his father; he’s strong-willed, a bit stubborn, he’s passionate about everything he does, and has the great ability to care for those who surround him. Those are not bad qualities to have received from his father,” Remus admonished with a frown. Would the Potions Master never get over this boyhood rivalry with a now dead man?

Severus shook his head, brushing off Remus’ reproachful glare. “No, they’re not bad qualities, but in the words of a wise werewolf and his mate ‘everyone is stupid at fifteen’. I guess it may have come out the wrong way, but I’m not saying that being like James is a bad thing; I only meant that Harry doesn’t have the arrogance and foolishness James suffered at Harry’s age. I’ve forgiven James, as part of my Life Debt to him and for Harry’s sake.”

Remus just stared at Severus, not sure how to react. He tried to get his sluggish brain to make some sort of reply. “Did you actually just quote Sirius and I?” Ok, so it wasn’t exactly what he had in mind, but it was something at least.

Severus tried to hold in his chuckle as the corners of his mouth twitched up in a reluctant smile. “Yes, it’s a very wise comment. It’s become a favourite maxim of mine, actually.”

Remus laughed openly, his amber eyes sparkling in amusement. Even after the laughter had died out of his voice, he and Severus just stared at each other. Remus tried to push away to feeling that he was betraying Sirius. He had loved Sirius very much, yes, but Sirius was gone and he couldn’t grieve over his lost lover forever, else he end up in an early grave himself. He knew if the opportunity presented itself, he would take it almost immediately. Something occurred to him just then. “What if I moved in here to help you and Harry out, Severus? I could help Harry by assisting you myself, and help you by taking care of Harry while you’re still ill. It would only be for the remainder of the summer, or until you got better.”

Severus’ eyebrows shot up at Remus’ offer. He couldn’t deny it, it was very tempting indeed, but there were a few holes in the plan. “What about your ‘very important role in the Order’, as Dumbledore puts it? Won’t he be sending you off on missions still?”

A dark look crossed Remus’ face, making the wolf in him stand out frighteningly. “I’ve told Dumbledore that on no account will I go off on his meddlesome missions anymore. These missions have been pointless from the start; it’s too late, the werewolves have banded with Voldemort and the more I try to change their minds, the harder they try to kill me. This latest mission was of a completely different nature, and Albus promised me it would be the only one. If he thinks he’s going to string me along into going on another one, he is very much mistaken. I will do what I can for the Order, but I refuse to risk my life in order to play a pawn in his crazy schemes.”

Severus was shocked by the determination in Remus’ voice. The man had clearly been stung one too many times by Dumbledore’s injustice, and Severus fully respected his decision. “There’s only one more problem then.”

Remus quirked an eyebrow in question, clearly not seeing the problem that Severus apparently had.

“Wherever will you sleep?” Severus asked with a smirk.

S~S~S~S

Harry had been thoroughly shocked by the news that Remus would be moving into the cottage for the remainder of the summer. He wasn’t quite sure what to think of it, but he wasn’t really complaining either. He was currently waiting by the fire in Snape’s bedroom for Remus, who had gone to collect his clothes and the few possessions he wished to bring with him. Snape was sleeping in Harry’s bed in the living room, which Remus had insisted on because he didn’t want to disturb the healing Potions Professor while he settled into his little corner of Snape’s room.

The fire burst into brilliant green flames and Remus stepped out, carrying two heavy trunks underneath his arms. “Well, Dumbledore had a right fit about all of this.”

Harry moved forward to help Remus with his trunks, though he was sure he didn’t need the help. He sat his end of the trunk down beside Remus’ newly Transfigured bed in the corner, then sat on the corner of the bed. “Why, what did he say?” Harry asked.

Remus sighed as he sat down beside Harry, pushing his trunks easily underneath the bed with a single foot. “As soon as I stepped out of the floo at Grimmauld Place, he asked me to go on another mission. I lost my temper and said a few – unkind things to him. When I told him I would be moving in over here for the rest of the summer, he told me that he forbid me from leaving Grimmauld Place. The nerve of that daft old man! As if he had any say in where I choose to live! I grabbed my stuff and left. Oh, Charlie says he’s sorry he couldn’t finish the chess game, but he’s willing to have a rematch when he comes next to see you,” Remus added, not wanting Harry to think he was too temperamental with Dumbledore.

Harry chuckled and nodded. “Yeah, I was kicking his arse good when you brought Snape in. He probably just wants to beat me to put his pride back together. Isn’t he going back to Romania, though?”

Remus shook his head, frowning lightly. “Dumbledore told him he needed him here in England for the Order, so he decided to move back to London, at least until the war is over. He said he misses his work and all the Dragons immensely, but he has an obligation to the Order. It sickens me the way everyone is expected to just give up their lives for Dumbledore’s precious Order. I’m very much in favour of doing what we can to win this war, but we shouldn’t have to give up our lives in order to do it. I include you in that, too, Harry. I’m sure the world wouldn’t end if Ron and Hermione came for a visit here, but Dumbledore of course forbids it. I moved here to help Severus heal properly and take care of and protect you, yet Dumbledore was still against it. He’s got a hidden agenda, and I’m tired of fighting blindly for him and getting nothing but pain in return.”

Harry was surprised by the venom in Remus’ voice. The werewolf was usually very kind and conservative with his opinions, but he was obviously well fed up with Dumbledore. “Dumbledore seems to be on everyone’s shite list lately. I guess I’ve always thought that, whatever his reasons, Dumbledore’s actions were for everyone’s benefit. Maybe that’s just my ignorance speaking, yeah?”

Remus shrugged, giving Harry a sympathetic look. “Dumbledore’s advice has always been highly valued among the Order members for just that reason, Harry, but lately he seems to be putting too much at risk for gains that we know nothing about. If he can’t be honest with us and lay all his plans out on the table, then why should we be willing to risk our lives for him? It’s just proper courtesy, and Dumbledore has apparently forgotten his manners.”

Harry nodded in agreement, his expression thoughtful. Maybe it was that he wasn’t ever around Dumbledore, or didn’t know all of the Order’s plans, but he hadn’t really thought of Dumbledore as losing his marbles. Two of the smartest men he knew were agreed that something was off with Dumbledore, however, so the odds were against the kindly old Headmaster. “Do you think something will happen soon? Or will it be awhile before the shite hits the fan?”

Remus chuckled at Harry’s euphemism as he opened one of the trunks and began to pull out his suits and casual clothes. At the very bottom of the trunk was a thick, folded mound of velvet. A sad smile spread across the werewolf’s face as he lifted the heavy velvet cloak and shook it out. “I haven’t had the heart to return it to his closet…”

Harry frowned at the deep black velvet and reached out a hand to run his fingers through the soft fabric. “Sirius’ favourite cloak. You’ve had it since the memorial service?” Harry asked, though he already knew the answer.

Remus nodded slowly as he played with the filigree clasp connecting the two sides of the expensive cloak. “I moved out of our room the day after the memorial service. I left all of his stuff untouched, but this I kept. I think…I think maybe you should have this, Harry,” Remus said, holding the cloak out to the frowning teen.

Harry’s eyes widened as he looked up into Remus’ lined and scarred face. He shook his head rigorously, pushing the cloak back towards Remus. “No, Remus, you should have it, not me! I…I can pick something else of his or something, but his cloak should be yours. It’s obviously important to you, I couldn’t…”

“Harry, I loved Sirius with every fibre of my being, but he’s gone now, and focusing on his loss will do me nothing but harm. In order for me to come to terms with it, I need to distance myself from him, if only until I can handle it better. I need to move on, Harry, and clinging to this cloak will prevent me from just that. If you want to think in terms of keeping it for me until I am better adjusted, then that’s fine. Save it, and I will ask for it when the time is right,” Remus said as he laid the heavy cloak over Harry’s knees.

Harry looked down at the cloak, clutching the velvet to his stomach as he tried to fight off the lump in his throat and the moisture in his eyes.

Just then, the floo burst into flames and Tonks stepped out in a rush. She looked around quickly and spotted Remus and Harry, who both quickly stood up at the look on Tonks’ face.

“It’s the Malfoy boy; he’s come looking for Dumbledore at Headquarters.”

Remus went quickly to wake Severus in the living room, leaving Harry to stand awkwardly clutching Sirius’ cloak while Tonks frowned at the velvet material.

“Wotcher, Harry.”

Remus walked around the side of the Transfigured bed and gently shook Severus’ shoulder. “Severus…Severus, wake up!”

Severus’ eyes snapped open and he looked up into the worried face of his old schoolmate. He tried to push himself up, but slumped weakly against his pillows. “What is it, Lupin? What’s going on?”

Remus put his arm around Severus’ shoulders and helped him sit up properly, pushing his pillows up to help support him. “Tonks just came in through the floo. She said Draco Malfoy has come looking for Dumbledore at Grimmauld Place.”

Severus’ stared at Remus for a few seconds, not quite believing his ears. He didn’t register the fact the Remus’ arm was still resting against his bare shoulders. “He came…But – how? How on earth did he know where Headquarters was?”

Remus shrugged as he pulled his arm away from Severus, though he did it reluctantly as he was afraid Severus might begin to panic. “I don’t know the details, but Dora might. Let me get her for you.” Remus walked back into Severus’ bedroom and noticed the awkward tension between Harry and Tonks. “Dora, Severus would like to speak with you.”

Tonks nodded before sending Harry a tight smile and following Remus out into the living room. She managed to hide her disgust at seeing Snape without a shirt on as she moved closer to the bed. “Snape, you’re looking better.”

“How would you know, you haven’t seen me since a week before my torture,” Severus snapped, glaring slightly at the revolting pink hair atop the otherwise attractive woman’s head.

Tonks grinned as she sat down on the arm of the chair beside the bed. “Yeah, I know. I was referring to your lack of clothing,” she teased, getting herself two glares and a blush.

“That was uncalled for, Dora. What is happening with Mr. Malfoy, how did he even know where Headquarters is?” Remus asked with a frown. He was trying himself not to notice Severus’ half-nakedness, but he couldn’t deny it; Snape was very well built for a wizard who hid his physique under many layers of robes and cloaks.

Harry walked into the living room and sat down on the coffee table, watching the three adults simply glare at each other for a few minutes. Remus was glaring at Tonks, who was alternating between glaring at Remus and Snape, while Snape glared furiously at Tonks. It was amusing, yet still kind of annoying.

“Malfoy is descended from the Blacks. He was taken to see Grimmauld Place as a child by his grandparents back when they were alive. He assures us that Lucius and Narcissa don’t remember the address, but he did. He could see it just like any Order member could. Charlie Weasley answered the door when he veritably tried to pound it down and carried the poor wretch in. He’s in a pretty bad way, and just kept mumbling that he needed to speak to Dumbledore,” Tonks explained as she crossed her arms over her chest. The boy had looked miserable, but it didn’t change who he was; a Death Eater’s son.

A low growl emitted from Severus as he glared a hole through Tonks. “That ‘wretch’ is my godson, Nymphadora,” Severus ground out, putting icy emphasis on Tonks’ first name.

Remus could tell nothing was going to be found out if Severus and Tonks continued to communicate, so he took the burden on himself. “Dora, has Dumbledore spoken with the boy yet?”

Tonks stood up as if to leave. “He’s speaking with him now. I have no idea what he’s going to do with him, but Albus told me to come inform Snape here that Malfoy is at Headquarters and, relatively speaking, safe. I have to get back to the Ministry, I’m sure someone will update you soon.” Tonks turned and walked back into Snape’s bedroom, tossing in her own floo powder and stepping into the green flames. “Atrium, Ministry of Magic!” She was gone.

Severus made to get out of bed, but was having a hard time looking dignified as he nearly toppled out of bed with the blankets wrapped around his legs.

Remus moved forward and pushed Severus back into bed, disentangling the blankets from his legs. “Calm yourself, Severus. You’re in no shape to go tearing off to London right now. I’m sure Dumbledore will come when he is finished speaking with Draco.”

Severus scoffed as he moodily crossed his arms over his bare chest. “Everyone is so bloody sure of people coming to update me, but where the fuck was everyone after you brought me back here, eh? No one has shown up but you to check on me. They don’t give a damn about my well-being, including my worry about my godson! All Dumbledore wants is to hound him for information. He’s probably sick and wounded and nobody fucking cares!”

“Severus! That is enough! Get a hold of yourself, please. We don’t know the circumstances regarding where Malfoy has been, and I’m sure if he had dire enough injuries, Dumbledore would have surely gotten him care before questioning him. I know you are worried about him, but giving yourself an anxiety attack over it will help nothing.” Remus sat down on the corner of Severus’ bed a laid a hand gently on the Potion Master’s leg.

Severus sniffed irritably as he turned his face away from Remus and Harry both. “Harry, would you make me some tea, please?” he asked, not wanting the Gryffindor to see him so very emotional and vulnerable.

“Of course, sir. Do you want something to eat as well?” Harry asked as he got up and moved towards the kitchen. He was shocked by Snape’s strong reaction to the situation, never hearing the man curse so much in the five years that he had known him.

“No, thank you, Harry,” Severus said, his face still turned away. He waited until Harry had disappeared into the kitchen before looking back at Remus, who was frowning sympathetically at him. “I have always considered Draco to be like a son to me. His father is a vile piece of work, and Draco has always come to me when seeking help or just an escape from Lucius and Narcissa,” Severus stopped to clear his throat, averting his gaze down to his lap before speaking again. “I had almost accepted the fact that I would never see my godson again, so you will forgive me if I’m just a little bit over-dramatic right now. I want my son back,” Severus whispered, glancing back up at Remus, who had begun to comfortingly rub his leg.

“And you shall have him, Severus, my boy!”

Severus’ head snapped around as he heard Dumbledore’s voice. He spotted Draco standing just behind the old Wizard, his head hung and his shoulders sagging pathetically. With a sudden burst of energy, Severus was out of the bed and pulling Draco into a tight embrace, not caring who saw this moment of sentimentality. “Sweet Merlin, Draco. I was afraid they’d killed you like they tried to do me.” Severus pulled away and held the Slytherin at arm’s length, kneeling down so he could see into his face. “Are you alright, are you hurt?”

Draco shrugged without looking into his godfather’s eyes, preferring to keep his mouth shut lest he throw up the tea and crumpets Dumbledore had provided for him. He had not eaten in so long that his stomach was revolting against the food and drink quite spectacularly.

Severus frowned as he stood back up and pulled Draco close to him, cradling his shaggy, dirty head to his chest. “It’s alright, you’re safe now.”

Harry walked in just then holding a tray of tea. He promptly dropped it, causing the china to shatter and the hot tea to go flying across the living room floor. Snape was cradling Draco Malfoy to his chest, whispering to him comfortingly. Malfoy looked horrible; he was deathly skinny, his clothes were in rags, his normally sleek blonde hair was muddy brown and lank, and his aristocratic face was pale and clammy looking. The usual malice that twinkled in his eyes was gone, the usually shimmering silver just a dull gray as he stared at Harry, leaning limply against the Potions Professor.

“Malfoy…”