Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so sorry about the terrible wait between chapters. I swear that didn't forget about this story, I merely had no spare time and little inspiration. I won't promise to have the next chapter quickly, as life isn't that easy to control, but I will try to keep the wait a great deal shorter (definitely not a full year again, I was shocked when I realized that it has been THAT long.) My goal is sometime in January. :D Now on with the story. I hope that it doesn't disappoint.
Chapter 11
 

Arabella froze when she heard the first knock on her front door. Looking down at the boy she was protecting, she whispered urgently, “Harry, go upstairs quickly and quietly. Do not make a sound. Do you understand?” Harry nodded and did as he was told. The last thing he wanted was to be taken back by the Dursley family. Having waited until Harry was safely upstairs, Arabella went to answer the door.

Taking a quick look through the window next to the door to see who was there, Arabella saw with horror that her visitor was Petunia Dursley. Feeling herself beginning to panic, she forced herself to take a deep breath and calm down. All she had to do was open the door, greet the woman cordially, find out what she wanted, and send her on her way. If she could remain calm, everything would be alright. Nothing else was acceptable. Taking another deep breath, Arabella forced a cordial smile on her face and opened the door.


Petunia was just about to knock on the door again, when it suddenly opened. She and her least favorite but most reliable neighbor, exchanged the usual pleasantries, but something felt different somehow. She wasn't sure why but there was something off about Mrs. Figg. She couldn't put her finger on it though, so pushed it to the back of her mind.

“I am sorry to bother you this morning, but I find myself needing a favor. I have a few important errands to run and my son is still tired and wishes to kip a little longer. Would you be willing to keep an eye on him for me? I will be back by noon at the latest.” Petunia asked.

Mrs. Figg blinked and said, “I am not sure if I can today, Mrs. Dursley. I have guests to attend to this morning.”

'Since when does she have guests,' Petunia thought bemusedly, but shaking it off, quickly said, “You wouldn't need to leave your home for more than a few minutes at a time, Mrs. Figg, as all I require is someone to check on him occasionally. Dudley knows that he is to stay in the house if he wakes before I arrive home. He has the telly or games if he needs something to do.”


Arabella was relieved that Petunia was only here for a baby-sitter, but knew that she would have to ask about Harry. Unfortunately, Petunia would think it odd if she didn't. “I suppose I could do that much. What of your nephew Harry? Will I need to watch out for him as well?”

Petunia visibly stiffened and lied, “That will not be necessary. Harry went with my husband to the office. He is going to the his 'helper' for a bit this morning. I will be picking him up before returning home.”

“I see,” Arabella said slowly, carefully hiding her glee at Petunia's bold-faced lie. It was clear to her what the main 'errand' this morning was, finding Harry. She suddenly had a wonderful idea. Affecting a confused expression she murmured, as if it was under her breath, “I could've sworn I saw sweet, little Harry walking toward the bus stop this morning carrying a little nap-sack, long before Mr. Dursley left. Must be the old age catching up to me, since I am obviously seeing things.” She barely hid her smirk as Petunia's eyes widened minutely before she controlled her expression.

Petunia obviously forcing herself to smile and fake not hearing what Arabella had just said, “Thank you so much for doing this. I will find a way to make it up to you.”

Arabella smiled, “It's no issue at all, dear. I simply adore your boys. Good day to you.” She continued to smile as Petunia reciprocated, then watched with amusement as she rushed down the walk, nearly ran across the street, and after getting into her vehicle, drove off. Just as she had hoped, Petunia headed toward the bus stop. She just hoped that she had bought them enough time to get Harry to safety.

Once she was absolutely certain Petunia wasn't coming back, she went to the bottom of the stairs and called up that it was safe to come down. She smiled happily as Harry all but ran down the stairs and threw himself into her arms.


Severus was greeted by the sight of Harry flinging himself into Arabella's arms and couldn't help but smile. “Did I miss something while I was gone?”

“Mr. Snape, you're back!” Harry pulled himself from Arabella's arms and launched himself at Severus. Wrapping his arms around the man's waist he blurted out the questions he was burning to ask. “Is the house nice? Does it have a garden I can play in with Bianca? Are we gonna live there?” 

Severus laughed and pulled away, saying, “Yes, it is perfect for our needs. You and Bianca are going to love the garden; it's will be quite lovely with just a bit of cleaning up.”

“Really? I can't wait to see it. Bianca...oh Bianca, did you hear that? It has a garden just for you and me; isn't that wondrous?!” Bianca mewed in agreement as she wound herself between her boy's ankles. Harry quickly knelt down and picked her up, cuddling her close.

Severus turned to Arabella. “ The house appears to be just what we need. The warding is strong and the house is sturdy, well laid out, and spacious. It has a full Master level potion's lab with updating charms. It even has enough bedrooms that you could come and visit. I haven't checked the floo yet, but that is rather irrelevant as I will most likely send Dassy to pick you up or apparate you myself.”

“Why is that Severus?” Arabella asked with a frown.

“Floo travel is monitored by the Ministry. Far too many of my former associates have influence in the various departments. Lucius Malfoy comes to mind.” Severus said with a grimace.

Arabella echoed his grimace. “I didn't even think of that. You are right, it's best to be cautious and use a form of travel that isn't easily traced. I would love to visit you and Harry at your new home once you are settled. I will go and pack up what little I have for Harry. Don't bother going to the Dursley's home. Every piece of clothing they have for him is better sent to the rag bin.” 

Harry blushed and muttered, “Like I want to look like I'm wearing rags or something. Don't have much of a choice. They were all hand-me-downs from Dudley. 'Course I never got them if they were nice, 'cause Aunt Petunia would send them to charity. Only ones I got were the ones that were too rough to give away. Guess she didn't care if I looked like a street kid, 'cept of course when anyone said something, then she would lie and tell 'em that I was just careless with my clothes. Eventually I got pretty good at fixing the worse issues, sewing up holes and the like. ” 

By the end of his explanation, Harry's eyes had filled with tears and Arabella rushed over and pulled him into her arms. “I never believed her, which is why I made sure to have something nice for you to wear whenever you were here. I don't know how anyone could not notice that your clothing was never new and that it was several sizes too large. The Dursleys have no excuse either, because I know that they are collecting a stipend from the government to care for you. You are NOT a burden on their household.” 

“They got money? B..b..but, why then do I only get Dudley's rags?! Harry sobbed.

“They probably spent it on other things.” Severus snarled. “They seem to have expensive tastes in cars and I am sure that the interior of the house shows it has well.”

Harry nodded. “That's true a-and D-dudley is ALWAYS g-getting new g-games and t-toys. What few t-toys I have, I had to s-snitch out of the t-trash. D-dudley has broken more t-toys this w-week than I have gotten in my w-whole life, I am sure. He...he gets just about everything he wants. It's not f-fair!” As he spoke Harry went from being sad to being angry. It wasn't right....not right at all the way his 'family' had treated him. If he had been paying attention, he would have noticed that things were beginning to rattle around him.

Severus quickly realized that Harry was about to have a rather strong episode of accidental magic if he didn't calm him down and quick. “Harry, I need you to calm down. Look at me and just breathe, please.” Harry did as he was told and tried to calm himself down. Once he was calm enough he asked why Severus had been so worried. “Harry, your magic was about to be released and you might have gotten hurt or hurt one of us, without meaning to. I wanted to alleviate that possibility. It wouldn't have been your fault. You are young and accidental magic will happen, but I know that you would be destroyed if you hurt one of us.”

“Magic? I have magic?” Harry said with a little trepidation.

“Oh, yes. I can tell already that you are going to be very powerful once you reach your full potential. Hasn't anything happened that you couldn't explain? Something you wanted very badly to happen?”

Harry thought back and had to say, “Yeah..., once my teacher was being mean to me and called me a liar and her hair suddenly turned blue. And once, Dudley and his friends were chasing me and I ended up on the roof of the school. Then, just last night, I wished really hard for my cupboard door to disappear so I could run away and it did.”

Severus smiled and stroked Harry's hair gently. “There you have it. You do have magic and will be real wizard someday. I will help you and teach you all that I know. I swear it.”






Chapter End Notes:
I know it's a bit short, but I stopped at a point that made sense to me, so I hope you don't mind too much. Thanks so much for reading.