Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Final chapter! Merry Christmas all!
Redemption

He couldn't explain why, but Harry felt relieved. He loved Susan, but at the same time knew it wasn't right to raise Draco's child if he wanted the chance. He had an entirely new perspective on it now that he knew he had been raised by people other than his father when his father wanted the chance. Circumstances were different now, but Harry reveled in the idea of being free from such responsibility. He really wasn't ready to be a father yet. He already felt gypped as it was, as though he had lost out on having a childhood and had been forced to grow up all too quickly. It was selfish, he knew, but he wanted one last year at Hogwarts to be a boy before he was forced to become a man and deal with adult responsibilities more so than he already was.

Even though Draco had made no promises to step up and take responsibility for Susan and their child, Harry felt like he had gotten through, and suddenly had faith that the other boy would do what was right, not because it was right but because he wanted to.

Over the next week, Harry recovered from the damage Susan's father had done to his body, although he never told her who had done it, and mulled over his new familial revelations to himself. Rumors had spread that Justin Finch Fletchy had cornered Harry and taken revenge for beating him up earlier in the year, but Justin was keeping his head low whenever Harry was around, and Harry was content to ignore every person who had ignored him or put him down all year.

Christmas was coming on and Harry had decided to stay over again, along with Susan and Draco, who still wasn't talking to her. Harry felt disappointed as they neared the holiday and it was the eve before students were to board the train and go home for a couple of weeks. He had hoped by now that Draco would have made a move, but it had not happened yet and he only hoped it was because the boy was making plans or trying to get emancipated from his parents before talking to Susan.

Harry was just on his way down to the dungeons to speak to Snape (whom he was still having trouble thinking of as ‘dad') and had just come into the Entrance Hall when the front doors opened to reveal Gary Lewitt.

The two dozen or so students mulling around the Entrance hall with their belongings stopped to look at him, and then at Harry. Harry froze and noticed that Draco, who had been leaning against a banister talking to another Slytherin had done the same. What happened next was confusing to all in the hall who did not know that Harry was not the father, for Harry quickly pulled out his wand and stepped in between Mr. Lewitt and Draco, ready to defend himself and the other boy. Susan's father did not fail to notice the protective stance the boy had taken in front of the other boy... the Malfoy boy whom Susan had once spoken of on a holiday at home.

Susan's father took a few steps forward and admired the boy who stood steadfast with his wand raised high instead of running from the man who had unjustly beaten him to a pulp. Nobody noticed Severus Snape standing in the entrance to the dungeons watching the scene unfold as well.

Quietly Harry turned slightly and said to Draco, "Run. I'll hold him off."

But then Draco had his wand out too and it was aimed at Susan's father, and he said to Harry, "I'm done running."

"Good."

The hall was quiet, and all eyes were on Draco and Harry as Gary Lewitt advanced on them without a wand.

"You're not welcome here," Harry said plainly, determined that any man like Gary Lewitt was not a good influence on Susan or her baby.

"I have come to apologize."

Harry heard Draco swallow next to him. "Apology accepted. Now leave," Harry said, eyes narrowing as the man came ever closer to the tip of his wand.

"Mr. Potter, I should not have beaten you two weeks ago, even if you were the father. It was not until Professor Snape informed me that you passed the chastity test twice administered by Aurors and then continued to stick by my Susan that I realized how blind and unkind my anger made me." There were little gasps around the hall and Harry glanced over to see Ron staring off into space halfway down the stairs from the first floor. Harry stuck his chin out just a little bit, feeling defiant all of a sudden and not knowing why.

"And judging by your protectiveness not only of my Susan, but of... another boy, I see you knew who the real father was and did not tell his secret, even at your own expense. You are a true friend." There was another gasp as people suddenly noticed Draco again and the look Mr. Lewitt was giving him.

"Harry-" They looked over to see Severus standing close now, "lower your wand. He's made his peace and now he can leave."

Gary Lewitt nodded and turned to go, but suddenly the Potion Master's hand shot out and caught his wrist, and loud enough only for the two men and Harry and Draco to hear, Severus said, "And if you ever, touch my son again, you will never again see the light of day, do I make myself clear?"

The man's eyes widened along with Draco's, and he nodded, before freeing himself of professor's grip and moving off out the doors fairly quickly.

With a pointed look to Harry and then Draco, Severus said, "I suggest the two of you remove yourselves from prying eyes and ears." He moved off then, back to the dungeons.

Draco looked at Harry, and the look of thankfulness he got was enough. Draco ran up the stairs to find Susan and Harry was content to know that things would turn out all right in the end. He would be there to make sure of it, to help his new friends in whatever way he could.

As he watched him go, Harry didn't notice the students staring at him until Neville cleared his throat. "Better move off you lot. We told you that you were wrong and you were content to throw slurs and believe lies the Prophet fabricated. Maybe next time you won't be so dimwitted."

He cuffed Harry on the shoulder and then moved off. Harry did the same, moving off towards the dungeons to follow the one person that year that had looked out for him.

"Sorry."

"Sorry."

"We didn't know."

"We're sorry."

Shamed whispers followed him across the Entrance Hall and then he was left to his thoughts again in the dark empty corridors leading to his father's office.

He knocked on Snape's office door a few minutes later and was bade to enter. Harry moved inside and sat down in a visitor's chair even though not invited to do so. They were silent for a few moments before Severus said quietly, "I may not be the type of father that a son wants, and I understand if you do not choose to pursue a familial relationship with me. However, despite the foul, nasty things I might have said to you in the past, Potter or not, you are the very type of son a father wants, and if you'll have me, I would be honored to be your father. You have become a fine man without my help but I would still like to-" he was cut off suddenly and startled as a mass of black hair and teenager had flown into his arms, holding him tightly.

They were quiet for a few moments before Severus heard Harry's muffled voice say, "I have to learn how to be a good dad, so that someday I can be one."

He ran his hand through the boy's hair and said, "Someday in the distant future I hope," and Harry nodded. "Then I will do my best to be a good role model for you."

Severus couldn't see it, but Harry was smiling into his father's robes, happy for the first time in a very long time.

* * *

"Sod off then," Draco said playfully as he shoved into Harry at the end of Slytherin table where he, Harry, and Susan sat eating Christmas dinner. There was a smattering of students and staff, but Draco was the only Slytherin student left so the three of them had chosen to sit at Slytherin.

"What, I think Harry James is a wonderful name to name a baby boy," he laughed then and Susan shook her head.

"He will be Harry Gary Malfoy."

"Forget it," Harry and Draco said in unison as Draco took Susan's hand under the table.

"Besides, we decided on Aster," Draco reminded her, and she nodded.

"Yes, it's a lovely name. Aster Harry Malfoy."

Harry looked up at them then and was met with two pairs of smiling eyes. "What?"

"Aster Harry Malfoy," Draco repeated. "And we wanted to know if you'd be his godfather."

"Me?"

"Yes you," Susan said with another little laugh.

Harry's cheeks turned red and he said, "Well I'll need someone to spoil, won't I?"

"Well you get to potty train him in a year and a half," Draco said pointedly, and Harry shook his head.

"We'll need some cheerios. That's how they taught me and Dudley."

"Cheerios? What's that?" Harry and Susan laughed and there was more than one pair of eyes on them at the staff table.

"It's such a wonder how friendships blossom in the most unlikely of places," Minerva commented to Severus, watching the three students from three different houses and backgrounds playfully ribbing each other and laughing.

Dumbledore leaned in to Severus then and said, "Like father like son?"

He shot the older man a look and said, "Indeed." It had not been fun explaining to him how Harry James Potter was really Harry James Snape, and how he would be spending his holidays at the Snape manor from this point on.

"Friendships have a magic all their own," McGonagall said dreamily, and Snape nodded. Especially when Lily or her child were involved, he thought quietly to himself, eyes once again turning to the new friends, who would not be separated.

* * *

"Harry! Harry! Open up!"

Harry roused and rubbed the sleep from his eyes before rising and opening the door to the guest room he'd been staying in for the Christmas Holiday. Draco promptly fell inside, hair a mess and cheeks red from running.

"It's time! She's in the Hospital Wing!" Faster than he thought possible, Harry threw his jeans on over his pajama pants and then a white t-shirt, and ran out the door barefoot, right on Draco's heels all the way up to the Hospital Wing. The baby wasn't due for another few weeks, but it seemed, at least to Harry any way, that he was anxious to get out into the world after being cooped up for so long in such a small space. Especially since everything was better now between Susan and Draco. He'd even given her a ring with the promise to make it official as soon as she was 17 or emancipated like he was.

They were stopped abruptly at the entrance to the Hospital Wing by the screams coming from inside. They gave each other a look and wondered if they should go in or not.

"I believe your place is inside," came a voice from behind them, and both boys startled and looked up to find Severus standing there in the darkened corridor, looking sleepy himself since it was three in the morning.

"Are... are you sure? She might not want-"

"She does."

Draco looked uncertain and Harry tried to give him an encouraging look, although he was having trouble with encouragement himself. If he were still in Draco's shoes, he would be stressed out beyond anything right now.

Finally Draco pushed open the door and crept inside as the screams got louder momentarily before the door shut tight again.

"You too," Severus said, prompting Harry to enter.

"But I'm not the father."

"No, but she wanted you both there."

"Oh." Harry sighed and said, "She sounds like she's in a lot of pain. I don't think I want to ever put somebody I love through that."

"Which is why it's a good reason to restrain from such activity until an age when both parties can appropriately cope with it. Inside with you. It is something you would do well to see and remember."

Harry swallowed then and pushed the door open, noticing that his father did not follow him inside. He blew his bangs up and noticed that Draco was there holding Susan's hand, looking scared and uncertain at how much pain Susan was in.

It was nearly four thirty when Susan's screaming stopped, only to be replaced with a weak little wailing from Aster Harry Malfoy, the newest addition to Harry's surrogate family.

"He's beautiful," Susan said, looking up lovingly into Draco's blue eyes. "He has your hair and eyes," she said, running her hand through the soft full head of blond hair.

"Congratulations, we're father's!" Harry shouted happily at Draco, slapping him on the back. Harry laughed then and Draco did too, but he still wore such a look of shock on his face that Harry couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Harry had the feeling that the birth was a traumatizing experience for Draco and that he had the same desire Harry did to never put a person through the experience again.

Susan handed the baby to Draco and it didn't take a genius to see that it was love at first sight as Draco held the little boy, who was now sleeping, bundled in a warm blanket. Harry looked back to see Severus, Pomfrey, Dumbledore, and McGonagall clustered together now near the door watching the new family, and then looked back as Draco was handing little Aster to him.

"What am I gonna do without you here when your mommy and daddy move away?" Harry asked the sleeping little boy quietly. "There's going to be no one here to complicate my life." Aster cooed, and Harry gave a little laugh. "See, you already know uncle Harry loves you, don't you?"

Standing by the door, McGonagall asked Severus quietly, "Have the Lewitt's agreed to let Susan out of school?"

He nodded. "Yes. The Malfoy's were furious when Draco emancipated himself and removed all of his money from the family vault. He hired tutors for the two of them and has a small house in Hogsmead ready for them, and with a threat of charges for Mr. Lewitt's ludicrous act against a minor, they agreed to let Susan move in with Draco."

"We will have to make arrangements for Harry to visit more frequently than regular Hogsmead weekends," Albus said quietly, and Severus nodded.

"I promised he would get the chance to see what a good father was so that he could learn to be one," Severus said quietly. Then he nodded towards Draco and said, "I believe he will have many opportunities to learn."

"Yes he will," Harry said quietly to the bundle of baby in his arms as he handed Aster back to Draco and watched in awe as the new father held his son tight, promising him a better life than he had had. "Yes I will."

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed this story! I loved writing it!

Ok, so just so that I don't leave it a big cliff hanger, here's what happened after this chapter:

Harry and Ginny eventually get back together, although it takes a while longer for Ron to come around, they also become friends again eventually. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sometimes even go to visit Draco, Susan, and Aster in Hogsmead with Harry towards the end of the school year.

After Ginny graduates, Harry and Ginny get married and end up moving in down the street in Hogsmead from Draco and Susan. Draco and Susan both finish school through tutoring and Draco gets a job working with the department of Magical creatures so that he can work in the Forbidden Forest and always be close to Susan and Aster. Susan gets a job for the Daily Prophet and ensures that all stories are verified through multiple reliable sources to prevent lies from being printed. Harry and Ginny have two children, who grow up with Aster.

As far as Severus and Harry go, Severus and Harry grow very close, and Severus even becomes like a father to Draco and Susan since the Malfoy's have nothing to do with Draco and the Lewitts don't come around very often.

The end. The rest I will leave up to your imagination, such as Ron/Hermione etc.

Also, I used a scripture at the start of this story, and I wanted to more fully explain my use of it. The scripture talks about how an enemy will come and throw tares (thorns) into your field when you've got something good going for you (in the scripture it was referring to the Kingdom of Heaven). When the thorns are discovered, the servants ask if they should go pull them up, but the master says not to because they will end up pulling up all the good wheat with the thorns. Instead he says to let the thorns and wheat grow together, and then in the end pull the thorns out and harvest the wheat. This is what Harry did. He took a bad situation and lived with it, pulling the thorns out in the end and taking what was good to make his life better. If you want to know more about my faith in the Bible feel free to check out my Bible study blog below: http://christianbiblestudyblog.blogspot.com/

Reviews welcome and wanted, but again, please no flames about my use of scripture or me being a Christian. Thanks, and thanks for all of the wonderful reviews thus far and in the future!