Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.
Moony and Harry

Dumbledore rose to put the now sleeping Severus to bed. Remus bade him farewell and picked Harry up.

"Have a good time with Remus, Harry. I'll see you at dinner," smiled the Headmaster as he ruffled the child's hair.

"Bye," Harry returned his smile shyly.

Lupin walked the short distance to his rooms and saw that the house-elves had set up some of Harry's toys in the living room.

"Well, now, Pup. Do you want to play?"

"Yeah," said Harry softly.

Remus opened the box of Lego and waved his wand over some of the blocks, which built themselves into a house. Harry clapped his hands in excitement. For the next half-hour they played with the blocks.

"Come on, Harry," Lupin said at last, "I've got you a present. Do you want to see it?"

Harry stared at Remus in awe as he produced a toy broom. Something stirred in his mind, telling him he enjoyed playing with these. He walked cautiously towards Remus, hardly believing that he had a present.

Lupin helped him to sit on the broom and, after a little gentle persuasion, Harry kicked off from the ground. He rose a few centimetres in the air and, with the man's help, moved around the room.

They played "Quidditch" for a while and Harry thoroughly enjoyed himself. By lunchtime, his little face was flushed and he looked happier than Remus had seen him in a very long time.

**************************************************************************

After lunch, Remus decided that Harry needed some fresh air. It was a warm day, and the Hogwart's grounds were always beautiful in summer. He found a Gryffindor lion kite, which Minerva had bought the child and they went out to the large lawns to play with it.

"'Agrid! 'Agrid!" called Harry happily, when hesaw the half-giant crossing the grass towards them.

"'Allo, young 'Arry," smiled the man, "are you 'aving a good time with Remus?"

"Yeah," said Harry, "We pay kittich an' a big lion in the sky."

Hagrid looked up at the red and gold kite.

"Well, now. 'Ain't that smashin'" he grinned, "I think young Sev'rus had a Slytherin kite out here the other day."

"Professor McGonagall bought them, I believe," answered the golden-eyed man.

"She certainly knows what ter pick for the young 'uns," Hagrid agreed.

"Moony, why did Pa'foot go 'way?" asked Harry suddenly.

Remus got the shock of his life. Hagrid had to grab the kite from him, as he nearly let it blow away. Regaining his composure, Lupin took Harry by the hand and led him to a small spot beneath a shady tree. He waved his wand and a rug appeared on the grass. He then sat down and encouraged the little boy to do the same.

"Harry," he began carefully, "Padfoot fought with a bad witch and, sometimes, bad witches and wizards win."

Remus was not sure how much he should tell the toddler. Dumbledore had told him what has happened the day before, and he was worried about causing Harry more distress.

"Pa'foot not come back," asked Harry, his eyes suddenly looking much older.

"No, Pup. He's not coming back," said Lupin very sadly.

"I miss him," whispered Harry, almost to softly to hear.

Remus picked him up and cuddled him, discreetly wiping his own tears away.

"Me too, Harry. Me too," he answered.

They sat like that for a while, savouring the closeness and each other's company. Lupin was sharply reminded of the times he had babysat little Harry, when James and Lily were alive. He sighed, things never could stay the same.

Hagrid watched them from a distance. He wiped his eyes with a large handkerchief and blew his nose loudly. He, too, remembered those happy days when before James and Lily's death. Still, he consoled himself, at least Remus was getting to spend some time with Harry.

**************************************************************************** *

Under the tree, Lupin looked down at Harry to discover that he had fallen asleep. He stood carefully and walked back towards the castle to put Harry to bed.

As the boy slept, Remus sat down and listened to the radio. There was no news about Voldemort on the Wizarding Network, except advertisements warning people to be vigilant. He hoped the Death Eaters captured at the Ministry of Magic in June would be in Azkaban for a long time. Pushing those morbid thoughts aside, he turned over to a music station.

When Harry awoke, Remus took him to the bathroom to change him. The house- elves had also set up his bathroom with all the things he would need to care for Harry.

Returning to the sitting room, Harry heard the music, and bounced and clapped in Remus's arms.

"I had forgotten how much you loved to dance," grinned lupin, and he swung the little boy around in a circle, making him squeal with joy.

Harry then demanded to be set on his feet. He wiggled and jumped to the music, causing more chuckling form Remus. Some time later, they were both tired and flushed.

"Come on, Pup," panted Lupin, "Let's get you back to Albus, now. Maybe he will dance with you. I am exhausted!"

"I 'zosted, too," said Harry.

Remus laughed. He was very glad that Harry was talking more now. He suspected that having time on his own with an adult had helped Harry immensely on that score. He made a mental note to discuss this further with Dumbledore, as he walked with Harry back to the Headmaster's tower.