Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: J.K. Rowling owns all.
Bubble and Squid

The morning nap greatly improved Severus's temperament, to Dumbledore's relief. He hoped that he would not end up wearing the toddler's lunch, or dinner.

The child in question tugged on his hand, pulling him out of his reverie. "Come an' pay, Abus," he demanded.

"All right, Severus," Dumbledore chuckled and allowed himself to be dragged over to the tos Minerva had left.

To Severus's delight, Professor McGonagall had bought both he and Harry, as set of Wizard's bubbles. The main difference between these and their Muggle counterparts, was that they floated higher and were not so easily burst. They also came in different colours and McGonagall had bought Slytherin colours for the little potions professor.

"Poshins," laughed Severus, as he stirred the paddle around in the soapy liquid.

"Here, child. Let me show you how to use those," said Albus, barely hiding his own excitement. He took the stick and and blew though the hole in the end. Severus jumped up and chased the bubbles around, trying to burst them as he squealed in delight.

"Geen, Abus," called the little boy, pointing at some bubbles.

"Well done, my Severus. They are indeed green," smiled the Headmaster, "Do you know what colour the other ones are?"

Severus screwed his little face up in concentration.

"That's a bit more difficult, isn't it? said Dumbledore,"Those bubbles are Silver. Green and silver are the colours of your house, Slytherin."

"Sithanin," repeated the child.

"Yes, Slytherin," beamed Albus.

***********************************************************************

At lunch time, Severus dutifully ate all he was given and did not throw any of it, which greatly pleased the Headmaster.

"Abus, where Hawee?" he asked curiously, as Dumbledore cleaned him up.

"Harry is with Remus, love. You were probably too tired to remember that, hmm?"

"He back letah?"

"He will be back at dinner, Severus," the old man explained.

"OK," Severus accepted that answer.

"Stowee, Abus," he commanded when Albus picked him up.

"You and your stories, child," smiled Dumbledore, carrying him to a comfortable chair.

Two stories later, the dark-eyed child was drowsing in Albus's arms. The Headmaster leaned back and very soon, they were both sleeping peacefully.

**************************************************************************

Mere seconds later (well that is what it seemed like for Dumbledore, anyway), he felt a tugging on his beard.

"Up, Abus! Up, up!" called the boy.

Albus winced and removed his beard from the little hands.

"Severus," he reprimanded gently, but firmly, "You mustn't pull my beard, child. It hurts me."

Severus responded by throwing his arms around his neck, almost knocking them both off the chair.

"Sowee, Abus," he said quietly.

"It's all right, dear. Let's get you changed and we'll find something nice to do until dinner time."

The toddler obediently followed Dumbledore to the bathroom and allowed the changing to occur.

"Poshins, Abus! Wook!" Severus bounced up and down on the changing table as Albus finished dressing him. Dumbledore followed the child's gaze and spotted the shampoos and bubble bath on the bathroom shelves.

"Yes, dear. Those are all the nice potions for the bath," he explained.

"I 'ave bath now, Abus?" Severus said eagerly.

"Not just now, child. You have your bath before bedtime, don't you?"

"Yeah," the boy agreed.

*************************************************************************

This conversation gave Dumbledore an idea.

"Would you like to go outside for a while, Severus?" he enquired.

"Yay, ouside!" the child clapped in excitement. "I'll take that as a, 'yes', shall I?" the old man's eyes twinkled.

Fetching Severus's pushchair, Albus dressed him in an outdoor robe and pushed him out into the school grounds. He had decided to take Severus to the lake for a while. He had always found it a peaceful, calming place and Severus was still agitated by his memories, which seemed to keep him between fear and anger, at times. Dumbledore hoped this walk would help soothe the child.

Albus greatly missed Harry's quiet presence that day. He vowed once more to arrange for time alone with him, when Remus had left. He knew that Harry had been quite withdrawn, probably unused to having his fears and feelings listened to and valued. Albus had not been lying when he told the boy he had watched him closely, while he was growing up at Privet Drive. The pain of what he saw almost caused him to run to the Dursleys and snatch the child back, but he stopped himself each time. Harry had to be protected, he told himself, though he was only now realising that he had inadvertently placed the boy in another dangerous situation.

*I should have listened to Minerva, at the time,* he thought, *I suppose it is too late for that, now. I shall just have to put things right for the child, as best I can. *

His mind once again made up, he turned his attention back to Severus. The afternoon was warmer than the Headmaster had expected and he could allow Severus to paddle in the shallow water, at the edge of the lake. He gave Severus some little toy cups to play with, and Severus was having a wonderful time, scooping up the water and pouring it out again.

"Here, Abus. Cup a thee," the little boy held out a cup to Dumbledore.

"Why, thank you, Severus. That is just what I needed," he smiled and pretended to drink the "tea".

Suddenly, what looked like a huge snake, to Severus, rose out of the water. He shrieked in terror and, as he tried to run quickly to Albus, he fell forwards. Dumbledore managed to catch him just before he landed, face first, in the water. The child's robes, however, were drenched.

Albus was almost as ashen-faced as Severus, as he gathered the toddler into a protective hug and started to make his way, at speed, towards the castle. The shock of the fall left Severus speechless until they reached in the Entrance Hall. He then began crying his heart out.

"Shhh, It's all right. It's all right," Albus soothed, "You got an awful fright, didn't you, pet."

"Big 'nake," sobbed Severus.

"No, child. That was the giant squid. I know he looked very big and frightening to you, but he wouldn't hurt you."

"Don' wike quid," came the small voice.

"I know, my darling. I know. Let's get you into some dry clothes, hmmm? Harry will be back soon and then we'll have some dinner. Are you hungry, Severus?"

Albus continued to talk to the raven haired child, in a low gentle voice, as he dried him and changed his clothes. After some time, Severus quieted and looked up into the concerned blue eyes.

"I 'ave bath in the yake," he told the Headmaster, who stared at him momentarily, before laughing heartily.

"Oh, Severus. You are funny," he chortled and kissed him lightly on the forehead.

A knock at the door announced the return of Harry and Remus.

"Dinner time, I think," said Dumbledore with a smile, as he carried Severus from the bathroom.