Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.
The Matchmaker

Severus was sitting in McGonagall's lap, when Lupin and Dumbledore emerged from Harry's room. “I had better go,” said Remus, with a yawn, “Today took a lot out of me. I forgot how energetic they are at that age.”

Dumbledore and McGonagall laughed.

“Bye, Severus,” Remus said carefully. He was not sure how the child would react.

“Bye, 'Emus,” Severus responded cheerily, as if he had never been afraid of the man. Remus shook his head in amazement and left.

***

“Now, young man. It is your turn for the bath,” said Dumbledore as he took Severus from Minerva.

“No!” Severus tensed in his arms.

“He usually loves the bath,” The Transfiguration Professor looked bewildered. “But he looks frightened, Albus.”

“He had a bit of an accident at the lake this afternoon,” Dumbledore informed her, before turning his attention back to the little boy. “Severus,” he rubbed the boy's back in a soothing manner, “It's all right. The bath won't be like the lake. I promise, child.”

He carried the toddler to the bathroom, where his bath was ready. “Do you want to choose some potions, Severus?” Albus smiled, hoping to allay the child's fears.

“Want dat one,” Severus pointed to a strawberry shampoo.

“All right, little one,” The Headmaster began to get him ready for the bath. Severus shrieked and clung to Albus, when he tried to lower him into the water. Albus wrapped a towel around the child and cradled him close. “Oh, child. Don't worry. This is nice, warm water. Do you want to put your hand in and see?”

“Quid in der,” Severus whimpered.

“No, love. There is no squid in there. Look.” Dumbledore turned the boy around and put his own hand in the water. He swirled it around to reveal a few bath toys. The squid was notably absent.

“Now, why don't you put your hand in, hmm?” he asked the dark-eyed child.

Tentatively, Severus reached out and put his small hand in the water. It was warm and he splashed it about a bit.

“You see, Severus. It is fine,” The old man smiled gently.

This time, the toddler allowed Albus to put him into the bath. Dumbledore spoke soothingly, as he washed him. He felt Severus tense when he washed his hair, so was very careful not to get water in his eyes.

With the Headmaster's gentle patience, Severus finally relaxed and began to play in the water.

“ 'Emus come back letah?” he suddenly asked.

“He will be back tomorrow,” Dumbledore looked surprised at the question, “He wants to spend some time with Harry.”

“Why?” Severus returned to his favourite question.

“Because he was friends with Harry's Mummy and Daddy and he used to look after him sometimes,” Albus explained carefully. He wasn't sure if mentioning James Potter would cause a negative reaction for Severus.

“An' you wook afta me, Abus?” said Severus, as Dumbledore gently dried him.

“Yes, child,” the Headmaster hugged him warmly, very much relieved that the conversation had turned out well.

***

Severus was quiet as Albus dressed him for bed. “I say night to 'Nerva,” he told Dumbledore as he ran into the living room.

Minerva was sipping tea and reading The Daily Prophet, when she suddenly found herself with a lap full of two-year-old.

“Night 'Nerva,” Severus gave her a very sloppy kiss.

“Goodnight, my wee pet,” she smiled, when she had recovered, “I hope Albus is not expecting you to go straight to sleep.”

“Chance would be a fine thing,” the Headmaster chuckled as he watched Severus jump off Minerva's lap and run to the rocking chair.

“Stowee, Abus,” he commanded.

“What's the magic word?” McGonagall gently chided.

“Pwease?” said the child, his eyes big and pleading. He ran to Dumbledore and wrapped his little arms around his legs.

“Come on, then. Why don't you choose a book?” Albus laughed.

Soon, Severus was nestled in the Headmaster's arms, looking at the moving pictures, as the old man read to him. McGonagall gave Severus a kiss and bade Albus farewell before turning to leave.

“No, 'Nerva! Kiss Abus, too!” Severus whined.

“Severus!” exclaimed Dumbledore.

The small child gave him a look so reminiscent of his older self, that Dumbledore was torn between shock and laughter. To please the child, and avoid a collapse on McGonagall's part, he simply took her hand and kissed it.

“Good night, my dear,” he said softly.

“Good night, Albus,” Minerva finally found her voice and allowed a small smile to cross her face. With a wave at Severus, she left.

“What am I going to do with you, young man?” Dumbledore looked down at the child he held, his moustache quivering with amusement. Severus just smiled and buried his face in the long, white beard.