Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all.
A Troubling Return

Dumbledore walked wearily back to his tower in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His day at the Ministry of Magic had been very trying. With the discovery, on Cornelius Fudge’s part, that Voldemort had, indeed, returned, his paranoia about the Headmaster and his own position had grown. He had spent the day trying to force Dumbledore to give him access to Harry. He wanted to find out if there was anything the boy had left out in his tale about Voldemort’s return and Harry’s version of the events of his night in the Department of Mysteries. Dumbledore told Fudge nothing about Harry’s current state and refused to give him permission to question the child. Instead he quickly changed the subject to plans for the second war against the Dark Lord. The Minister had seen the spark of anger in the Headmaster’s blue eyes and thought better than to ignite it. He had no choice but to let the matter drop.

“Insufferable man!” Albus fumed, with an uncanny resemblance to Severus Snape.

“Well, Albus. You look the way I feel,” said Professor McGonagall when he entered his living room, “Trouble with Fudge?”

“Is that not always the case?” grumbled the old wizard.

“Here, sit down and have some lemon meringue,” Minerva soothed as she cut him a large slice and offered him a cup of tea. He gifted her with a smile.

“Hello, children,” Dumbledore gave the toddlers a tired smile.

“Hi, Abus,” said Severus, “I misted you.”

“Oh, I missed you too, my dears,” the old man smiled, as he reached out to ruffle their hair.

In contrast to Severus’s happiness, Harry barely responded to the Headmaster’s gentle touch. He merely stared at the man.

“He has been very withdrawn all day,” McGonagall informed Albus, “And he barely touched his lunch or dinner.”

“I eated all my dinner, Abus,” Severus announced proudly.

“Good child,” Dumbledore took his plate and set it on the table. He turned to look at Harry and saw that the boy was trembling, tears running down his face.

“Oh, Harry!” he exclaimed, “What’s wrong, my pet?” He gently took the toddler into his arms. Harry just continued to cry silently. Dumbledore could almost feel the fear radiating from the small body. An image of the boy crying in a cupboard like this suddenly invaded his mind.

“What’s wrong with my little Harry, hmm?” he cooed, “Did you think I wasn’t going to come back?” Harry pressed closer to him and he knew he had hit the mark. The child’s fear of abandonment and need for reassurance was very strong.

“My poor little lad,” he crooned softly, “It’s all right. It’s all right. I’m sorry I had to go away today but I’m back now, darling, I’m here. Shhh.”

He cuddled the green-eyed child tightly in his arms, alternating between rubbing his small back and stroking his hair. Eventually, the trembling stopped and the tears slowed to small sniffles. Gently, he wiped the child’s nose and eyes.

Reclaiming his seat, he sat with Harry securely in his arms, as he ate his dessert. Harry let the man feed him a couple of bites.

Minerva watched them carefully and discreetly sent Dobby for another dinner for Harry. She passed the plate to Albus with a look saying, “You try.”

Dumbledore took a spoonful and held it to Harry’s lips.

“Open up the tunnel for the Hogwarts Express,” he commanded softly. To Minerva’s surprise, Harry opened his mouth and allowed the smiling Headmaster to feed him, making choo-choo noises as he pushed the spoonfuls in.

“You ARE mad, Albus” she commented with a small smile. She was very glad Harry was eating again.

Albus coaxed and praised Harry through the entire meal. Harry managed to eat almost all of his dinner. Dumbledore gave him a drink of juice and kissed the top of his dark head.

“Such a good boy,” he murmured to the child, who leaned back against him.

Severus watched the scene, but he did not feel the same jealousy or insecurity he had experienced in previous weeks. He knew Albus loved both of them and made time for each of them. He snuggled into Minerva’s arms and put two fingers in his mouth.

“Are you tired, my wee pet?” McGonagall whispered.

“Let’s get you bathed and ready for bed then,” she smiled, lifting him up.

“Dobby has the bath ready for Master Severus,” the house-elf squeaked.

“Thank you, Dobby,” said the Deputy Headmistress and patted his shoulder.

“Thank oo, Dobby,” said Severus with an angelic smile.

“Goodness me! Such wonderful manners, Severus” Dumbledore smiled at his other little charge.

“I onful manners, Abus,” Severus repeated with an air of dignity.

Harry joined the adults in some much-needed laughter.