Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all

A.N: Once again I must apologise for the delay. I’ve been very busy and I’m afraid I had HUGE writer’s block with this chapter. Thanks to all for your kind reviews and patience.

Thanks to my beta reader excessivelyperky.

As The 7th Month Dies

It was decided that the Healers would come to see the children after Harry’s birthday. Albus, Minerva and Molly were very busy planning his party. Dumbledore paid particular attention to security since Harry’s party was to be at The Burrow. There were many wards to put in place and he spent a long time chanting complicated incantations and pacing, which he was prone to do when deep in thought.

On one occasion, Albus was discussing Harry’s party with Molly Weasley when she brought up the subject of Severus.

“How is he getting on?” she asked, “And don’t tell me he’s on a long mission as a spy for the Dark Lord. I know that you de-aged him too. He is a very complex man and it’s clear he had a lot of problems as a child. I met that awful father of his”.

“How did you know I had de-aged him too?” Dumbledore was shocked. He thought he was being discreet.

“Well, having seen two small chairs at the little table in your office and two sets of outdoor robes and boots was a start,” said Mrs Weasley, “Then there was the fact that Harry mentioned playing with ‘Seberus’ the time I saw him. Don’t worry, no one else knows apart from those you took into your confidence”.

“Very little gets past you, does it, Molly?” Dumbledore half-smiled, “I was planning to tell you, of course, but I have to be careful. I haven’t even told the Order, apart from Remus. If this information fell into the wrong hands it would mean great danger for Severus”.

“Of course! I fully understand,” Molly laughed, “You shouldn’t wonder I rarely miss a trick, however. You know Fred and George”.

They both laughed and then Molly returned to her original question about Severus.

“He was badly abused as a child. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you about his father’s reputation and association with Voldemort”.

The red-haired woman flinched.

“He has had some serious problems but I think he is getting better. I am more worried for Harry at the minute. He is not coping very well at all”.

Mrs Weasley gave the Headmaster one of his own piercing looks.

“Harry is showing you that he is upset so you are naturally worried. Severus, however ‘seems to be coping’”.

“What are you getting at, Molly?” Dumbledore put down the teacup he’d been absent-mindedly been fidgeting with and looked at her carefully.

“Children who show you they are upset are easier to read and hopefully help, aren’t they? You might think Severus is coping but you don’t know it,” she gave him a shrewd look, “I know you feel a lot of guilt about Harry’s situation but you can’t let that blind you to Severus’s”.

“I am directly responsible for Harry’s suffering,” the Headmaster suddenly looked all his 150 years, “I put him with the Dursleys among other things”, his mind went back to the night in his officer where Harry had raged and thrown his objects around.

Molly softened her voice, “Albus, you are a wonderful Headmaster of Hogwarts but you cannot save every child. Do you think you saved Severus the first time?”

“No,” Dumbledore said flatly.

“But now you have a real chance to help him. He is a vulnerable child who needs you every bit as much as Harry and I know that you love him”.

“He is always my child. No matter what age he is,” Dumbledore’s eyes glittered.

“Then don’t make the same mistake again. Don’t push him to the side because he is behaving well or protesting less than he did at the beginning. That could be a sign that he thinks you favour Harry over him, his adult mind is still intact after all. He may be afraid you will send him away if he protests too much. Neglect is more damaging than abuse, in a way, especially if you are neglected by someone you love and I believe Severus loves you very much”.

Dumbledore put his head in his hands. an uncharacteristic gesture of despair. Mrs Weasley put a hand on his arm.

“I’m sorry if all I said sounded harsh. You are doing a great job with Harry and I’m sure the same is true of Severus. Being a parent is the hardest job in the world and there are no instruction books, spells or charms to change that. All I am saying is that you don’t want to spoil anything you have already achieved with little Severus by making Harry your main focus of attention. They are both very hurt little children who show that hurt in different ways”.

“You are quite right, of course,” Dumbledore looked up and sighed, “I have made a mess of things at times and, do you know I had thought of leaving Severus with Minerva while we had Harry’s party”.

Molly looked shocked.

“I was doing it for what I thought were the right reasons,” he quickly added, “My Severus is a very private person and I did not think he would want the Weasley family and Hermione Granger to see him as a young child”.

Molly nodded, “But it is not the adult Severus you need to think of now and it would do those children the world of good to see their surly Potions Master as a shy child. They have good hearts and it may help them to understand him better. They do tend to think the worst of him”.

“Severus has worked hard at making himself appear inaccessible,” replied the Headmaster, “Few can see through it. I never thought I’d be joining them.

“You haven’t,” said Molly vehemently, “And you won’t as long as you remember that he is still Severus Snipe, even as a child, with all that it entails”.

As she left, having been assured that a place would have to be set for Severus at the party table, Albus hugged her.

“Thank you,” he said, “For stopping a foolish old man from making another grave mistake”.

“Foolish? Never” She smiled and disappeared into the flames.

The day of Harry’s birthday soon arrived, sunny and warm. Harry woke in his small bed (the children had been given little beds the previous week on Madam Pomfrey’s advice) and looked around. There were lots of brightly coloured parcels at the end of his bed: were they his? Harry wasn’t sure and he crept over to Albus’s bed and crawled in.

Dumbledore was a light sleeper and having two young children to care for meant that his slumber was sometimes interrupted. He woke abruptly when he felt a small figure press close to him.

“Good morning, birthday boy,” he smiled brightly, “Did you see your presents, little one?”

“My pesents,” asked the child shyly.

“Your presents, Harry," The Headmaster affirmed, gathering the child close and giving him a birthday kiss on the forehead, “Why don’t we open some, hmm?”

He led Harry back to the pile and encouraged the child to select a gift.

“Ah, this one is from Remus,” Dumbledore said as he helped Harry open it.

Remus had given Harry a small, cuddly wolf.

“Moony,” said Harry as he held it close.

“Yes, child,” answered Albus, “Moony says it is for you to hold when he cannot be with you so you will remember that he loves you.”

There was no telling how much of this Harry understood but he held the wolf more tightly, a small smile on his face.

The next present was from Molly Weasley. It was a small set of emerald green robes. “To match his eyes,” she had told Albus fondly.

Ron and Hermione had been informed, in the strictest confidence, of Harry’s present state and some of the reasons for it. Ron had bought Harry a mini Gryffindor Quidditch outfit and Hermione, always the educator, had bought him some enchanted children’s books.

Hagrid’s idea to get Harry a baby dragon had not been approved, least of all by Minerva McGonagall.

“What on earth were you thinking?” she exclaimed, “After the last time, too. You cannot get a dangerous creature like that for a toddler!”

“S’only a little baby,” Hagrid had, somewhat tearfully, tried to defend himself.

In the end, Dumbledore had again enlisted the help of Charlie Weasley, who had returned the little creature to its native land. The old Headmaster had then gently explained to his dejected Care of Magical Creatures teacher that a dragon, no matter how small, was not the safest of presents for a 3-year-old. Hagrid instead bought Harry a pop up “Magical Creatures” book.

Minerva bought Harry a little mobile with miniature Quidditch players flying around it, chasing a snitch. The small boy gazed at it in wonder for a long time after Albus placed it above his bed.

Albus himself had put a lot of thought into a present for Harry. Harry opened it to find a small golden box with a phoenix engraved on each side. When Harry opened it the air was filled with the beautiful soothing trills of the most magical bird, which created an air of serenity around them. On the inside of the lid there was a mirror, rather like the one Sirius had given Harry the previous year.

“When you are feeling sad, lonely or frightened, Harry, I want you to open this box. If you look in the mirror I will know that you have need of me. I do not want you to suffer alone anymore child. I love you and will always be here for you.

Harry, of course, could not comprehend all that Albus had said but he read clearly the love and concern in the light blue eyes of the old wizard and he threw himself into his arms. They sat there for a long time, Dumbledore holding the child close, the boy’s little arms wrapped tightly around his neck.

When Severus awoke he was a little confused with all the parcels and excitement. Albus and Minerva had been mindful of his feelings and had given him gifts too. The box Albus gave Severus was very much like Harry’s except that it had a griffin and a serpent engraved on either side of it.

“You are my little Slytherin and I love you as much as I love Harry. You are my pride and joy,” he kissed the dark haired child on the forehead, tears in his eyes.

This extreme emotion, first thing in the morning, proved a little too much for the barely awake Severus, He pulled back and began to shake.

“Child?” Dumbedore looked alarmed until he remembered Molly’s words. He had clearly shattered another emotional barrier. He pulled the distraught Severus into a loving embrace.

“Shh, darling. Shh my treasure. It is all right. I am sorry if I frightened you. You are not quite awake, are you my pet? There now,” he shifted the now sobbing child into a more comfortable position and began to rock him, humming a soothing tune.

Severus gradually became calm and allowed Dumbledore to help him open his other presents. Hagrid had bought Severus a “My First Unicorn” book.

“Oo-corn!” the child said with delight. Dumbledore laughed and then so did Harry even though he was not really sure what he was laughing about. The two children then ran around the room singing “Oo-corn!”

When Dumbledore finally got their attention again (and downed a goblet of headache potion) he helped Severus open Minerva’s present of a toy potions kit. There was an unexpected gift from Remus. A cuddly wolf, similar to Harry’s only it was fast asleep and made tiny snoring sounds. The note simply said “Thanks.” Dumbledore had no idea what all this meant and made a mental note to ask Remus later.

Hagrid, Minerva, Albus and Madam Pomfrey enjoyed a birthday lunch with both the children. The boys each got a turn to blow out the magical candles on Harry’s cake, which sent out different coloured sparks, much to their amazement.

In the late afternoon, Minerva stayed at Hogwarts to attend to the mounting pile of paperwork, while the Headmaster took Harry and Severus to The Burrow for his birthday party.

The Burrow was beautifully decorated when they arrived. There was an enchanted sign bearing the words “Happy Birthday Harry” Each word lit up every few seconds. Severus and Harry were fascinated by it.

Harry was still very shy and withdrawn at times so Mrs Weasley had decided it was best to keep the numbers at his party down so as not to overwhelm him. There were five people sitting at the table to greet Severus and the birthday boy. The Weasley parents with Ron, Hermione and Ginny. The youngest Weasley girl had become close to Harry over the course of his fifth year and she had been keen to stay. They all smiled warmly when Dumbledore came in holding Harry and Severus by the hand.

“Happy Birthday, Harry, dear. Hello Severus, lovely to see you,” beamed Mrs Weasley, “And you too, Professor Dumbledore.”

“Goodness, Molly. Don’t call me that! It makes me feel old," everyone laughed, “Hello Arthur. Hello children.”

“Now, boys,” said Dumbledore gently, “This is Arthur and this is Molly and these are Ronald, Hermione and Ginny. They are your friends and they wanted to see you. Is that all right?”

Ron, Hermione and Ginny tried their best not to stare at little Severus. Hard as it was to imagine their friend Harry as a child, it had been easier than imagining Professor Snape in that position. He was one of those people, to them, who never had been a child. He’d just been born and then turned 37.

Both toddlers clung to the old wizard’s hand but neither child backed away.

“Yes, my dears,” said Mrs Weasley kindly, indicating to the children to set the dishes out on the table, “Remus will be here later to play some party games with you. Won’t that be fun?”

“Moony,” said Harry quietly.

“Yes, Moony is coming,” Dumbledore stroked his hair.

“Well now. Let’s have some lunch,” said Arthur, “Molly’s cooked up a storm for the occasion.

She certainly had and everything tasted wonderful, from the chipolatas to the biscuits. The final addition was the birthday cake. When she unveiled it, everyone gasped. It was shaped like a broom and had a miniature Harry figure sitting on it.

“Abus! That Hawee!” Severus’s first words since they had arrived made them all stop.

“Aww,” said Hermione and Ginny together, while Ron opened and shut his mouth like a goldfish. He had still expected Severus to call Harry “Potter.” Surprisingly, it was Arthur who gave his son a slightly disapproving look.

“It certainly is, my child,” beamed Albus, “My dear Molly. You have outdone yourself with this. It is wonderful.”

“Nothing but the best for our Harry,” Molly smiled and ruffled the toddler’s hair. He gave her a little smile in return, “And my, my, Severus. You are very handsome in that lovely blue outfit,” she stroked his cheek and to Dumbledore’s amazement, he didn’t flinch or pull back, but leaned into the contact. Molly then gave him a kiss on the forehead and he moved a little closer to her. It was not long before she had him sitting in her lap, talking to him and listening to his little tales.

Ron, Hermione and Ginny kept up lively chatter as they ate and made many attempts to engage the toddlers in the conversation. Severus and Harry merely looked at them at first but gradually; they became a little more confident and answered some of their questions. After the food they asked the little boys if they would like to go outside and play.

“Now you be careful with them,” warned Molly wagging her finger, ”They’re only little and I don’t want them doing anything dangerous.”

“Oh, I’m sure they’ll look after then very well, Molly,” said Dumbledore cheerfully, “Sherbet lemon?” He produced a bag from his robes.

“I don’t know where you put it all,” Molly laughed, declining the offer.

Harry held Hermione’s hand as they walked out to the garden Severus surprised them all by holding Ginny’s. Dumbledore secretly thought this was due the striking resemblance the only Weasley girl bore to her mother. Ron kept taking furtive glances at them, as if making sure they were really his best friend and his worst teacher.

“Why don’t we play some ball games?” suggested Hermione.

Harry and Severus had a fabulous time throwing and catching the ball with Ginny and Ron. Hermione joined in at times but sport was not her interest and she watched the children carefully for any signs of worry. She was very intuitive and knew that Harry was good at hiding his feelings, even as a child. She also suspected that Professor Snape was similar in that way. She saw that they were happy playing outside and she was glad.

After the games Harry rode a little tricycle around the garden. It had belonged to Ginny and Ron when they were small. Severus was more interested in chasing the little gnomes around, “poshins! poshins!” he kept shouting.

“I wouldn’t mind if you stuck those rotten things in your cauldron,” Ron managed a smile at Severus, hoping when he got re-aged he wouldn’t remember it.

Honestly, Ron! He’s only a baby,” Hermione lectured him when he voiced this sentiment.

By the time they returned to the house, each little boy had a healthy glow in his cheeks.

“I hope you weren’t doing anything dangerous,” Molly fixed her eyes on the children and then looked pointedly at Ron.

“No, Harry and Pro-Severus are just a little tired, I think,” answered Hermione calmly, “I wouldn’t have allowed them to do anything dangerous.”

“Definitely going to be a teacher, that one,” muttered Ron. Hermione gave him a mock-stern look and they all laughed.

Severus let go of Ginny’s hand and ran over to Albus.

“I pay ball ouside,” he told him earnestly.

“Did you, my pet? That must have been fun,” he pulled him up into his lap. Harry soon joined them.

“I want you to watch the fireplace, children and you’ll get a surprise.”

At first, nothing happened but suddenly the flames turned green and the spinning figure of Remus Lupin came into view. He stepped out off the hearth wiping soot from his worn robes.

“Hello, everyone,” he grinned, “How’s my birthday boy?”

“Moony!” Harry cried and reached out to him. Remus plucked him from Dumbledore’s arms and spun him around, making the child shriek with laughter. He hugged the child tightly and kissed him on top of his head before sitting down with him. He then reached over to Severus and patted his arm. He would have liked to spin him around too but was unsure of the reaction he would get. Severus studied him a minute before quietly saying, “Hi, ‘Emus”.

Lupin moved his hand up and stroked the child’s cheek, “Hi, Severus,” he answered with a warm smile, “Would you like a twirl too?”

Severus appeared to think about this a minute and then nodded. Lupin gave Harry to Dumbledore and twirled Severus around. To his surprise and delight, Severus laughed.

“You don’t look as tired as you did last month, Remus,” Arthur observed.

“No,” Lupin smiled as Molly fussed around him, giving him tea and cake, “Professor Snape made a great improvement to the formula for the Wolfsbane potion. It seems to have eased the fatigue a little.”

Dumbledore smiled as he tucked that particular piece of information away. “So that is what the present meant,” he thought. He would find a time to ask Severus about that when he was back to his adult self. It was certainly a very kind gesture from his surly potions master.

“Well, you’re still looking a bit pale dear. Eat all that up,” Molly Weasley was in full motherly mode and Remus did not argue. The cake was delicious.

Afterwards, they played some party games, such as “pass the parcel” and “Musical Chairs”. Hermione had taught them to play these Muggle games. Arthur, of course, had been fascinated. They did use some magic though, with chocolate frogs jumping out of each layer of wrapping on the parcel and chairs getting up and walking away when someone had lost their seat in musical chairs.

Harry had never been allowed to play party games at any of Dudley’s birthday parties and he was a little unsure. The warm, encouraging atmosphere gave him confidence, however, and he soon began to enjoy himself. Severus had never seen such a party in his deprived childhood and was every bit as nervous as Harry. Dumbledore, Ginny and Molly helped him to relax and enjoy the experience, too.

By the evening, they were all exhausted but happy. Harry was almost asleep in Lupin’s arms.

“I think we should go,” said the Headmaster softly, “ Thank you so much, all of you. You really made this day special for Harry and Severus.”

“You’re welcome, “ they all said.

“I’ll see you soon, Harry,” said Remus as he handed him back to Albus. Harry smiled and snuggled close to the Headmaster. He also gave Severus a kiss goodbye and Severus sleepily smiled. His smile grew wider when both Molly and Ginny repeated the gesture before Ginny blushed, thinking how embarrassing it would be if Professor Snape remembered it.

Dumbledore smiled at her, as if reading her thoughts, “Don’t worry, my dear. There are always memory charms,” his eyes twinkled and he waited for Ginny to realise he was joking. He patted her gently on the shoulder and she smiled.

Ron and Hermione also said their goodbyes to the toddlers.

Dumbledore, Harry and Severus apparated back to the grounds of Hogwarts and Albus walked carefully back to the castle with the now sleeping children in his arms.

Severus woke as he was lowered into bed and whimpered, a little confused.

“Shh, child. We’re home now. It’s all right,” Albus soothed him and sent him into pleasant dreams with a small sleeping charm.

“Happy Birthday, Harry” he murmured as he tucked the green-eyed boy into bed and brushed a kiss across his forehead.

Chapter End Notes:
Please R&R