Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Lunch and Oo-corns

Severus slept for over an hour in the headmaster's arms. Albus was concerned about the pinched, frightened look the child wore. It was as if he were afraid to sleep. This was not the way most little children slept and again, Dumbledore suspected that Severus's home had not been a happy one from the start. He continued to hum to him and rock little Severus until he felt the child relax, letting his calm demeanour transfer to the child.

Professor McGonagall returned with all the things they would need for a young child. Using a spell, she dressed the little boy in navy blue robes. Next, she produced some toys and other baby items.

Just before lunchtime, Severus's eyes fluttered open and he looked around. Upon realising that he was not in familiar surroundings, he began to tremble, his eyes filling with tears.

"Shhh little child," the headmaster soothed as he cuddled the toddler, "It's all right. You remember me, don't you? I'm Albus and this is Minerva. We are going to look after you and keep you safe."

"Yes pet," cooed McGonagall, "And I have some lovely toys for you to play with after we have some lunch."

She reached over and stroked his soft cheek. Dumbledore continued to cuddle him. They both watched as the fear left those dark eyes and curiosity replaced it.

Albus lifted the child up and walked over to the table where lunch had been set out. A high chair was sitting beside his place at the table.

"Now, Severus," he explained, "this is your chair. Why don't I set you into it and we shall have some lunch, hmmm?"

To his surprise, the little boy made no protest and soon he was eating all that he was given.

As they ate, Dumbledore and McGonagall discussed their plans for the day.

"I thought we could take Severus outside for a while," Minerva suggested, "He's much too pale. He needs sunshine and fresh air."

The headmaster nodded, "We could take him to see Hagrid, but we must be careful not to overwhelm him. He is still getting used to us, after all."

Dumbledore watched the child as he ate a yoghurt with a small, plastic spoon. Unfortunately one spoonful did not reach the boy's mouth and it landed on his robes. A look of utter dread crossed his little face.

McGonagall opened her mouth to speak, but Dumbledore raised a hand to silence her. They sat for a moment and simply watched to see what would happen.

Severus was confused and very frightened. There were the funny old man and the nice lady watching him. He was in trouble now. Daddy always got very angry when he spilled things. He shrunk back in the chair and covered his eyes with his hands.

To say that this reaction worried the two adults was a grave understatement. It was a sure sign of an abused child. Dumbledore decided he had to act now.

"Severus," he called softly, "It is all right, child. It was just an accident. May I clean your robe?"

Severus finally looked up from behind his hands and Albus smiled encouragingly at him, showing him a damp cloth. Moving closer, the old headmaster reached very carefully out and rubbed the yoghurt off the robe. A quick cleaning charm and it was as good as new.

"There we are pet. All gone." He smiled at Severus. Severus just stared at him for a minute before he opened his mouth.

"All gone," he repeated.

This was the first time he had spoken since the de-ageing potion and both adults beamed at him.

"Good boy, Severus," Dumbledore ruffled the soft dark hair, "Now, would you like me to help you with the rest of your lunch?"

Severus smiled shyly and allowed Albus to feed him.

When the lunch was finished and everything cleared away, Minerva gathered some outdoor toys together, while Albus put an outdoor robe on their young charge. Soon, they were walking through the Entrance hall and out into the Hogwarts grounds. Severus looked around open-mouthed. Clearly, he had not been allowed outside very much as a young child. They walked over to a large patch of grass and Minerva produced a large red ball.

"Catch, Severus," she called as she threw the ball to him. He caught it and threw it back to her with a squeal of delight.

Meanwhile, Albus was releasing a large kite in the shape of a Slytherin serpent. It flew high above them, wriggling and making the occasional hissing noise.

"My goodness, Minerva! You certainly know how to pick your toys, " beamed the headmaster, "Come here, Severus and help me fly this."

McGonagall reflected that Dumbledore looked every bit as excited as Severus did, as they ran around with the kite.

"Come along children," she called eventually, "We should go to visit Hagrid now."

"Hmph," Albus sulked, "You should remember to whom you are speaking, young lady. Such a way to address the headmaster." He put his hand on his hips with a mock-stern expression.

"It's been a long time since I was a young lady, Albus Dumbledore, and we are on holidays," McGonagall smirked.

Albus gave a dramatic sigh of defeat, causing her to laugh. Severus laughed with them though he had not understood their conversation. The deputy headmistress smiled fondly down at him.

"Come on, little one. I've got someone for you to meet," she reached out her hand and Severus placed his small one inside it. Turning, she started in the direction of Hagrid's hut but was stopped by a little cry.

"What's wrong Severus?" she asked in alarm before she saw him hold out his other hand to Dumbledore. The old man was trying to get the Slytherin kite serpent under control.

"Abus!" Severus wailed, Dumbledore looked up, startled. He had no idea the little boy could say his name.

"I'm coming, child," he said and came over to take the other little hand.

Severus seemed happy and he walked between them to a cosy little hut that sat on the edge of the Forbidden Forest.

Minerva rapped on the door and soon a large, cheerful face appeared.

" 'Allo Pr'fessor McGonagall, Pr'fessor Dumbledore sir," beamed the half- giant, "And who might this 'andsome little boy be?"

"This is Severus," Dumbledore answered for the child who had buried his face into his side.

"Well I bet ye'd like to see my new pet, wouldn't ye?" Hagrid said to the child.

"It isn't anything dangerous, is it Hagrid?" asked McGonagall sharply.

"Course not Pr'fessor," Hagrid chortled, "Come on round the back an' see."

He led them to the back of the hut, to a small patch of grass where Hagrid had kept the hippogriffs for his "Care of Magical Creatures" lessons.

However, it was not a hippogriff that was standing munching the grass, but what looked like a tiny, pure-white foal. It was so pure, in fact, that it almost shone. Closer inspection showed that there was a small, single horn on the creature's forehead. They gaped at it in astonishment.

"A unicorn!" gasped McGonagall, "How..?"

"Found 'er in the forest, " explained Hagrid, "Something had attacked the poor little mite. I 'ad ter bring 'er back an' look after 'er."

He looked a little tearful and Minerva patted his arm.

"Of course you did Hagrid," she said consolingly.

Dumbledore smiled at his friend. "She's beautiful, " he said, "Come, Severus. Do you want to stroke her?"

"Might be best if Pr'fessor McGonagall goes first," said Hagrid, "They prefer the female touch, see."

"Oh, of course. I forgot." said Albus. McGonagall reached out to pet the creature's head.

"She was a bit scared when I brought her in," said Hagrid, "Must 'ave got a bit of a fright in the forest."

Minerva brought Severus over to the unicorn and she allowed him to pet her.

"Horsey," said Severus.

Minerva chuckled. "That is a unicorn Severus," she corrected gently.

"Oo-corn," he tried.

"Very good," she smiled, "Unicorn."

Hagrid stared at Dumbledore in shock.

"He can talk well for a little 'un."

"Yes he can," areed the headmaster, "But he is a little like your unicorn, frightened. I think h is getting used to us, though."

Their conversation was cut off when Severus walked over to Albus and hugged him around the legs.

"Are you tired, my little one?" Dumbledore asked gently. He had not missed the child's unsteady gait.

"Yeah," murmured Severus against his robe and the headmaster bent down and picked him up. Severus snuggled close to him and put his thumb in his mouth.

"Time to go, I think," said Professor McGonagall briskly, "Thank you for the treat, Hagrid."

"No trouble, bye Severus," Hagrid beamed.

"Bye 'agrid," mumbled Severus and the man's smile grew wider.

"Goodbye Hagrid," Dumbledre's eyes twinkled, "I'll see you tomorrow."

With that, they walked back towards the school with the sleepy toddler.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to my wonderful beta reader excessivelyperky.